Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

whelan2 wrote: »
    It's the kids lives they are messing with here.

How are they messing with their lives. They tried to get them to school a few days a week but the teachers union refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

How are they messing with their lives. They tried to get them to school a few days a week but the teachers union refused.

If your mocks were supposed to be taking place in January, they probably wont be now. If your orals, practicals were to be taking place you don't know if they will now. The leaving cert which foretells what your future is might not take place. ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

If your mocks were supposed to be taking place in January, they probably wont be now. If your orals, practicals were to be taking place you don't know if they will now. The leaving cert which foretells what your future is might not take place. ....

Thank you...couldn’t reply any better myself.......

• Registered Users Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Long time since LC but my school never had mocks. I think they force students to peak twice. School had very high results.

Water John wrote: »
    Long time since LC but my school never had mocks. I think they force students to peak twice. School had very high results.

If you look at last years junior cert students they wont have sat a state exam. The mocks will get you used to the exam setting. Fair enough you faired ok but there's a lot of pressure on exam students now and they give them a chance to experience what it's like before the real thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    That’s the thing they are not managing they are just reacting. Israel is rolling out 24/7 vaccines. We are doing Mon/Fri 9 to 5. I’m really sick to the teeth of the continuous incompetence of our so called leaders.

Its called the public sector mac,same reason why leaving cert is uncertain at this stage.

Somethings never change,when the taxpayer is picking up the tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

If you look at last years junior cert students they wont have sat a state exam. The mocks will get you used to the exam setting. Fair enough you faired ok but there's a lot of pressure on exam students now and they give them a chance to experience what it's like before the real thing

This years leaving certa have all sat state exams before

It would be a great opportunity to reform the education system, but with a clueless head nodding to a departments tune I doubt there's any chance of it.

This years leaving certa have all sat state exams before

Yes but my point is the mocks help you prepare for the real thing. Last years 3rd years in our school never experienced oral irish or other language exams, practicals weren't completed etc. If you are planning towards a goal or deadline and the goalposts are moved indefinitely it has to be very stressful as your future plans depend on it. You were lucky everything went according to plan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

I have a lad in college that never sat a state exam had glandular fever for the junior cert and then this yr. Never had his mock leaving exams corrected either. It's just a way of labelling people.

• Advertisement

dzer2 wrote: »
    I have a lad in college that never sat a state exam had glandular fever for the junior cert and then this yr. Never had his mock leaving exams corrected either. It's just a way of labelling people.

Good for him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Covid is effecting everyone’s life in some way or another. No matter how the government deals with the LC there will be complaints. If the government consult with the unions on everything nothing will get done

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Report on deaths last year. 19 killed, 3 of them kids
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0104/1187625-farm-deaths/

Someone is telling lies......Normal foley has said she engaged with unions and the CMO, the unions said they were not consulted....who is lying here. Are the teachers taking a pay cut to reflect the next 6 weeks (not labelling all teachers but even from my own days for every good one there was a bad one)

Someone is telling lies......Normal foley has said she engaged with unions and the CMO, the unions said they were not consulted....who is lying here. Are the teachers taking a pay cut to reflect the next 6 weeks (not labelling all teachers but even from my own days for every good one there was a bad one)

Teaching online takes longer than teaching in a classroom, why do you expect them to take a pay cut?

Teaching online takes longer than teaching in a classroom, why do you expect them to take a pay cut?

Because a fair few of them are not doing online....sending out a list of homework and good luck.

Time for performance management to be brought in for teachers

Because a fair few of them are not doing online....sending out a list of homework and good luck.

Time for performance management to be brought in for teachers

Should all farmers take a paycut because there's some **** farmers?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

If you're a rubbish farmer you get a pay cut, it works that way in the real world.
    Few are rewarded for poor performance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

would be good to understand which ministers looked to re open as Michael signalled on Tuesday schools were closed until Feb... and then we get announcement that open... and now a U turn.

wrangler wrote: »
    If you're a rubbish farmer you get a pay cut, it works that way in the real world.
    Few are rewarded for poor performance

In the words of Richard Bruton "One should first understand the question one is asked, then answer that question".

• Advertisement

No.....not even a valid comparison, but to follow your logic ...Farmer a is a a top class dairy farmer, grass management 100% solids and fats 100%...output per cow etc etc. Whereas Farmer b is none of the above......who earns more...

I’ve no issue with good teachers worth their weight in gold....I’m doing what I’m doing because of a very good teacher it’s the duds I’ve the issue with.

Must be very demoralising for the good ones haven’t to look at the crap ones day in and out.

Anyway I’m out...I’m only wasting my time, energy etc continuing with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Would be about time they were financially affected by covid closures. Got full pay last spring when closed for three & a half school months,tried to have schools closed under level 5 in October,wanted to close 2 days early at Christmas,always had their sights set on a delayed reopening after Christmas.

If they get their ways,schools won't reopen before easter,maybe good union for paying members,but hold way way too much sway with weak government.

Politicians that won't stand up to them,as their backed by a sensationalist media. There no more special than anyone else in this.

Your point re farmers is invalid. Farmers are self employed & are as honest as the day is long when it comes to a work ethic.

ruwithme wrote: »
    Would be about time they were financially affected by covid closures. Got full pay last spring when closed for three & a half school months,tried to have schools closed under level 5 in October,wanted to close 2 days early at Christmas,always had their sights set on a delayed reopening after Christmas.

If they get their ways,schools won't reopen before easter,maybe good union for paying members,but hold way way too much sway with weak government.

Politicians that won't stand up to them,as their backed by a sensationalist media. There no more special than anyone else in this.

Your point re farmers is invalid. Farmers are self employed & are as honest as the day is long when it comes to a work ethic.

After your car comment in another post I won't bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭Grueller

The question here is really do you think it's safe for schools to open while cases of Covid are as high as they are at the moment?
    If you think not, well then the unions were correct to put the squeeze on a minister that frankly looks like she is in way over her head.
    If you think they were safe, why? Given that nphet and the cmo have explicitly stated that they completely disagreed with the decision to open schools even part time.
    I have some gripes with teachers, much the same as I have with a lot of other professions, but this is not one of the gripes that I would have with them.
    There is an alternative approach that can be taken in the form of predictive grades. This was not the sh1t show that was portrayed last year. The only sector that were really upset were the grind schools that charge thousands a year to exploit loopholes unavailable to ordinary folk, and the home schoolers. My sympathy for both sectors is reasonably limited. I am however landing at this conclusion based on me believing that the health risk was real.
    Just to say I do have skin in this game as a large proportion of my consultations arise indirectly through referrals from guidance counsellors in secondary schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Just realized I messed up registrated a birth
    I made them a week older
    Do I just contact DVO?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I made them a week older
    Do I just contact DVO?
    If you are not going to sell them as calves (14 day +) then I don't see the problem. A week isn't anything in the overall scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

I wouldn’t be one for teacher bashing, at the end of the day the option is there for anyone to go back to college and complete the required course and become a teacher if that’s what you want. I do think however that they are the one sector of people through this pandemic who are determined to do as little as they possibly can and disagree with any and all suggestions without even trying to find a workable solution.

I would assume that the average iq of the teaching profession is higher than the average in the general population (I would certainly hope so anyway!) but it’s certainly not portrayed as that these past few days. There were definitely workable solutions to be found but the longer holidays seemed to appeal a lot more to them.

It’s perfectly understandable that they didn’t want to be in small rooms with 30 students at a time and I would agree with them on that. But why not divide the class into 2 groups of 15 or 3 groups of 10 and let the teacher just repeat the class twice or 3 times in the day and everyone can be spaced out? It was only going to be the one year on the school so there would be plenty of extra time and classrooms to do that and it would seem to be a fairly simple solution.

I know they will give the argument of having to deliver online material to their other class years but let’s be honest, leaving aside the fact that a lot of them achieve that by sending out an email once a day and that’s job done, there should still be enough time in the day for even the good teachers who do deliver a complete online programme. I think secondary teachers are only timetabled in for something like 18 to 20 hours a week (I’m open to correction on that). Surely they could go the extra mile like every other profession working through this and push that out an extra few hours a week without complaining?

And as for their complaints about childcare issues, I think that’s the factor that has turned the majority of public opinion against them at the minute. How is every other sector, from healthcare to retail staff to the binmen (and women!) managing childcare without any complaints? It’s not simple but it’s being done by both parents working different hours or different days than they normally would and using up holiday pay or taking unpaid leave. So as far as I’d be concerned that’s a null and void argument and portrays teachers as being very over privileged.

If the online teaching is to continue there should be a strict protocol in place for what is required of the teachers. They should be there available online through zoom etc delivering their classes for all of their timetabled hours. There are definitely some teachers who will go above and beyond for their students but unfortunately you have others who will do the complete opposite also.

I don't know about other schools but my partner is teaching classes through Microsoft Teams (similar to Zoom), as in being present in an online class for the duration of her classes. The classes will now take one hour as opposed to 40 minutes in an actual classroom. The last time this online teaching happened, she would often spend an hour or two in the evenings with how ever many students who felt they needed extra help for one reason or another.

I made them a week older
    Do I just contact DVO?

Form er94b if you want to change details. Send in card and completed form

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

I posted this yesterday on the corona thread but very relevant to previous posts here:
    Ill be the first to say my sons teacher was a disgrace. An a4 page of work sent to us once a day at 9am and no further interaction or correction of that work. My son was trying to do that and i was just after starting a new job remotely. He got so wound up one time he actually had a bit of a meltdown as it was 5pm and he was still working flat out with all the stuff she had sent him. In the end i used to pick and choose what he did and delete the rest. We still have reams of paper in the house here that was never looked at or corrected by anyone.

I know a few people who are teachers and when i asked them they said that the level of work done was usually driven by the principal. As another lockdown has seemed inevitable for months the Department of Education have really failed our children. I guess they are getting a taste of adulthood fairly young. If we had of adopted an all island approach like Australia or NZ we could be living our life as normal now.

Advertisement