Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

For what? Exactly. 100 cases a day will only rise again, especially with Christmas gatherings, and we will have another lockdown in February, which will be utterly destructive.

Maybe a late winter lockdown will be the end of it though, because then we'll be in the spring and summer, will be outside more, and then hopefully a vaccine for higher risk people. Maybe one more lockdown after this one is the best that we can hope for

What I dont understand is why we are trying to achieve this level of cases (which bring a miniscule death % attached) when it comes with such a cost. Surely any simple person capable of doing a cost benefit analysis can see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,374 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

is_that_so wrote: »
    Nothing in that suggests he is, just speaking honestly and factually. He's echoing the belief that the year is probably over for most people anyway.

add the impossible targets R number below .5 and cases below 100 no way will this lockdown be lifted after 6 weeks
    https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/ireland-restrictions-tony-holohan-reveals-19135457

theres no honesty at all form this government about what they want to achieve. at 100 cases a day we will be in lockdown in 4 weeks after opening up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Polar101

Stheno wrote: »
    What do they need three DCMOs for?

On any given day, 1-2 will be asked to resign on boards.ie, so they need a reserve of CMOs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I think this "lockdown" will be way way different to the last one.

- There's way less restrictions.
    - GAA and schools allowed open.
    - Construction open. FFS work being done in a home is allowed.

Last lockdown everyone was inside. This one there's going to be loads more activity. The kids will be out and about after school too.

And this is why it won't be effective, this plan is pointless, we'll be in and out of lockdowns for the foreseeable future. Just do it properly or come up with an alternative plan. This one will be pointless otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Fergal Bowers, as usual, offering some sensible thoughts.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1020/1172731-fergal-bowers-covid-19/

He's dour but his comments are well thought out and devoid of hyperbole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

They have an estimate of the number of cases missed. Serelogical studies in june give an idea of true case numbers prior to then.

It really doesn't, that study was fairly flawed to be honest. 5k invited and 5k didn't take part. Sample set in the end was absolutely tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

manniot2 wrote: »
    What I dont understand is why we are trying to achieve this level of cases (which bring a miniscule death % attached) when it comes with such a cost. Surely any simple person capable of doing a cost benefit analysis can see that.

Maybe because there are those of us who don't fancy taking our chances of being a part of that "miniscule death %", or the still fairly unknown long term effects of the virus?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

add the impossible targets R number below .5 and cases below 100 no way will this lockdown be lifted after 6 weeks
    https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/ireland-restrictions-tony-holohan-reveals-19135457

theres no honesty at all form this government about what they want to achieve. at 100 cases a day we will be in lockdown in 4 weeks after opening up
    Well, it's not their number it's NPHET's and even that is contingent. That the government ducked and dived on their to this juncture shows they aren't doing it willingly. If it is still going sideways or "not going the right way" in 3-4 weeks that is the time to honestly admit that Christmas is off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭quokula

Pretty much every government in Europe is on the road to implementing similar restrictions, and they're all being advised by people who are well capable of doing a cost benefit analysis and who have full access to the data. Which suggests you're incorrect.

I'm still amazed by how many people have such short memories that they can't remember the mass graves and the utter catastrophes that befell hospitals in places that didn't get the virus under control in time last time. The virus hasn't changed. We know what happens if we don't get it under control. Let's not let it get there.

nimrod86 wrote: »
    Maybe because there are those of us who don't fancy taking our chances of being a part of that "miniscule death %", or the still fairly unknown long term effects of the virus?
    For very many of us getting hit by a dozen buses is a much bigger possibility!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

quokula wrote: »
    Pretty much every government in Europe is on the road to implementing similar restrictions, and they're all being advised by people who are well capable of doing a cost benefit analysis and who have full access to the data. Which suggests you're incorrect.

I'm still amazed by how many people have such short memories that they can't remember the mass graves and the utter catastrophes that befell hospitals in places that didn't get the virus under control in time last time. The virus hasn't changed. We know what happens if we don't get it under control. Let's not let it get there.

What mass graves ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/covid19-daily-operations-update-2000-17-october-2020.pdf

Can anyone tell me how we had between 300-350 available general hospital beds in the first half of last week, raising to approx 370 on Friday, and then rising massively to 625 available beds on Saturday?

Where did all the bed occupiers go? Are they cancelling "elective" procedures again or god help us, moving old people back into nursing homes?

You can look for comparison purposes at all the data for last week here. https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/coronavirus-daily-operations-updates.html

The number I am talking about is on Page 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Government is a popularity contest and single healthy people with no dependents are in the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Hang on, I'll just get my human life cost calculator there and run the numbers real quick. Simple.

nthclare wrote: »
    What mass graves ?

The ones in New York, Brazil and Iran are the ones I know of.

What mass graves ?
    Brazil had them mostly and in Italy it was the army trucks. It's a logic device that is supposed to persuade us of something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

These businesses must be sick with worry! Another 10 weeks at least shut!
    How many will emerge....
    harrowing! Some amount of jobs and livelihoods down the drain!
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40067942.html?fbclid=IwAR2_7fREBAlmcv_VyCDpOHgwuZs_glTC2N3NSOnew8H0eEYXY82mzjyMvtY

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭zinfandel

US2 wrote: »
    Anyone know if you can claim PUP without proof of address ?

no, would be very open to fraud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The ones in New York, Brazil and Iran are the ones I know of.

A mass grave has existed on Hart's island in New York for centuries. That's where the indigent has always being buried.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Brazil had them mostly and in Italy it was the army trucks. It's a logic device that is supposed to persuade us of something.

I seen no international news about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

What places, I'm presume your talking about Italy which was before we knew anything about this virus. No country has been overwhelmed since we brought in restrictions.

niallo27 wrote: »
    What places, I'm presume your talking about Italy which was before we knew anything about this virus. No country has been overwhelmed since we brought in restrictions.

Exactly. No country has been overwhelmed since we brought in restrictions. Yet people are using this as an argument not to bring in restrictions. Can you not see how devoid of logic that is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

niallo27 wrote: »

And yet you argue day in day out against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Sakana

Gemma bullying an old guy on the street into taking his mask off.

How can this not be a Garda matter?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1318234233052237830

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

Santy2015 wrote: »
    These businesses must be sick with worry! Another 10 weeks at least shut!
    How many will emerge....
    harrowing! Some amount of jobs and livelihoods down the drain!
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40067942.html?fbclid=IwAR2_7fREBAlmcv_VyCDpOHgwuZs_glTC2N3NSOnew8H0eEYXY82mzjyMvtY

To put it bluntly, not many of the lockdown cheerleaders will care. Collateral damage for locking down. Stick them on the €350 and let them watch Netflix.

Just pictures mostly, the Brazilian ones pop up from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Seriously? It was all over the news at the time.

Kh1993 wrote: »
    To put it bluntly, not many of the lockdown cheerleaders will care. Collateral damage for locking down. Stick them on the €350 and let them watch Netflix.

Being paid €350 to watch Netflix sounds better than watching your relative's funeral over Skype.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Exactly. No country has been overwhelmed since we brought in restrictions. Yet people are using this as an argument not to bring in restrictions. Can you not see how devoid of logic that is?
    Gruffalux wrote: »
    And yet you argue day in day out against them.

I'm not against restrictions, masks, social distancing, good hygiene, keep pubs closed all should be kept, I'm against having the harshest lockdown in the world, I'm against closing retail and this ridiculous 5k limit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement