Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Mossie1975

Happy New Years Eve lads! Haven’t been on Boards for a while. Took a break after seeing some really nasty posts on After Hours. Don’t understand how cruel some posters can be. Rant over. Missed this place. Hope ye are all well. I’m off to break in my new hiking boots. Have a good day!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Mossie1975 wrote: »
    Happy New Years Eve lads! Haven’t been on Boards for a while. Took a break after seeing some really nasty posts on After Hours. Don’t understand how cruel some posters can be. Rant over. Missed this place. Hope ye are all well. I’m off to break in my new hiking boots. Have a good day!

It's easy to hide behind a screen and type horrible things. My motto is if you wouldn't say it to someone's face, you dont type it. Have that drummed into the kids too

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

whelan2 wrote: »
    Reading some of the posts about the man being shot by guards in Clonee, ffs he had robbed a shop, stabbed someone and couldn't be restrained. Didn't matter what colour he was.

We can’t just automatically give people of colour or minorities a free pass on behaving badly, I say this as a mixed race household ourselves.

There will be a review by GSOC, but it sounds to me like there was little other option left to the Gardai at the scene who first of all have to protect themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Mooooo wrote: »
    Saw a video from a US marine martial arts guy, showing self defense against someone with a knife. He simply said run away, that's the best defense. Guards can't do that....

The only real defence to a knife is a gun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Reggie. wrote: »

I suppose what gets people upset is the fact that a number of shots were fired. If he had a gun fair enough but he had a knife so could they have kept their distance and taken him down with a leg shot but at the very least a single shot to body?

• Advertisement

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    I suppose what gets people upset is the fact that a number of shots were fired. If he had a gun fair enough but he had a knife so could they have kept their distance and taken him down with a leg shot but at the very least a single shot to body?

A leg shot can hit an artery and they could bleed out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

It’s not the movies, a flesh wound to the leg and the assailant drops weapon and goes easily.

Only for the guards, that shop keeper could be dead. Who’s to say what would have happened.

He was shot outside his home. You'd wonder why a family member didn't try to reason with him.

He was shot outside his home. You'd wonder why a family member didn't try to reason with him.

He was supposed to have assaulted an elderly woman before the Christmas. Dunno if there is much reasoning with him. Tased and pepper sprayed and both didn’t work either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Pepper spray and tasers are known to not always work especially if drink or drugs are involved. They do have non lethal shotgun cartridges which maybe could be have used.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Mossie1975 wrote: »

Most of them posters probably wouldn't be able to string a coherent sentence together if you met them face to face. Wouldn't let them get you in bad form. Ignore the clowns, not worth the effort Mossie. Hope you had a nice Christmas.

Pepper spray and tasers are known to not always work especially if drink or drugs are involved. They do have non lethal shotgun cartridges which maybe could be have used.

But at what point do you then say, now it’s ok to use lethal force?

I know someone who is a guard, sorted an issue and sat into van, as he was about to pull away, he was ripped out of the van and beaten. He was 3 weeks off work with injuries after. Didn’t get sick pay as technically he would have to bring a case against the state for it. He did nothing wrong in the situation only treated the man carefully once he got on top of him.

If that man had a weapon, that guard could be dead.

The man got a €500 poor box donation thing and no record.

It’s all well and good when talking about non lethal force until an innocent person dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

He had been tassered etc prior to being shot following extended garda interaction - none which had apparently any effect on him.

Armed responders are trained to shoot at the body mass - as its easy to miss or stray rounds from shooting a limb etc. Even then no guarantee any one shot will stop an individual being a danger to others either. Too many people watch the TV and reckon a leg shot etc will render a perpetrator rolling around. It doesn't work like that in real life.

The guy had form - was carrying what looks like a machete - had already attacked others in a public place and refused to cooperate with the gardai or drop his weapon.

The gardai in this case did what they had to. There's been other cases where gardai have shot those who refused to drop their weapon in similar circumstances. Imo the only difference here is the usual race baiters online are now screaming blue murder and racism.

The fact remains though this guy was outside his house not in a crowded area when shot. He had a knife/machete so could only injure someone who came near to him. I still think in that situation multiple shots sounds bad in the media. Questions still need to be asked was excessive force used. Plenty of officers in America have been fired for use of excessive force, we dont need lads who played too much grant theft auto joining the armed response unit

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Grand theft auto????

There were a number of garda from the armed response unit - not just some random 'officers'.

They and the other garda were attempting to stop the individual following a serious assault, an extended chase, had already tassered him etc and he remained a threat to them and others with a dangerous weapon.

The gardai were simply doing their job imo. As part of any shooting in the course of a garda response - the incident will be automatically investigated by Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commissioner.

Its not the media which is the problem- rather the usual sources on 'social' media using the incident to stir things.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Is the cow ok? Some vets are really sound and first impressions last. If not happy ring and tell the practice. You are paying for the service
    She is showing a slight improvement but only through our own intervention.

I don't want to start a relationship with this new practice on a bad footing so we will let it go and hopefully our next experience will be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

Tried ringing national drivers licence office this morning. Have an appointment for Tuesday, wait time off 57 minutes to answer phone.😲 Does anyone know if they are open next week

Base price wrote: »
    She is showing a slight improvement but only through our own intervention.

I don't want to start a relationship with this new practice on a bad footing so we will let it go and hopefully our next experience will be better.

We had to move practise a few years ago as old one closed. It was tough at the beginning and there's one vet that just has a crap attitude. More or less as if to say to me, what do you know, I'm the vet here. They know in the office not to send him here unless it can't be helped

The fact remains though this guy was outside his house not in a crowded area when shot. He had a knife/machete so could only injure someone who came near to him. I still think in that situation multiple shots sounds bad in the media. Questions still need to be asked was excessive force used. Plenty of officers in America have been fired for use of excessive force, we dont need lads who played too much grant theft auto joining the armed response unit

Who is to presume his family was safe? He was after an attack, known to have history of assault and going into a house- do the guards say ah it’s grand, he’s just popping in home. Did they know it was his house?

No doubt in my mind, they are heroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

But at what point do you then say, now it’s ok to use lethal force?

I know someone who is a guard, sorted an issue and sat into van, as he was about to pull away, he was ripped out of the van and beaten. He was 3 weeks off work with injuries after. Didn’t get sick pay as technically he would have to bring a case against the state for it. He did nothing wrong in the situation only treated the man carefully once he got on top of him.

If that man had a weapon, that guard could be dead.

The man got a €500 poor box donation thing and no record.

It’s all well and good when talking about non lethal force until an innocent person dies.

Only an investigation will show if it was handled correctly or not To me it just seems very like another case some years ago which I’m sure we all remember the outcome of that investigation.
    About your friend unfortunately more and more Gardai are being assaulted and getting no help from the courts but more firearms is not the answer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Tried ringing national drivers licence office this morning. Have an appointment for Tuesday, wait time off 57 minutes to answer phone.�� Does anyone know if they are open next week
    According to their website during the last level 5 lockdown they did not cancel existing appointments for non essential workers.

https://www.ndls.ie/news/212-update-on-ndls-services-affected-by-move-to-level-5-covid19-restrictions.html

Who is to presume his family was safe? He was after an attack, known to have history of assault and going into a house- do the guards say ah it’s grand, he’s just popping in home. Did they know it was his house?

No doubt in my mind, they are heroes.

Yes I agree, I've since seen the video of the incident,and I think its obvious to me now they had no choice as a Garda was in immediate danger. From initial reports it sounded as though there was a stand off in garden and were trying to talk him down from a distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭straight

Reggie. wrote: »

Or a grenade

• Registered Users Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

straight wrote: »
    Or a grenade

Or a spear!

Not a nice affair whatever point of view one has.

Protests now at blanchardstown garda station, black lives matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

If you are pepper sprayed twice, and Tasered twice, without being subdued, in my opinion you must be flying on something....
    Then move towards a Garda with your carving knife....

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    If you are pepper sprayed twice, and Tasered twice, without being subdued, in my opinion you must be flying on something....
    Then move towards a Garda with your carving knife....

How did that info get in the public domain?

Was there a press release or something or Chinese whispers?

I would maybe thank your post if it were a verified statement or maybe I wouldn't. I'm contrary that way. :D
    I'd probably wait till official proceedings were finalized before offering judgement.

I'm reminded of Maggie Thatcher praising the soldiers for opening fire on "armed" protesters the night of bloody Sunday.

Nowadays we don't have Maggie but back and forth social media with everyone "knowing" the truth straight after an incident.

(I'm not having a go at ye Nek. But ye know where I'm coming from and getting at. Only those present know the full story and even then there's a gap between hand and mouth.)

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

How did that info get in the public domain?

Was there a press release or something or Chinese whispers?

I would maybe thank your post if it were a verified statement or maybe I wouldn't. I'm contrary that way. :D
    I'd probably wait till official proceedings were finalized before offering judgement.

I'm reminded of Maggie Thatcher praising the soldiers for opening fire on "armed" protesters the night of bloody Sunday.

Nowadays we don't have Maggie but back and forth social media with everyone "knowing" the truth straight after an incident.

(I'm not having a go at ye Nek. But ye know where I'm coming from and getting at. Only those present know the full story and even then there's a gap between hand and mouth.)

Regardless of any that happening or not, the chap went for a Garda with a machete in the video, what were the other gaurds going to do, ask him to stop?

The lad was mentally ill. There is no proper treatment here anymore. Here take a few pills and wait for them to work, instead of hospitalization. Forget what might happen in the meantime while waiting for them to kick in.

• Advertisement

Regardless of any that happening or not, the chap went for a Garda with a machete in the video, what were the other gaurds going to do, ask him to stop?

Same statement from me again as above.

How do you know it was a machete?

You couldn't possibly see from that clip. You just see him swinging something.

All ye get your information from social media and decide your point of view in those first ten seconds.
    It's not a reflection on anyone just the world today.

Official garda stance as of today.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1231/1187071-gsoc-shooting-investigation/

Advertisement