Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

owlbethere wrote: »
    Spot on for sure. They love the doom and gloom and would love to prolong it as much as possible.

No, they wouldn't. If there are any that would they have obviously something wrong in their thinking and probably need some help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Spot on for sure. They love the doom and gloom and would love to prolong it as much as possible.

Stop posting nonsense. These vaccines are on the way, and even if there are not there will be improvements in testing and treatment will sort this thing. The " doom merchants" are merely responsible people with a bit of patience who are willing to have a bit less for a few months to preserve people's health.
    Let's hope the callous and mé féiners are remembered when this is all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

:rolleyes:
    What an original observation
    You can smell the disappointment in the air on here of people disappointed with a good number.
    mloc123 wrote: »
    "Maybe I enjoy the misery..."

I get that vibe a lot on here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

It's good news for us, but bad news for the doom merchants... they'll be hoping it fails ...

Some people just want to see the world burn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Do you even realise how infantile that sounds?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

It's good news for us, but bad news for the doom merchants... they'll be hoping it fails ...

Who wants a vaccine to fail? Something seriously wrong with someone if they want a vaccine to fail and have this shít continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

After this lockdown and whenever they lift level 5, they will probably move us into a level 3 for December. It means many restaurants and cafes won't be allowed to have people and customers eating on their premises. No body will be allowed an indoor sit down meal in December. It will all be outside dining. Right in the middle of December and it will probably be applied right across the board, up and down the country all around. That's absolutely scandalous.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

Expect to see the schools being closed for the mid-term to feed in to the case numbers over the course of the next week or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Necro wrote: »
    No what that survey says is outside the screaming on social media most people understand why these decisions are being made.

This is a fact some seem to fail to grasp that social media does not reflect normal life in any way shape or form - most people don't give a damn about the circular arguments or wailing of the few.

But yeah, let's insult a sizeable majority of citizens in the country, that's the way to make them consider your opinion as valid :rolleyes:

It might go to prove that the media are doing their job and making us all terrified, as for social media, I feel the majority on there are screaming for a harsher lockdown and people are just getting on with things outside of it. You talk about the 66% and I think it would be fair to say most of them are not affected by the lockdown financially, does that mean because a majority are not affected we should ignore the rest of people who have been hit the hardest. Surveys like this proof people are selfish and only care about themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Sorry, but the situation is hopeless. What I am concentrating on now is the fact that the end is near for humanity if we don’t do everything the experts say. Watching RTE and all it’s warm and familiar faces, Ryan, Jedward, Uncle George, Twink, Dermot Bannon, yer wan on the news and all the rest is like one big long boring funeral, I feel like I have been standing in the back of a church since March, it’s like Brexit but more somber, pervasive and terrifying. Things are so bad nobody is even talking about the weather anymore.The rainbows take the edge off the catastrophe for me.

JP100 wrote: »
    Expect to see the schools being closed for the mid-term to feed in to the case numbers over the course of the next week or so.

Would take at least a week for that to show any benefits.

What about the mad rush at non essential retail in the few days leading up to Level 5 closures last week? Will this have an effect?

Read somewhere that some labs wouldn't be able to process tests this weekend. Might have an impact on daily case numbers.

Would it better to release numbers weekly rather than daily?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Paddygreen wrote: »
    Sorry, but the situation is hopeless. What I am concentrating on now is the fact that the end is near for humanity if we don’t do everything the experts say. Watching RTE and all it’s warm and familiar faces, Ryan, Jedward, Uncle George, Twink, Dermot Bannon, yer wan on the news and all the rest is like one big long boring funeral, I feel like I have been standing in the back of a church since March, it’s like Brexit but more somber, pervasive and terrifying. Things are so bad nobody is even talking about the weather anymore.The rainbows take the edge off the catastrophe for me.

Stay safe Paddy!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

It's just that we don't want our chickens to hatch in one basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Field hospital has opened in Prague for overflow according to BBC news. Will be interesting to see if it's used or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

leanin2019 wrote: »

What about the mad rush at non essential retail in the few days leading up to Level 5 closures last week? Will this have an effect?

Read somewhere that some labs wouldn't be able to process tests this weekend. Might have an impact on daily case numbers.

Once a week! How can the likes of Niallo be terrified everyday then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭prunudo

Paddygreen wrote: »

Great song

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

After this lockdown and whenever they lift level 5, they will probably move us into a level 3 for December. It means many restaurants and cafes won't be allowed to have people and customers eating on their premises. No body will be allowed an indoor sit down meal in December. It will all be outside dining. Right in the middle of December and it will probably be applied right across the board, up and down the country all around. That's absolutely scandalous.

Level 2 according to "government sources" this morning.

Looks like it'll be solely a government decsion

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brookers

Wonder what way the ski resorts will operate. Be hard with the sharing of equipment, lifts, cable cars, gondolas etc, wonder will people from other european countries still go, will they be allowed go across borders driving etc, it is a huge thing in schools also. Saunas, swimming pools are other relaxing elements of skiing too will be affected. I just cant imagine it all.....It wont worry us anyway as we dont have the money to go but just thinking how covid will have a huge impact on it. Cant see restaurants opening at christmas either, personally would love a good old night out with a few friends dining in a buzzy spot but cant see that happening either. If anybody had told me this a year ago i would have said they were nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Blondini wrote: »
    Who are these mystery covid-loving people that you and others obsess about?

I don't know a single person, online or real life, who want this prolonged.

I think you strange lot are projecting, and definitely the lady doth protest too much.

The people who spout soundbites about "covid lovers" "misery merchants" "doom/scare mongers" etc. are often the very ones who want to keep doing the very behaviour that causes it to be prolonged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Micheal said in the press conference announcing Level 5 that the move would be back to Level 3.

Wonder who is the ‘Government source’. Probably doesn’t take much figuring out tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭prunudo

brookers wrote: »
    Wonder what way the ski resorts will operate. Be hard with the sharing of equipment, lifts, cable cars, gondolas etc, wonder will people from other european countries still go, will they be allowed go across borders driving etc, it is a huge thing in schools also. Saunas, swimming pools are other relaxing elements of skiing too will be affected. I just cant imagine it all.....It wont worry us anyway as we dont have the money to go but just thinking how covid will have a huge impact on it. Cant see restaurants opening at christmas either, personally would love a good old night out with a few friends dining in a buzzy spot but cant see that happening either. If anybody had told me this a year ago i would have said they were nuts.

Can't imagine social distanced apres ski will be much fun either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

do I detect some cynicism in your post? how likely do you reckon jumping to L2 when we seen what happened with pubs through July and August?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Do you even realise how infantile that sounds?

Kermit was certainly giddy with excitement when he saw the US numbers and hospitalisations rise. "Strap yourselves in".

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Field hospital has opened in Prague for overflow according to BBC news. Will be interesting to see if it's used or not

They have also opened a field hospital in Wisconsin following a large spike in cases.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-wisconsin-idUSKBN26S33U

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Benimar wrote: »
    Micheal said in the press conference announcing Level 5 that the move would be back to Level 3.

Wonder who is the ‘Government source’. Probably doesn’t take much figuring out tbh.
    There are quite a few of them who are not keen on this, across both parties. It could also be filtering through from public and private advisors. At the moment it looks like a kite but one they really hope will come good because Level 3 is of no great use for movement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

I'll believe that when I see it but I hope I'm wrong

Can only imagine the media if NPHET don't recommend level 2

NPHET are far too risk adverse to go from level 5 to 2

mandrake04 wrote: »
    do I detect some cynicism in your post? how likely do you reckon jumping to L2 when we seen what happened with pubs through July and August?
    For a 2-3 week period at Christmas, when L5 can be reapplied in the New Year they would gamble on it. They'll reason 2-3 weeks is not going to cause a huge surge especially if people are likely to be in the same social groups and not moving too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

is_that_so wrote: »
    There are quite a few of them who are not keen on this, across both parties. It could also be filtering through from public and private advisors. At the moment it looks like a kite but one they really hope will come good because Level 3 is of no great use for movement.

No, for a lot of the things that people really care about like religious services and indoor restaurants, level 3 is little different from level 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,843 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

GooglePlus wrote: »
    I'd say the hospitals would fill up quicker than ever if alcohol was banned with people from every walk of life suffering from withdrawals. There's plenty of highly functional alcoholics in our country but that's all dependent on them still getting to the supp.

Precisely. That’s why I’m against banning it. Pubs closed for sure. But zero wrong with say a stressed nurse or healthcare worker after a 12 hour shift, popping into the supermarket and grabbing food for the weekend plus a bottle of wine and or some beers. Or anybody for that matter, who just wants to chill with a glass or two of something.

• Advertisement

KrustyUCC wrote: »

NPHET will first have to convince people they are open to Level 3 on Dec 1 and not simply focused on data.

No cynicism, simply saying government sources.

Level 2 was also previsouly mentioned when level 5 was being brought in, level 3 for December then level 2 the week of Christmas.

Will it happen who knows, we certainly don't anyway. We just have to see how things are in a few weeks. I wouldn't be making any calls today as to what happens on 1st December or any later in December.

When we see what happened with pubs? Was in a few of them myself and nothing happened, all abiding by the rules, presume your referring to Berlin D2 but thats for another thread, namely the pub thread. Wouldn’t be tarring them all with the same brush. Would have no issue myself if they opened again, didn't feel unsafe anywhere I went to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

For a 2-3 week period at Christmas, when L5 can be reapplied in the New Year they would gamble on it. They'll reason 2-3 weeks is not going to cause a huge surge especially if people are likely to be in the same social groups and not moving too much.

Yeah thats true

I think they'll go level three from 1st - 15th

Then level 2 up to new year

KrustyUCC wrote: »

Yup likewise wouldn't be reading much into it.

We all know what government think of NPHET at this stage, wouldn't shock me if government rejected their recommendations again but we just have to wait and see really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Strumms wrote: »
    Precisely. That’s why I’m against banning it. Pubs closed for sure. But zero wrong with say a stressed nurse or healthcare worker after a 12 hour shift, popping into the supermarket and grabbing food for the weekend plus a bottle of wine and or some beers. Or anybody for that matter, who just wants to chill with a glass or two of something.

Alcohol - essential.
    Takeaways - essential.
    Clothes - non-essential.

What a country.

No, for a lot of the things that people really care about like religious services and indoor restaurants, level 3 is little different from level 5.

Its really not. Level 3 doesn't see religious services have any change from how they are now. You could go into a church yourself but everything else stays online apart from a funeral or a wedding, no change from how they are in L5.

L3 also doesn't see any indoor dining.

It essentially reopens retail

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/ad569-level-3/#religious-services

leanin2019 wrote: »

I firmly believe and despite the HSE massaging numbers in relation to schools, there's more cases and transmissions happening from schools than from people do their shopping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

No cynicism, simply saying government sources.

Level 2 was also previsouly mentioned when level 5 was being brought in, level 3 for December then level 2 the week of Christmas.

Will it happen who knows, we certainly don't anyway. We just have to see how things are in a few weeks. I wouldn't be making any calls today as to what happens on 1st December or any later in December.

When we see what happened with pubs? Was in a few of them myself and nothing happened, all abiding by the rules, presume your referring to Berlin D2 but thats for another thread, namely the pub thread. Wouldn’t be tarring them all with the same brush. Would have no issue myself if they opened again, didn't feel unsafe anywhere I went to.

I never mentioned behavior, I meant that some pubs never actually reopened as the reopening kept being delayed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Necro wrote: »
    No what that survey says is outside the screaming on social media most people understand why these decisions are being made.

This is a fact some seem to fail to grasp that social media does not reflect normal life in any way shape or form - most people don't give a damn about the circular arguments or wailing of the few.

But yeah, let's insult a sizeable majority of citizens in the country, that's the way to make them consider your opinion as valid :rolleyes:

The bit in bold is absolutely true, but it's also true to say that polls are also a poor reflection on the public view. There is a poster on this site who stated that he is on a list and is polled several times per week.

• Advertisement

I never mentioned behavior, I meant that some pubs never actually reopened as the reopening kept being delayed.

Well that was just a joke to be honest. Allowing them to get stock in and then continually pushing it out. No wonder publicans would be sceptical of anything government say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

pjohnson wrote: »
    The people who spout soundbites about "covid lovers" "misery merchants" "doom/scare mongers" etc. are often the very ones who want to keep doing the very behaviour that causes it to be prolonged.

Can you stop spouting this crap? Behaviour isn't prolonging this. This will last until and possibly after a vaccine regardless of behaviour. Stop clinging to the idea that if everyone was like you it would all be okay, it just wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

petes wrote: »
    No, they wouldn't. If there are any that would they have obviously something wrong in their thinking and probably need some help.

There is a reason why bad news sells and armageddon movies are so popular. We have been conditioned to seek out bad news.

polesheep wrote: »
    There is a reason why bad news sells and armageddon movies are so popular. We have been conditioned to seek out bad news.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20140728-why-is-all-the-news-bad

Will we be back at a high level again for Paddy's Day? Given the kind of day that's in it will the government feel compelled to have a strict lockdown again around Paddy's Day?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭gipi

My local has already decided that it won't open until next year, regardless of what level we might go to in December. The owner has said she won't risk ordering stock again only to find she can't open. She closed when we moved to L3 (too little outdoor space)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

AdamD wrote: »
    Can you stop spouting this crap? Behaviour isn't prolonging this. This will last until and possibly after a vaccine regardless of behaviour. Stop clinging to the idea that if everyone was like you it would all be okay, it just wouldn't.

Of course behaviour is prolonging this.

There are scientifically proven ways to mitigate viruses spreading and behaviour ignoring these will prolong restrictions.

The anti mask, anti sensible precaution brigade are the ones that will prolong this.

JP100 wrote: »
    I firmly believe and despite the HSE massaging numbers in relation to schools, there's more cases and transmissions happening from schools than from people do their shopping.

I tend to agree (individual cases and transmission are hard to track outside the household etc) but any reduction in numbers wouldn't show up till after the mid term is finish

Am I wrong to say that cases rose rapidly around the same time as when schools and also wet pubs opened nationwide?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,843 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

See my other post, some of us are unaffected financially but are sick of the lunacy.

I wouldn’t be too impacted financially.

The only lunacy I see is people wishing to ‘open up’ everything.

What happens to the health services, more importantly the people ‘of’ the health services when they become overwhelmed. Or I’ll, their families too.

I’d tell you what I’m doing if I’m a doctor in the mater or wherever... if I feel I’m not being backed up, be it by the public and or politicians... I’m at 12 hours out of a 12 hour shift... out of there, home to my family, nice dinner, bottle of wine, fûck them...

Here is an article re: hours being done by medical staff..

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/doctors-working-24-hour-shifts-during-covid-19-1012197.html

And WE can’t do our little bit, by adhering to restrictions, by keeping non essential businesses closed for a while longer ? Land of saints and scholars, right, covid has sure blown that one out of the water or although for many of us it didn’t exactly need to be... the evidence post Celtic Tiger ‘boom’ was certainly there for us to see.... ‘fûck everyone I’ll get mine’..... no greater evidence of that then covid times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

polesheep wrote: »

Makes sense as a survival strategy in simpler times.

Ugg hearing from his neighbours that a group of Sabre Toothed Cats have taken over near the river would be wise to find an alternative place to get his water.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement