Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

Few yrs back had bother with the baler so asked the local contractor to finish the 8 acres told me I am busy today will fit you in between today and tomorrow. He never came at all. Always used him to cut the hedges on the road never asked him again. Met him in October he said I see the hedges are cut. I just smiled at him nodded and said so are the bales made.

Wouldn't ask twice if you didn't come I'd get someone else

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

straight wrote: »
    Why didn't you just do it all year? I feel the woman's pain. Its impossible to get anyone to do anything for you and calving just around the corner. No wonder they do it all themselves. I can't stand the false promises and downright lies from tradesmen.

Busting my hole all year at concrete and shuttering there. They had a shed erector in at start of the year. They were complaining about his progress too. He made the door but never hung it. She's a miserated yoke. They got 3 fields of maize from me this year. That must be paid for yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

(Unfortunately) I met a woman this evening walking her 2 dogs around 4.30. Family are running big dairy operation . Pure slaves. Do everthing themselves "Glad I met ya" says she." Would ya ever go back to our place and hang a sliding door in the calving house?" She was dead serious.
    They have me addled over it all year. 3 times in the last week they've been on to me. This is a full days work involving 6×3s, Henderson track and cladding.
    They'll spend tomorrow like every other day milking and feeding cattle. The idea of chilling out and making a pig of yourself for one day even is foreign to them.
    All she wanted to know then was could I come up on Monday. One thing I'll guarantee there'll be no turkey or ham leftovers for dinner there. Make sure to eat a good breakfast before ya go up to them.
    They probably wanted the place reasonably tidied up for Christmas Day.
    Or maybe they watch the forecast and have calves in the shed and wanted it done before the snow on Monday.

I dried off the cows mid November. I had a conversation with a builder in August/September to put down concrete. This was an area where the milk lorry goes. But anyways I was fitted in a few days ago.
    The crew were working right up till this evening doing concrete work.

Went to a Turkey farm once for the farm relief.
    Dinner was potatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Went to Turkey farm once for the farm relief.
    Dinner was potatoes.

I'm a bit simple now, but what do you mean by this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

Busting my hole all year at concrete and shuttering there. They had a shed erector in at start of the year. They were complaining about his progress too. He made the door but never hung it. She's a miserated yoke. They got 3 fields of maize from me this year. That must be paid for yet.

Have they failed to pay you for anything yet

A working relationship needs to be better than that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Fr Ted Christmas special on now

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I'm a bit simple now, but what do you mean by this?

I worked on a farm that reared turkeys.

The dinner was a plate of potatoes in the middle of the table. Pick whatever you want and a mug of water.
    In the tradesmans back kitchen.

(It was in relation to the complaining of food arrangements).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Well foxy, it looks like you're the Christmas roast this year!

And on another subject...

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »

For a real good roast, check out Don Rickles roasts on YouTube, proper humour.

I hear the vet's fees are coming down next year..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭2018na

I worked on a farm that reared turkeys.

The dinner was a plate of potatoes in the middle of the table. Pick whatever you want and a mug of water.
    In the tradesmans back kitchen.

(It was in relation to the complaining of food arrangements).
    Any building trade brings or gets his own lunch now. Has been like this years. I always refuse tea whether it’s buckingham palace or a slatted shed and everything in between. I’m no master chef myself but you would be taking your life in your hands eating in some of the gaffs I’ve been in

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭2018na

Did you ever see the episode where they feed James Herriot in all creatures great and small ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

I'll never learn. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Shame on you

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Yera foxy if thats your biggest problem you're doing alright. By the sounds of it you d be better er off never hanging that door.theres a reason that they couldn't get anyone to hang it along

• Registered Users Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Keep an eye out folks.

Santa has been and gone here in Cavan.

Good luck everyone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Just off the phone with eldest in Melbourne. I finished up prepping the veg, the ham is cooked and I'm having a glass of wine.
    With the help of a local friend (the guy who lent us his diet feeder) I got bales of straw into the dry bedded sheds this evening. It's the one job that I always like to do on Christmas Eve - make sure that they have fresh bedding. He dropped extra bales around the feed passages/areas so all I have to do is fork them out and make a mix in the diet feeder tomorrow morning.
    Then cook the dinner for OH, me and my brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭straight

_Brian wrote: »
    Keep an eye out folks.

Good luck everyone!!

He's been here too. Talk about stress....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

_Brian wrote: »
    Keep an eye out folks.

Good luck everyone!!

Heard noise from Sitting room and can confirm he has passed through Leitrim as well;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Birdnuts wrote: »
    On that subject I noticed in the last few weeks that nearly all the major outlets are promoting Linda McCartney's range of veggie burgers.

Follow the money. Flog **** to the masses on the supposed basis that its 'caring' or some such crap. As my grandmother used to say "Mor yea"

And on topic following Patsys recent thread. And to the the latest. Two weeks ban for another innocuous comment...

From the very same who raved that they be allowed to infer others rapists etc without as much as a blink

What's new eh?

Patsy's not wrong for sure ....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Very easy going here this year. Everyone happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Had to get up earlier then I planned this morning. Fierce bad pain when I inhale on the top right hand side of my rib cage. Already on strong antibiotics for an infection. I was out planting trees yesterday so hoping it's that. Will see how it goes today. Eased off now a bit since I'm up out of bed.

Anyway Turkey in the oven, dogs and oulfella still asleep. Candle lighting in the window in memory of my mam and lyric fm on for some nice Christmas music thats not the usual Christmas fm / rte stuff. Hope ye all have a great day.

NcdJd wrote: »
    Had to get up earlier then I planned this morning. Fierce bad pain when I inhale on the top right hand side of my rib cage. Already on strong antibiotics for an infection. I was out planting trees yesterday so hoping it's that. Will see how it goes today. Eased off now a bit since I'm up out of bed.

Anyway Turkey in the oven, dogs and oulfella still asleep. Candle lighting in the window in memory of my mam and lyric fm on for some nice Christmas music thats not the usual Christmas fm / rte stuff. Hope ye all have a great day.

Take care of yourself NcdJd. I've had pleurisy and pneumonia previously - both nasty doses for sure . Happy Christmas to you and your dad.

No sighting of Santa - though a large group of really bad tempered elves who were seen loitering around the area. Apparently they were complaining that they did all the donkey work whilst the bloke in the red suit gets all the appreciation...

Happy Christmas to all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Them elves....!
    Happy Christmas everyone!

8EaZgD1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Have a good one everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

Hope everyone has a great day,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Hope everyone has a great day,

Same to you lad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

The ould lad got a book on the local history. And theres a picture overlooking our ground and I said that was taken a while ago. Ah no my dad says it was only taken in 1974!!
    Theres trees in the picture that were cut, replanted and ready to be cut again!!

Advertisement