Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earth in hotpress

Options
  • 19-10-2020 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭

Earth wire is connected to the cold water feed coming from the attic tank and then continued over to the copper pipe on the right which is an ensuite feed.

I'm installing a new hwc and was hoping to use pvc piping to continue the cold feed to the cylinder but am I better using copper so that the earth is bonded to the cylinder?

0LcEdO3l.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

dudeeile wrote: »
    Earth wire is connected to the cold water feed coming from the attic tank and then continued over to the copper pipe on the right which is an ensuite feed.

I'm installing a new hwc and was hoping to use pvc piping to continue the cold feed to the cylinder but am I better using copper so that the earth is bonded to the cylinder?

0LcEdO3l.jpg

You can just add 10mm earth to the last bonding clip and connect a new bonding clip to the cylinder. Use a small bit of copper pipe to the cylinder to get a good connection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Probably better having copper pipes as the connection to hw cylinders anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭JimToken

Realistically all you have there is probably a few pieces of copper and the main metallic services are in plastic.

Good read on the theory below
    https://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-matters/years/2019/75-may-2019/to-bond-or-not-to-bond/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,105 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

From a plumbing point of view, qualpex is fine feeding cold to bottom of the cylinder but never off the top of the cylinder. If the thermostat failed then the qualpex off the top of the cylinder would melt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

More from a morality view:D

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    From a plumbing point of view, qualpex is fine feeding cold to bottom of the cylinder but never off the top of the cylinder. If the thermostat failed then the qualpex off the top of the cylinder would melt.

Has this actually happened

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

If the thermostat failed then the qualpex off the top of the cylinder would melt.

Really?
    Have you ever seen this?

Qualpex is rated for 92 Degrees C indefinitely and has a 114 Degree short term rating.

https://pdf4pro.com/amp/cdn/qual-pex-plumbing-amp-heating-pipe-pipelife-ie-2d695a.pdf

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,289 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

There have been cases of deaths from cylinder thermostats failing. This keeps boiling the water into the expansion vessel (open system) Because of the slight head, this water will be at least 100C (ignoring house height above sea level).

The instance I'm thinking of, was where the expansion (plastic) tank eventually softened enough to fail and dumped its boiling contents on the ceiling and then through it to a sleeping occupant below. Of course even then the boiling water continued to flow through the expansion pipe.
    Doesn't bear thinking about does it.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Wearb wrote: »
    There have been cases of deaths from cylinder thermostats failing. This keeps boiling the water into the expansion vessel (open system) Because of the slight head, this water will be at least 100C (ignoring house height above sea level).

The instance I'm thinking of, was where the expansion (plastic) tank eventually softened enough to fail and dumped its boiling contents on the ceiling and then through it to a sleeping occupant below. Of course even then the boiling water continued to flow through the expansion pipe.
    Doesn't bear thinking about does it.

Lol sounds like something out of a horror movie

That could have been part.of the reasoning for the reset buttons, I thought it was mainly down to thermostat failure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

meercat wrote: »
    You can just add 10mm earth to the last bonding clip and connect a new bonding clip to the cylinder. Use a small bit of copper pipe to the cylinder to get a good connection

Okay got that. Ideally I would like to remove the copper feed you see on the left and the attached earthing, add in a new valve then qualpex down to the cylinder, I can add a few inches of copper off the cylinder and just connect the earth up to that. Am I making sense?

I'd like to avoid burning my house down while at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,105 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

JimToken wrote:
    Has this actually happened

2011 wrote:
    Really? Have you ever seen this?

Yes. It's against building regulations (AFAIK) and against the manifacturer specifications for its product. You can never use qualpex on the flow & return right at gas or oil boiler either.

Yes. It's against building regulations (AFAIK) and against the manifacturer specifications for its product. You can never use qualpex on the flow & return right at gas or oil boiler either.

You're probably right

The boiler is more obvious

Advertisement