Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭Field east

GT89 wrote: »
    Maybe his house caught fire and hence all his clothes were burned.

And nobody came to offer any kind of help, be it food clothes accommodation transport. When did we lose this kind Neighbour thing, the nation with one of the highest level of volunteering / helping our neighbour , etc etc. maybe it’s a family of a single parent, having no relatives and living on an island as sole occupants.!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

JP100 wrote: »
    Will we be back.in a lockdown for Paddy's Day. Giving the kind of day that's in it will the government feel compelled to have a strict lockdown again?!
    TBH I don't think we can guess at that until we see what NPHET does over this 6 weeks. Whenever we come out of it we'll have indicators as to what is considered Level 3. The government definitely don't want any more of these and IMO will hold firm against any data that is not looking like crippling the health system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

AdamD wrote: »
    Can you stop spouting this crap? Behaviour isn't prolonging this. This will last until and possibly after a vaccine regardless of behaviour. Stop clinging to the idea that if everyone was like you it would all be okay, it just wouldn't.

Interesting. So do you think people refusing to isolate while waiting for the test results/just refusing to even get tested has no impact on the spread of the virus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

My guess is that we'll get Level 3 Lite. So probably allowed travel between counties and maybe 3 households can gather but still restrictions on pubs and restaurants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

So Dunnes in Kilnamanagh have had to close the clothes shop part
    Wine and beer are deemed essential but not a warm hat for a baby or a pair of shoes for a child ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Of course behaviour is prolonging this.

There are scientifically proven ways to mitigate viruses spreading and behaviour ignoring these will prolong restrictions.

The anti mask, anti sensible precaution brigade are the ones that will prolong this.

Will the virus just disappear if people obey the rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

leanin2019 wrote: »
    I tend to agree (individual cases and transmission are hard to track outside the household etc) but any reduction in numbers wouldn't show up till after the mid term is finish

Am I wrong to say that cases rose rapidly around the same time as when schools and also wet pubs opened nationwide?

The real recent surge has definitely timed with schools returning but I would be hesitant to just simply throw in wet pubs as well. As it wasn't that difficult to get a drink before wet pubs came back on stream. People were drinking lots in pubs where food was supposedly being served with the food part then often being ignored. I know several pubs in rural areas where this craic went on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Wine and beer are deemed essential but not a warm hat for a baby or a pair of shoes for a child ?

You could buy a bag of chips from a takeaway and put it on the baby's head to keep them warm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Highest covid hospital numbers since May

344 in hospital
    39 in ICU

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1026/1173952-covid-hospital/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Dunnes moved all their baby clothes out of the clothes section and into the supermarket ;)

Really though the spirit of this is that "essential" are things you need to be able to buy on-demand and may not be able to wait for.

Clothing is essential, but it's never urgent. Dunnes can still sell clothes on a click-and-collect basis.

I appreciate why they're doing this, but really it only serves to make people even more irritated with the whole thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

pjohnson wrote: »
    Interesting. So do you think people refusing to isolate while waiting for the test results/just refusing to even get tested has no impact on the spread of the virus?

That's not what was said. You think that's prolonging it, it isn't. It might make it more widespread, but this isn't going to end sooner if more people isolate.

is_that_so wrote: »
    TBH I don't think we can guess at that until we see what NPHET does over this 6 weeks. Whenever we come out of it we'll have indicators as to what is considered Level 3. The government definitely don't want any more of these and IMO will hold firm against any data that is not looking like crippling the health system.

Obviously all dependent on numbers but it would be great I think for the national psyche and morale if the country could be somewhat open for our national holiday. Particularly after moving out of a tough winter and in to the spring-time again and the symbolism around all of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mr zulu

Blondini wrote: »

344 in hospital
    39 in ICU

And u wonder why people are calling the posts like this scare mongering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭bennyl10

mr zulu wrote: »

Fact is scare mongering?

344 in hospital
    39 in ICU

Very depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,006 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Scare mongering ? From what I can tell it’s just imparting facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

leanin2019 wrote: »

Am I wrong to say that cases rose rapidly around the same time as when schools and also wet pubs opened nationwide?

I would go so far as to admonish the damp pubs also. The substantial meals seemed to keep the virus from flourishing by providing just enough soakage to keep rambunctiousness at bay for the allowed time period. There were of course antisocial types, many of whom are super spreaders, who had several substantial meals in a row just so they could get absolutely steamed and make a show of themselves as they spread the virus.

No, if I ran around screaming "we are all going to die OMFG", that would be scare mongering.

Posting a news story from RTE is not.

Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mr zulu

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Fact is scare mongering?

Fact is if numbers dropped it woulnt be posted so fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

344 in hospital
    39 in ICU

I wouldn't be overly concerned. Bank holiday weekend. If a patient hasn't been discharged on a Friday, they're unlikely to be discharged until Tuesday unless their doctor is working the weekend.

Nevertheless even with dropping case numbers there is a stinging tail because it takes 2-4 weeks for ordinary symptoms to require hospitalisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

:rolleyes:

It probably would. There are certain things the media obsess about. That said the ICU numbers are moving up very slowly, that's a positive.

You claimed it was scaremongering, it plainly isn’t.

Information, good or bad is posted here in a relative manner to it being available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

robbiezero wrote: »

Well things definitely won't get worse if people obey the rules.

This is what obeying the rules gets you....

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1026/1173937-melbourne-restrictions/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

JP100 wrote: »
    Very depressing.

Yes, but there are grounds for optimism - this could be the peak of admissions - we often find admissions peak before cases begin to decline.
    Also less people seem to be succumbing to covid 19 than they were back in March.
    This is in part due to better treatment options now.

• Advertisement

Indeed 4 months of total lockdown in a Zero Covid strategy. The pity is if they get more cases they'll probably do exactly the same thing again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Depending on the situation, what you deem as non essential food items may well be essential to another family due to circumstances that you clearly know absolutely nothing about.

There are many children who through specific diagnosed medical conditions will only eat specific brands of some foods, and will end up hungry if those brands cannot be purchased. Some brands may not be tolerated due to additives contained in them, which may cause serious reactions to some people.

In the same vein, someone who is working in essential services may well require clothing items to replace items that have been contaminated or damaged at work and can no longer be worn. How do you suggest they should be dealt with?

My argument is purely hypothetical. I believe if the government deem clothes un essential then they too should deem alcohol and certain grocery items un essiential also. It proves the point that all items and all businesses are essential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

That's not what was said. You think that's prolonging it, it isn't. It might make it more widespread, but this isn't going to end sooner if more people isolate.

It might make it more widespread. But making it more widespread isn’t going to prolong it. Do I have that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,311 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

It probably would. There are certain things the media obsess about. That said the ICU numbers are moving up very slowly, that's a positive.

To be fair I didnt see any articles highlighting at the end of the week there how there was a few days where numbers were very stable and the first decrease 2 days in a row for a long time. I might be wrong and there was but didn't see any myself.

They do seem to be highlighting the positivity rate dropping for sure.

I spotted an article in the Independent yesterday having a go at George Lee, it was a bit petty but some stuff was fairly accurate.

Edit: here it is https://m.independent.ie/opinion/comment/trust-armageddon-george-to-amplify-nphets-message-39664387.html

GT89 wrote: »
    My argument is purely hypothetical. I believe if the government deem clothes un essential then they too should deem alcohol and certain grocery items un essiential also. It proves the point that all items and all businesses are essential.

You’d have a job convincing a judge of that. ;)

• Advertisement

Are you kidding me?

This thread is rightly optimistic every day here when the numbers are announced and there is any improvement in rates etc. It's always positive at that time of day if things seem to be heading in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Indeed 4 months of total lockdown in a Zero Covid strategy. The pity is if they get more cases they'll probably do exactly the same thing again.

And they will get more cases ...
    so then what ?

You get 4 months of lockdown if you obey the rules?
    Not great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

This thing is relentless and the trends are obvious. Unfortunately for EVERYONE the only proven thing that works is to try and keep people separate. Doubling time in Italy for all of these metrics is ~ 8 days.

Leo was dead wrong to say we should look at hospitalisations and ICU as primary metrics for our response. That may have been true if we can protect the vulnerable but we can't if there is community transmission and there is. There is a lag for sure but then it hits all at once.

Just to add our cases go up and down etc but follow a similar curve. We've added significant restrictions so we should be off the trajectory but people will say "see what was the point it didn't even go up". :rolleyes:

530661.png

530662.png

530663.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

This thing is relentless and the trends are obvious. Unfortunately for EVERYONE the only proven thing that works is to try and keep people separate. Doubling time in Italy for all of these metrics is ~ 8 days.

Leo was dead wrong to say we should look at hospitalisations and ICU as primary metrics for our response. That may have been true if we can protect the vulnerable but we can't if there is community transmission and there is. There is a lag for sure but then it hits all at once.

Just to add our cases go up and down etc but follow a similar curve. We've added significant restrictions so we should be off the trajectory but people will say "see what was the point it didn't even go up". :rolleyes:

530661.png

530662.png

530663.png

What does this have to do with us? They’re mutually exclusive.
    And some wonder why people on here hate scaremongering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Covid will exist until there is mass take up of a second generation vaccine.

Until that time restrictions will Co tinue by and large based on behaviour. Prolonging level 5 level 3 whatever levels is what people mena they talk about stuff being prolonged based on behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

seamus wrote: »
    I wouldn't be overly concerned. Bank holiday weekend. If a patient hasn't been discharged on a Friday, they're unlikely to be discharged until Tuesday unless their doctor is working the weekend.

Nevertheless even with dropping case numbers there is a stinging tail because it takes 2-4 weeks for ordinary symptoms to require hospitalisation.

You might be if you were one of them in hospital.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

530661.png

530662.png

530663.png

Restrictions wise we don't compare

Whats your point here?

Are you just determined to misery monger?

What does this have to do with us? They’re mutually exclusive.

So the cases are function of how the disease spreads and how we test, record and report. Italy's report is an order of magnitude better than ours.

The hospitalisations and icu are a function of cases.

The disease spreads the same the only difference is how we report.
    Now we've implemented restrictions.

We've had the same arguments throughout......

"What's the north got to do with us"
    "What's Dublin cases got to do with connaught etc"

Fairly myopic viewpoint that turned out to be a waste of characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭babyboom

I don't understand how people are not seeing the logic in shutting down non essential services, particularly clothes shops. My daughter works in a shopping centre. Once the clothes shops opened whole families were "browsing" for hours at the weekends. Kids running everywhere, touching everything. They weren't shopping for essential items, they were having a day out. Nothing wrong with that in normal times but this is not normal times. There are a few shops open that are pushing the definition of essential so volumes haven't dropped as much as the last time around. Encouraging people to pack into shopping centres is counter productive at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

So the cases are function of how the disease spreads and how we test, record and report. Italy's report is an order of magnitude better than ours.

The hospitalisations and icu are a function of cases.

The disease spreads the same the only difference is how we report.
    Now we've implemented restrictions.

We've had the same arguments throughout......

"What's the north got to do with us"
    "What's Dublin cases got to do with connaught etc"

Fairly myopic viewpoint that turned out to be a waste of characters.

Uhh okay, still don’t see why the numbers in ICU in Italy are relevant to Ireland, but whatever floats your boat I guess?

Stheno wrote: »
    Restrictions wise we don't compare

Whats your point here?

Are you just determined to misery monger?

No my point is that people don't think we need restrictions.
    Italy was doing great, now it's not.

Every country has different restrictions. Italy has had fines from the start. Masks must be worn outdoors. So some things stricter some not.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭manniot2

These Garda tweets showing them going into shops and blocking off the boxes of celebrations are such a fooking embarrassment to this country and a shameful use of resources. How can their commissioner stand over this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

babyboom wrote: »
    I don't understand how people are not seeing the logic in shutting down non essential services, particularly clothes shops. My daughter works in a shopping centre. Once the clothes shops opened whole families were "browsing" for hours at the weekends. Kids running everywhere, touching everything. They weren't shopping for essential items, they were having a day out. Nothing wrong with that in normal times but this is not normal times. There are a few shops open that are pushing the definition of essential so volumes haven't dropped as much as the last time around. Encouraging people to pack into shopping centres is counter productive at the moment.

Ice cream shops, pancake shops and sweets-only shops are open in Galway. All the coffee shops are open too but many were closed during the first lockdown. There are definitely way more shops open in shopping centres and a lot more footfall.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Uhh okay, still don’t see why the numbers in ICU in Italy are relevant to Ireland, but whatever floats your boat I guess?

Sorry yeah you are so right.

This disease is in fact nothing to worry about.

Cool carry on. Don't let me get in the way of your sugar coating.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,311 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Covid will exist until there is mass take up of a second generation vaccine.

Until that time restrictions will Co tinue by and large based on behaviour. Prolonging level 5 level 3 whatever levels is what people mena they talk about stuff being prolonged based on behaviour.

Covid will likely exist regardless, its going to be endemic. The actual virus that causes infection will exist unless there's immunity or eradication.

Once a vaccine comes available and distribution begins your likely to see restrictions eased over time(not instant, I'm talking over a period of 6 months+), they won't continue until a 2nd generation of vaccine. A vaccine that reduces illness is perfectly acceptable as it reduces pressure on health systems.

If you think restrictions continue long term once a number of vaccine are rolled out thats fine but its very far from reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

robbiezero wrote: »

Who mentioned the virus disappearing? We need to keep numbers as low as possible to mitigate the effects.

Personal responsibility is needed.

Not too hard to keep contacts to a minimum, wear a mask when you have to be close to people and wash/sanitise hands. If everyone did this we would not have needed to jump to crappy level 5. Anyone not following these need to wake up and stop moaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

*Fact is some people use this thread for posting actual facts in

*The fact is that currently the numbers are shìt. Thats not the fault of the poster.

*Another fact is that the same people DID post daily figures even when the numbers were low.

Just because actual facts dont support whatever fantasy alternative facts that makes people think everything is awesome does not mean that everyone actually using evidence is a "doom/fear/scare monger".

Some people want reality not fan fiction.

Covid will likely exist regardless, its going to be endemic.

Once a vaccine comes available and distribution begins your likely to see restrictions eased over time(not instant, I'm talking over a period of 6 months+), they won't continue until a 2nd generation of vaccine. A vaccine that reduces illness is perfectly acceptable as it reduces pressure on health systems.

If you think restrictions continue long term once a number of vaccine are rolled out thats fine but its very far from reality.

Id imagine some of those that are terrified of the virus will continue restricting themselves while there is any risk however tiny to them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

No my point is that people don't think we need restrictions.
    Italy was doing great, now it's not.

Every country has different restrictions. Italy has had fines from the start. Masks must be worn outdoors. So some things stricter some not.

I agree we need restrictions, but trying to compare Italy with here is not logical

I live in Dublin where wet pubs have been shut since March and we are in week six of level 3 then 5

Bars and restaurants are STILL open in Italy

Its apples and oranges tbh

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement