Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

whelan2 wrote: »
    But wasnt October ****e, the came November which was crap too. Serious amount of rain fell since September

Climate change is said to deliver up milder wetter winters with more frequent “weather events”

Can really see that in action over the last 30-40 years.

Less spells of frost and snow with more amd more wet spells.

When you think of it we get very few spells of days without rain. When I was a kid we’d be messing about the fields making hay for weeks, occasional “summer shower” but from 1985 things seemed to flip amd now it’s hard to get 3-4 days where a lad can wrap up a bit of silage.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Has anyone ever seen anyone buying any of those plant based foods in a supermarket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Has anyone ever seen anyone buying any of those plant based foods in a supermarket?

Only in the fruit and veg section :p

Would even know where they are located, never looked for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

NcdJd wrote: »
    Only in the fruit and veg section :p

Would even know where they are located, never looked for them.

Went to lidl today, they are advertised on the billboard outside. Theres a fair chunk of the refrigerated section given over to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

• Advertisement

Went to lidl today, they are advertised on the billboard outside. Theres a fair chunk of the refrigerated section given over to them.

Alot of adverts on the telly too. It means little to some companies whether it's meat or plant. Same processed rubbish only a different base material.

I was always told growing up that the winter didn't start until after Xmas and that you'd want half your fodder left on March 1st. We often get better milder weather here in the West during December than during March or April. The end of the winter feeding used to be considered May 1st but I'd usually budget for another week or 10 day's as grass growth can be very slow in April in recent year's.

I'm in the same neighbourhood and I would say that's a smart policy. Seen years where growth didn't start until we were knocking on June's front door. Better to be looking at it than looking for it.

I’ve two sisters who buy that quorn muck. Neither of them a clue abkut what a good healthy diet is. Always on fad diets, spending a week or two attending these fitness camps where your flipping tyres amd rubbish. Then pay someone to wash their windows at home 🙄

Neither of their husbands touch it.

I offered them sausages from our home reared pigs. One refused outright “you wouldn’t know what’s on them” and the other took them but threw them out 😡

Food for idiots is my opinion.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I'm in the same neighbourhood and I would say that's a smart policy. Seen years where growth didn't start until we were knocking on June's front door. Better to be looking at it than looking for it.

I'm always amazed at how quickly the change occurs especially in years where it seems to go from winter to summer in a matter of day's. I've posted before about seeing cattle eating out of a ring feeder while in the field across the road there was a baler hard at work securing the next fodder crop. Granted this was an extreme comparison of a total rooter and a first class operator but I've often been feeding out bales the 10th of May and watching them being made locally a week or 2 later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭White Clover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,526 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

_Brian wrote: »
    I’ve two sisters who buy that quorn muck. Neither of them a clue abkut what a good healthy diet is. Always on fad diets, spending a week or two attending these fitness camps where your flipping tyres amd rubbish. Then pay someone to wash their windows at home 🙄

I offered them sausages from our home reared pigs. One refused outright “you wouldn’t know what’s on them” and the other took them but threw them out 😡

That's a bit Irish now and family at that!

If you're offering Brian I'd have a few mouths I know would be interested in a few sausages.
    To be sure now is the hygiene good?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That's a bit Irish now and family at that!

If you're offering Brian I'd have a few mouths I know would be interested in a few sausages.
    To be sure now is the hygiene good?

If you cook them through all the bugs will be killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,526 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Water John wrote: »
    If you cook them through all the bugs will be killed.

There's no bugs in Cavan.

How dare you besmirch Brian's sausages.

Shame on you Water John...Shame.

Ya wouldn't mind some people, including myself, would give they're right eyeball to get sausages like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Odelay

Bought a 500g tub of yogurt on Saturday. Terrible taste off it, couldn't figure out why it was so manky. was checking the date an all. Then i seen in small print made from soya. Feckin Vegan crap. How they eat that shoite i don't know.

Has posted here in the past...

Odelay wrote: »
    Bought a 500g tub of yogurt on Saturday. Terrible taste off it, couldn't figure out why it was so manky. was checking the date an all. Then i seen in small writhing made from soya. Feckin Vegan crap. How they eat that shoite i don't know.

That a terrible story Odelay. I'd recommend a large bowl of cocopops and loads of proper milk to clean the system out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Rare breed on now on utv

tanko wrote: »
    Rare breed on now on utv

Watching Rick Stein in the Auvergne region of France on RTE describing the Charolais cattle as part of the regional Terroir for grass fed beef based on the local soil, topography, and climate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

gozunda wrote: »
    Watching Rick Stein in the Auvergne region of France on RTE about the Charolais cattle as part of the regional Terroir - grass fed beef based on the local soil, topography, and climate

I like his programmes, they’re always very interesting. No bs with him, he keeps things simple and always looks for what the locals cook and eat.

I like his programmes, they’re always very interesting. No bs with him, he keeps things simple and always looks for what the locals cook and eat.

This is better than watching ear to the ground. Just on a farm that makes cheese, He was describing the difference of two cheeses, one made in winter with the cows eating hay and one made in summer when the cows are out in the meadows. Farmer said the summer milk is more richer hence the different taste.

Why do the cows have bells ? Is it to find them if they go awol ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Water John wrote: »
    I think climate is 6 weeks behind the calendar.

Feb is the coldest month in the Arctic which is why N/NE winds at that time of year hear can often deliver the coldest temps and heaviest snowfall. The classic being Feb 1947 which was the snowiest winter month of the 20th century

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭emaherx

It's because their horns don't work :p

emaherx wrote: »
    It's because their horns don't work :p

I knew I shouldn't have asked that question :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭emaherx

And I know I shouldn't have answered, but here we are :D

emaherx wrote: »
    And I know I shouldn't have answered, but here we are :D

Feck it you have take any opportunity you can get for a humour in these times!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

This is better than watching ear to the ground. Just on a farm that makes cheese, He was describing the difference of two cheeses, one made in winter with the cows eating hay and one made in summer when the cows are out in the meadows. Farmer said the summer milk is more richer hence the different taste.

If they are threatened by wildlife and start pucking at them the bell starts ringing madly and alerts the rest of the herd. That's what I was told on the hills in switzerland anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

gozunda wrote: »
    Watching Rick Stein in the Auvergne region of France on RTE describing the Charolais cattle as part of the regional Terroir for grass fed beef based on the local soil, topography, and climate

I watched that too. He said he was born and raised on a farm. Maybe that's something to do with it.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

You will learn

Advertisement