Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

It’s very age dependant I imagine - but this exact chat was had via WhatsApp for the class our eldest is in...
    some said like you, online classes would be better. But the majority said it didn’t suit - bad broadband, but mostly that parents with other kids couldn’t spend the day babysitting one child on a zoom call, whilst trying to keep all the others quiet and to do everything else... or maybe try to keep a few zoom calls going...
    The preference was to send home details on what pages of books, or printouts to work on... The kids would work on these, parents would ensure they got done and submitted...

In the last lockdown youngest lad was in 6th class. A sheet or 2 emailed out on a Sunday night. Do workbooks etc. Email a project back during the week and a zoom class thing once a week. If parents are working from home and are expected to homeschool too it can be very stressful.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Eldest got an series of emails from teachers saying they will be running to their usual timetable doing online classes or online to answer questions during class time.

Will see how it goes.

_Brian wrote: »
    Eldest got an series of emails from teachers saying they will be running to their usual timetable doing online classes or online to answer questions during class time.

Will see how it goes.

Same here for our 2. Starting Tuesday

whelan2 wrote: »
    Same here for our 2. Starting Tuesday

It won’t be perfect but if it’s short term they will manage.

My feeling is the cases will be high at the end of the month amd the Unions won’t want teachers going back into schools. That will be hard faught.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

What year did brass tags stop being used lads, seen an auld codger today with them and shes not a reactor. Must be anicent now.

I doubt if she was was originally brass tagged as she'd have to be 26 year's old or more although it's possible. I haven't seen a cow from the brass tag era in a good few years although there's bound to be a few knocking about. As mentioned already a vet could use brass tags to temporarily tag an animal missing both tags when testing although I haven't seen this done in a while.

The earliest plastic tags had a check letter as opposed to a digit as with today's tags. It's been a good while since I've seen those tags either as they only lasted for a few years before switching to a check digit format. Funnily enough I noticed a springer in the mart last night when reading the cards that was born in April 1999. She was a butt of an AA and seemed to be standing the test of time very well, she had the check digit type tag that was standard up until the last couple of year's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

The first plastic tags had four letters on them, as an identifier.
    Mine was YFTF, which I was assured did NOT stand for "ya fooking thick fooker".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭emaherx

Nekarsulm wrote: »

I liked those tags, made identifying stray animals very easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

My feeling is the cases will be high at the end of the month amd the Unions won’t want teachers going back into schools. That will be hard faught.

I think Norma Foley in august said that 2000 was the magic number to consider closures.

With proper management, I reckon we should be back. Our principal did a survey of LC parents and 85% said they wouldn’t send their children back until numbers settled a bit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

emaherx wrote: »

Yes. If they'd stayed like that you'd get to recognise a few peoples stock.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

I think Norma Foley in august said that 2000 was the magic number to consider closures.

With proper management, I reckon we should be back. Our principal did a survey of LC parents and 85% said they wouldn’t send their children back until numbers settled a bit.

I think we saw this week that poor Norma speaks without thinking or consulting. It will be the teachers unions that decide the suitable numbers which are safe for teachers to return at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭The Rabbi

emaherx wrote: »

We put a line with the permanent tag marker across so they could be spotted easly.Fourteen different herds bounding here at one stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I can't see the kids back before Easter.

When is easter this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Numbers will drop down quick I reckon

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Sunday, 4th April.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »
    Sunday, 4th April.

Be hoping they'd be be back well before that

• Registered Users Posts: 21,450 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Shur I see from Factcheck on The Journal that Dolores Cahill, anti vax (among many other things) says there are Covid infections only between December and April.
    So we'll be fine after Easter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Water John wrote: »
    Shur I see from Factcheck on The Journal that Dolores Cahill, anti vax (among many other things) says there are Covid infections only between December and April.
    So we'll be fine after Easter.

Didn’t they say it will be gone in the summer last year?
    I had said to myself we would be lucky to be back for St Patrick’s day. April is a long way away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Nekarsulm wrote: »

Ya ours was YLBB, Can just about remember picking out my first heifer and she was one of them, 0049P. Could trace back all the homebred cows that are here now that far still.

Ya ours was YLBB, Can just about remember picking out my first heifer and she was one of them, 0049P. Could trace back all the homebred cows that are here now that far still.

I wonder who got OIKK?

Adam Grant

• Advertisement

I think we saw this week that poor Norma speaks without thinking or consulting. It will be the teachers unions that decide the suitable numbers which are safe for teachers to return at.

*Throws grenade* Imagine if farmers had a union like that *walks away....*

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Panjandrums

With most of construction shut, one would assume that farm labour would be no issue this spring, although with people able to receive €350 a week for nothing, I would have my doubts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭einn32

With most of construction shut, one would assume that farm labour would be no issue this spring, although with people able to receive €350 a week for nothing, I would have my doubts.

They had pilots on the harvest in Western Australia recently. I don't think dairy was as lucky or fruit picking for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

There shouldn't be an issue but they'll be looking to be paid in cash

wrangler wrote: »
    There shouldn't be an issue but they'll be looking to be paid in cash

It's. Saturday night!

Wrangler, bed time!

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »
    It's. Saturday night!

Wrangler, bed time!

If I was angling for a bite I'd have put it much better :D

I’d say 500 cases a day is the goal for the unions, we should be at that by end of the mid term so late Feb at a guess.

That’s of course as long as the new variant doesn’t run amok, but as the big T says it’s the same measures that control all variants amd we all know how to do it.

You must be talking Beef Plan.

Anything else just represents the processors. 😂😂

😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Havent heard of much sites shutting tbh, one friend of mine got stood down but is going to a different firm for the next few weeks now. Dont reckon it was his choice to go as hes busy at home too this time of year.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

einn32 wrote: »
    They had pilots on the harvest in Western Australia recently. I don't think dairy was as lucky or fruit picking for that matter.

Did you see the relocation grants to go work on farms available there now? Up to AUD$6000 for citizens and residents and up to AUD$2000 for eligible visa holders.
    Doesnt state fruitpicking or dairy either as compulsory its on the list the same as a broadacre cropping farm. Nice little bonus for the lads heading seeding in the coming months.

Better living everyone

Advertisement