Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Let's see in 2 weeks so ....

Quit your scaremongering, these are case numbers, the vast majority of these people will barely feel it.
    pjohnson wrote: »
    Do some genuinely think 'scaremongering' is a new word for facts?

Facts, what facts point out that in 2 weeks hospitals would be overwhelmed. We were told 2 weeks ago Belgium would be overwhelmed, we were told we were on the verge here but Leo said yesterday hospital's have never been quiter. Every 2 weeks we are told some country is 2 weeks from being overwhelmed. Nobody belives it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭manniot2

They possible deserve their own thread on the matter.

More sidelining and silencing proposed here. Sorry to break it to the Tony lovers but he was front and centre of that scandal and will be in any tribunal that is allowed the appropriate remit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Do some genuinely think 'scaremongering' is a new word for facts?

The facts here are cases, which vast majority are mild or asymptomatic.
    So yes, the conclusions he is trying to draw are scare mongering, let's see the facts in 2 weeks so if he says hospitals will be completely overwhelmed and deaths through the roof.

Bookmark it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

screamer wrote: »
    Regardless of your feelings towards “the mob” heads needs to roll over that disgraceful situation. Time will tell whose heads roll, but those women and indeed the women of Ireland deserve better.

It needs to be discussed on its own if so.

We have a global pandemic and I'm tired at sniping at random medical experts.

Im not listening to that idiot because cervical check. It's kind of irrelevant to coronavirus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Sheepdish1 wrote: »
    In particular children’s shoes should be deemed as essential. I feel they are essential particularly for children at the stage where they are growing at a fast rate eg age 1-5 years. They can go up a size in the space of a few weeks. It’s one thing them wearing clothes too small but wearing shoes too small can be harmful to feet .

I’m surprised that certain clothing eg coats and shoes haven’t been deemed as essential this time around. It can be argued they can be bought on line but it’s important shoes are tried on to check size fits. It really is bizarre. It seems some retail shops have had enough and are offering click and collect as opposed to closing down completely. The shops that are on street entrances as opposed to shopping centres can hopefully do this.

I thought the reason we opened up so slow was to determine the “safe services” that didn’t cause increase in cases. I don’t understand why retail has been closed this time around. Perhaps they are trying to keep people from leaving their areas? It doesn’t make sense as to why we opened up so slow and not use the experience and data. Retailers overall did a fantastic job from what I saw. Same as barbers etc.

I'm fairly certain in both Tesco and Dunnes where I live the children's clothes section and underwear/socks/pyjamas were not cordoned off, as they were deemed essential items.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

manniot2 wrote: »
    More sidelining and silencing proposed here. Sorry to break it to the Tony lovers but he was front and centre of that scandal and will be in any tribunal that is allowed the appropriate remit

I really hope it all comes out in the wash

Some neck being in front of our screens all year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

niallo27 wrote: »
    Facts, what facts point out that in 2 weeks hospitals would be overwhelmed. We were told 2 weeks ago Belgium would be overwhelmed, we were told we were on the verge here but Leo said yesterday hospital's have never been quiter. Every 2 weeks we are told some country is 2 weeks from being overwhelmed. Nobody belives it anymore.

Belgium is experiencing a shortage of key workers including medical staff as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

manniot2 wrote: »

Ehhh more to do with how forums/threads work re. topic/content. But trying to use the cervical scandal solely as a stick to beat Tony with, burying the convo deep in covid threads without actually giving a shîte about the scandal.

Not suprising given the true agenda some posters have. Its of no relevance to anything virus related which is "supposedly" what this thread is.

Belgium have essentially cancelled non covid care (with chemo dialysis and emergency treatment continuing).

No knee replacements, no hip replacements, no stents, no routine pacemakers, no mastectomy etc.

I think that's a pretty fair description of overwhelmed.

https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-54687096

"Not going to control pandemic" ... exactly, impossible in a country like the USA with few safety nets.

Imagine an American worker, option A : you chance getting a disease that you will 99.9% recover from, but you can feed your family and pay the mortgage and other bills ...

Option B: you are restricted, you lose your job and you have a 100% chance of losing your home, not being able to feed your kids etc ...
    Lots of Americans are one paycheque away from being on the street.

And then people sneer at these people and call them irresponsible, what would they do in their shoes ?

• Advertisement

Belgium have essentially cancelled non covid care (with chemo dialysis and emergency treatment continuing).

No knee replacements, no hip replacements, no stents, no routine pacemakers, no mastectomy etc.

I think that's a pretty fair description of overwhelmed.

I think people have different thoughts on overwhelmed, most compare it to what happened in Italy and not to a normal winter in Irish hospitals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I think people have different thoughts on overwhelmed, most compare it to what happened in Italy and not to a normal winter in Irish hospitals.

And what would you call Belgium?

OscarMIlde wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain in both Tesco and Dunnes where I live the children's clothes section and underwear/socks/pyjamas were not cordoned off, as they were deemed essential items.

A lot of Dunnes have closed elements of their shop over the weekend. In a shopping centre I visited on Saturday and Sunday stuff closed between my visits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

Europe is becoming overwhelmed and its not even November yet. This virus is absolutely relentless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

The HSE paid over €9 million to the company that supplied the hand sanitizers. No formal tender process took place.
    More ineptitude and waste.
    This is Paul Reid's patch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭prunudo

leanin2019 wrote: »
    "Silent majority" backs lockdown - Business Post

A "silent majority" of the population backs strict level 5 restrictions and the use of fines to stop the spread of the COVID-19 virus, the latest Business Post/Red C poll shows.

Some 66 percent of people support the move to lock down the country, with just 18 percent opposed. An equal number backs the use of fines...

In a follow up survey 66% of people are deemed to be 'I'm alright Jacks' with an inability to see things from other people's perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

I would have thought overwhelmed was a light word to describe Italy earlier in the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭Russman

prunudo wrote: »
    In a follow up survey 66% of people are deemed to be 'I'm alright Jacks' with an inability to see things from other people's perspective.

Couldn’t the same be said about the “let it rip and protect the vulnerable” mob ?

Ultimately everyone’s selfish.

The terms of reference given to nphet is to set out a level of restrictions that allows the HSE to keep non covid care functioning.

That means if there is discussion of Irish hospitals being overhwlemed it is in that context. Being unable to keep non covid treatment going.

Using that defininition Irish hospitals have on a regional basis been overwhelmed 3 times in recent weeks (Cavan Hospital, Cork University Hospital and Limerick University Hospital have at times over the last month had to cancel large numbers of non covid care).

Im sorry to say we aren't willing to let things get to Italian levels from March before considering ourselves overwhelmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Europe is becoming overwhelmed and its not even November yet. This virus is absolutely relentless

Carnage. Total carnage. I sincerely hope we have enough body bags to cope with the sheer carnage and the Death. It’s like living in the 1300s, the dark Spector of death is lurking around every corner. Waiting for us, creeping slowly towards us, waiting for us to slip up and go to a house party, or a slumber party, or any kind of party at all. If the virus doesn’t get us the Climate Emergency surely will. Our only hope now is Prince Charles.

• Advertisement

Russman wrote: »
    Couldn’t the same be said about the “let it rip and protect the vulnerable” mob ?

Ultimately everyone’s selfish.

I wouldn't say selfish, but ultimately in order to look after others we have to look after ourselves first. People who are able to contuine working, have a roof over their head, have a healthy bank balance etc will not be looking at the lockdown through the same eyes as someone who is about to loose their livelihoods or fearly of neing able to pay rent/bills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,834 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Early days but potentially good news here for vaccines working https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN27B0L7?__twitter_impression=true

Who the hell are they polling to come up with most people want lockdowns ???
    Obviously people not financially effected by this, but then again at the moment neither am I, in fact I save more and can work 100% from home, we took a cut over the worst of it , but are back to full hours now.

I would think most people would look at this from others point of view, I have friends in the restaurant trade and man my heart breaks for them - I'd give them charity if I could.

I wouldn't say selfish, but ultimately in other to look after others we have to look after ourselves first. People who are able to contuine working, have a roof over their head, have a healthy bank balance etc will not be looking at the lockdown through the same eyes as someone who is about to loose their livelihoods or fearly of neing able to pay rent/bills.

See my other post, some of us are unaffected financially but are sick of the lunacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

That's the aim but I couldn't see Tony Holohan & NPHET allowing level 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Obviously people not financially effected by this, but then again at the moment neither am I, in fact I save more and can work 100% from home, we took a cut over the worst of it , but are back to full hours now.

I would think most people would look at this from others point of view, I have friends in the restaurant trade and man my heart breaks for them - I'd give them charity if I could.

So you could, but you just don't want to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

And what would you call Belgium?

Has Leo followed up on his recommendation of the Belgian approach?

Crickets.

See my other post, some of us are unaffected financially but are sick of the lunacy.

I'm the same, know people who its impacting in varying ways, but non of them are happy with current restrictions, not sure where they find their sample demographic.

I wouldn't say selfish, but ultimately in other to look after others we have to look after ourselves first. People who are able to contuine working, have a roof over their head, have a healthy bank balance etc will not be looking at the lockdown through the same eyes as someone who is about to loose their livelihoods or fearly of neing able to pay rent/bills.

Totally agree. So where’s the balance or how do govt find the balance ? How many people is society willing to put at risk so bills can be paid ? How many jobs losses will society accept to keep people safer ?

They’ve only got sh1t choices or even sh1tter choices and none of it is fair. But that’s the hand the world has been dealt in 2020, a one in a hundred year event that nobody knows how to handle. Personally, looking around Europe, I think we’ve broadly got it right. Certainly more right than wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I would love to do a christmas hamper for someone who has lost their job .I have no idea how to go about it but will have a think

The terms of reference given to nphet is to set out a level of restrictions that allows the HSE to keep non covid care functioning.

That means if there is discussion of Irish hospitals being overhwlemed it is in that context. Being unable to keep non covid treatment going.

Using that defininition Irish hospitals have on a regional basis been overwhelmed 3 times in recent weeks (Cavan Hospital, Cork University Hospital and Limerick University Hospital have at times over the last month had to cancel large numbers of non covid care).

Im sorry to say we aren't willing to let things get to Italian levels from March before considering ourselves overwhelmed.

Without being smart but haven't Irish hospitals been overwhelmed constantly for the last 20 years if that's the case. We should be well prepared for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

OscarMIlde wrote: »

My local Tesco are selling socks and underwear

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭rooney30

Chech republic and Belgium , are experiencing some difficulties but coping . The rest of Europe are managing albeit with massive cases numbers , deaths are still a fraction of what they were . It seems that they are actually trying to live with the virus whereas we just say we are . A bit of perspective please .

I'm the same, know people who its impacting in varying ways, but non of them are happy with current restrictions, not sure where they find their sample demographic.

I’d say we all know people badly impacted by the restrictions. One girl I know had to close her business last week for the second time this year. Nobody anywhere is happy with the restrictions but that doesn’t necessarily mean they’re not the right thing to do. Nolan said it last week at one of the press conferences, it’s simply just not possible to protect one segment of society.
    I mean, yeah we could carry on at L2/3 but eventually hospitals would fill and/or suffer staff shortages through illness. Teachers would be off in increasing numbers etc etc. with the knock on effects. I think it’s arguably better to do it in a semi planned way rather than roll the dice and see how it plays out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

rooney30 wrote: »
    Chech republic and Belgium , are experiencing some difficulties but coping . The rest of Europe are managing albeit with massive cases numbers , deaths are still a fraction of what they were . It seems that they are actually trying to live with the virus whereas we just say we are . A bit of perspective please .

My workmate in Germany says once his local area hits 50 per 100k they will be in status red lockdown, which is pretty much the same as our level 5... Maybe even a little stricter.

• Advertisement

Totally agree. So where’s the balance or how do govt find the balance ? How many people is society willing to put at risk so bills can be paid ? How many jobs losses will society accept to keep people safer ?

They’ve only got sh1t choices or even sh1tter choices and none of it is fair. But that’s the hand the world has been dealt in 2020, a one in a hundred year event that nobody knows how to handle. Personally, looking around Europe, I think we’ve broadly got it right. Certainly more right than wrong.

For me a more balanced approach would be not to close retail or businesses that have been abiding by guidelines and not none cause of spread. But you're right its not easy to get it right given the challenges that are out there. Still feels like they've reverted to using a sledgehammer to crack a nut though.

Boggles wrote: »
    So you could, but you just don't want to?

Kind of need it for myself to be perfectly honest!

For me a more balanced approach would be not to close retail or businesses that have been abiding by guidelines and not none cause of spread. But you're right its not easy to get it right given the challenges that are out there. Still feels like they've reverted to using a sledgehammer to crack a nut though.

It’s a nut now but when it becomes a boulder it’d be a lot harder, but I see your point. I doubt there was much spread in, say, hairdressers where everyone had all the gear on.
    Which sort of brings us back to the alleged elephant in the room, where, in fact, is the virus spreading ? Is it the schools ? Then again, NPHETs remit is to keep schools open (I think) so there was a choice to be made I guess - Retail or schools.
    If it’s spreading everywhere because people have become complacent and don’t give a phuck anymore, then L5 was probably the right thing to do to try bring everyone back to their senses.
    Probably a bit of “lads we can do this the hard way (L5) or the easy way (L2), ye decide”

I was coming home from tennis the other night, walking across the street from Vall D' Hebron hospital - there is sports pavillion there, and it has been kitted out as a temp hospital, full of beds - but as of a few nights ago was empty.

Let's see if they need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Some very good news about the Oxford Vaccine with plans for rolling it out to the front line staff in the UK from as early as Nov. 2. That's next weeks. That's some good news. Fingers crossed there will be a vaccine after Christmas.

The Oxford vaccine is a 2 shot dose with 28 days in between. What happens if someone becomes exposed to the virus within that time? I suspect they are not fully protected with the vaccine until the second dose is administered and then it will probably be another while after the second dose is administered before people are protected.

It's all good news.

• Advertisement

I was coming home from tennis the other night, walking across the street from Vall D' Hebron hospital - there is sports pavillion there, and it has been kitted out as a temp hospital, full of beds - but as of a few nights ago was empty.

Let's see if they need it.

In 2 weeks they will, we are 2 weeks away.

owlbethere wrote: »
    Some very good news about the Oxford Vaccine with plans for rolling it out to the front line staff in the UK from as early as Nov. 2. That's next weeks. That's some good news. Fingers crossed there will be a vaccine after Christmas.

The Oxford vaccine is a 2 shot dose with 28 days in between. What happens if someone becomes exposed to the virus within that time? I suspect they are not fully protected with the vaccine until the second dose is administered and then it will probably be another while after the second dose is administered before people are protected.

It's all good news.

It's good news for us, but bad news for the doom merchants... they'll be hoping it fails ...

It’s a nut now but when it becomes a boulder it’d be a lot harder, but I see your point. I doubt there was much spread in, say, hairdressers where everyone had all the gear on.
    Which sort of brings us back to the alleged elephant in the room, where, in fact, is the virus spreading ? Is it the schools ? Then again, NPHETs remit is to keep schools open (I think) so there was a choice to be made I guess - Retail or schools.
    If it’s spreading everywhere because people have become complacent and don’t give a phuck anymore, then L5 was probably the right thing to do to try bring everyone back to their senses.
    Probably a bit of “lads we can do this the hard way (L5) or the easy way (L2), ye decide”

A report put before stormont in the North suggested that hairdressing contributed 0.05 to the R number. That seems to be a tiny number but then you take 5 or 6 tiny things and suddenly its 0.3 or so and a massive impact.

In 2 weeks they will, we are 2 weeks away.

I'll be sure to have some matches then, I'll let you know ...

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Chicke

Just wondering how many of posters here have minimum/no exposure ie work from home and shop online and have no kids in school???

My situation
    Kids in school
    Husband works on site as essential
    I required to work on site as essential worker although could be done from home
    And I tend to go to shops to get food few times a week
    No discretionary social contacts and havent seen extended family in months as in different counties.

The only thing that can be stopped in going into shops to buy food(essential) but perhaps should be done on line.my understanding is little /low risk in short visits to shop but could be wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

It's good news for us, but bad news for the doom merchants... they'll be hoping it fails ...

Spot on for sure. They love the doom and gloom and would love to prolong it as much as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Chicke wrote: »
    Just wondering how many of posters here have minimum/no exposure ie work from home and shop online and have no kids in school???

My situation
    Kids in school
    Husband works on site as essential
    I required to work on site as essential worker although could be done from home
    And I tend to go to shops to get food few times a week
    No discretionary social contacts and havent seen extended family in months as in different counties.

The only thing that can be stopped in going into shops to buy food(essential) but perhaps should be done on line.my understanding is little /low risk in short visits to shop but could be wrong!

I'm in a similar situation. I was doing click & collect during the first lockdown but the supermarket is 30 miles away and you have to book a fortnight in advance so I don't think it's worth the effort for the minimal reduction in risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    That's the aim but I couldn't see Tony Holohan & NPHET allowing level 2

Correct

All dogs think they are Alphas until they meet a Wolf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

owlbethere wrote: »
    Spot on for sure. They love the doom and gloom and would love to prolong it as much as possible.

Who are these mystery covid-loving people that you and others obsess about?

I don't know a single person, online or real life, who want this prolonged.

I think you strange lot are projecting, and definitely the lady doth protest too much.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

prunudo wrote:

No what that survey says is outside the screaming on social media most people understand why these decisions are being made.

This is a fact some seem to fail to grasp that social media does not reflect normal life in any way shape or form - most people don't give a damn about the circular arguments or wailing of the few.

But yeah, let's insult a sizeable majority of citizens in the country, that's the way to make them consider your opinion as valid :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement