Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you like to live in a mansion?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Hate to break it to you OP but that's not a mansion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

mfceiling wrote: »
    Hate to break it to you OP but that's not a mansion.

To me it is, it's a monster of a thing like JR's house. I just don't get the desire to have a house that big.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Jaysus Christ.

Bigger the house.
    Smaller your willy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

It's no where near a been a mansion nor is it Vulger looking. Sure my Parents old house had 6 bedrooms in it and it was built in the 70s there new one has 7 bedrooms and 6 bathrooms well had they made changes since then. My own house has 3 bathrooms and that enough. If I won the lotto sure I would live in a big house with cleaners too but it would look very different to an ordinary boring house. I think I would hire a Canadian architect to design it and it would be out of this world cool and a passive design too so warm in winter cool in summer.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Wolftown

The spite, jealously and begrudgery is surprising in this thread! Going by the majority of replies we should all be living in sheds, driving the cheapest/crappiest cars and wearing rags. Coming from a semi-d owner, I would love to have the space offered in that house. Anyone running it down is just downright jealous, it's kind of laughable and sad at the same time. Sure why would you want space for more than 2 chairs in your garden? Why would you ever want space for more than 2 cars in the driveway? Why have more than 1 bathroom? Because it's nice to have, that's why!

Wolftown wrote: »
    The spite, jealously and begrudgery is surprising in this thread! Going by the majority of replies we should all be living in sheds, driving the cheapest/crappiest cars and wearing rags. Coming from a semi-d owner, I would love to have the space offered in that house. Anyone running it down is just downright jealous, it's kind of laughable and sad at the same time. Sure why would you want space for more than 2 chairs in your garden? Why would you ever want space for more than 2 cars in the driveway? Why have more than 1 bathroom? Because it's nice to have, that's why!

Didn't see any spite and jealousy? I'm just trying to understand the mindset of owning such an enormous house, when something much smaller that takes up less land would suffice. I'm more of a less is more person so I'm just wondering why anyone would want something so big.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭3d4life

Every week I see the kinds of properties below listed on the Journal, and commenters below praising how wonderful they are, and I just can't get my head around why anyone would want to live in such an enormous abomination, unless you're a character in Dallas?

https://www.thejournal.ie/the-paddocks-east-cork-5234066-Oct2020/

What are the advantages of living in a massive house like this? It must be a nightmare to keep clean! And why would you want a lawn that big? It's a bit pointless really, surely a few trees wouldn't go amiss.
    You also have to drive to get anywhere. These are all over Ireland, including not too far from me in North County Dublin there are loads. I understand you might like the peace of being in the middle of nowhere, but why would a house ever need to be that big?

I just don't get the appeal, is it just me?

I wouldn't fancy it.

Looks could easily be improved with some shrubs & climbers

I would have use for a much larger garden area ( OP broaden your horizons - take a look at the gardening forum)

Seems to lack a greenhouse

There are many people paying much more for terraced / semi detached houses in the suburbs of Dublin. I bet a lot of them wish they could figure out how to work from east Cork :D.

Its not a mansion

If you want to see something that approaches a modern day mansion look up Fingal planning ref F17A/0182

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭JimToken

Skeetur wrote: »
    Exactly. And sure why would you need a roof when you can just carry an umbrella around with ya?

And sure why you need a door when you can just have an opening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

I misread it, thinking it was 7 Acres, It is on a .7 Acre site. That is tiny for out in the country.

• Advertisement

3d4life wrote: »
    There are many people paying much more for terraced / semi detached houses in the suburbs of Dublin. I bet a lot of them wish they could figure out how to work from east Cork :D.

Why do people have this belief that everyone in Dublin and other cities wants to live in a house this big?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

You should move. You're not happy where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Hah, don't get these aggressive replies. If we were jealous of the size of homes why would we be critcising these god awful country piles and not the actually geuinely attractive mansions of say donnybrook or ranelagh? I know a nice big house when I see it, the irish rural mcmansions only fit the latter half of the description unfortunately. Bigger isnt better

Well designed spaces > big spaces

home-design.jpg
    Thisrandom little micro garden I found when looking up small dublin homes has magnitudes more charm and usability than the sterile car runway out side the 'mansion' in the OP despite being probably over a hundred times smaller. It may be verging into overly small territory and the size limits any home modifications or extensions but at least it's a garden space I could envision spending some time there or having guests there. What does one do in the featureless mansion green - sprints?

But yeh different strokes I suppose ;)

Why do people have this belief that everyone in Dublin and other cities wants to live in a house this big?!

That is your assumption TM

Some will, some wont.

You really must look up that Fingal planning ref :eek:

( have you managed to figure out what someone might do with a couple of acres of garden ? )

That is your assumption TM

Some will, some wont.

You really must look up that Fingal planning ref :eek:

( have you managed to figure out what someone might do with a couple of acres of garden ? )

I'm not sure I want to see the planning ref, but just up the road from me there are loads of really enormous houses, this is in Dublin. Up around where Charlie used to live.
    If I ever found myself with a garden that size I'd plant a few unusual trees probably and just leave the rest for woodland critters!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭kingstevii

Bigger the house.
    Smaller your willy.

And here's me sitting in a tiny one bed apartment! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

It's not that big or that bad. Typical large country home of the last 20 years really. Fair few houses that size in parts of Dublin too.

Wouldn't be for me too hard/expensive to heat.

I'm not sure I want to see the planning ref, but just up the road from me there are loads of really enormous houses, this is in Dublin. Up around where Charlie used to live.
    If I ever found myself with a garden that size I'd plant a few unusual trees probably and just leave the rest for woodland critters!

Would you not be bothered to start an orchard, grow your own veggies and soft fruit ?

This is all long term stuff. Things will take at least 10 years before they take shape...

Those houses near Charlie's old place are nothing ... there is a house up off the Old Carrickbrack Road that has been under construction for more than five years now :P

Would you not be bothered to start an orchard, grow your own veggies and soft fruit ?

This is all long term stuff. Things will take at least 10 years before they take shape...

Those houses near Charlie's old place are nothing ... there is a house up off the Old Carrickbrack Road that has been under construction for more than five years now :P

No I don't want a garden that size I'm not willing to put the work in! If you want to put your own allotment there or something you're welcome to it. We can work something out, just give me a few turnips or whatever and I'll be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I know a guy who is as tight as you can get, he built a house like this one though, apparently he built it so big because his in laws have a big house, so he had to build a bigger one. very sad to be like that in fairness. he doesn't seem to have any money now because the house cost him so much to build, he is literally living on bread and water now it seems.

Serves him right for being such a twat!

Bigger the house.
    Smaller your willy.

Possibly, but i still reckon you'll pull a supermodel easier having a 1 inch dick and a 10 bed mansion, than you would with a 10 inch dick and 1 bed apartment!

Call me cynical if you must:D

No I don't want a garden that size I'm not willing to put the work in! If you want to put your own allotment there or something you're welcome to it. We can work something out, just give me a few turnips or whatever and I'll be happy.

OK, you dont want the garden nor the house.

I'll take the garden and I suppose ( under protest mind ) the house too.

Rent payable to yourself as landlord : 6 No. turnips and 6 No. Bramley apples per year. :D

• Advertisement

If you want to see something that approaches a modern day mansion look up Fingal planning ref F17A/0182

What is it - all i can find is a a load of text about it, just says permission to demolish one house and build another - no plans or artists impression or anything i can get a picture of what's proposed?

Was it ever built, permission was granted 3 years ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I would love it right now this minute . Bring my family all together as one household , room for us all and the kids would be all minded and play together .
    I wouldn’t have to stress about bubbles or essential care or anything else . Heaven

What is it - all i can find is a a load of text about it, just says permission to demolish one house and build another - no plans or artists impression or anything i can get a picture of what's proposed?

Was it ever built, permission was granted 3 years ago?

You need to

"Click here to view the documents related to this application in a new page" ( that hyperlink may not work - navigate to the application if it does not )

when you look it up on the Fingalcoco site. Plans, and much more available.

The build is taking place at the present

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I would love it right now this minute . Bring my family all together as one household , room for us all and the kids would be all minded and play together .
    I wouldn’t have to stress about bubbles or essential care or anything else . Heaven

I'd say there are lots of families that would like to do same.

Different strokes etc etc

( At least you wont be bidding against TM )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Was eyeing up this place

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/donabate/seafield-house-ballymadrough-donabate-dublin-2462867/

NDhjYjNjNDAwOWI1M2RmNmNkZWNiOWNhOWYwMWJjODUOBgCQ3I7GxTgVD6X8BV4IaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL21lZGlhbWFzdGVyLXMzZXUvMC8xLzAxYzFkMzkyMDY5NWY1NTdjNjgwNTBkNzA3ZDRlNzM3LmpwZ3x8fHx8fDEwNDV4NjAwfHx8fA==.jpg

Donabate is a bit far out though and my grass catcher on the lawn mower is too small.

If I won the euromillions Id move into a place like that in the morning though yeah.

See the old stately manors have some class and can be turned into museums or hotels, that one above is only gorge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

See the old stately manors have some class and can be turned into museums or hotels, that one above is only gorge

Assuming you'd won the Euromillions to live in a place like that theres loads you could do. Charity fundraisers, have loads of animals, big parties, weddings, small gigs, summer regattas, food festivals, water...errr.....sports, posh B&B.

Also I assume it has a Batcave somewhere.....

Looks like Ill be doing the Euromillions this week so. Worth the few quid for the fantasy before the inevitable disappointment of not a single number.

The Nal wrote: »
    Assuming you'd won the Euromillions to live in a place like that theres loads you could do. Charity fundraisers, have loads of animals, big parties, weddings, small gigs, summer regattas, food festivals, water...errr.....sports, posh B&B.

Also I assume it has a Batcave somewhere.....

Looks like Ill be doing the Euromillions this week so. Worth the few quid for the fantasy before the inevitable disappointment of not a single number.

The Nal isn't just a town in North County Dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

we burned alot of them down during the war of independence, a bit of a shame, should have just kicked the brits out, took back the land and squatted in the houses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

I would definitely live in a mansion the one in donabate would be just grand, thank you for asking, are you offering?
    Once I didn't have to clean any part of it, yea I'd be grand and could socially distance from himself as well.
    I'd change the decor though, IKEA is nearby.
    ho hum, may start doing the euromillions. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bocaman

Imagine the upkeep. Not necessarily to be honest. A medium sized house on its own land would suit me. Away from people and with no next door neighbours.

You need to

"Click here to view the documents related to this application in a new page" ( that hyperlink may not work - navigate to the application if it does not )

when you look it up on the Fingalcoco site. Plans, and much more available.

The build is taking place at the present

That's some house alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Not a tree or shrub plated on this huge site, shows you the kind of muck savage that lives there. no appreciation for nature.

Not a single bookshelf inside the house either. Plenty of televisions around the place and a few Rachel Allen books decorating the kitchen. Who lives in a house like this? Someone who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing, that's who. Built in 2008 too. Ouch.

I'd've no interest in living in a mansion. Currently saving like a bastard, in the hope of being able to afford to get a mortgage on a two-up-two-down ex-council house in a non-leafy and hopefully not-too-stabby area of Dublin in a couple of years. As long as it's comfortable and there's room to plant a maple tree in the garden, I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

gourcuff wrote: »
    we burned alot of them down during the war of independence, a bit of a shame, should have just kicked the brits out, took back the land and squatted in the houses.

Sad but most of them would still just be rotting ruins today even if they werent destroyed. So many at risk mansions on the verge of collapse across the country that groups like An Taisce regularly report are in urgent need of saviour. It's expensive and the market for luxury rural hotels has a limit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

I live out the country, in a relatively big house (not as big as in op, but not far off) with a large lawn, with no next door neighbours, 15 minute walk to nearest shop in small town, and 15 minute drive from nearest big town. I have a tiny mortgage as I built the house myself.

I wouldn't swap it for a detached house in a housing estate in the middle of Dublin (I have lived in Dublin) under any conditions. Nevermind having to take out a 350-400k mortgage to do so.

I really dont get the majority of the people on this thread, are you really telling me you would not like more space, both inside and out given the option?

Kids have loads of room to play, bring their friends over
    I have room to build a massive shed with workshop and gym for motorbikes and other hobbies
    No fear of the council buying a house in the estate and moving in neighbour's from hell
    Can play music as loud as I want at all times of day and night without neighbour's complaining
    Still within walking distance of shop and pub
    And all for a fraction of the price of a semi-D half the size of my shed in an estate in a city?

To me it's a no brainer

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

**** me, but I'd go for it and redesign it to my own taste. Maybe I'm to simplistic, but I don't see the issue...

It's a fine house if you can afford to maintain and heat it.

rustynutz wrote: »
    I wouldn't swap it for a detached house in a housing estate in the middle of Dublin (I have lived in Dublin) under any conditions. Nevermind having to take out a 350-400k mortgage to do so.

I really dont get the majority of the people on this thread, are you really telling me you would not like more space, both inside and out given the option?

It's a small enough country that I can go to the countryside and enjoy wide open spaces whenever I want. I've lived in the middle of nowhere, no neighbours, no traffic, no shops, no public transport. I didn't dislike it, but I prefer urban/suburban life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

theteal wrote: »
    How can a house that big only have 4 bedrooms??? My 4 bed house is probably less than half the size.

I have this possibly weird, dislike for wasted space. If a room is way bigger than it needs to be I feel uncomfortable. I hate large bedrooms (possibly a consequence of growing up in a 1950s box room) like the one pictured. That kitchen isn't a bad size but the styling wouldn't be to my taste.

I agree. My friend Leslie has a lovely house in Stockton Heath in Cheshire. It's not big, 2 bedrooms, redbrick and beautifully laid out. But the bathroom is fcuking massive. Bigger than each of the bedrooms. You've got a a shower unit, a free standing bath, sink vanity by the window and of course the jacks-bowl. And there's still about 9 sq metres of wooden floor space. Many a time I've sat on the pot in that bathroom and felt like I was taking a pony and trap in a public lobby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

gourcuff wrote: »

They were worried that they might return (not totally unfounded until the fifties)

Strumms wrote: »
    Exactly If you have staff which you could do if you could afford that gaff then you wouldn’t have to lift a finger.

I’d just have them in on say Mondays and Thursday to do a deep clean inside... it’s happy days. Everything else and in between I’d do...

Garden I’d take care of myself, ride on mower. Kill an hour.

"Afford that gaff"? It's 600k not 6 million. Most 3 and 4 beds in ok areas of Dublin go for close to that price and they're not being bought by people on 7 figure salaries. It's not a kip but it's nothing special. Bland is a word on here that sums it up. And it's in South Cork so you can enjoy sitting by the window from October to April staring out at the pelting rain. "Oh, here's the drenched postman. Second time this week. What a result! Will u come in for a tae, Fiachra?" "I won't, bai." "Ah will u SHTOP, you're perished but sure tisn't as bad a yesterday".

In a place like that you have to drive fucking everywhere. So going for pints is a non-starter. And if you've got kids they have to be driven everywhere too. It's not a farm so the sprogs don't have the joy of playing with calves and chickens and climbing hay-bales and learning farming skills like driving a tractor or helping out with the milking or whatnot. When they hit their teen years what are they going to do in a place like that? Playstation?

Nightmare.

Anyway I do live in a mansion.......a FATIMA MANSION :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

"Afford that gaff"? It's 600k not 6 million. Most 3 and 4 beds in ok areas of Dublin go for close to that price and they're not being bought by people on 7 figure salaries. It's not a kip but it's nothing special. Bland is a word on here that sums it up. And it's in South Cork so you can enjoy sitting by the window from October to April staring out at the pelting rain. "Oh, here's the drenched postman. Second time this week. What a result! Will u come in for a tae, Fiachra?" "I won't, bai." "Ah will u SHTOP, you're perished but sure tisn't as bad a yesterday".

In a place like that you have to drive fucking everywhere. So going for pints is a non-starter. And if you've got kids they have to be driven everywhere too. It's not a farm so the sprogs don't have the joy of playing with calves and chickens and climbing hay-bales and learning farming skills like driving a tractor or helping out with the milking or whatnot. When they hit their teen years what are they going to do in a place like that? Playstation?

Nightmare.

Anyway I do live in a mansion.......a FATIMA MANSION :pac:

It's in East Cork, between Midleton and Rathcormac, and a lot you know about it, biy. :p

I'm not spiteful, jealous or in anyway begrudging. I own a 800k apartment in Amsterdam on a canal. I could afford that "mansion" in a minute. So you can bin your jealousy and begrudgery drivel. I don't like it one bit. Your problem is that you have to aspire to wealth no matter how classless and distasteful it is and anyone who has a contrary opinion is a "begrudger". You also go for the lame worn out binary scenario whereby if you don't like this obscene box then the only other option is living in a tent.

Please.

...if you don't like this obscene box....

Oh come on, at worst it's a bland farmhouse-style effort with too much lawn. But "obscene"?? :pac:

jimgoose wrote: »
    It's in East Cork, between Midleton and Rathcormac, and a lot you know about it, biy. :p

Ah bollocks man, Midleton, Youghal, Cobh etc they're all on the South Coast. I know Caark well. I would classify Charleville, Mitchelstown et al as NORTH Cork.

• Advertisement

Ah bollocks man, Midleton, Youghal, Cobh etc they're all on the South Coast. I know Caark well. I would classify Charleville, Mitchelstown et al as NORTH Cork.

You evidently have no idea where Lisgoold is. Man. :D

I was once having lunch in Patrick Guilbaud and you were having dinner with your wife and daughter on a nearby table. Your daughter is quite attractive, could you put in a word for me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I'm not spiteful, jealous or in anyway begrudging. I own a 800k apartment in Amsterdam on a canal. I could afford that "mansion" in a minute....

Please.

Is that what you say to all the boys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

That's not exactly a "mansion".

I think Mansions by definition start around 10,000 Ft?? I could be wrong. That is an average size family home where I live..;)

PLUS...0.7 acres???? Ahhhhh heyar ya want a little privacy... something like 20 acres would be needed.

"You're only jealous" is such a lazy argument. I can understand why someone would want that space, and also the luxury of being able to choose which toilet to take a crap in. Although I'd say it gets confusing if you happen to be in a room which is equidistant between two bathrooms when the need arises. But I find that particular house very ugly and quite typical of an era best forgotten.

• Advertisement
Advertisement