Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breeding puppies

Options
  • 19-10-2020 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi there,

i have a lovely king charles who would have gorgeous puppies.

Looking for advice on the breeding process?

Cheers,

Jean
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Have you performed all health related breed appropriate checks on her yet? Have you got a line to show that she's worth breeding from? Or are you simply thinking that she's a good one to breed because you like her? Because in the second case you're not ready to breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

You will find out that there are many people that will have an opinion on this.
    Not all will be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

what’s your motive for doing so? Thinking it would make lovely puppies isn’t enough to put your wee dog through pregnancy, possibly, passing on degenerative disease that still to this day plague the breed.

bearbear1 wrote: »
    Hi there,

i have a lovely king charles who would have gorgeous puppies.

Looking for advice on the breeding process?

Cheers,

Jean

Is it a male or female?
    Have you looked into all expenses, if female?
    Stud fee
    Inoculations, flea and worm treatment
    Whelping area
    Possibility of a Caesarian section
    Vaccinations, microchipping, registering with IKC, worming, other veterinary expenses

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

You need to contact the Breed Club. Get a list of the health testing that needs to be done. This is not a vet check up. There are lots of tests for Cavaliers. I'm presuming you have a bitch, if it is a dog than you will find it is the bitch owners that approach you & unless they are back yard breeders, then the dog needs to be a stunning example of the breed to have any interest.

Your bitch needs to have a super temperament & fairly correct conformation. She should be at least 18 months & under 4 for a first litter, preferably about 2 years old.

At present there are a lot of greedy people looking to get hold of bitch puppies to be used as money machines. They will lie & present themselves as great homes.

You will have to pay a decent stud fee for a quality dog who will also be health tested. The Breed Club might be able to help.

There will also be vet costs, vaccines, worming, possible C Section fees which are usually out of hours & not your usual vet - often about 1K, whelping supplies, puppy pen, decent food, registrations, puppy packs.

A good bible to get is 'The Book of the Bitch' - Lots of useful information.

Those thinking they can make money might be in for a shock if they do it right & don't charge the crazy prices for basically pet quality puppies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Hi OP,

First off well done for asking for opinions and advice before doing something silly.

Can you answer the following questions please.

What age and sex is your dog?
    How old is your dog?
    Is your dog IKC registered?
    Has a breed expert looked at your dog and what did they say? (This is usually done by entering IKC shows)
    Has your dog had the relevant health tests for the breed?
    What were the results of those tests?
    Are there endorsements on the dogs papers?
    Do you have a mentor to guide you through the process? (For a first timer this is often the person who bred your dog)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭salamiii

find out when she's in heat
    bring male fog around
    then bingo

salamiii wrote: »
    find out when she's in heat
    bring male fog around
    then bingo

This is the ‘something silly’ i mentioned in my previous post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Is it a male or female?
    Have you looked into all expenses, if female?
    Stud fee
    Inoculations, flea and worm treatment
    Whelping area
    Possibility of a Caesarian section
    Vaccinations, microchipping, registering with IKC, worming, other veterinary expenses

Wow you mention lots of stuff here but fail to mention the most important stuff .. Genetic health screening and testing for the dog .. not fees after the dog gives birth..

cocker5 wrote: »
    Wow you mention lots of stuff here but fail to mention the most important stuff .. Genetic health screening and testing for the dog .. not fees after the dog gives birth..

In my innocence, I’d assumed that was already done!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I really don't understand the mentality of people who look at their family pet and think "I should put her through a pregnancy".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

irish_goat wrote: »
    I really don't understand the mentality of people who look at their family pet and think "I should put her through a pregnancy".

There are lots of reasons. If no family pets were put through pregnancy, we would have no lovely dog breeds, working dogs etc but I get your sentiment. The average family pet should not be bred from.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bearbear1

Thanks all! She is two and a half. I have gotten the tests (per the vet's advice she needs) and they have all come back perfect.

Our vet said it is better for the dog to have a litter so this is also a reason why we are thinking of breeding her. I've had king charles all my life and she is a perfect example of the breed. She also told us to keep about €2,500 - €3,500 aside for unforeseen expenses (c section etc.) so costs have been taken into consideration.

We are not planning to breed her for money, we have brothers / sisters / parents who adore our dog and have all expressed interest in one of her puppies. She will have one litter and that's it.

Really my questioning was around the whole breeding process, if anyone has had any personal experiences that they may be able to share with me? :-).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

bearbear1 wrote: »
    Thanks all! She is two and a half. I have gotten the tests (per the vet's advice she needs) and they have all come back perfect.
    As a matter of interest... what tests? For what specific things?
    Our vet said it is better for the dog to have a litter so this is also a reason why we are thinking of breeding her.

Have you any idea what your vet is basing this on? I'm just curious, as you hear people saying it, but I've never found any research over the years to back it up! Maybe I've missed something somewhere, so perhaps your vet has the answer?!

DBB wrote: »
    As a matter of interest... what tests? For what specific things?

Have you any idea what your vet is basing this on? I'm just curious, as you hear people saying it, but I've never found any research over the years to back it up! Maybe I've missed something somewhere, so perhaps your vet has the answer?!

Was wondering the same thing as most vets I know say it can reduce the protection spaying has against certain cancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Change vets, good luck with the pups if she does have them

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Was wondering the same thing as most vets I know say it can reduce the protection spaying has against certain cancers.

The usual reason I've heard over the years is that it calms the bitch down, makes her gentler etc... but this is not the case in my experience at least, and there's no evidence to support that it does, outside of the period of time that momma dog is under the influence of the maternal hormones... once they've worn off, she returns to her normal self.

Have you not contacted the breeder you got your dog from? IMO this should be your first port of call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

I know a lot of Vets & not one of them would advise letting a bitch have a litter just for the sake of it. I would question your vet, sounds as if their advice is out of date to say the least and would say if your family & friends want a dog, then refer them to the breeder, as long as they are ethical & reputable.

Advertisement