Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

greysides wrote: »
    It's. Saturday night!

Wrangler, bed time!

Tough....... I wasn't replying to herdquitter

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

wrangler wrote: »
    Tough....... I wasn't replying to herdquitter

That quote was only to show you were present.

Just a joke. Looks like I'll have to keep practicing. :)

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭einn32

Did you see the relocation grants to go work on farms available there now? Up to AUD$6000 for citizens and residents and up to AUD$2000 for eligible visa holders.
    Doesnt state fruitpicking or dairy either as compulsory its on the list the same as a broadacre cropping farm. Nice little bonus for the lads heading seeding in the coming months.

No i didn't actually. Nice alright! I found working the few months in rural WA grand but living there would be hard. Beef price is breaking records over here. Farms seem to be in demand. Rural property is outselling urban for the first time in years. Dairy Australia completed a review of the dairy industry recently. Think they are worried about long term supply. All stakeholders are going to work together to sustain the industry was the outcome! It's had a rough few years over here. An 800 cow farm i worked on was sold recently. Somepne snapped it up. One of the reasons they sold was the long term manager left and they couldn't replace him. Irrigation is crazy expensive too plus the owners were pushing on in age.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

greysides wrote: »
    That quote was only to show you were present.

Just a joke. Looks like I'll have to keep practicing. :)

Shame on you grey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

einn32 wrote: »
    No i didn't actually. Nice alright! I found working the few months in rural WA grand but living there would be hard. Beef price is breaking records over here. Farms seem to be in demand. Rural property is outselling urban for the first time in years. Dairy Australia completed a review of the dairy industry recently. Think they are worried about long term supply. All stakeholders are going to work together to sustain the industry was the outcome! It's had a rough few years over here. An 800 cow farm i worked on was sold recently. Somepne snapped it up. One of the reasons they sold was the long term manager left and they couldn't replace him. Irrigation is crazy expensive too plus the owners were pushing on in age.

I was in Esperance and Lake king myself it was grand for a break from the ratrace in Sydney. Esperance had almost everything youd have in a City and top class but the locals were a funny breed as well as the tiger snakes. In Tasmania the water is fairly cheap and theres grants to improve irrjgation infrastructure at the minute i think. The Mount Gambier region is also another place that dairy is getting bjgger too, for the driest state on the driest continent i never saw as much water in all of oz as there.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Soup for breakfast. Reminds me I used to work with a Chinese lad. He said they have their dinner in the morning. Not sure if he was taking the piss outta me but he used to be nibbling away at something all day. Not a pick on the fcker.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Reggie. wrote: »
    Shame on you grey

Careful now:Dhttps://tenor.com/vT1Z.gif

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

NcdJd wrote: »
    Soup for breakfast. Reminds me I used to work with a Chinese lad. He said they have their dinner in the morning. Not sure if he was taking the piss outta me but he used to be nibbling away at something all day. Not a pick on the fcker.

He was probably in need of a white drench !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

whelan2 wrote: »
    Withdrawal of betamox has changed from 48 hours for milk to 108 hours and for meat from 21 to 39 days....

Same product had a withold of 24hrs .all drugs in ireland seem to be 4 to 5 days withold now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

This Farming Life (repeat) BBC 2 - 5:15 pm today, after Flog It

• Advertisement

I was in Esperance and Lake king myself it was grand for a break from the ratrace in Sydney. Esperance had almost everything youd have in a City and top class but the locals were a funny breed as well as the tiger snakes. In Tasmania the water is fairly cheap and theres grants to improve irrjgation infrastructure at the minute i think. The Mount Gambier region is also another place that dairy is getting bjgger too, for the driest state on the driest continent i never saw as much water in all of oz as there.

I milked cows in Busselton WA. Lovely spot on the coast two hours south of Perth and near Margaret River. A couple leasing a 600 cow former research farm. Dairy is struggling in WA big time. I see Coles supermarket have contracted 10 milk suppliers directly this year in WA. I worked on a cropping farm in Bremer Bay, WA that year too. Some experience! Snakes, dust and beer sums it up! It was a bit like the wild west in WA I always thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I milked cows in Busselton WA. Lovely spot on the coast two hours south of Perth and near Margaret River. A couple leasing a 600 cow former research farm. Dairy is struggling in WA big time. I see Coles supermarket have contracted 10 milk suppliers directly this year in WA. I worked on a cropping farm in Bremer Bay, WA that year too. Some experience! Snakes, dust and beer sums it up! It was a bit like the wild west in WA I always thought!

Beautiful area. My oh originally came from Collie, WA. When we were dating we drove down around there. Went whale watching in Albany. It was a great experience.

Beautiful area. My oh originally came from Collie, WA. When we were dating we drove down around there. Went whale watching in Albany. It was a great experience.

Yeah did the whale watching myself now down there, it was right good. The guy played a recorder or a flute i think to the whales. He reckoned that's what brought them to the boat!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Good luck with the home schooling today. We're not back until tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

whelan2 wrote: »
    Good luck with the home schooling today. We're not back until tomorrow

Same as, teaching tomorrow- checking in and setting up today- a day of phone calls to parents in front of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭emaherx

mine need to home school themselves as we both need to still travel to work. We'll see how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

emaherx wrote: »
    mine need to home school themselves as we both need to still travel to work. We'll see how that goes.

Thats hard.. what ages are they ??

We've a 12YO & 18YO, but both independently working away there.. We had lunch there as per school lunch schedule and both gone back.. 12YO will be done in a half hour so I'll need to sort extra work for her, teacher does the same at school..

I'm WFH myself so its handy keep an eye on things..

18YO is really happy with things, seems all teachers doing online face to face teaching with ms meetings, if our broadband holds up !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

emaherx wrote: »

Same as that, 15 and 10 yr old. The mother is helping the youngest and we will say a prayer that the older lad won't just stick on farmflix instead of Ms teams 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Internet under pressure here today. i usually use the eir in my parents house but not going into the house for the moment so using a three wireless modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Internet under pressure here today. i usually use the eir in my parents house but not going into the house for the moment so using a three wireless modem.

we use three here

a couple of things that may help maintain a workable connection,

. change the network settings to 3G instead of 4G

.an outside aerial

if you need any info dm me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Kevhog1988 wrote: »

Maybe get the transmitter & receiver plugs to access the eir?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Maybe get the transmitter & receiver plugs to access the eir?

I moved our 3g modem out into a hedge where reception is much steadier, just within reach of a repeater in the front hall which boosts the wifi all over the house..

It looks like it belongs on the guntering thread but its made a massive difference.. We still get lower speeds at busy times, but lower speeds are better than no broadband.. As I speak eldest is on MS Teams class and its working perfect.

As a bonus, i can now have another repeater/booster in the farmyard and have decent wifi there now too, have automated lights onto my phone and plan to do same with electric fencer..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

orm0nd wrote: »
    we use three here

a couple of things that may help maintain a workable connection,

. change the network settings to 3G instead of 4G

.an outside aerial

if you need any info dm me
    I have a wireless connect Wi-Fi. signal is good in the sitting room where the first router is connected via cat5 to the external dish. I have a second router ( cat 5 and power supply, identical to the first one) in the office which is too far away from no.1 and can't pick it up. I can't get them to talk to each other. running a cable won't work as I can't access the roof voids. any ideas?!! I've gone on line and teide working in the addresses but it didn't work.
    thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

_Brian wrote: »
    I moved our 3g modem out into a hedge where reception is much steadier, just within reach of a repeater in the front hall which boosts the wifi all over the house..

It looks like it belongs on the guntering thread but its made a massive difference.. We still get lower speeds at busy times, but lower speeds are better than no broadband.. As I speak eldest is on MS Teams class and its working perfect.

As a bonus, i can now have another repeater/booster in the farmyard and have decent wifi there now too, have automated lights onto my phone and plan to do same with electric fencer..

Bought an antenna at ATC supplies
    Massive improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭emaherx

_Brian wrote: »
    Thats hard.. what ages are they ??

We've a 12YO & 18YO, but both independently working away there.. We had lunch there as per school lunch schedule and both gone back.. 12YO will be done in a half hour so I'll need to sort extra work for her, teacher does the same at school..

I'm WFH myself so its handy keep an eye on things..

18YO is really happy with things, seems all teachers doing online face to face teaching with ms meetings, if our broadband holds up !!

They are both 11, so at least they are working on the same stuff. The youngest hasn't started school yet.

The childminder can't help them very much as her English isn't fluent, but the little one is picking up Polish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Was offered a job milking down that direction too but ended up laying gas mains in Adelaide instead it was a more attractive option to be fair. North West Tasmania is fairly bush I was actually living right beside this island

https://youtu.be/lMyg-_a0t-k
    Never saw the muster take place but dealt with Red Wagyu calves on the farm i was on, mixed feelings on them but wouldnt mind a few fields of them all the same.

I found South Australia more like the wild west than WA and i didnt even get close to the heart of that state.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

DAFM are extending the exemption for calf TB tests - over 42 days to 120 days until the 1st of April. Calves that are going for export still need a TB test over 42 days old.
    Herds that are due a TB test and it cannot be done on time will be given a grace period of 28 days before their herd is locked/cannot sell or buy in.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/calf-tb-testing-flexibilities-extended-into-february-595051

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭White Clover

Congratulations to our two new moderators, emaherx and Albert Johnson!
    Hope it goes well for ye!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

AND THE WINNER IS.... White Clover, with a record breaking time of (at least) 7 hours.

Yes, the mods are very glad to welcome emaherx and Albert Johnson to the team.

It's been a slightly fraught trip for them but they're finally into the inner sanctum. :)

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Odelay

Due to budget cuts all they get is a can of fanta and a hand shandy. Coke and hookers are now out of the budget.

Advertisement