Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

I don't know about other schools but my partner is teaching classes through Microsoft Teams (similar to Zoom), as in being present in an online class for the duration of her classes. The classes will now take one hour as opposed to 40 minutes in an actual classroom. The last time this online teaching happened, she would often spend an hour or two in the evenings with how ever many students who felt they needed extra help for one reason or another.
    Fair play to her and that’s exactly the type of effort that’s needed from teachers at the minute but I’d be fairly confident they are in the minority.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve family, friends and neighbours teaching and some of them are definitely doing more than is asked of them and are happy to do it. But the majority are not and that makes it even more unfair on their students. When it comes to exam time you have one school with well prepared students due to a great teacher going to sit the exact same exam as some students who went weeks in the year when their only learning of a subject was an email once a day or even once a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,450 ✭✭✭✭Water John

There is the other side, where I think about 25% of children who have not engaged in home learning.
    Yes, it's all driven by the Principal, but the Board must fullfill their role too and ensure it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭Grueller

Water John wrote: »
    There is the other side, where I think about 25% of children who have not engaged in home learning.
    Yes, it's all driven by the Principal, but the Board must fullfill their role too and ensure it.

That's a good point. Our daughters principal sent an email yesterday and in it stated that over 30% of students failed to engage at all in any online work in the last lockdown.
    Our daughter had a minimum of 50% of every subject barring religion, PE and Digital media of online video lessons the last time and the rest of the classes were filled with work to be completed and submitted through Microsoft Teams. All work was corrected and returned. The school actually performed very well despite the high non engagement figure. I don't blame schools for that, that imo is a parenting problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

If parents are working from home and have other kids to look after, it can be a struggle to get homeschooling done properly. We went into the kids school today and collected their boxes of books ready for Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Grueller wrote: »
    That's a good point. Our daughters principal sent an email yesterday and in it stated that over 30% of students failed to engage at all in any online work in the last lockdown.
    Our daughter had a minimum of 50% of every subject barring religion, PE and Digital media of online video lessons the last time and the rest of the classes were filled with work to be completed and submitted through Microsoft Teams. All work was corrected and returned. The school actually performed very well despite the high non engagement figure. I don't blame schools for that, that imo is a parenting problem.

The problem is it seems to be a school by school basis with no organised plan or process. The department of education should have realised the obvious requirement for a plan/process for if/when we went back into lockdown. They have done nothing to facilitate this and its a massive failing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

whelan2 wrote: »
    Form er94b if you want to change details. Send in card and completed form

Thanks
    The DVO is sending a form out

Base price wrote: »
    If you are not going to sell them as calves (14 day +) then I don't see the problem. A week isn't anything in the overall scheme of things.

Sadly does .. well to me
    I was rushing & registered on my phone

He’s a PB Charolais bull born @ 282 days
    ICBF showing 275 days would discredit

I’m trying to breed for short gestation handy born to grow into a good size

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭roosterman71

@reggie - clear some private messages if ya don't mind

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

He's popular 😂

Part of the issue with kids not doing online is parents but it can't be overlooked that some kids don't have equipment available to them or good Internet toallow them.

I'm wfm. My 2 are lucky in that I have 2 spare tablets. My laptop is in use 8 hours a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Sadly does .. well to me
    I was rushing & registered on my phone

He’s a PB Charolais bull born @ 282 days
    ICBF showing 275 days would discredit

I’m trying to breed for short gestation handy born to grow into a good size

Is there any checking on those birth dates , sounds a bit iffy, a farmer could write in 270 days either if not

• Advertisement

Thanks
    The DVO is sending a form out

You can download it off agfood

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

I don't know about other schools but my partner is teaching classes through Microsoft Teams (similar to Zoom), as in being present in an online class for the duration of her classes. The classes will now take one hour as opposed to 40 minutes in an actual classroom. The last time this online teaching happened, she would often spend an hour or two in the evenings with how ever many students who felt they needed extra help for one reason or another.

same in this house as other half is also teaching. what drove her crazy is level of inconsistency within her own school where some bust a gut while other talked the talk but did not bother a lot with majority of pupils .. or at most made a half hearted effort with leaving cert, ignoring others. First lock down was entertaining here as Mrs Bellview is a home ec teacher and performed a number of videos on cooking skills etc in kitchen .. with our small lad as helper (4) upside for me was being a taster after session... but feedback from kids was positive. There are all sorts in classroom

whelan2 wrote: »
    You can download it off agfood

Didn’t realize
    Hopefully never happen again

Bit the bullet and rang eir the other day. Was expecting to be on hold for ages. Call answered quickly. Had about 5 problems to be dealt with. Was wondering why my bill was gone so high recently. Have 5 phones with them. Turns out young lad had signed up for a service costing 30 euro a month. She gave me a code to ca cell that. Also got a refund of 250 euro from another service I had with eir. Call took 45 minutes in total and was pleasantly surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Cleared.....jaysus I was popular

• Registered Users Posts: 21,450 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Reggie. wrote: »
    Cleared.....jaysus I was popular

You're using the past tense there, Reggie.

Water John wrote: »
    You're using the past tense there, Reggie.

I stand by my statement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I stand by my statement
    Just wondering - in a normal year would they hold some sort of official retirement ceremony/party or it is good luck and thanks for your service to the Nation.

Just wondering - in a normal year would they hold some sort of official retirement ceremony/party or it is good luck and thanks for your service to the Nation.

Usually you might be asked back at a christmas coffee morning or function for a presentation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Usually you might be asked back at a christmas coffee morning or function for a presentation

Ya finished?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Do ye get a 24 carat gold watch with your name on it :rolleyes:

Do ye get a 24 carat gold watch with your name on it :rolleyes:

With the middle made of chocolate

Ya finished?

End of April

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

End of April

Looking forward to the party, Reginald :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭straight

End of April

Did you do the full 25 years or whatever it is?

straight wrote: »
    Did you do the full 25 years or whatever it is?

21yrs. Joined when I was 17. Straight out of secondary school

Looking forward to the party, Reginald :D

Your not invited as you were insulting me yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Mossie1975

Morning all. It’s thermal time for sure these days. Water in the house gone and it makes me wonder how did my mother cope all those years ago with her gaggle of kids. There were no thermals in those days! Im off to do the shopping for the folks. Covid is rife around here and most cases are linked to one family party over Christmas. Take care lads and have a good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

DBK1 wrote: »
    I wouldn’t be one for teacher bashing, at the end of the day the option is there for anyone to go back to college and complete the required course and become a teacher if that’s what you want. I do think however that they are the one sector of people through this pandemic who are determined to do as little as they possibly can and disagree with any and all suggestions without even trying to find a workable solution.

I would assume that the average iq of the teaching profession is higher than the average in the general population (I would certainly hope so anyway!) but it’s certainly not portrayed as that these past few days. There were definitely workable solutions to be found but the longer holidays seemed to appeal a lot more to them.

It’s perfectly understandable that they didn’t want to be in small rooms with 30 students at a time and I would agree with them on that. But why not divide the class into 2 groups of 15 or 3 groups of 10 and let the teacher just repeat the class twice or 3 times in the day and everyone can be spaced out? It was only going to be the one year on the school so there would be plenty of extra time and classrooms to do that and it would seem to be a fairly simple solution.

I know they will give the argument of having to deliver online material to their other class years but let’s be honest, leaving aside the fact that a lot of them achieve that by sending out an email once a day and that’s job done, there should still be enough time in the day for even the good teachers who do deliver a complete online programme. I think secondary teachers are only timetabled in for something like 18 to 20 hours a week (I’m open to correction on that). Surely they could go the extra mile like every other profession working through this and push that out an extra few hours a week without complaining?

And as for their complaints about childcare issues, I think that’s the factor that has turned the majority of public opinion against them at the minute. How is every other sector, from healthcare to retail staff to the binmen (and women!) managing childcare without any complaints? It’s not simple but it’s being done by both parents working different hours or different days than they normally would and using up holiday pay or taking unpaid leave. So as far as I’d be concerned that’s a null and void argument and portrays teachers as being very over privileged.

If the online teaching is to continue there should be a strict protocol in place for what is required of the teachers. They should be there available online through zoom etc delivering their classes for all of their timetabled hours. There are definitely some teachers who will go above and beyond for their students but unfortunately you have others who will do the complete opposite also.

The whole remote learning is tough. Last lock down, I would say we had 30% engagement.

I was looking forward to having LCs in because I knew when they were in front of me, I could drag a LC out of them.

There are plenty of online certificate programmes at the moment and I had suggested the tys and fifth years do a few of them and a few teachers check in on progress. This would be short term but fill their cvs. This would free teaching hours to focus on exam classes and also the first years, that I believe need an extra bit of minding also.

It is near impossible to get to school to remote teach from there due to paperwork just to get into the building. I’ll have to work from the shed with the freezer as my desk and hope the mobile network doesn’t get over loaded.

I will be teaching live from next week but with back up plans for bad internet.

But I do believe that a better plan should have been in place nationally. Maybe longer holidays now and shorter summer holidays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

He's popular 😂

Part of the issue with kids not doing online is parents but it can't be overlooked that some kids don't have equipment available to them or good Internet toallow them.

I'm wfm. My 2 are lucky in that I have 2 spare tablets. My laptop is in use 8 hours a day.

We bought a spare tablet yesterday as we were told it would be needed for senior infants work this time around. The money that was spent on xboxes and playstations of the world should have been invested in home platoons/tablets.

Norway give every students parents big tax breaks to ensure everyone has a laptop/computer/tablet for learnings.

Advertisement