Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Mossie1975

Partner is a primary teacher and is out on the farm as I speak making video clips of the cattle, collecting the eggs, the bird table etc. Last night she was (trying to) bake bread (hope she doesn’t see this!) Yours truly is being interviewed at some stage on “Ask a Farmer”. Think Mossie could be the new Donie!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Got asked a question and thought here would be the best place to ask
    Friend lives on back roads which are not gritted
    Council have dumped piles a few Km away from him
    His neighbours are asking him to spread the grit on a stretch of road that would assist 6 homes
    Would he be liable if someone has an accident or where could he find out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Reggie. wrote: »
    21yrs. Joined when I was 17. Straight out of secondary school

Fair play Reggie. Same age as mesel and I have another 25 odd years self employment ahead of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Mossie1975 wrote: »
    Partner is a primary teacher and is out on the farm as I speak making video clips of the cattle, collecting the eggs, the bird table etc. Last night she was (trying to) bake bread (hope she doesn’t see this!) Yours truly is being interviewed at some stage on “Ask a Farmer”. Think Mossie could be the new Donie!

That’s brilliant. One of my colleagues is an ag teacher and he regularly records calvings etc. He has a great set up and uses real stats for projects etc. Students then see the animals he is talking about. Even shows the mart video. Very interactive and exactly how technology should be used to support learning.

The pity is with all the money poured in everywhere that the dept of Ed don’t make file shares available. The videos your OH are making would be great for a city school. There is a site called scoilnet but it’s poor.
    Twinkl is a great site for resources for primary kids. We use it at home for extension work for our 6yo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Pump hose frozen solid this morning.

Heat lamp came on with the stat but couldn’t fight off the hard frost.

Fan heater running there now but will take few hours to thaw.

Last happened back in 2010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

We bought a spare tablet yesterday as we were told it would be needed for senior infants work this time around. The money that was spent on xboxes and playstations of the world should have been invested in home platoons/tablets.

Norway give every students parents big tax breaks to ensure everyone has a laptop/computer/tablet for learnings.

I think I saw on facebook that Microsoft teams can be accessed on playstation or xbox

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

whelan2 wrote: »
    I think I saw on facebook that Microsoft teams can be accessed on playstation or xbox

https://www.psu.com/news/how-to-access-microsoft-teams-on-ps4-and-ps5/

I saw that alright. I wonder how interactive though. But still something

I saw that alright. I wonder how interactive though. But still something

I think I'd prefer if they were supposed to be learning they weren't on the playstation. Might be too much temptation. Daughter is in 5th year and she'd be ok. But young lad is in first year and a game of fifa would be alot more appealing than school work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Tileman

_Brian wrote: »
    Pump hose frozen solid this morning.

Heat lamp came on with the stat but couldn’t fight off the hard frost.

Fan heater running there now but will take few hours to thaw.

Last happened back in 2010

Same here but the shed kick was frozen solid so couldn’t get into the pump house until an hour ago. Had no water to thrown on the lock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭148multi

Got asked a question and thought here would be the best place to ask
    Friend lives on back roads which are not gritted
    Council have dumped piles a few Km away from him
    His neighbours are asking him to spread the grit on a stretch of road that would assist 6 homes
    Would he be liable if someone has an accident or where could he find out

Would he be liable if he did nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

148multi wrote: »

No.

Yea unfortunately he would be liable if he gritted the road.

Wexford co.co gave some sort of dispensation to farmers when the last big snow was here that if an accident occurred after they cleared the roads that they wouldn't be liable.

Best bet is just ask the council for their verdict.

When we were younger, there was a ban on consoles in our house. We used think we were so backward for it when playstations came out, we were given a second hand sega. The second the mother found out, it was fired out the window. Wasn’t pleased at the time but grateful now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

No.

Yea unfortunately he would be liable if he gritted the road.

Wexford co.co gave some sort of dispensation to farmers when the last big snow was here that if an accident occurred after they cleared the roads that they wouldn't be liable.

Best bet is just ask the council for their verdict.

FBD gave a dispensation for anyone towing a trailer with an ordinary license to give them a chance to do the trailer test, but never wrote it down on paper, I often wondered what would happen in an accident, or what would guards accept it either. similar would apply to co council ..... was it ever tested.
    I'd clear roads for neighbours but I wouldn't grit the roads for that reason

Withdrawal of betamox has changed from 48 hours for milk to 108 hours and for meat from 21 to 39 days....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

I was in mullingar looking at a house this morning, -6 when we got into the car at 9am and still lads flying on roads that obviously werent gritted. All troughs frozen here

Cut down some thick stemmed gorse today, is it ok to burn in a stove or no? I've burnt it in an open fire before but not a stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Fields frozen solid around here. Ive a heat lamp on in the well house 24/7 the last few months.

Got an email from my eldest primary teacher saying all schoolwork would be on see saw.
    Not impressed that there's no online classes again this year. I'm currently in the process of answering the email.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭emaherx

Oh, its cold.
    Had to break Ice on all of the drinkers inside the cattle sheds today, got hard to start the tractor too.

An evening for sitting by the fire now.

Cut down some thick stemmed gorse today, is it ok to burn in a stove or no? I've burnt it in an open fire before but not a stove.

Burn away

• Advertisement

Wonder will that fire in ringaskiddy have an impact on meal prices 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

What year did brass tags stop being used lads, seen an auld codger today with them and shes not a reactor. Must be anicent now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭emaherx

What year did brass tags stop being used lads, seen an auld codger today with them and shes not a reactor. Must be anicent now.

Must be 20 years or more?
    I've a 15 year old cow here, but there were different yellow tags around for a few years before the ones she has.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

They were still used relatively recently by vets testing to identify an animal missing both sets of yellow tags

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

1995 was the last of the brass tags here.

148multi wrote: »

No
    His lane is off the road like the others

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Fields frozen solid around here. Ive a heat lamp on in the well house 24/7 the last few months.

Got an email from my eldest primary teacher saying all schoolwork would be on see saw.
    Not impressed that there's no online classes again this year. I'm currently in the process of answering the email.

It’s very age dependant I imagine - but this exact chat was had via WhatsApp for the class our eldest is in...
    some said like you, online classes would be better. But the majority said it didn’t suit - bad broadband, but mostly that parents with other kids couldn’t spend the day babysitting one child on a zoom call, whilst trying to keep all the others quiet and to do everything else... or maybe try to keep a few zoom calls going...
    The preference was to send home details on what pages of books, or printouts to work on... The kids would work on these, parents would ensure they got done and submitted...

tanko wrote: »
    1995 was the last of the brass tags here.

Are we any better off today?

Tagged a cow 2 months ago with a replacement tag, see the back of the new tag on the slats this morning

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    I was in mullingar looking at a house this morning, -6 when we got into the car at 9am and still lads flying on roads that obviously werent gritted. All troughs frozen here

Same here
    Even 1 ballcock was froze in closed position

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Are we any better off today?

Tagged a cow 2 months ago with a replacement tag, see the back of the new tag on the slats this morning

I know replacing the tags we have now is a pain but the brass tags were a disaster, plenty of them used to fall out and they were very hard to read the numbers off especially when dirty.

Advertisement