Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

What podcasts are you listening to these days? One of the books i was looking to get into isnt available, The Snowy by Siobhan McHugh all about the early days in modern Australia and how the Snowy Hydroelectrical scheme brought together all nationalities out there after the war despite being in the trenches against each other a few years earlier. Theres a good podcast/interview with the author i listened to on the conversation hour on the ABC if youd be interested in it i could try fi nd it again. Kings in grass castles is also on Audible, 17hrs long would nearly be worth signing up just to get the montb lut of that.

I remember Kings in Grass Castles being on TV! Mostly listening to the Working Cows, and Charlie Arnotts My Regenerative Journey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Justin Beatey on Who wants to be a millionaire worth a watch, on now on Sky 203

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

I remember Kings in Grass Castles being on TV! Mostly listening to the Working Cows, and Charlie Arnotts My Regenerative Journey

Its on Youtube as well. I must look them up, Days like these by the ABC was one i started on recently its definitly a mixed bag with it. A different interview everyweek, the latest one was about the Coffin Confessor a fella who at the request of the breaved gatecrashes the funeral and drops a bombshell to tbe attendees.

Better living everyone

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I'm going to stick to podcasts. I had been quite happy at the thought I'd be able to listen to books while out working, I'd absolute ate them without salt, but then €€€€€, nah.

If you're a member of a library, BorrowBox might be useful to you. And it's free.

https://www.borrowbox.com/

If you're a member of a library, BorrowBox might be useful to you. And it's free.

Looks a mighty job that does, how would one go about joining a library these days?

Better living everyone

• Advertisement

Looks a mighty job that does, how would one go about joining a library these days?

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Anyone on here use Audible? Looked into it there and it says its €14.95/ month and you can get one book at that and then its €14.95/ book thereafter for each extra book in that month. Is it not a bit steep compared to the likes of Netflix etc where you have unlimited streaming?

Sign up on the UK site and it's £7.99 a month. Works out a fair bit cheaper for the exact same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Give your local library a call.

Its on Youtube as well. I must look them up, Days like these by the ABC was one i started on recently its definitly a mixed bag with it. A different interview everyweek, the latest one was about the Coffin Confessor a fella who at the request of the breaved gatecrashes the funeral and drops a bombshell to tbe attendees.

I'm just after watching part 1 of Kings in Grass Castles, really enjoyed it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Anyone on here use Audible? Looked into it there and it says its €14.95/ month and you can get one book at that and then its €14.95/ book thereafter for each extra book in that month. Is it not a bit steep compared to the likes of Netflix etc where you have unlimited streaming?

Yea been with audible for a few years through the .co.uk site.

I like it, particularly when I’m out on the road on my own I’d rarely listen to the radio any more. If I’m out walking on my own I’d listen to stuff. You don’t find 5km walk going bye when listening to a good book.

It’s a totally different medium to Netflix so I’m not sure you can compare them at all.

There’s an amount of free stuff you can listen to, some of its rubbish but much is decent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

gozunda wrote: »
    Give your local library a call.

You can join online, or as gozunda sad, give your local library a call.

https://www.librariesireland.ie/join-your-library

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

My mum gets books delivered from the library, great service.
    They choose books on a similar theme to what she would have taken out before or she can ring in and request specific books.

She hosts rings when she’s read the books, they are collected and another set delivered.

She loves it.

You can join online, or as gozunda sad, give your local library a call.

https://www.librariesireland.ie/join-your-library

Got it sorted now thanks.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Slipped today on the ice, walking down the yard carrying stuff in both hands. Kinda fell backwards and hit the ground head and back at the same time. Don't think I hurt anything.
    I'm blaming the soles of the new Quatro Safety boots. Be careful out there.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,526 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Slipped today on the ice, walking down the yard carrying stuff in both hands. Kinda fell backwards and hit the ground head and back at the same time. Don't think I hurt anything.
    I'm blaming the soles of the new Quatro Safety boots. Be careful out there.
    Myself and the father were just talking about this this afternoon in the yard.
    We were both telling each other not to fall on the ice. We both told each other that sure as hell we'd do serious harm to ourselves and break bones and be laid up for a long time in the busiest time of the year.

Absolutely no thaw here today in the shade after last night's frost. It got to minus five.
    Pipes in the parlour froze even with the doors closed. Got a serious fright when the father turned on the milk pump this morning and instead of turning it off when he noticed it wasn't working instead went with hot water all around it. Could have burnt out my motor. Luckily there was a reset button in the control box. Pressed that and after the pipes were free of ice it worked.
    Parlour is all drained out proper tonight and doors closed again.

It's a hateful time and weather. It's nice to look out at if you're pushing paper but if not..

Take it easy Patsy and get to bed early.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Last place you want to be going atm is casualty. I've a terrible habit of walking with my 2 hand in the sleeves of my bodywatmer iykwim. No hands then to stop a fall. It's to rain tonight here, thank God

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Myself and the father were just talking about this this afternoon in the yard.
    We were both telling each other not to fall on the ice. We both told each other that sure as hell we'd do serious harm to ourselves and break bones and be laid up for a long time in the busiest time of the year.

Absolutely no thaw here today in the shade after last night's frost. It got to minus five.
    Pipes in the parlour froze even with the doors closed. Got a serious fright when the father turned on the milk pump this morning and instead of turning it off when he noticed it wasn't working instead went with hot water all around it. Could have burnt out my motor. Luckily there was a reset button in the control box. Pressed that and after the pipes were free of ice it worked.
    Parlour is all drained out proper tonight and doors closed again.

It's a hateful time and weather. It's nice to look out at if you're pushing paper but if not..

Take it easy Patsy and get to bed early.

Last frost for the moment is tonight. You'll get a breather for the time being at least. Frost is a nuisance.

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Last frost for the moment is tonight. You'll get a breather for the time being at least. Frost is a nuisance.

It'll be very slippy still tomorrow morning.

May be more at the end of the month. Start of next.
    Plenty more chances before the year is out. Have to roll with whatever the dice throws.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

It allowed a bit of travel in a few spots today all the same jb &it's not yet 1st February

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

ruwithme wrote: »
    It allowed a bit of travel in a few spots today all the same jb &it's not yet 1st February

Makes a great job of land,anything is better than rain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Grueller

Absolutely. I threw out a half dozen loads of parlour washings today and never left a mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Jb1989

That's true alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Plenty more chances before the year is out. Have to roll with whatever the dice throws.

Did some mud diving yesterday with a wheelbarrow. Combination of ice and mud. The worst thing wasn't the fall - it was the audience laughing their heads off at me upside down covered in ****e ;)

January is really only the start of Winter in farming imo. Heard of a young trained farmer once proclaim during the break between Christmas and New Years he was glad Winter was over, he'll get an education yet.

January is really only the start of Winter in farming imo. Heard of a young trained farmer once proclaim during the break between Christmas and New Years he was glad Winter was over, he'll get an education yet.

You'd notice the evenings getting a bit longer. 5.45 yesterday evening when it was dark

I was at a farm walk in the early 2000's, late January.
    The farm advisor was thrilled with the mild weather at the time and proclaimed with farm advances and global warming that grass would be able to be grazed year round and winter would be no more.

Cue 2009, 10, solar minimum and snow and ice. Even this year we're supposed to be the year after a minimum. It's not exactly mild teen weather. The weather geeks will hate this bit we were really blessed in the late 90's early 2000's for grass growth. It was during this time that people got really serious about extended grazing and understanding roadways, when they saw all this grass to be grazed over winter. In the southeast anyway.
    Before that it was prepare for a seven month winter and big fields and no roadways only gap from field to field.

Sure even march 2018 showed how the winter can bite. And April can have frost burnt grass and may snow on mountains.

Anyways I like snow (in moderation). It means a great growing year ahead in my books.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I was always told growing up that the winter didn't start until after Xmas and that you'd want half your fodder left on March 1st. We often get better milder weather here in the West during December than during March or April. The end of the winter feeding used to be considered May 1st but I'd usually budget for another week or 10 day's as grass growth can be very slow in April in recent year's.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think climate is 6 weeks behind the calendar.

Water John wrote: »
    I think climate is 6 weeks behind the calendar.

But wasnt October ****e, the came November which was crap too. Serious amount of rain fell since September

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Mine is a broad generalised rule of thumb.

Advertisement