Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Is there such a thing as a reliable budget chainsaw? I'd be exaggerating if I said I was an occasional user, it's much less than that! A chainsaw would be handy for a few small jobs, I want to split a few hundred posts lengthways to support tree guards. Be handy for trimming and shaping posts fencing as well. My old saw is beyond saving. I don't be cutting trees or logs.
    I bought 5. For the price of 5 in Ireland I could have bought 8.8 (.8 yeah I know) from Spain.

I'll take Mary Harneys advice, shop around!

Mary knew all about value ..... !

XPFJwBI.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭straight

I bought 5. For the price of 5 in Ireland I could have bought 8.8 (.8 yeah I know) from Spain.

In fairness to the retailer I would say that it was the excise tax that was the difference.

straight wrote: »
    In fairness to the retailer I would say that it was the excise tax that was the difference.

I'm not attacking retailers, I'm attacking the amount that comes out of my own pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Anyone know a Wellington that good around the ankle for support, done mines last year and dont want a repeat again!

• Advertisement

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Anyone know a Wellington that good around the ankle for support, done mines last year and dont want a repeat again!

I wonder would you be looking at a boot and gaiter type arrangement?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Years ago I bought 18yo Jameson for the Ozzie BIL- €144 in Tesco. I had been saving tokens and points etc.

€57 in Dubai in duty free.

He ended up mixing it with Coca Cola. 😥

Years ago I bought 18yo Jameson for the Ozzie BIL- €144 in Tesco. I had been saving tokens and points etc.

€57 in Dubai in duty free.

He ended up mixing it with Coca Cola. ��

Thankfully the lads I gave this to recognised it's too good to mix! I spotted Connemara marble whiskey stones when I was looking, stick them in the freezer and they act like ice without the dilution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Ah, am sure there will be some morning you’ll wake up with a big head, and you’ll say to yourself ‘jaysus, am glad I didn’t buy any more than 5”
    :):);)

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Walked/hiked Moylousa which is the highest point in Clare this morning with the wife and kids. Feeling good after it. Snowing good and hard at the the top.
    Wife said we'd do it for Milford hospice seeing as her mam passed away just 2 months ago from cancer. So we were joined by my 2 sisters and their husbands and kids.
    When we got out of the car a Robin red breast hopped around us. Quiet literally at our feet . Was there again when we got back down over 2 hours later. Don't they say robins represent a lost relative!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

https://www.caulfieldindustrial.com/p/dewalt-hobart-premium-neoprene-safety-wellingtons/p-r25620

Badly done my knee in Sept, bought these bad boys and there great. They weight f all after but they do look heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

NcdJd wrote: »
    Had to get up earlier then I planned this morning. Fierce bad pain when I inhale on the top right hand side of my rib cage. Already on strong antibiotics for an infection. I was out planting trees yesterday so hoping it's that. Will see how it goes today. Eased off now a bit since I'm up out of bed.

Anyway Turkey in the oven, dogs and oulfella still asleep. Candle lighting in the window in memory of my mam and lyric fm on for some nice Christmas music thats not the usual Christmas fm / rte stuff. Hope ye all have a great day.

How are you doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

whelan2 wrote: »
    How are you doing?

Better now Whelan thanks. The antibiotics is after clearing the chills and sweats. That pain when I breath I think was muscle related. It's nearly gone now but was out planting and moving trees so I think I just over did it. The bloods came back ok but have to get one of them liver scans. Doctor said I need to cut down on the alcohol but I said I'd only had about 4 cans since March. So she said it maybe related to the infection I got.

Going to be a bit more sensible when I'm out and about, wear gloves and properly cover up when I'm clearing away briars. Own fault whelan. I was just worried if my condition worsened id have to go into hospital for intravenous antibiotics and miss Christmas day!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,145 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Better now Whelan thanks. The antibiotics is after clearing the chills and sweats. That pain when I breath I think was muscle related. It's nearly gone now but was out planting and moving trees so I think I just over did it. The bloods came back ok but have to get one of them liver scans. Doctor said I need to cut down on the alcohol but I said I'd only had about 4 cans since March. So she said it maybe related to the infection I got.

Going to be a bit more sensible when I'm out and about, wear gloves and properly cover up when I'm clearing away briars. Own fault whelan. I was just worried if my condition worsened id have to go into hospital for intravenous antibiotics and miss Christmas day!

Probably lack of alcohol so:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Hoggs are tight fitting around the ankle and have good support and a Vibram sole which has lots of support. I've had achilles issues and the Hoggs wellies work for me.

However, that said; if I had a broken ankle I'd be wearing the high Meindl Dovre or Taiga boots and gaiters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    When we got out of the car a Robin red breast hopped around us. Quiet literally at our feet . Was there again when we got back down over 2 hours later. Don't they say robins represent a lost relative!

Funny you say that ye all probably think I'm daft but any time I see a Robin watching me from a tree I immediately think of my mam. She loved nature and for some reason its not only me but my brother and father as well, and between the three of us we would have no truck with superstitions. Strange. Of all birds they seem to be the most tamest and at ease with humans even in a non urban setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Vets sent a lovely online Christmas card of a robin painted by one of the staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Funny you say that ye all probably think I'm daft but any time I see a Robin watching me from a tree I immediately think of my mam. She loved nature and for some reason its not only me but my brother and father as well, and between the three of us we would have no truck with superstitions. Strange. Of all birds they seem to be the most tamest and at ease with humans even in a non urban setting.

I would be the same, my late mother loved animals and used to nearly see any wild bullock as target to tame them. She always had two dogs by her side, she had them trained to open gates & everything for her. Now anytime I see a robin I aways think of her too, especially when I am doing anything around the crush there aways seems to be a robin only a few feet away. I do often smile to meself when I see them perched on the gate.
    I would be the same as yourself in that superstitious wouldn't be something I would get overly concerned about.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Robins are territorial, he's not going to move away just because you're around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Found a dead robin in the garage and the cat looking particularly pleased with themselves...
    Am I in trouble? :)

Edit - Reminds me, a few years ago, the kids were very small. And they had been told that robins used to watch if they were being good or not, and report back to Santy...
    Then, one day, they saw the cat being a dead robin to the door - you could see their faces drop... You could see them thinking that the cat had killed Santa’s emissary and they were now fcuked in the naughty or nice stakes... :)
    We had to make up some story and that they would be ok for Christmas... :)
    Funny now, but too some amount of work to convince them all was ok...
    Fcuking cat... :)

• Advertisement

Any plans for new year's eve?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Called into lawn to the parents pre christmas, say watch a film:-(

Yup, stay home.

Yup, stay home.

I'm normally asleep by 11pm new years eve :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭straight

Usually sleep through it. I enjoy the year in review programmes usually. Might go mad and share some lidl prosecco with the wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Not this year. I will probably be in bed and fast asleep by midnight. I try and get to bed by 10.30/11pm most nights now since I'm back full time farming on my own most of the time as well as cooking/housekeeping/general gofer etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Odelay

straight wrote: »
    Usually sleep through it. I enjoy the year in review programmes usually. Might go mad and share some lidl prosecco with the wife.

Normally I like them year in review programs, but not this year, will give them a skip. Have had enough of 2020.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Odelay wrote: »
    Normally I like them year in review programs, but not this year, will give them a skip. Have had enough of 2020.

+1 on the above. I've often listened to the auld fella talk about what Ireland was like during his childhood and his views on how the world has changed. It's almost impossible to believe how far we've came from a life of mainly subsistence farming and real poverty for many to the relative comfort and excess of modern times in a few decades. He often stated that the rural lifestyle of Ireland in 1950 had far more in common with the year 1800 than 2000.

I believe we're living through another age of change and I doubt if life will ever return completely to what it was like precovid. We'll soon arrive at the first anniversary of Covid19 in this country and it's surprising how short our memories are. Everything becomes routine after a while and what life was like beforehand becomes a distant and unfamiliar concept. The Americans use the phrase "you don't know what it was like because you weren't there" about Vietnam and I believe we"ll talk in similar tones to future generations about the year's before 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Jeez ye are some craic lads. Ye remind me if when I spend New Years at the in laws, all sound asleep by midnight and me awake wishing I'd gone to the pub...

• Advertisement

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Jeez ye are some craic lads. Ye remind me if when I spend New Years at the in laws, all sound asleep by midnight and me awake wishing I'd gone to the pub...

All the best nights I can think of have failed to involve a pub

Advertisement