Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,272 ✭✭✭✭Base price

whelan2 wrote: »
    Feel sorry for the leaving cert students, so much uncertainty again
    There is a young girl who works in a local shop and she is due to sit her leaving cert next year. In November she reckoned that she wouldn't be actually sitting a test and that predictive grading would be used again. She didn't seem overtly upset or worried about it but I reckon she is the studious type.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

beautiful halo round the moon just now , better out looking at it than listening to doom and gloom on the box

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Water John

orm0nd wrote: »
    beautiful halo round the moon just now , better out looking at it than listening to doom and gloom on the box

That would be called a Blue Moon TMK, since it's the second full moon in the month of December.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Base price wrote: »
    There is a young girl who works in a local shop and she is due to sit her leaving cert next year. In November she reckoned that she wouldn't be actually sitting a test and that predictive grading would be used again. She didn't seem overtly upset or worried about it but I reckon she is the studious type.

Was up in local shop there now. Daughter is working. It's freezing, door has to be kept open under covid regulations. I brought her coat up to her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Was up in local shop there now. Daughter is working. It's freezing, door has to be kept open under covid regulations. I brought her coat up to her

I'm nearly decided on going for a walk around the fields due to the bright moon. Absolutely nothing on the telly and I'm restless for some reason. Maybe the moon is making me go bonkers ha.

• Advertisement

NcdJd wrote: »
    I'm nearly decided on going for a walk around the fields due to the bright moon. Absolutely nothing on the telly and I'm restless for some reason. Maybe the moon is making me go bonkers ha.
    Liverpool playing at 8. Maybe it's just me but tv was brutal over Christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Agreed, worse than usual. Right heading out for a walk. If I don't post here tomorrow someone ring the air ambulance and tell them there's some mad bastard stuck in a ditch somewhere south of Dublin Airport. :D

Was Die Hard even on? If not, it wasn't Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Was Die Hard even on? If not, it wasn't Christmas.

Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Have a cow bulling after 19 days calved
    If she was yours, would you AI her?

• Advertisement

No

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭White Clover

I wouldn't. That bulling will "clean" her out. In my opinion, you're nearly guaranteed conception the next time round in 3 weeks or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Reggie. wrote: »
    Agreed

Have ya not tuned onto "George goes Dairy farming" season 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Thought you said the TV would be good viewing this evening. ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

2020, the year that keeps giving. Mothers covid test came back positive and the father stuck his nose into a coffee jar and couldn’t smell it this morning. He went for a test this afternoon as he was feeling chills in him. Mother must have caught it in hospital as she was admitted just before Christmas with pneumonia and was in for three days, she had 2 tests in the hospital both returned negative. The problem is that there’s 4 families of us here on the farm all working, mingling among each other in our own rather large bubble. Friends father just passed too as a result of copd. Found a ewe on the hill in about 6 inches of snow with a lamb at foot as well. Fcuk 2020, I’m scunnered with it.

Thought you said the TV would be good viewing this evening. ; )

At least we didn't lose. Newcastle goalkeeper was very good. We didnt take our chances

2020, the year that keeps giving. Mothers covid test came back positive and the father stuck his nose into a coffee jar and couldn’t smell it this morning. He went for a test this afternoon as he was feeling chills in him. Mother must have caught it in hospital as she was admitted just before Christmas with pneumonia and was in for three days, she had 2 tests in the hospital both returned negative. The problem is that there’s 4 families of us here on the farm all working, mingling among each other in our own rather large bubble. Friends father just passed too as a result of copd. Found a ewe on the hill in about 6 inches of snow with a lamb at foot as well. Fcuk 2020, I’m scunnered with it.

Hopefully all will turn out OK AntrimGlens. All we see is numbers and graphs and its only when it hits your doorstep that the worry and panic sets in. Its only when you have elderly or sick people in your life that you have skin in the game. Ya look at the squabbling and bitching on the covid thread yet they probably haven't been touched by covid in any way shape or form. So to them it doesn't exist. Best of luck over the next few days.

At least we didn't lose. Newcastle goalkeeper was very good. We didnt take our chances

Ye keep firing blanks and we won't be long catching up : )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭148multi

Reggie. wrote: »
    Looking for thoughts

I'm out wintering my weanlings on a roughly 1 acre field. Have to say they are performing well and very healthy looking. The field is getting a little poached but over half the field rises to a hill so always dry ground for them to lie on.

Just had a thought the other day. Would it be worth it to throw a couple of load of woodchip into the sheltered corner over the summer for next winter. Just to give them a good pad to lie on. Only talking about 8 or 10 weanlings.

Was thinking of an area of about 15ft by 20ft. Just an area big enough for them to lie on.

Would it be worth doing?

Used to winter 45 suckler cows on woodchip, three silage trailer loads spread about a foot high, clean off top 4" in January with the power box.
    Buttchip is what you need, it's bigger than other woodchip and let's urine through.
    Where mine was had shelter from the north only.
    On mornings where you wouldn't put a dog out they'd be lying happy out with steam rising off them. I have never seen cows as happy and healthy.
    Teagasc had harvest calving sucklers on it in meath, would skin you on a summers day.
    Two strands of electric fence for the cows, a row of pallets around the section for the calves.
    They reckoned there was no weight difference between the calves off the chip or the ones out of the shed in the spring, but the outwintered ones had much longer hair.
    But the next harvest the outwintered ones were heavier.
    Would advise to keep the lying area to a minimum, to keep them closer and warmer.
    You'll have no problem with ventilation.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

148multi wrote: »
    Used to winter 45 suckler cows on woodchip, three silage trailer loads spread about a foot high, clean off top 4" in January with the power box.
    Buttchip is what you need, it's bigger than other woodchip and let's urine through.
    Where mine was had shelter from the north only.
    On mornings where you wouldn't put a dog out they'd be lying happy out with steam rising off them. I have never seen cows as happy and healthy.
    Teagasc had harvest calving sucklers on it in meath, would skin you on a summers day.
    Two strands of electric fence for the cows, a row of pallets around the section for the calves.
    They reckoned there was no weight difference between the calves off the chip or the ones out of the shed in the spring, but the outwintered ones had much longer hair.
    But the next harvest the outwintered ones were heavier.
    Would advise to keep the lying area to a minimum, to keep them closer and warmer.
    You'll have no problem with ventilation.

Cheers for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭50HX

No

1. Give her a chence

2. As stated already better conception rate next time

Ault lad always said best conception rates at 40-45 days after calving

• Registered Users Posts: 11,272 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We got a unexpected visit from our Vet in Nov with the unfortunate news that she (her practice) were quitting large animals. The news was a shock to us and as we were loosing our most valuable partner :mad:

Apparently she cannot source qualified Vets that are interested in large animals and as she and the other p/t Vet that works with her are getting older she made the decision to quit. She gave a recommendation for a larger practice with several Vets that operates in our area and on our agreement handed over our details. We had to sign a few forms for DAFM/DVO.
    On Tuesday morning I noticed a dry cull cow was off. She was standing in the corner of the shed, head down cocked to one side, drooling and not responsive. I got in beside her and she staggered/wobbled her way out of the shed, along the feed passage and into the other dry bedded shed. I reckoned it was either listeriosis due to the time of the year or meningitis. I phoned the new Vet practice, told them what I thought was wrong with her and in fairness a relatively mature Vet arrived within the hour.
    All I can say is that our first experience with this new practice wasn't the best. OH and I ain't Vets and neither of us have a Degree in anything other than hard work and long hours but we do have a lot of knowledge of livestock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Good loser

The thing is they've been on a co-op health and safety course instructing them how to lift those bags.
    Those boyos will be retiring on a full co-op pension and not a hip or knee replacement between them.

In Sept went to co op with small trailer for 10 bags of fert 50 kg.
    He brought them over with the fork lift, parked it over the trailer, got out of cab and stood by the door; I hopped into trailer and took off the bags.
    Twice as I worked he asked me had I someone 'at home' to take them out; I said no I would do it myself.
    I'm 75 he was about 40.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

On Tuesday morning I noticed a dry cull cow was off. She was standing in the corner of the shed, head down cocked to one side, drooling and not responsive. I got in beside her and she staggered/wobbled her way out of the shed, along the feed passage and into the other dry bedded shed. I reckoned it was either listeriosis due to the time of the year or meningitis. I phoned the new Vet practice, told them what I thought was wrong with her and in fairness a relatively mature Vet arrived within the hour.
    All I can say is that our first experience with this new practice wasn't the best.

Listeriosis can come on remarkably quickly and when it does the chances of success really don't exist. I've known a cow to go from appearing normal to beyond hope over the course of a morning and a few hours of the afternoon. Your lady sounds like she was a good distance along that track when you spotted her.
    Usually such cases are isolated, but in case there are more, extra herding and intervention before you're even sure an animal is affected may help. This is one of the times where it's not what antibiotic you give, but when you give it, that counts.
    The source is usually silage, especially baled silage. Don't use bales that have moulds growing on them. Anecdotally, it has been suggested to open bales 24 hours before feeding them might help.
    Sore, weeping eyes and abortions (more rare) are other forms of presentation.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

We got a unexpected visit from our Vet in Nov with the unfortunate news that she (her practice) were quitting large animals. The news was a shock to us and as we were loosing our most valuable partner :mad:

Apparently she cannot source qualified Vets that are interested in large animals and as she and the other p/t Vet that works with her are getting older she made the decision to quit. She gave a recommendation for a larger practice with several Vets that operates in our area and on our agreement handed over our details. We had to sign a few forms for DAFM/DVO.
    All I can say is that our first experience with this new practice wasn't the best. OH and I ain't Vets and neither of us have a Degree in anything other than hard work and long hours but we do have a lot of knowledge of livestock.

Is the cow ok? Some vets are really sound and first impressions last. If not happy ring and tell the practice. You are paying for the service

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Fortunately there are large practices down here which have a number of vets. However who we considered to be the best vet left for a change of scenery but a number of young vets have joined the practice. The other man is hard replaced in terms of knowledge but in fairness one of the young vets I've had out most since he left seems to be good and in fairness to her always seems to want to know outcomes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭Grueller

Best vet we ever had around here was a chap from outside Pallasgreen in Limerick. He is still in his twenties but on two occasions brought calves back from the dead. He was superb. His second name is the same as the most prominent mustachioed small TD from Limerick. Unfortunately he left our local practice and went back home to Limerick.
    Base, sorry to hear of your experience but as was said above, you are paying and there are surely other large animal practitioners around you.

Reading some of the posts about the man being shot by guards in Clonee, ffs he had robbed a shop, stabbed someone and couldn't be restrained. Didn't matter what colour he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Reading some of the posts about the man being shot by guards in Clonee, ffs he had robbed a shop, stabbed someone and couldn't be restrained. Didn't matter what colour he was.

I reckon if they didn’t shoot him, there would be an innocent family without a father or mother who went to work trying to protect us.

They made the right call.

The amount of people saying why couldn’t 15 guards take down only one man with a knife (machete) are watching too many action movies and think it’s an easy thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I reckon if they didn’t shoot him, there would be an innocent family without a father or mother who went to work trying to protect us.

They made the right call.

The amount of people saying why couldn’t 15 guards take down only one man with a knife (machete) are watching too many action movies and think it’s an easy thing.

Saw a video from a US marine martial arts guy, showing self defense against someone with a knife. He simply said run away, that's the best defense. Guards can't do that....

Advertisement