Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭straight

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Jeez ye are some craic lads. Ye remind me if when I spend New Years at the in laws, all sound asleep by midnight and me awake wishing I'd gone to the pub...

All the cool people stopped going to the pub in 1999 for new years eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Jeez ye are some craic lads. Ye remind me if when I spend New Years at the in laws, all sound asleep by midnight and me awake wishing I'd gone to the pub...

With pubs, clubs and restaurants to be closed on New Year's Eve I'd say you'll have to join them...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

gozunda wrote: »
    With pubs, clubs and restaurants to be closed on New Year's Eve I'd say you'll have to join them...

Can't even do that this year they are up in Drogheda!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭davidk1394

NYE in Ireland isn't seen as a big deal compared to other countries. For the last 2 years I went to Dingle. Some of the best nights I ever had. The best craic was out on the streets talking to different people. New years day out to Paudie o Sheas for the day and back into Dingle at 6pm or so and back at it. The road home the next was very long indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Isn't there great satisfaction out of fixing a leaky drinker. Or maybe it's just me :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

straight wrote: »
    All the cool people stopped going to the pub in 1999 for new years eve.

Remember was working that night at the airport. Glad I missed it. Worked a 24 hour shift due to Y2K. Myself and the security guard on the top floor of the building watching the fireworks. One delivery to British Airways in Belfast about 5 minutes after midnight. Nothing after that so dozed off in the chair afterwards.

Always skip new years eve as it's not my thing. Pubs jammers and that poxy auld lang sine song at the end of the night. New years grinch here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Right I'm off!

20201229-142327.jpg

to rosslare. :D

Right I'm off!

20201229-142327.jpg

to rosslare. :D

If you get up close you can try and get the holiday feeling watching the trucks board the ship :D

Post a postcard ha

NcdJd wrote: »
    If you get up close you can try and get the holiday feeling watching the trucks board the ship :D

Post a postcard ha

I wasn't the only one there neither. Carpark overlooking the port was full.

Called past the national vehicle distribution centre then and all the An Post electric vehicles stood out a mile in the park.
    Lorries loading up then with new vehicles for the dealers.

The Sun always shines in that part of the country compared to cloud in my own part..

I wasn't the only one there neither. Carpark overlooking the port was full.

Called past the national vehicle distribution centre then and all the An Post electric vehicles stood out a mile in the park.
    Lorries loading up then with new vehicles for the dealers.

The Sun always shines in that part of the country compared to cloud in my own part..

I'd say there's some amount of new cars being brought in before the 1st of January!

• Advertisement

NcdJd wrote: »
    I'd say there's some amount of new cars being brought in before the 1st of January!

It looked fairly full.

A few new cars and trucks at the port itself.

20201229-142337.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Many many years ago we went on our annual summer holiday in the caravan. Mother, father, myself and the sister. We'd for years headed to Mosney, then we hit Ballybunion for a few turns. One year, out of the blue we were going to go for 2 weeks! The turf was home early, hay was in the shed and there was a window to go before getting the straw home. I'm gone off on a tangent.

We headed for Ferrybank caravan park right at that massive bridge in Wexford town. Some spot. A pool, cafe, few arcade machines and working toilet facilities. The father bought the local paper and there was a coupon for a return trip to Pembroke for 4, at the reasonable price of £13.

We hit Rosslare in time for the boat. Parked up and boarded. What a thrill to be on a big ship for the first time. We set sail 3 hours after we were due to leave. No idea why. Myself and the sister had the whole thing explored before we left the dock. Now 3 hours or so at sea with little to do. Boredom set in and the father slept.

I managed to find my way to the level where the trucks were parked. Spent a good while walking around there. Then found an emergency door with a big hydraulic ram. I knew outside that door was the sea, but there was a lever there to allow me open the door. I looked for ages, but decided against it (note if the sister was with me at this time she would have 100% pulled the lever).

Once in Pembroke we got off and got an ice cream. Another massive thrill cos I'd never seen this brand before. Crazy Welsh with their non HP ice cream in the shop. Bad news was we had no sterling to pay for it but the father being a wheeler dealer got chatting and 2 free ice creams were handed over. It wasn't even nice and I gave it to the father. Then back on the boat, and back to the caravan park.

Probably spent no more than 15 minutes in Pembroke as the ship had to return home, and was 3 hours late getting there.

All in all, a memorable day and we often ask each other here "Do ye remember the day we went to Wales for an ice-cream?" Forever more when I think of Rosslare or ships I think of that day, and that ice-cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭emaherx

Isn't there great satisfaction out of fixing a leaky drinker. Or maybe it's just me :D

Depends whether it was a straw bedded shed or not, not much satisfaction in cleaning up a flooded straw bedded area. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

emaherx wrote: »
    Depends whether it was a straw bedded shed or not, not much satisfaction in cleaning up a flooded straw bedded area. :rolleyes:

Brings to mind memories of cleaning out beds of sopping wet straw in cold weather. Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Tileman

Lovely bright day today. Once you were moving around it was nice.
    Got all the sheep dosed for fluke and gave the store lambs the second vaccination for heptavac p.
    Moved ewe lambs down to different ground. All on all a very productive day.
    Sit in front of tv for the evening now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

It looked fairly full.

A few new cars and trucks at the port itself.

20201229-142337.jpg

Any tractors?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Reggie. wrote: »
    Any tractors?

Did you buy one?

whelan2 wrote: »
    Did you buy one?

Lady never tells

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Many many years ago we went on our annual summer holiday in the caravan. Mother, father, myself and the sister. We'd for years headed to Mosney, then we hit Ballybunion for a few turns. One year, out of the blue we were going to go for 2 weeks! The turf was home early, hay was in the shed and there was a window to go before getting the straw home. I'm gone off on a tangent.

We headed for Ferrybank caravan park right at that massive bridge in Wexford town. Some spot. A pool, cafe, few arcade machines and working toilet facilities. The father bought the local paper and there was a coupon for a return trip to Pembroke for 4, at the reasonable price of £13.

We hit Rosslare in time for the boat. Parked up and boarded. What a thrill to be on a big ship for the first time. We set sail 3 hours after we were due to leave. No idea why. Myself and the sister had the whole thing explored before we left the dock. Now 3 hours or so at sea with little to do. Boredom set in and the father slept.

I managed to find my way to the level where the trucks were parked. Spent a good while walking around there. Then found an emergency door with a big hydraulic ram. I knew outside that door was the sea, but there was a lever there to allow me open the door. I looked for ages, but decided against it (note if the sister was with me at this time she would have 100% pulled the lever).

Once in Pembroke we got off and got an ice cream. Another massive thrill cos I'd never seen this brand before. Crazy Welsh with their non HP ice cream in the shop. Bad news was we had no sterling to pay for it but the father being a wheeler dealer got chatting and 2 free ice creams were handed over. It wasn't even nice and I gave it to the father. Then back on the boat, and back to the caravan park.

Probably spent no more than 15 minutes in Pembroke as the ship had to return home, and was 3 hours late getting there.

All in all, a memorable day and we often ask each other here "Do ye remember the day we went to Wales for an ice-cream?" Forever more when I think of Rosslare or ships I think of that day, and that ice-cream.

Epic family adventure

Reggie. wrote: »
    Any tractors?

Not one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

_Brian wrote: »
    Epic family adventure
    Great memory to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

+1 on the above. I've often listened to the auld fella talk about what Ireland was like during his childhood and his views on how the world has changed. It's almost impossible to believe how far we've came from a life of mainly subsistence farming and real poverty for many to the relative comfort and excess of modern times in a few decades. He often stated that the rural lifestyle of Ireland in 1950 had far more in common with the year 1800 than 2000.

I believe we're living through another age of change and I doubt if life will ever return completely to what it was like precovid. We'll soon arrive at the first anniversary of Covid19 in this country and it's surprising how short our memories are. Everything becomes routine after a while and what life was like beforehand becomes a distant and unfamiliar concept. The Americans use the phrase "you don't know what it was like because you weren't there" about Vietnam and I believe we"ll talk in similar tones to future generations about the year's before 2020.
    Just one line in this post albert struck me.unable for the knowledge of how to highlight it.

The "how far we've come" bit. I sometimes wonder have we or have we actually went backwards. When your father was a young man, there was a milked cow at every house,probably a pig or two,& a horse or donkey e.t.c. potatoes grown for the house & maybe vegetables, bread making skills in house and little or no reliance on electricity. Probably too many similar themes to mention here.

My point i suppose is our heavy reliance on technology & things like that. All the while the simple methods (yes undoubtedly some must have been pure torture & hardship)have being lost down through the years.

In the event of a big weather related event ever striking this island & maybe the neighbours too,we've little or no alternatives to how we now live.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Water John

ruwithme wrote: »
    Just one line in this post albert struck me.unable for the knowledge of how to highlight it.

The "how far we've come" bit. I sometimes wonder have we or have we actually went backwards. When your father was a young man, there was a milked cow at every house,probably a pig or two,& a horse or donkey e.t.c. potatoes grown for the house & maybe vegetables, bread making skills in house and little or no reliance on electricity. Probably too many similar themes to mention here.

My point i suppose is our heavy reliance on technology & things like that. All the while the simple methods (yes undoubtedly some must have been pure torture & hardship)have being lost down through the years.

In the event of a big weather related event ever striking this island & maybe the neighbours too,we've little or no alternatives to how we now live.

I can tell you it was a tough world, esp for rural women.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭straight

Water John wrote: »
    I can tell you it was a tough world, esp for rural women.

Just look at how many people had to leave in the 50's.

straight wrote: »
    Just look at how many people had to leave in the 50's.

My father left at the end of the 50's, headed for Canada, Montreal. Knew no one, had 1 small suitcase, $100 in his pocket, no job lined up, no digs. Headed then for New York, got married. Worked three years straight, no day off, no sick day. Came home in '62 on a passenger liner with a wife, a child, and money enough to buy a farm. He was some man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Oh, I think that’s very much wearing rose tinted glasses runwithme...

If you are so inclined, there is nothing that says you must be part of this high tech world - you could go off grid, no phone, no tv, no electricity, non of the modern distractions...
    You could sell the tractor and buy a horse... grow your own, buy nothing in the shop except sugar - there is nothing stopping you doing this except you yourself... you could still live in this modern world, but that doesn’t mean you need to partake in every part of it...

In terms of how better off we are now - look at how well looked after we are in terms of medical and social terms compared to generations ago... look at the opportunities we have... we don’t have to raise kids thinking once they finish school they have to emigrate to make a living... women, unmarried mothers, gay people - are all better off now...

I take your point of maybe losing some of our self sufficiency - but, as i said above, there is nothing stopping us selling a cow and buying a pig instead, putting in a bigger veg garden, etc...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

As with all arguments there's both for and against and I don't think a return to a mid twentieth century lifestyle would be enjoyed by many. Nothing ever looks the same in hindsight and the problems facing society in those times were equally as grave as anything we face today. As Dinzee stated there's nothing stopping anyone from picking and choosing which facets of modern life that they wish to subscribe to. Having said that I think a lack of specialized knowledge would prove problematic unless some research was undertaken along the way.

I definitely couldn't live in a similar manner to my ancestors without a serious change in both my lifestyle and mindset. However the environment they existed in has also largely ceased to exist and therefore I doubt if they could continue on as before if they were suddenly brought back to life. We're all a product of our experiences and environment for better or worse, my father often states that there'd be no progression only for death. The next generation does thing's there way when there time comes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Dad told of farming in the 30's and 40's, carrying 2cwt bags of oats up stone steps to store in a loft.
    Digging drains with a pick and shovel to lay clay pipes, tramping along behind horses, ploughing and harrowing.
    Recessions when your cattle's value fell to the half, and land value likewise.
    While everyone was in the same boat it wasn't a rural idyll by any means..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Dad told of farming in the 30's and 40's, carrying 2cwt bags of oats up stone steps to store in a loft.
    Digging drains with a pick and shovel to lay clay pipes, tramping along behind horses, ploughing and harrowing.
    Recessions when your cattle's value fell to the half, and land value likewise.
    While everyone was in the same boat it wasn't a rural idyll by any means..

Grandfather used to talk about the economic war, and how tough things were and how hard it was to make money...

On the 2hundred-weight bags, they must have been hardier men back in the day, I find the hundred-weight bags enough ;)

The grandfather told me he threw a 2cwt bag into a high cribbed butt at the creamery one day, after two lads said he wouldn’t be able to do it... Not sure many would be able to do it now...

• Advertisement

Looking for thoughts

I'm out wintering my weanlings on a roughly 1 acre field. Have to say they are performing well and very healthy looking. The field is getting a little poached but over half the field rises to a hill so always dry ground for them to lie on.

Just had a thought the other day. Would it be worth it to throw a couple of load of woodchip into the sheltered corner over the summer for next winter. Just to give them a good pad to lie on. Only talking about 8 or 10 weanlings.

Was thinking of an area of about 15ft by 20ft. Just an area big enough for them to lie on.

Would it be worth doing?

Advertisement