Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1440 resolution monitor choice

Options
  • 19-10-2020 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm keen to get a monitor that supports 1440 res and 144Hz but I'm a little wary that 27" monitor is too big for my setup so I've been focused on getting a good 24" instead that supports 1440. (saying that I don't want to rule out 27" completely if that's eth sensible thing to do).

Hoping to get something at a reasonable price too.

my spec is:

10th Gen Intel® CoreTM i7 10700F
    AMD RadeonTM RX 5700 XT 8GB
    16GB Dual Channel HyperXTM FURY DDR4 XMP at 2933MHz

I've been looking at getting this one that seems to be getting decent reviews but is a TN model (looks grey in dark room etc)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LT04C30/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Could anybody advise?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Don't bother with TN. A good IPS is close to the response times of TN but with much better colours.

I think spend an extra 100 pounds and get the best rated sub £500 IPS panel on the market. The LG GL850. It is 27" though but I think that's an ideal size for a PC unless you have to sit close to your monitor.

It's gone up in price a bit because demand is high but it's going to be my next big PC purchase.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07T7K2V7L?tag=pcp0f-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

I bought the LG GL850 last week on Amazon.de, got it for €410 including postage although this was through b-grade warehouse stock, monitor was in perfect condition and only the box was a bit damaged and resealed and the HDMI cable was missing

Very happy with the purchase and would recommend it hands down

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭AllForIt

For 1440 the bigger the screen the better. 24" is too small imo.

AllForIt wrote: »
    For 1440 the bigger the screen the better. 24" is too small imo.

I wouldn't say that. PPI (pixels per inch) is fairly important. The 24" would have better PPI but it's a bit small. Bigger than 27" the PPI starts getting a bit low which leads to an aliased (jaggy edge) looking image. Most of the best 1440p monitors are 27" as well.

Looks like there's a better option than the GL850 now.

It's a Dell monitor using the same panel as the GL850 but it's 165hz and slightly outperforms the GL850 and can be got cheaper too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

BloodBath wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that. PPI (pixels per inch) is fairly important. The 24" would have better PPI but it's a bit small. Bigger than 27" the PPI starts getting a bit low which leads to an aliased (jaggy edge) looking image. Most of the best 1440p monitors are 27" as well.

1440/27" really is sweet spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

BloodBath wrote: »
    Looks like there's a better option than the GL850 now.

It's a Dell monitor using the same panel as the GL850 but it's 165hz and slightly outperforms the GL850 and can be got cheaper too.
    €433 shipped from Dell (shipping late November though): https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/dell-27-gaming-monitor-s2721dgf/apd/210-avwe/monitors-monitor-accessories

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

All good suggestions so far. 27" definitely over 24", and get a monitor arm to free up space if needed.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

That's a sweet deal. Might just pull the trigger on it. Estimated deliver date 15th of December though. A nice Christmas present at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭markcellardoor

thanks folks for the tips folks.

LG & Dell monitors get great write ups. Cancelled the AOC in the end & ordered the Dell monitor as the price was right.

Only have to wait for Dec 17th delivery now...

• Advertisement
Advertisement