Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Hearing of lots of retail outlets that aren't closing

Is there some loophole ?

No loop hole, once they are selling essential products they have a right to stay open.
    Sensible decision by any business that hopes to survive and carry on providing badly needed employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Twink is an essential worker?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Qiaonasen

She's anything but i can assure you! She's playing the game of don't get too comfy working from home.

She needs a kick up the hole if she thinks work than can be done at home will be back in November.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Its unbelievable, have heard some absolutely mental calls. One recently rang up every 20 minutes to say there were 2 young lads out kicking a ball on the street and that it was causing anxiety as they're spreading the virus.

How on earth can you be going around dealing with that all day long

Yeah. I mean look whatever side of the restrictions imposed you're on here, it's nothing compared to the loop the loops actually making phone calls I can only imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

JimToken wrote: »
    Do we really need Holihan speaking

Surely he can advise the government and the government spoke to us last nite

Tony does what he wants when he wants. This is no longer about Covid .

• Advertisement

No loop hole, once they are selling essential products they have a right to stay open.
    Sensible decision by any business that hopes to survive and carrying on providing badly needed employment.
    So anyone could stick a box of little bottles hand sanitizer at the til and stay open?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭circadian

gmisk wrote: »
    Twink is an essential worker?

We all need her madness to make our own madness look normal. She's like a mascot for everyone that's losing their ****.

Sensible decision by any business that hopes to survive and carrying on providing badly needed employment.

Great news . I'd do exactly the same.

circadian wrote: »
    We all need her madness to make our own madness look normal. She's like a mascot for everyone that's losing their ****.
    Sure we have dee wall and GO'D for that lol

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Necro wrote: »
    Yeah. I mean look whatever side of the restrictions imposed you're on here, it's nothing compared to the loop the loops actually making phone calls I can only imagine.

Some of the stuff on here is tame compared to the nonsense they get.

A days rest he was saying is spending the day on a checkpoint, less hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Is it about pure power and subjecting the sons and daughters of eire.? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Fast Twitch

Qiaonasen wrote: »
    She needs a kick up the hole if she thinks work than can be done at home will be back in November.

I agree. Some sectors see themselves in a totally different light than others see them. It's librarianship. I'm one but don't consider libraries essential. 80% of my colleagues think they are essential to the mental health of the nation. Constant tweeting and facebook rubbish last lockdown. If you don't read you're in some way a cretin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Is there some loophole ?

Hearing the same. Some saying there is no legal position to close them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

So anyone could stick a box of little bottles hand sanitizer at the til and stay open?

Nah it's specifically defined on the gov.ie website.

For example Curry's will likely be staying open as they provide a repair service for electronics.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/60ecc-essential-retail-outlets-for-level-4/

(Also they need to update their hyperlink address as it's showing level 4 but it's actually level 5 LOL)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Is there some loophole ?

I think the main loop hole is that it doesn't start till tomorrow.

Nah it's specifically defined on the gov.ie website.

For example Curry's will likely be staying open as they provide a repair service for electronics.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/60ecc-essential-retail-outlets-for-level-4/

(Also they need to update their hyperlink address as it's showing level 4 but it's actually level 5 LOL)

Ha thats great. Every business could use that wording to their advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

First thing he said when he came back in the press conference was he Ioves his job and missed it.

Scratch beneath the surface of that if you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Here's the "loop hole" from Necro's link.

"any other retail outlet that operates an online or other remote system of ordering goods for purposes of collection at the retail outlet".

Non essential businesses can close their doors and operate a click and collect system if they can.

This was echoed by a commercial strategest from www.pto.ie on the news last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Golf courses for example being closed is just inept. I could understand blanket rules in March, but they've had months to come up with them now, golf has to be as safe an activity as they come.

Again the government wants to take everything away and not even promote safe alternatives. People won't just stop their lives indefinitely, not pushing people towards safer activities is completely ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Its harder to find a retail outlet actually closed than able to remain open one way or another. I don't have high hopes for this lockdown, we need to go all in ..aka a circuit breaker, this is just death by a 1000 cuts.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Or newspapers

Or newspapers

Newspapers is the simplest one to keep the doors open, you get partial credit on returns as well so it's an absolute no brainer if you're a business owner paying attention to the guidelines.

Supercell wrote: »
    Its harder to find a retail outlet actually closed than able to remain open one way or another. I don't have high hopes for this lockdown, we need to go all in ..aka a circuit breaker, this is just death by a 1000 cuts.

You financially secure, any worries about paying the mortgage or the rent?

Here's the "loop hole" from Necro's link.

"any other retail outlet that operates an online or other remote system of ordering goods for purposes of collection at the retail outlet".

Non essential businesses can close their doors and operate a click and collect system if they can.

This was echoed by a commercial strategest from www.pto.ie on the news last night.

That's exactly what our local menswear store is doing. Spent all summer getting their website up and running in case of a second (or third, fourth etc) closure.

Tbh I applaud the people who think outside the box like this so they still have some sort of viability.

Not always possible though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Supercell wrote: »
    Its harder to find a retail outlet actually closed than able to remain open one way or another..
    Nearly every retail shop in the city centre will be closed to the public - it's quite easy to find. The "click and collect" will only employ a small number of staff and probably not enough to keep the lights on, especially for something like a clothing store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭JimToken

Hearing the same. Some saying there is no legal position to close them.

Ya but they'll be inviting legislation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭maebee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

So what’s the weird time between 11:30pm and 11:59pm??

Business Time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

These stories about retailers saying they'll stay open, if they do they'll be just like that publican that tried to do the same and ended up serving for an hour or two and then closed after the Gardaí called in for a chat.

• Advertisement

Newspapers is the simplest one to keep the doors open, you get partial credit on returns as well so it's an absolute no brainer if you're a business owner paying attention to the guidelines.

I could only speak for what I have seen, the majority of businesses are following guidelines as are the majority of customers. Of course you have the dickhead elements. Far better for the lads and lasses in AGS to forget about pissing off motorists heading to work and take a wander around shopping areas and hand out fines the non wearing of masks which is mandatory on public transport and retail settings and dealing with rogue businesses.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement