Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Personally speaking I'm aware of more suicide deaths in this county and a neighbouring county in the last short number of months than covid deaths in the same region.

So easy to say ,even demand what you believe should be done in response to rising covid positives.

People,things & everything else have their limits

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

wrangler wrote: »
    They're risking lives, The bereaved in Ramsgrange probably thought they meant well too.,

Really? having a marquee at a funeral with people from different countries arriving. In a pandemic

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Water John

ruwithme wrote: »
    Personally speaking I'm aware of more suicide deaths in this county and a neighbouring county in the last short number of months than covid deaths in the same region.

So easy to say ,even demand what you believe should be done in response to rising covid positives.

Yes, mental health is an issue that needs a much higher visibility and action during these times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Had to drop something up to athlone today and decided to do some last minute shopping went into the shopping centre it was mental.i turned and walked out was like a normal xmass in there masks were being worn but the amount of people and the general lack of social distancing really pissed off what is so important that people are putting there self's at risk .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,145 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Water John wrote: »
    Yes, mental health is an issue that needs a much higher visibility and action during these times.

Very difficult to fore see suicide, a lot of suicide around at the moment, Christmas is a lonely time, more so this year.

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    Really? having a marquee at a funeral with people from different countries arriving. In a pandemic

Yes, it's happening in isolated incidents all over. I know of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,519 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Hearing same. Even parents with young families doing away with themselves.

Terrible times.

I'm not judging any which way on anyone.
    The black dog can visit any person in different ways.

There's times though a visit to the burns unit in Crumlin Children's hospital I think should be made compulsory for everyone's education in secondary school to get some perspective on life.

Important thing to remember, all this is temporary. We're not starving to death or being thrown out on the street with no where to live. It's mostly mental at the moment.
    Eat well, no trash. Go a little silly over Christmas. The weather'll be fine over Christmas, get those walks in.
    Que sera sera but don't be too silly.
    The days are getting longer again from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

_Brian wrote: »
    We are in the middle of a sudden death in the family at the moment and it’s a massive additional stress to be honest. 95% of people are great but there’s those that want to be arms around you and shaking everyone’s hand no matter if they know who it is or not. Of course they mean well, but it’s a worry.
    Sorry for you're loss Brian. Really bad time of year for a funeral, an elderly neighbour passed the other day and a few neighbours and myself opened the grave. His son is a mid 40s bachelor and his mother is in a nursing home as was his father. He was very good to them though and he used to visit them nearly every evening before the restrictions came in. He's in a bad way at the moment, he used to spend Christmas day below with them the last couple of years and have the dinner with them but can't do that this year. Will be a lonely few weeks for him now. I invited him up for Christmas day for dinner but I don't think he'll come.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Sorry to hear that Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

The very same as this. A couple of desperately tragic cases locally, no doubt not helped in anyway by the lockdowns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Neddyusa wrote: »
    The very same as this. A couple of desperately tragic cases locally, no doubt not helped in anyway by the lockdowns

I read somewhere that theres a figure of 12 suicides a day on average this year. Mostly males under the age of 45

I went to Dunnes real early this morning. While they were restricting access it was crazy busy. Really uncomfortable.

Lost in action parcel from the UK arrived this morning, well done DPD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Those courier drivers have been under severe pressure this year. Some are great, others don't give a fiddlers. Had one lad dropped clothes the Mrs ordered for the chap at the door. My door is on the main street with people walking by all day every day. He just pegged it there. Worse was it was raining. Only the wife seen the van drive away and checked we'd not have seen it for hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ABlur

whelan2 wrote: »
    I went to Dunnes real early this morning. While they were restricting access it was crazy busy. Really uncomfortable.

Same as that in Limerick early this morning, massive queue to get in, pouring rain and dark. I left and went to the local Centra instead. The shops don't close for a week like they used to years ago. No one is going to starve. I think there is an element of lockdown buying combined with Christmas which doesn't help.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-illustration/3d-map-european-union-eu-without-440396119

Won't be long now until we're cast off to the mid Atlantic, :(

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Gave a work colleague a small bit of bog oak. a slab of teak and a few very rusty old drinker bowl I has planning projects for but never getting around to and was sick of pulling them out of skip bags that the mother kept filling. Also oh wants new to look like old, not old to look old. He’s a part timer, so does a bit on the side for a few euro or bespoke gifts- he was delighted with the stuff.

Anyway he gave me a call to say his mother was throwing out a perfectly good freezer due to living alone now. Popped over for it. Turned out it was a 460litre one- the same size as our own.

Delighted with it. I’ll set it up in mams shed and move the beef I was storing for the brother into it. My ear wont be as sore anymore.

ABlur wrote: »
    Same as that in Limerick early this morning, massive queue to get in, pouring rain and dark. I left and went to the local Centra instead. The shops don't close for a week like they used to years ago. No one is going to starve. I think there is an element of lockdown buying combined with Christmas which doesn't help.
    Had to get the Turkey and ham and had vouchers, so had no choice. Nice saving with the vouchers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,519 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

blue5000 wrote: »
    https://www.shutterstock.com/image-illustration/3d-map-european-union-eu-without-440396119

Won't be long now until we're cast off to the mid Atlantic, :(

There's a gap above Italy we could throw ourselves into..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

ABlur wrote: »

That and the whole Brexit thing. Heard that some supermarkets in the UK were being hammered.

Have enough here. Will be supporting the local shop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

There's a gap above Italy we could throw ourselves into..

I'd be able to grow lemons :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Lost power into the house. The pole in the field beside the house broke. No trees near it. It was just rotten. Theres a crew of ESB men here now. Just waiting on the digger to dig the hole. I offered to go at it with my 1990 3CX :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭straight

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Lost power into the house. The pole in the field beside the house broke. No trees near it. It was just rotten. Theres a crew of ESB men here now. Just waiting on the digger to dig the hole. I offered to go at it with my 1990 3CX :P

I'd imagine it would be well able. Does it give you any trouble? I'd like to have one around

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭davidk1394

straight wrote: »
    I'd imagine it would be well able. Does it give you any trouble? I'd like to have one around

A great machine to have around a yard. Put a new water pump in her last week and rebuilt the transmission earlier in the summer

Bought another 5 rolls of pre brexit shambles sheep wire today, lad in the merchants was tut tutting likening me to lads filling a tank of diesel before the budget. Says I, I'll need diesel next week, I'm hoping I won't need wire for 15 years or more!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭148multi

Bought another 5 rolls of pre brexit shambles sheep wire today, lad in the merchants was tut tutting likening me to lads filling a tank of diesel before the budget. Says I, I'll need diesel next week, I'm hoping I won't need wire for 15 years or more!

Not to burst your bubble

• Advertisement

148multi wrote: »
    Not to burst your bubble

Not at all, great if it's true. I needed the wire either way. Might be able pick up some Jan bargains now.

Advertisement