Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Please think of poor George Lee and the doom mongers in RTE who are praying for a fine spell of warm weather so they can unleash their vast library of reports and articles of climate annihilation upon us all......

I for one am grateful for our weather....we are blessed in this country....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭V6400

It's one thing for the position to change when data comes available but our future weather predictions due to climate change seem to just change depending on what weather extreme we are experiencing at the time.

In 2022 when we had a heatwave, that was climate change results, that was our future with extreme heat, restricted growth and water shortages.

In 2023 we had non stop rain and that was climate change results, a new contradictive forecast that our future was going to be far higher rainfall so no water shortages.

This year cold and grey, again apparently climate change results and what we can expect from the future.

In reality we have had years like all of the above before but climate change wasnt the big topic so it wasnt spoken about.

In my opinion we dont have the data needed to know or predict what changes have actually happened or will happen and a lot of people are just milking it for headlines, attention and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

Why have people stop talking about the ozone layer.... did it fill up or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

We're restricted, a cow we sold as a cull in March had a suspected lesion on her tonsil. She was killed 19th june, dept say 2 weeks and we'd have the pcr results. I rang navan this morning, 3 times on hold and then put through to a full mailbox. Next time i rang i said I didn't know my pps number. A lad answered and said I can see you've been ringing, there must be a problem as it's been very quiet this morning. He requested a callback for me. Got a callback soon enough. Sample only put on test yesterday, 2 weeks after slaughter , results take 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭StevenToast

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

I had similar in January with a factory bullock. Testing will be subject to the result and the TB outlook around you. If it's clear and there is no issue locally you'll be clear. If the cow goes down on the test you will have to do 2 tests. You might be able to get a test straight away as she had left in march.

Fingers crossed as it's a headwrecker waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭visatorro

Happened me last year. The pcr came back negative and restriction was lifted. Hopefully you'll be alright

I dont know much about tb but is a lesion on the tonsil rare?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,479 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I think they say stock can and do get them anywhere inside the body.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭emaherx

Yes, self repairing to a certain extent. Main cause of Ozone depletion has been has been banned by most of the world. Still a pretty large hole that moves around over Antarctica and sometimes Australia/ NZ, so you may hear more about it when it gets closer to civilization and less so when not. Not many suffering from skin cancer in Antarctica.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

it’s repairing because of the science and the removal of cfc gasses as advices by science 🤷🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I agree with alot of this - I think whatever changes to the climate coming down the tracks are now set in stone and will play out over the coming years which is why I think there needs to be a serious discussion on climate "buffering" measures in terms of landuse etc. cos its clear alot of intensive farming models, urban sprawl development etc. is looking very vulnerable based on recent events here and abroad. Some here will be uncomfortable with this but restoring degraded habitats that can buffer us from severe heatwaves, rainfall events etc. makes sense in this scenario. This does not mean some sort of blanket rewilding, but targeted measures in vulnereable areas such as our overgrazed uplands(including excessive wild deer numbers), eroding peatlands, key flood plains etc. There is a alot of state land that meets this criteria if only we had a government that would carry out the urgent reforms needed of the likes of BNM and Coillte. There is also the opportunity for farmers to participate in this, but obviously it needs to be on a voluntary basis with the necessary funding in place. The government claims there is a fund of 3.5 billion euros for such measure, but it will need to be set in stone and far better organized then the likes of Acres etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,387 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If bovine numbers stay as they are, then the methane level in the air is also stable. Reduced bovine numbers reduces methane level relatively quickly. Much quicker than other GHGs. That's why methane/bovines are being targeted. A temporary quick fix solution to the over use of fossil fuels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Suckler

Farmers (through farming representative bodies) better learn that if they aren't part of the solution, they'll be part of the problem. Poor leadership for short term gains have farming where it is today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭50HX

From reading the article it seems to be for I'd of trailers at weigh bridge.

Cue all trailers coming in as 007😁

It speeds the whole process up at intake. Weighbridge, sampling to tipping out. It allows workers at the weighbridge who necessarily wouldn't know the farmer or tractor jockey just to take note of the number and wave on.

This has been employed in intakes in Wexford must be more than 10 years ago now. It's just getting more official and professional, calling for number plates but they don't seem to be really enforcing that yet by the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I don't know how common but i was held up waiting for tests because of such a lesion, turned out to be, timber tongue or something like that. I forget exactly, few years ago.

Ye they've changed the system now, it's a pcr test. A few years ago we waited 60 days for a sample to culture in the lab. Supposed to be 2 weeks max now

• Registered Users Posts: 21,387 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Maybe there getting ready for blockchain? The first sale of a physical item sold via blockchain, was a load of grain in Australia in 2016. Payment transferred simultaneously as it was weighed and sampled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭visatorro

How is urban sprawl going to be addressed, every party is promising to build more new homes if they get elected. Same in the UK. Only thing stopping that is politicians deliver feck all.

Ha. No.

The beauty of grain trading for merchants is they sell the farmer's grain first. Receive payment. Wait four months with interest accruing and then pay the farmer minus interest and penalties and fert and spray cost, plus interest on those. You are tied in then to the particular merchant.

Know of two lads near me who tried to act the maggot with a grain merchant.

Lad a had two exact tractors and trailers. Weighed tractor and trailer, never emptied and returned a while later with same rig.

Second lad got seed, fet and spray from merchant a and sold grain to merchant b leaving merchant a without payment. Merchant a moved in the field the following year with his lorry for the grain off the combine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭older by the day

I actually cheated the scales a few weeks ago. By mistake

I took a shot of waste to recycling in box and jeep, I weighed in, and then one of the workers told me that I would have to wait half an hour till a lorry got filled. I threw off the box and went to the coop for 8 bags of calf nuts. Went back threw off the waste and reweighed. Coming back home I was wondering why the bill was so small. With my 200kgs of nuts in the back of the jeep. Ooooops

I'd say big Ian paisley is turning in his grave. The seat held by the Paisley name for over 50 years was lost in the elections

If you are talking about the recycling crowd … they were ignorant to an elderly farmer that was beside me in the que not long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭green daries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭148multi

Can hear his foot steps, once asked a difficult question on rte years ago, ran from the studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Out of the frying pan and into the fire with Jim Allister.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

My Grandmother was a quiet women, but every time Paisley appeared on the tv, she would loose it. My Grandfather would get her going with comments like "I think he's a grand fella".

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Advertisement