Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conversion of Large Grass Lawn to Gravel/Mulch landscape

Options
  • 19-10-2020 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has experience of doing this on a large scale basis or can copy and paste a link to where this has been discussed on this board before?

I have a large front lawn in the country side. About 600 sq metres or thereabouts. Mix of clay/peaty loam. About 4 feet below road level. Drains poorly. Wasn't properly drained by previous owners. Very wet in shoulder seasons. Was going to drain it but am giving serious consideration to not returning it to grass as i have two smaller rear lawns to cut.

Thinking of going with a large landscaped area with occasional shrubs (buxus, ornamental grass, etc) surrounded by stone/gravel/mulch. Anyone have any posts/links to something similar or feedback on such a move?

I will try and post a pic here
    V3iyi5pbZZiyzdaq6

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,428 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you do decide to do this, take the long term approach and get the area dug out and a good layer of hardcore and infill put in first b.efore putting in a good layer of gravel, and be prepared to top up the gravel in a year. If you want to put shrubs in it, allow for them - they will be happy to grow from under a gravel mulch but the compressed sub layer will not be good for them.

I would suggest a couple of large areas given over to shrubs - like a gravel covered shrub border - will look better than the scattered shrubs approach.

Whatever you do a few weeds will grow, but are easy to get out. They will grow in the soil available for the shrubs so there will be a bit of extra weeding there at least until the shrubs are established.

I would suggest using this system rather than membrane, but its a much debated topic. I personally have found the whole business of putting down membrane then cutting it to put in shrubs and trying to cover it again (a second collar of membrane under the cut is the only way) ineffective.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bigdawg

Thank you for that reply Looksee. I tried to post a picture of the area but didnt succeed. Despite putting the hosted image between the [IMG][/IMG] tags. Apologies.

Advertisement