Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Went to a drive in movie this evening, we all really enjoyed it. The grinch

Going over the road in the digger an ad came on for tesco and their no beef beef Wellington. Why call it a beef Wellington if there's no beef in it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

whelan2 wrote: »
    Going over the road in the digger an ad came on for tesco and their no beef beef Wellington. Why call it a beef Wellington if there's no beef in it ?

Should be just called a Wellington.
    I think I'd sooner eat a Wellington:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

A couple of weeks ago I posted that 1 of the dogs was off form.

Inspite of the vets best efforts we decided to put her sleep a few days ago as obviously the meds and painkillers weren't working

Just like some of my mates this year, she was taken before her time

Got a card from the vets office this morning, most likely aimed at non farming community, but still a nice touch.

A new young collie is arriving in January and life goes.on.

Have a great Christmas everyone and cherish your family and loved ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

If you are a vegan and fundamentally oppose eating anything that had an animal involved in its preparation, why would you even dream of eating fake mince, fake "turkey roast" fake sausages etc, etc?
    To me it''s a bit like Muslims and the Pfizer vaccine,
    It's made with some pork produce, but the Imman says "Its all right boys, perfectly allowable as it's a medicine"
    Same with most fundamentalists, happily throw you in jail, ( or behead you) for not following their interpretation of the world, but if it suits their own purpose, well, then that's all right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Acquiescence

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    If you are a vegan and fundamentally oppose eating anything that had an animal involved in its preparation, why would you even dream of eating fake mince, fake "turkey roast" fake sausages etc, etc?

You'd imagine it's a marketing decision to open up the product with a level of familiarity to a wider demographic than just vegans.

You'd imagine it's a marketing decision to open up the product with a level of familiarity to a wider demographic than just vegans.

But there's no beef in it. Why call it something it's not?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Odelay

How about meat enriched vegan food? Can that be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Acquiescence

But there's no beef in it. Why call it something it's not?

I haven't heard the ad, from what you've said they've called it a 'no beef wellington' that probably gives a pretty clear indication from a marketing point of view that this is an approximation of a beef Wellington made with meat free substitute likely suitable for vegans but with a possibility of appealing to non-vegans.

That's a bit of a mouthful though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Odelay wrote: »
    How about meat enriched vegan food? Can that be done?

Aigle make a great non meat Wellington.
    I'd certainly recommend it to my vegan friends!
    Dunlop wouldn't be bad either. :D

• Advertisement

Worst thing about Christmas is not knowing what day it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,218 ✭✭✭Grueller

Last year I was cleaning out sheds between Christmas and New year. A neighbour came in and says you must be fierce busy. Not really says I, why. He says sure to at that of a Sunday. I genuinely didn't know what day it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,519 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

You have it 100%.

It's to appeal to those who eat the regular Wellingtons..
    All these fake meats are made to get that market share.
    Fake burgers, fake sausages, fake butter, fake milk. Fake, fake, fake. Fake food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

You have it 100%.

Fake burgers, fake sausages, fake butter, fake milk. Fake, fake, fake. Fake food.

Fake news :D

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Fake news :D

I don't believe you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Or when to stop eating

Reggie. wrote: »
    Or when to stop eating

Are the kids excited?

Reggie. wrote: »
    Or when to stop eating

When the ham runs out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

You have it 100%.

On that subject I noticed in the last few weeks that nearly all the major outlets are promoting Linda McCartney's range of veggie burgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Grueller wrote: »
    Last year I was cleaning out sheds between Christmas and New year. A neighbour came in and says you must be fierce busy. Not really says I, why. He says sure to at that of a Sunday. I genuinely didn't know what day it was.

(Unfortunately) I met a woman this evening walking her 2 dogs around 4.30. Family are running big dairy operation . Pure slaves. Do everthing themselves "Glad I met ya" says she." Would ya ever go back to our place and hang a sliding door in the calving house?" She was dead serious.
    They have me addled over it all year. 3 times in the last week they've been on to me. This is a full days work involving 6×3s, Henderson track and cladding.
    They'll spend tomorrow like every other day milking and feeding cattle. The idea of chilling out and making a pig of yourself for one day even is foreign to them.
    All she wanted to know then was could I come up on Monday. One thing I'll guarantee there'll be no turkey or ham leftovers for dinner there. Make sure to eat a good breakfast before ya go up to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

(Unfortunately) I met a woman this evening walking her 2 dogs around 4.30. Family are running big dairy operation . Pure slaves. Do everthing themselves "Glad I met ya" says she." Would ya ever go back to our place and hang a sliding door in the calving house?" She was dead serious.
    They have me addled over it all year. 3 times in the last week they've been on to me. This is a full days work involving 6×3s, Henderson track and cladding.
    They'll spend tomorrow like every other day milking and feeding cattle. The idea of chilling out and making a pig of yourself for one day even is foreign to them.
    All she wanted to know then was could I come up on Monday. One thing I'll guarantee there'll be no turkey or ham leftovers for dinner there. Make sure to eat a good breakfast before ya go up to them.

Era the other side to that is they've been asking you to hang a door for them all year and you haven't bothered. If I met you out on a walk Christmas Eve I'd ask the same thing.

On the other hand Christmas day is Christmas day. Why work the whole day unless you have to.

Tomorrow is Friday, no harm asking a fella to come on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭straight

Why didn't you just do it all year? I feel the woman's pain. Its impossible to get anyone to do anything for you and calving just around the corner. No wonder they do it all themselves. I can't stand the false promises and downright lies from tradesmen.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

When the ham runs out

Getting there. Young lad just got a bruder cattle truck. Hes like a dealer going around the place

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Tomorrow is Friday, no harm asking a fella to come on Monday.

Why isnt Monday a bank holiday? Boxing day on Saturday which is a bank holiday thought it would carry over to Monday

Why isnt Monday a bank holiday? Boxing day on Saturday which is a bank holiday thought it would carry over to Monday

Boxing day?

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Boxing day?

Apologies st Stephen's day

Apologies st Stephen's day

Haha no offense taken. I dunno maybe the bank holiday carries over, in any case they've been asking the person all year to come so it's a bit rich for him to come on complaining how they would dare ask him on Christmas Eve.

• Advertisement

Birdnuts wrote: »
    On that subject I noticed in the last few weeks that nearly all the major outlets are promoting Linda McCartney's range of veggie burgers.

You'd see the same advertising for those meat free burgers on terrestrial television.
    With the burger eaters deliberately shown as vampires.
    Expect more for the now annual attacks on livestock farmers on social media in January.

Advertisement