Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Greatest Song from the Movies - Live Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Ben E. King - Stand By Me (Stand By Me)
    Survivor - Eye of The Tiger (Rocky 3)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Simple Minds - Don't You (Forget About Me) (The Breakfast Club)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Stand By Me. Makes me nostalgic for a time I never experienced. That's special.

Rocky. They hype of that tune is unrivaled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Bruce Springsteen - Streets of Philadelphia (Philadelphia)
    Simple Minds - Don't You (Forget About Me)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,091 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Ben E King
    Simple Minds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

simple minds

Bruce

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Ben E. King - Stand By Me (Stand By Me) 13 7 Bruce Springsteen - Streets of Philadelphia (Philadelphia)
    Simple Minds - Don't You (Forget About Me) (The Breakfast Club) 11 9 Survivor - Eye of The Tiger (Rocky 3)

Grand Finale on the way, as usual, it will be vote by PM, please continue to chat here

Grand Finale - Please vote by PM, voting closes at 20:00 tonight.

Originally recorded by Ben E. King in 1961, it became a major hit in 1986 as the soundtrack for the movie of the same name, Stand by Me. The song has been recorded over 400 times by various artists, most notably by John Lennon.

Route to Final

R1 6-2 Butterfly Boucher / David Bowie - Changes (Shrek 2)
    R2 8-3 Judy Garland - Over The Rainbow (The Wizard of Oz)
    R3 9-1 Pete Cetera - Glory of love (The Karate Kid Part II)
    R4 9-7 Simon & Garfunkel - Mrs. Robinson (The Graduate)
    QF 11-8 Eric Idle - Always Look on the Brightside of Life (Life of Brain)
    SF 13-7 Bruce Springsteen - Streets of Philadelphia (Philadelphia)

Vs

Simple Minds originally rejected the song as they didn't want to record a song they didn't write. The song was then offered to Bryan Ferry and Billy Idol, who both rejected it also. Simple Minds eventually decided to record it, it would go on to be their biggest hit.

Route to Final

R1 7-1 The Byrds - Turn, Turn, Turn (In America)
    R2 8-5 Kenny Loggins - Danger Zone (Top Gun)
    R3 9-3 The Rolling Stones - Paint it Black (Apocalypse Now)
    R4 9-3 John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John - You're the one That I Want (Grease)
    QF 9-5 Eminem - Lose Yourself (8 Mile)
    SF 11-9 Survivor - Eye of The Tiger (Rocky 3)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Mine done too.

I do regret some of the songs rejected. Songs that I am really fond of - The Doors, Some of the Rockys, Casablanca, Eric Idle, all the Vietnam backdrop numbers. ....

Still, C'est la vie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Two great songs in the final.

there is an interesting background story to Don't You Forget About Me. Simple Minds initially rejected the offer to record the song and it was offered to a couple more artists before circling back to Simple Minds who reluctantly agreed to record it.
    I have seen Simple Minds live a few times and always got the feeling that Jim Kerr doesn't really enjoy performing it, but it was the song that finally broke them to U.S.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Purgative wrote: »
    Mine done too.

I do regret some of the songs rejected. Songs that I am really fond of - The Doors, Some of the Rockys, Casablanca, Eric Idle, all the Vietnam backdrop numbers. ....

Still, C'est la vie.
    Don't forget the Top Guns, Dirty Dancing too- I thought that would make it to the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,091 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Two great songs in the final.

there is an interesting background story to Don't You Forget About Me. Simple Minds initially rejected the offer to record the song and it was offered to a couple more artists before circling back to Simple Minds who reluctantly agreed to record it.
    I have seen Simple Minds live a few times and always got the feeling that Jim Kerr doesn't really enjoy performing it, but it was the song that finally broke them to U.S.

Never knew that it wasn't composed by the band. It brings back great memories of their Croker gig on that long hot sunny day in 1986, ending with a thunderstorm and lightening show as they did their encore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Don't forget the Top Guns, Dirty Dancing too- I thought that would make it to the final.

They're OK but to me (a musical illiterate) they're a bit formulaic, though I'd have put money on one the Rockys getting through - which of course are totally not formulaic .... oh :o

I maybe want too much. A great song, spliced seamlessly to a brilliant movie - the holy grail - but its fun looking and learning :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Purgative wrote: »
    They're OK but to me (a musical illiterate) they're a bit formulaic, though I'd have put money on one the Rockys getting through - which of course are totally not formulaic .... oh :o

I maybe want too much. A great song, spliced seamlessly to a brilliant movie - the holy grail - but its fun looking and learning :)

13 votes in so far and it couldnt be closer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Liebling

Not sure whether I can vote as I've just found this thread. Tough final but I'm going for Stand By Me

Liebling wrote: »
    Not sure whether I can vote as I've just found this thread. Tough final but I'm going for Stand By Me

Hi Liebling, sure everyone can vote. Hope you enjoyed the thread. Please send me a PM with your vote so I can officially add it to the count. Thanks :)

• Advertisement

One of mine that went out sadly in the prelims..
    Has to be one of the most poignant uses of a song in a film ever... Queen's..Who wants to live forever.. Need to find some tissues...going to go and cry now..

• Registered Users Posts: 86,701 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Was this Top Gun song nominated?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Was this Top Gun song nominated?

No, danger zone, berlin and cheap trick were.

With over an hour to go, there is still one vote in it

• Registered Users Posts: 86,701 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is Loggins still doing music, he should do something new for Top Gun 2

The votes are in and counted.

Thanks everyone for playing along, hope you all had fun.

See you all next time for another contest.

Result on the way

Boardsies greatest song from the movies is.....

Simple Minds - Don't You (Forget about Me) (The Breakfast Club)

Simple Minds - Don't You (Forget About Me) (The Breakfast Club) 11
    JohnGreenFan
    LeVar
    AndrewJRenko
    Necro
    Aris
    Sawduck
    Lirange
    BooBoo
    Terence Rattigan
    Zak Flaps
    speckle

Ben E. King - Stand By Me (Stand By Me) 10
    Tusk
    Mack
    ArnoldJRimmer
    Purgative
    The Purple tin
    Hallaz
    Liz
    Shane
    Rebe
    SineadSpears

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

A great winner, a true 80s classic!!

Thank you for organising Kolido, really appreciate all the time and effort you put in these competitions!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Delighted with that winner, a great song from one of my favourite movies, the ending is iconic because of the song. Thanks for running this tournament kolido, great job as always

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

giphy.gif

Delighted with that. Was the first song that sprang to mind as soon as the tournament was announced, was always my winner regardless who it would've been up against in the final.

Cheers Kol. Great tournament, as always!

Advertisement