Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Played soccer for 16 yrs and now junior b into my early 40s and dairy farming. Maybe I'm too slow to get injured..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

There was a media report a few years back about the vast increases in the amount of hip operations required in 18-22 yo males from over training. I'd a chat with an experienced physio friend and she was advising that up to young teenagers, children should engage in running based activities no more that 4 times a week.

You'd want to take a lot of these numpties involved in coaching with a pinch of salt and look out for the child. I say this having spent as long as I could playing competitive sport as an adult and now as an under age coach across three codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Your definitely right about the vicarious parents but funny enough, the standard is nothing to do with it often. You'd have a bigger crowd at a junior match between local rivals than at a senior championship match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭visatorro

Apparently S and C coaches from other sports can't understand how there isn't more recovery time in gaa. Its just as important as fitness training.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Definitely. I suffered burn out myself, pushing too hard. As players we just want to compete, that’s where good coaches and club management come to the fore. Some players need a push and others held back, can’t do the same routine for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I had a soccer team-up to this year had 24 at training and a match day squad of 17-19. Everyone got a half a game. My co manager- worked on the basis of respect and if you disrespected anyone- you got a warning and after that you were off. We won a lot of our matches and when we lost- it was a “May it be the worst thing that happens you this week and let’s see how can we fix it for next week” approach.

rarely would our players even get a yellow at our age group. One lad in particular was borrowed for an older age group and it was win at all costs and he was sent off 3 times,

fast forward to this year- we couldn’t enter a test at u15s because gaa training clashed with our matches and neither side would have a conversation let alone compromises that paired with the junior cert and natural drop off- we were only guaranteed 9 so we had to pull the team.

spend about 3 weeks taking calls off the maybe parents saying Twas an awful tragedy.

I just jump in now when someone is short of a trainer.

in other news, i freed up 4 hours/week. I’ll have to take up a hobby.,

• Registered Users Posts: 29,515 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

It's very hard to accommodate both gaelic and soccer, dont know why most pick gaelic as most are treated like shite compared to soccer

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Danny healy ray

was talking to lad recently he son was handy at gaelic and soccer give both up since Christmas to take up boxing his father was saying he's son is slippery sowing so in the ring !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I done a bit of it for 4 or 5 years. It was the only sport I didn't pick up injuries. Very underestimated, never felt better when I Was fit from it. Hurling fingers are a killer. Soccer ankles and knees. I'd say the reason kids are in the gyms is more for Instagram as well as their hurling careers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Used to train boxing when I was a teenager. Wasn't much good, however, I trained alongside a county minor hurler who claimed the boxing cardio was far and above what was required for other sports.

• Advertisement

There's a thread on boards at the moment of a parent trying to move their 12 year old son to another hurling club but gaa aren't allowing it. Doesn't paint the gaa in a good light at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

You seem to be very Anti-GAA Whelan. i can honestly say ive only had good experiences as an average kid who played gaa and then as a parent of a child whos playing it now. The gaa has improved from when i was a child and theres proper thought put into coaching and development. The facilities are top notch also, probably far ahead of soccer for the most part due to the John Delaney saga.

I've had a good few dealings with them. 1 kid not very good at football but trying hard, not played, went to training etc, sit on bench. Daughter, good player but didnt need her, welcome to come to training. Srayed playing soccer, much nicer atmosphere. Youngest lad got on county squad , local team needed him , he didn't want to play gaelic anymore , picked soccer. Very unlucky with the mentors for the 2 older kids, it was all who you are rather than helping the kids progress. I did help out in club.

Sadly as you mention it’s allot to do with mentors

This can be due to senior exc in old club deliberately delaying. I’ve not experienced this myself but have heard stories.

Gaa club rang a few weeks ago looking for him to come back, he's gone 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭enricoh

A friend was coaching 12 year olds last year. Ended up turning phone off Saturday evenings as little Jimmy's ma or da would hassle him for not starting/ subbing their superstar.

Sunny day, BBQ n clatter of cans , then abuse him!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Teams wouldn't be much good if the lazy players were allowed play a match....... even the good players would give up in frustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭green daries

I don't understand your comment but that's how they earned the snowflake generation name. Sulk instead of trying harder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,411 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Snowflake and woke are terms created by American right wing loonies. Simply terms of abuse for those whom they disagree with. Sport at under age level is mainly about inclusion. If winning the U12 county is the peak of ambition for a coach, then they have missed the point.

The problem is though you've kids who play all the time, can solo etc. Then you've others who dont kick a ball from one week to the next. These are all expected to play as one team and be fair. One of the kids here had no interest in football until he was 9, so skipped all the academy stuff other kids did and he got on the best. He was more interested in collecting stones and pinecones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭green daries

I think it starts too early for kids it's too serious and there's way too much training and gym work involved. But I do remember being really competitive at under12 . Now I wasn't the best by a long shot but I remember i detested loosing a match. But I still remember telling our under 14 manager that the two lads on the bench had to play as well orvwed have no lads on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭50HX

It's a balancing act, same as the level of homework at primary level when my youngest started I was shocked at the amount of homework for senior Infants

Like the sports at u7 & u9 what happened to kids left being kids, far better social development benefits at that age v over focusing on winning.

We had a good few handy minors here the last few years, called into county squads etc, they've drifted off & barely play senior club now

The common demoninator is they were all the best in their underage group & pushed up a grades too early, over played & trained, sick of it by 18 then

I'm all for finding a way to be better & take the lessons of loosing, god knows they'll all have enough disappointments in life as that's part of the make up of life but u12 up is plenty of time to be driving them on....let them fall in love with the game first

• Registered Users Posts: 21,411 ✭✭✭✭Water John

All teams bar one loses. So it's a thing kids have to get used to and deal with. No harm in hating it happen, good for motivation.

The gym work and being moved up ages too quickly and not being played seem to be more gaelic stuff. What used to really annoy me was bringing a panel of 30 lads to a championship game and knowing 10 of them wouldn't get game time, no need for it. Lads two age groups down getting played and lads who are the age benched

Is it not time to discipline GAA before there's real damage done, I'd say this sissy fighting on the pitch is a real example of snowflakes, or beating the ref outside the gates.

snowflakes

noun. informal, derogatory. the generation of people who became adults in or after the 2010s, viewed as being less resilient and more prone to taking offence than previous generations. Collins English Dictionary. Copyright © HarperCollins Publishers.

Or

"Snowflake" is a derogatory slang term for a person, implying that they have an inflated sense of uniqueness, an unwarranted sense of entitlement, or are overly emotional, easily offended. Wikipedia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭50HX

Yeah thats a complete non runner whelan, bench warming & looking at a fella 2 years younger than you drafted in

There is alot of merit to the way NZ work their underage rugby system, up to a certain age its grouped on ability largely iirc

U7’s/8’s is a Saturday morning trying to learn skills and having fun games. U9/10 is the introduction of go games, 4 off 10 mins where you try to give every player as much game time as possible, if numbers are there split into more games. U11/12 is same. U13/14 is the start of competition. I don’t agree with upgrading or eliminations if there’s enough players of the correct age to field a team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Advertisement