Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

is_that_so wrote: »
    I don't think you can fully get rid of that short of threatening people but you get better tools. UK have now validated a number of rapid tests. They can give a system more ability to test quickly and thus to ringfence a cluster.

We'll be doing it for COVID-24 :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

mloc123 wrote: »
    I dunno, last week Belgian doctors were told to keep working after testing positive because they were short staffed.

And they are sending patients to Germany since last week having run out of hospital capacity in some regions

They only locked down towards the end of last week, and their current restrictions are looser than ours

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Asian countries don’t give people the choice... they have to complete isolation in a dedicated facility...

That’s essentially what WHO are advocating - pull people away from their homes and put them into communes if their are positive or need to isolate

Which Asian countries? I think if you started to lock up people that tested positive here.... It wouldn't just be the far right loons taking to the streets to protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

What do you do with the people that refuse to isolate? Plenty of stories of them... the carer who tested positive and continued to work in a nursing home, the GAA goal keeper that played while waiting on a result etc..

This is why I doubt the Asian strategy for keeping the virus suppressed - test-trace-isolate - would work in Ireland. Too many Irish people don't have the self-discipline and sense of social responsibility to self-isolate properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

JDD wrote: »
    I dunno. Level 3 didn't work that well in Donegal (in fairness, in their case probably due to the North) or Dublin when they were imposed in isolation. I suppose there is a fair argument that we could have waited a bit longer to see if a nationwide Level 3 would have made a difference.

mainly due to the fact that it didnt stop anyone traveling into donegal from outside (and the fact that NPHET didnt focus ion where the cases where coming form)

once the nationwide level 3 came in there was a noticeable drop in traffic , which then was more noticeable with level 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

This is why I doubt the Asian strategy for keeping the virus suppressed - test-trace-isolate - would work in Ireland. Too many Irish people don't have the self-discipline and sense of social responsibility to self-isolate properly.

If you have small numbers, then policing those who should be self-isolating is feasible, but it's futile unless contact tracing and test turnaround is absolutely rock solid. It would change the relationship of many people with the Garda though, lots of people who would never be in contact with one except for stuff like passport photos get a knock on the door from a Garda, some of those interactions are going to be less than cordial.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

DAA CEO on Claire Byrne on RTE radio there, saying Dublin airport are seeking planning for pre-departure testing centres. Interesting to see if this is part of EU traffic light system that in theory is due to start from 8th I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Stheno wrote: »
    Prosecute them?

This is Ireland, great for the ole warning but sh*te at actually handing out fines. Need a system where if someone has to go into isolation they at least have someone to do their shopping if needed and delivered. Shouldn't be to hard to set up a system with the council or some organisation to do this.
    If caught not isolating a hefty fine and double it each time they get caught. We all know rules and though luck if you get caught breaking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

OwenM wrote: »
    If you have small numbers, then policing those who should be self-isolating is feasible, but it's futile unless contact tracing and test turnaround is absolutely rock solid. It would change the relationship of many people with the Garda though, lots of people who would never be in contact with one except for stuff like passport photos get a knock on the door from a Garda, some of those interactions are going to be less than cordial.

The other bit where you're relying on joe public to act responsibly is to get tested as soon as they feel the slightest hint of a symptom. As with the self-isolating, I'd fear there'd be too many people not playing ball with this, ignoring it and hoping it'll go away and suchlike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

is_that_so wrote: »
    325 in hospital and 44 in ICU this morning.

Know one guy in his 60s that went in over the weekend, couldn't catch his breath

Gets real when its not a statistic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Derek Zoolander

Which Asian countries? I think if you started to lock up people that tested positive here.... It wouldn't just be the far right loons taking to the streets to protest.

China were locking people into their house to quarantine - we bringing people in Wuhan and other locations to covid facilities when they tested positive
    In Hong Kong if you test positive on arrival you have to go to hospital, if negative quarantine in a state facility... Vietnam similar.. even look at Aus/Nz - they’re running at close to 100% quarantine capacity and not letting thousands of citizens back into country

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Eod100 wrote: »
    DAA CEO on Claire Byrne on RTE radio there, saying Dublin airport are seeking planning for pre-departure testing centres. Interesting to see if this is part of EU traffic light system that in theory is due to start from 8th I think.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40072436.html

I imagine the cost of a rapid (15-30 minute) test will be included in the price of your ticket, but as a result a negative test will mean you don't have to restrict your movements when you arrive.

These tests are fast but less accurate than the standard test, which is why they're not used for general diagnostics.

So this initiative will probably require the buy-in of governments too. Some countries (especially in East Asia) may not accept it and will insist on putting you through their regime (if they even allow inbound flights at all).

Rapid tests is one of the big focus areas anyway, within six months they'll be faster and cheaper and more accurate. One home breathalyser style test is showing promising results at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

seamus wrote: »

I imagine the cost of a rapid (15-30 minute) test will be included in the price of your ticket, but as a result a negative test will mean you don't have to restrict your movements when you arrive.

These tests are fast but less accurate than the standard test, which is why they're not used for general diagnostics.

So this initiative will probably require the buy-in of governments too. Some countries (especially in East Asia) may not accept it and will insist on putting you through their regime (if they even allow inbound flights at all).

Rapid tests is one of the big focus areas anyway, within six months they'll be faster and cheaper and more accurate. One home breathalyser style test is showing promising results at the moment.

Wonder could AI play a part?

https://news.mit.edu/2020/covid-19-cough-cellphone-detection-1029

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I wonder if multiple tests spaces an hour or 2 between each other help with the accuracy issue? Like one test when a person goes through security to get to there gate and then another an hour before the flight or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

spookwoman wrote: »
    This is Ireland, great for the ole warning but sh*te at actually handing out fines. Need a system where if someone has to go into isolation they at least have someone to do their shopping if needed and delivered. Shouldn't be to hard to set up a system with the council or some organisation to do this.
    If caught not isolating a hefty fine and double it each time they get caught. We all know rules and though luck if you get caught breaking them.

WHO are living in cloud cuckoo land if they think western countries are going to set up isolation centres similar to south east asian countries. It may well be the best tactic in avoiding lockdowns but I don't think they factor in differences in culture at all when making recommendations.

Say I get a positive covid test. Am I brought to an isolation centre straight away? Have I been convicted of a crime? You can't incarcerate someone in case they commit a crime. It's unconstitutional. It's as simple as that. We're not in the business of thought policing.

So perhaps I'm brought to the isolation centre only if I am found to have breached self isolation rules. Again, I haven't been convicted of a crime. The guards might suspect that I have committed a crime, but I haven't been convicted of a crime in court of law by a jury of my peers. You can just about get a system of on-the-spot fines past the Attorney General, but you certainly wouldn't get a week's incarceration past him - even if it were in a swanky hotel. Again, it's just simply unconstitutional.

And then there's the whole system that has to be behind isolation centres. Given our record on direct provision centres I can only imagine the tribunals that would tie up our legal system and cost a fortune in the future.

On the spot fines are different. We could do this alright. I guess very little people would be caught though. Yes, there are checkpoints right now, but only a small amount of them and only to prevent people crossing county borders. Everyone knows you won't be caught going to the shops, unless we're proposing tagging everyone who tests positive. It might prevent people from heading to work after a positive test, but to be honest, if you are heading to work after having tested positive its because you are very worried about losing your job, or can't afford to take unpaid sick leave. The prospect of perhaps being caught and getting a €50/100 fine probably isn't going to stop you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

I understand that Abbott rapid testing was used on everybody attending the ceremony held on September 26th in the White House Rose Garden for the nomination of Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court.

At least 36 White House staff members or associates, closely working with White House personnel, have tested positive for the coronavirus.

The White House resisted efforts to engage in contact tracing, leaving it unclear how many people were infected in total and what the origins of the spread were. So the numbers are probably substantially more than 36 !

Not exactly a great advertisement for rapid testing... is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Not exactly a great advertisement for rapid testing... is it ?
    I expect Rapid testing to be used in places where otherwise there would be no testing, e.g. weekly testing of factory/office employees, airlines, ships, maybe even restaurants if it was cheap & rapid enough. We wouldn't need close to 100% accuracy to give people a lot more comfort and confidence. We'll still have stuff like masks and some social distancing, but not as much.

The White House rather stupidly put all their faith into rapid testing, and apparently didn't bother with any other precautions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Has there been a big drop in those in hospital?

Reported as 268 now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

PopTarts wrote: »

Reported as 268 now.

Well they did say the average hospital stay is less now than it was in the Spring, so between that and 12+ days of lowering case numbers, that would make sense no?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

hmmm wrote: »
    but we're being told that it's not realistic to expect approval for a vaccine for the general public before the middle of next year.

Not disputing this, just interested - who is "we" and where are you hearing this?

Thanks a lot ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Reported as 268 now.

That's good news

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

hmmm wrote: »
    I expect Rapid testing to be used in places where otherwise there would be no testing, e.g. weekly testing of factory/office employees, airlines, ships, maybe even restaurants if it was cheap & rapid enough. We wouldn't need close to 100% accuracy to give people a lot more comfort and confidence. We'll still have stuff like masks and some social distancing, but not as much.

The White House rather stupidly put all their faith into rapid testing, and apparently didn't bother with any other precautions.

Comfort and confidence... by using an innacurate test !!!

False negatives could lead to the kind of behavior we saw in the White House rose garden by people who didn't know they were sick.

False positives could also put people at risk: If a virus-free nursing-home resident with a false positive is placed in a COVID-19 ward, that person could become infected.

This rapid test panacea has not been thought through...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Reported as 268 now.

Super if true.
    One of our smallies was identied as close contact in crèche. Crèche informed us yday, got onto out of hours doctors, they tested them this morning, hopefully get results soon. We were told contact tracing would be in touch, it’ll be interesting to see when they finally contact us, if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,288 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This rapid test panacea has not been thought through...

It's just like everything these days. I want it now is commonplace in society.

Not many have patience anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    That's good news

Doesn't make sense, 7 admissions and 3 discharges should mean 329 in hospital, not 268. I believe variance with net chnages can come about because of people admitted for one reason also test positive while admitted but a net decrease of 57?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    That's good news

Great news. I’ll probably be labelled as one of those that finds negativity in everything, but isn’t that a drop of 57 patients? When discharges is showing as 3. Hopefully it’s a mistake on the discharges number anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Yes it does seem large discharges

I haven't seen the 268 figure bar from the poster

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement