Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Sakana wrote: »
    Gemma bullying an old guy on the street into taking his mask off.

How can this not be a Garda matter?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1318234233052237830

What an utter cow. How does she still have followers?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

A mass grave has existed on Hart's island in New York for centuries. That's where the indigent has always being buried.

But a lot more indigent were dying...

From Snopes:
    New York’s Hart Island has been used as a burial site for unclaimed persons for more than 150 years. In April 2020, additional trenches were dug on the island to accommodate for an increase in unclaimed burials during the COVID-19 pandemic. While it’s unclear how many of the recently deceased died from the disease, the number of burials on Hart Island increased from about 25 a week to 25 a day.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

quokula wrote: »
    Being paid €350 to watch Netflix sounds better than watching your relative's funeral over Skype.
    By all accounts people are down to the dregs on Netflix by now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

is_that_so wrote: »
    Just pictures mostly, the Brazilian ones pop up from time to time.

I remember the headlines about Iraq alright. They were all "we've got it under control, nothing to see here" yet the satellite pictures showed that mass graves were being dug outside a couple of their worst hit cities and doctors were putting video up on Facebook showing them stepping over bodybags in the hospitals. The videos were being taken down pretty sharpish.

I vaguely heard about the mass graves in Brazil. Haven't heard about anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

6 of the Westmeath senior football team tested positive today, apparently. Rumours of a lock-in in a local pub after the match.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

niallo27 wrote: »
    I'm not against restrictions, masks, social distancing, good hygiene, keep pubs closed all should be kept, I'm against having the harshest lockdown in the world, I'm against closing retail and this ridiculous 5k limit.

These are not enough obviously when the infection gets out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Kh1993 wrote: »
    To put it bluntly, not many of the lockdown cheerleaders will care. Collateral damage for locking down. Stick them on the €350 and let them watch Netflix.

If the lockdown is to keep numbers low, keep our hospitals someway manageable and to reopen the economy running into the xmas then the hospitality sector needs to part of this. It’s shocking how they’ve been made the scapegoat over and over again. The government does realise the public will give a big fûck you once these 6 weeks are over. House parties galore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

nthclare wrote: »
    I seen no international news about it.

There was quite a lot back in March and April.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

mloc123 wrote: »
    6 of the Westmeath senior football team tested positive today, apparently. Rumours of a lock-in in a local pub after the match.

And I'd believe it.

That sort of thing has been going on, up and down the country! I know of one club, who had a lock-in, with friends etc and they all drank from the cup. We all know what happened next

Morons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

What an utter cow. How does she still have followers?

Her following is growing which is deeply concerning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Outbreak in a plastic forming factory in Westmeath. 9 cases so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Her following is growing which is deeply concerning.

If she caught the virus she could tell us how it makes her feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

But all the GAA clubs delivered groceries to the elderly. How can this be possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

I think some of us, myself included, have to hold our hands up and admit we got it wrong...

We said back in March, April and May that the Government and NPHET were doing a great job in handling this...I was wrong! They've made a complete bollocks out of it

In and out of restrictions for the next 12-15 months is not good for people! It's an absolute nightmare!

Where is that reported?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

MOR316 wrote: »
    I think some of us, myself included, have to hold our hands up and admit we got it wrong...

We said back in March, April and May that the Government and NPHET were doing a great job in handling this...I was wrong! They've made a complete bollocks out of it

In and out of restrictions for the next 12-15 months is not good for people! It's an absolute nightmare!

What do you suggest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

niallo27 wrote: »
    I'm not against restrictions, masks, social distancing, good hygiene, keep pubs closed all should be kept, I'm against having the harshest lockdown in the world, I'm against closing retail and this ridiculous 5k limit.

You're not against a bit of auld exaggeration either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Where is that reported?

Locally, hence my 'apparantly'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Do people advocating for the lockdown genuinely believe that things will be OK on the 1st of December?

We are floating at around 1000 cases a day. The numbers will go up in the next couple of weeks. The talking heads on TV are saying the target is between 50-100 cases per day for the start of December and then accepting it to go up around 300 per day in January.

The last time it took 2 months from us to peak and get down to double figures. This time the numbers are bigger.

Shops will be closed for the run up to Christmas. Pubs will be closed for as long as NPHET can swing their dicks. Christmas is cancelled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Sconsey wrote: »
    You're not against a bit of auld exaggeration either.

What country has harsher. Nobody has answered me yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Do people advocating for the lockdown genuinely believe that things will be OK on the 1st of December?

We are floating at around 1000 cases a day. The numbers will go up in the next couple of weeks. The talking heads on TV are saying the target is between 50-100 cases per day for the start of December and then accepting it to go up around 300 per day in January.

The last time it took 2 months from us to peak and get down to double figures. This time the numbers are bigger.

Shops will be closed for the run up to Christmas. Pubs will be closed for as long as NPHET can swing their dicks. Christmas is cancelled.

What do you think should be done as an alternative in that case?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The real numbers were much bigger in April, you couldn't get tested.

So yes, this could get the numbers down for December.

But the underlying conditions won't have changed, the cases will be building up and sometime in January we will be back in the situation we're in now.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Locally, hence my 'apparantly'.

So it's just a rumour that there are 6 cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

eigrod wrote: »
    905 positive swabs from 14676 tests. Positivity rate 6.17%. Encouraging trend this week.

Apologies if already posted.

Any idea why https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/pages/hospitals-icu--testing

shows an uptick in the 7-day positivity rate from 7.2 to 7.3%

Tks

I agree. They're hoping that no-one will notice how unrealistic are the plans to 'open up' for Christmas. I don't see any way that we go from Level 5 lockdown to Christmas shopping and drinking and household gathering in the space of a couple of weeks, even in the unlikely event that numbers are down to 100 by the start of December (unlikely IMO given schools, sport, the range of essential businesses staying open, and a higher level of non-compliance)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Outbreak in a plastic forming factory in Westmeath. 9 cases so far.

Castlepollard?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Gruffalux wrote: »
    What do you suggest?

For one thing, the government could have spent the whole summer building up ICU and hospital capacity.
    Our hospitals are incapable of dealing with normal winters.
    I know doctors in the HSE who are furious with their inaction. The waste money on everything else.

This is November 2019

https://www.rte.ie/news/health/2019/1105/1088787-trolley-figures/
    The INMO has described hospital overcrowding as "obscene" with trolley figures showing 679 patients waiting for a bed, the second highest recorded and the worst so far this year.

The Irish Nurses and Midwives Organisation said the hospitals worst affected are University Hospital Limerick with 63 patients on trolleys, University Hospital Cork with 60; Letterkenny University Hospital with 47 and South Tipperary General Hospital with 40.

The highest figure ever recorded by the INMO trolley watch was 714 on 12 March 2018.

The FF and FG governments have neglected the health service for decades. The HSE is a bureaucratic wasteful disaster.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Hopefully shops will open, online shopping would be an absolute kick in the teeth with the money leaving the country to the likes of Amazon and wish.

Probably too late at this stage or they'll have a stop start lockdown.

Also I can't believe people were laughing at the people 'panic' shopping at the likes of smyth's. It's called foresight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

OwenM wrote: »
    Any idea why https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/pages/hospitals-icu--testing

shows an uptick in the 7-day positivity rate from 7.2 to 7.3%

Tks

Todays figures replace last Tuesdays in the 7 day average. Todays rate is higher than last Tuesday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement