Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance, learner's permit

• 19-10-2020 4:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Good day guys. Im really new here in ireland. i already got my learners permit, im 29yo and working. just wondering if will i have difficulty insuring a car, im planning to buy a bmw 3 series 2014. iv been driving in our country before (asia). thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

Good day guys. Im really new here in ireland. i already got my learners permit, im 29yo and working. just wondering if will i have difficulty insuring a car, im planning to buy a bmw 3 series 2014. iv been driving in our country before (asia). thanks in advance.

You should be able to get insurance, but it will cost. Have you tried to get any quotes online? Liberty is worth a try, they insured me as a learner.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 chokzdgreat

rurs wrote: »
    You should be able to get insurance, but it will cost. Have you tried to get any quotes online? Liberty is worth a try, they insured me as a learner.

thanks for the reply mate. how much did you pay for your insurance and does type of car matters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

thanks for the reply mate. how much did you pay for your insurance and does type of car matters?

Type and age of car does matter, but so does your age, where you live, and your occupation etc. I'm over 40, and went with an older car in the lowest insurance group. It cost €2200.

This page gives an idea of the different ratings applied to various makes and models.
    https://www.parkers.co.uk/car-insurance/insurance-groups/
    It's a UK site, but I think it's much the same here.
    Just stick your details into one of the insurance sites, it's the only way to get an idea for your circumstances. You're under no obligation, and you can adjust it once you have a quote with different cars to see if it makes much difference.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Some companies such as 123.ie have a 'Young Drivers' insurance, which can also be used by older people with Learners Permit. They install a recording box in the car and you receive a discount on your insurance. It brought my Arona insurance under 123go, from 1900 to 1400 (and now to 1000 after passing the test).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Do not buy that car until you have a firm quote for insurance that is within your budget.

Insuring a BMW on a learner permit will be very expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

coylemj wrote: »
    Do not buy that car until you have a firm quote for insurance that is within your budget.

Insuring a BMW on a learner permit will be very expensive.

Even getting a quote on a BMW with a learners permit will be the first hurdle tbh.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement