Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to cycling - how do people deal with punctures?

Options
  • 19-10-2020 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭

I've just started getting into cycling again (like many others it seems)

I am overweight and just starting out easy for now. I have a cheap hybrid bike that I have been going out on country roads on (I live in Donegal)

Been going a little bit further since I started a few weeks back, maybe about 22, 23km now.
    I will soon have a roadbike (birthday gift from the wife) and hopefully will be able to build up and try going further distances on it.

One thing that I have wondered about is what I would do if I get a puncture when I'm a long distance from my house? Should I carry a spare tube incase? I'm really a newbie so don't know much at all really.

Any other advice for starting out more than welcome as well 🙂

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Yeah, it's a good idea to be able to replace a tube at the side of the road.

What I suggest is you buy a couple of tubes for your bike and practice now at home once or twice.

Better that than to have to figure it out on a cold day in the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭ratracer

I am overweight and just starting out easy for now. I have a cheap hybrid bike that I have been going out on country roads on (I live in Donegal)

Been going a little bit further since I started a few weeks back, maybe about 22, 23km now.
    I will soon have a roadbike (birthday gift from the wife) and hopefully will be able to build up and try going further distances on it.

One thing that I have wondered about is what I would do if I get a puncture when I'm a long distance from my house? Should I carry a spare tube incase? I'm really a newbie so don't know much at all really.

Any other advice for starting out more than welcome as well 🙂

Things to carry in your jersey pocket: Spare tube (or two), 2x tyre levers, pump. Fixing a puncture is a simple matter, just practice taking your wheel in and off. I’m assuming your bike will have quick release axles, so won’t need other tools.
    YouTube is your friend here, look up GCN for their bike repairs/ service clips!

Happy cycling, not the best time of year for it, get a good set of lights also.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Learn to use a C02 inflator at home, don't try it first time on the roadside.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Any other advice for starting out more than welcome as well ��

The 2 most important bits of kit you should never ever ever leave home without........

your phone, and a few bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

ratracer wrote: »
    Things to carry in your jersey pocket: Spare tube (or two), 2x tyre levers, pump.

I suggest carrying disposable surgical gloves - keeps your hands clean while you deal with the puncture. You can buy them on Amazon or on some hardware shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

A third tyre lever adds a lot of extra fun (well, less pain) for nearly zero investment

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

brownian wrote: »
    A third tyre lever adds a lot of extra fun (well, less pain) for nearly zero investment
    ...or just use the handles of the QR skewers if you have no levers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ratracer wrote: »
    Things to carry in your jersey pocket
    you can also get a saddlebag which would hold these, or if you've a spare bottlecage, a spares bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

you can also get a saddlebag which would hold these, or if you've a spare bottlecage, a spares bottle.

or, if you're like a lad who comes out with me a fair bit, bring absolutely none of those bits, and rely on the other lads to have them for you.

:mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

he sounds like he has the best idea. porters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Prevention is better than cure.

If you haven't already got one then get a track pump. This is a pump with a pressure gauge that you leave at home and inflate your tyres regularly with. I am guessing with a hybrid you want to be looking at about 85 to 90 psi but it should be written on the side of the tyre what pressure you should pump to.
    Every so often check the tyres for bits of embedded glass and other debris. Remove them with the point of a knife.
    Under inflated tyres are one of the main causes of punctures..

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭patspost

+1 on the track pump, keep your tyres well inflated.

Carry a couple of spare tubes and the ability to replace one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I bin the bike and get a new one

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Or carry tubes, patches, levers, and a pump (sometimes 2)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Don’t wait till you get a puncture on the side of the road. It’s no fun trying to figure out how to replace a tube while standing on the side of the road in the rain and when it’s dark.
    Get a spare tube and Head out to the garage and replace the tube in the rear wheel. Remove the wheels, use tyre levers to unseat one side of the tyre, replace the inner tune, refit the tyre (using your hands only) reinflate the tyre and finally refit the wheel to the bike. Practice using Co canisters and a mini-pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭secman

Before taking back wheel off, click the chain across to the small cog, handler when putting it back on .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

secman wrote: »
    Before taking back wheel off, click the chain across to the small cog, handler when putting it back on .

also, put a small amount of air into the new tube before fitting it into the tyre, makes it easier to handle and position than a completely flat tube.

....and under no circumstances should the bike be placed upside down during these procedures.

....and under no circumstances should the bike be placed upside down during these procedures.

Ah ......... Guilty as charged.... do get "looks" ftom the lads but its my bike :) and i don't phaff around when its upside down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Wow thanks for all the reply and tips.
    I posted this in the right place anyway.

Well I'll get my road bike in about 2 weeks. It has the quick release wheels, it has a pump and lights with it already. Although I'm not sure how accurate the pressure gauge is on the pump.

I've repaired and replaced tubes on mountain bikes and my kids bikes in the past but never on a road bike,this will be my first.

I will have to get a couple of tubes, and try changing it and see how I get on. The co2 canisters sound like a good idea as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Prevention is better than cure.

If you haven't already got one then get a track pump. This is a pump with a pressure gauge that you leave at home and inflate your tyres regularly with. I am guessing with a hybrid you want to be looking at about 85 to 90 psi but it should be written on the side of the tyre what pressure you should pump to.
    Every so often check the tyres for bits of embedded glass and other debris. Remove them with the point of a knife.
    Under inflated tyres are one of the main causes of punctures..
    IIRC a hybrid is about 40 to 70psi, a road bike would be 80 to 120psi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Does the choice of tyre make much of a difference to punctures. Are some more puncture resistant than others?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭dublin49

have fixed punctures on cycles but i always struggle to re align the brakes.any tips would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

joe40 wrote: »
    Does the choice of tyre make much of a difference to punctures. Are some more puncture resistant than others?

Huge.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

What ever you don't go on the path to safely change your tire, or you might find a thread started about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

ED E wrote: »
    Huge.

Yes, ask your bike shop for puncture resistant ones. They will probably be a bit slower and more expensive, but probably worth it. However, your primary line of defence is pumped up tires.

If the money matters to you then just pump your ones up to the max or close to it, learn how to change them (bear in mind the back one will be slightly different to the front in terms of getting the wheel back on the chain), though you prob know this already from other bikes, and see how you get on. If you don't get punctures prob no need to shell out on puncture proof tires?

Personally, I'm very puncture averse - hate the hassle. So I ride my tires more inflated than many would. Have to say I very rarely get punctures, even on really delicate tires, save for one time when I experimented with lower pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Can someone explain why it's a no-no to turn your bike upside down....and how to change a back-wheel puncture without doing so? I'm slow to balance my bike on the rear derailleur? Or is this a 'rule' like wearing socks the right length and never pulling your arm warmers down to your wrists without taking them off entirely?

brownian wrote: »
    Can someone explain why it's a no-no to turn your bike upside down....and how to change a back-wheel puncture without doing so? I'm slow to balance my bike on the rear derailleur? Or is this a 'rule' like wearing socks the right length and never pulling your arm warmers down to your wrists without taking them off entirely?
    Do you turn your car upside down when changing a wheel?

Do you turn your car upside down when changing a wheel?

Would if i could.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

or, if you're like a lad who comes out with me a fair bit, bring absolutely none of those bits, and rely on the other lads to have them for you.

I cycle with a guy that carries two CO2 canisters, but no inflator attachment. So no use whatsoever. But then he also doesn't bring food, and I usually have to feed him.
    I wouldn't feed him on the last spin and he hasn't been out since!

Advertisement