Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Great news. I’ll probably be labelled as one of those that finds negativity in everything, but isn’t that a drop of 57 patients? When discharges is showing as 3. Hopefully it’s a mistake on the discharges number anyway.

But where's the positivity, this is the smallest number of admissions since September, no headlines about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Not disputing this, just interested - who is "we" and where are you hearing this?
    Just my opinion based the general tone of various experts - the vaccine thread is a good one to keep an eye on. There's a difference of opinion between the politicians (who are saying immediate availability for all) and the regulators who are pushing back to give themselves more time to gather data for the general public (e.g. the US FDA https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/10/there-s-only-one-chance-do-right-fda-panel-wrestles-covid-19-vaccine-issues )

Also this:
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/04/most-people-likely-wont-get-a-coronavirus-vaccine-until-the-middle-of-2021.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Yes it does seem large discharges

I haven't seen the 268 figure bar from the poster

268 is the number shown on the dashboard as of now. However, I'm sure it's wrong, couldn't have changed that much overnight. There have been glitches on the dashboard before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Yes it does seem large discharges

I haven't seen the 268 figure bar from the poster

It’s on the dashboard. I know the discharges/admissions numbers never really line up perfectly, but it’s a huge disparity, which would seem to come from maybe a hospital not reporting or misreporting, given it’s almost 20%. But being optimistic it would be fantastic if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

hmmm wrote: »
    Level 3 until a vaccine I predict, unfortunately. Fully agree with MelbourneMan. We could lift the limit on outdoor dining, but indoor-anything is difficult.

A table for two overlooking Galway Bay in mid November sounds great...a gentle breeze softly caressing the candles flame. It would be magical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

JDD wrote: »
    WHO are living in cloud cuckoo land if they think western countries are going to set up isolation centres similar to south east asian countries. It may well be the best tactic in avoiding lockdowns but I don't think they factor in differences in culture at all when making recommendations.

IMO if we (the West) won't do some of this "anti freedom" stuff, get ready to live with either rolling "lockdowns"/a hobbled economy and/or health services constantly under threat of buckling under weight of covid-19 cases for a long time to come.

The dilemma applies to the mass vaccination measures that people are pinning all hopes on. Almost all Western countries have large + well developed and funded "anti vaccine" moron movements promoted by social media.

How do you "make" grown adults (or maybe man/women sized toddlers!) take a vaccine without doing some somewhat illiberal things to people who won't take it...even if you don't go so far as mandating it by law.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

OwenM wrote: »
    Doesn't make sense, 7 admissions and 3 discharges should mean 329 in hospital, not 268. I believe variance with net chnages can come about because of people admitted for one reason also test positive while admitted but a net decrease of 57?
    Probably people who went in for one thing, tested positive while in hospital, have now tested negative, but are still in hospital being treated for the thing they originally went in for.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Paddygreen wrote: »
    A table for two overlooking Galway Bay in mid November sounds great...a gentle breeze softly caressing the candles flame. It would be magical.

All while trying to hold the table down and prevent it from getting blown into the bay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

7 Day moving average:

531466.jpg

I must say I was expecting this lockdown to be less effective due to general apathy, but pleasantly surprised...

The sound of hailstones gently battering your partners forehead, while a bout of mild hypothermia brings you both together beside a lukewarm radiator when returning to your room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

wes wrote: »
    I wonder if multiple tests spaces an hour or 2 between each other help with the accuracy issue? Like one test when a person goes through security to get to there gate and then another an hour before the flight or something like that.

No. If someone has a low viral load at security, it's not going to multiply that quickly to a detectable level 2 hours later.

I don't think people have thought about the logistics of this. How big of a job it would be. It doesn't matter how cheap a test claims to be. To perform it at such a scale would cost millions.

If a test is claimed to take 15 mins. That doesn't include the time it takes for the person to queue, the person performing the test to record all the persons details and explain the process to each person. It could take 20 to 30 mins per person.

How long would it take to test a plane load of people. How long would it take to test X amount of plane loads of people.

Will other countries accept results from rapid tests. If other countries use less reliable and inaccurate tests will we accept those passengers.

If the EU decide to use the same rapid tests then you have many countries relying on the same manufacturer to produce kits. Securing stocks of supplies will become an issue. Flights could be delayed or cancelled.

What do you do with people who test positive. Will they be permitted to fly. Will countries accept passengers who test positive. It would be a great pain for people and their wallets to get as far as the airport only to be told your carrying a virus and cannot fly.

How do you enforce quarantine. We already have issues with people not isolating waiting for a test, waiting for results and even people who know their positive.

NPHET asked HIQA to evaluate various testing methods and one of their recommendations was that rapid testing is not suitable for use in airports.

fly_agaric wrote: »
    IMO if we (the West) won't do some of this "anti freedom" stuff, get ready to live with either rolling "lockdowns"/a hobbled economy and/or health services constantly under threat of buckling under weight of covid-19 cases for a long time to come.

The dilemma applies to the mass vaccination measures that peole are pinning all hopes on. Almost all Western countries have large + well developed and funded "anti vaccine" moron movements promoted by social media.

How do you "make" grown adults (or maybe man/women sized toddlers!) take a vaccine without doing some somewhat illiberal things to people who won't take it...even if you don't go so far as mandating it by law.

White vans, 5am, and a few strong lads. That worked very well in China. We have supply of empty office and retail space that could be turned into detention facilities fairly quickly. My headlock is impossible to get out of guys and I am willing to step up when I’m needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Eod100 wrote: »
    DAA CEO on Claire Byrne on RTE radio there, saying Dublin airport are seeking planning for pre-departure testing centres. Interesting to see if this is part of EU traffic light system that in theory is due to start from 8th I think.

Whats the point if I cant leave my county?

I don't think people have thought about the logistics of this. How big of a job it would be. It doesn't matter how cheap a test claims to be. To perform it at such a scale would cost millions.
    If you take the airline/aviation industry which is losing billions every month, they will have no problem spending tens of millions on testing if it gives customers more comfort. Travel is a huge industry, and many/most? will happily turn up to the airport an hour or two earlier.
    NPHET asked HIQA to evaluate various testing methods and one of their recommendations was that rapid testing is not suitable for use in airports.
    I think there's a difference between what I'll call "official" and "unofficial" testing. Countries will decide which tests are sufficient to allow entry. For businesses, a test which is good-enough to give customers extra confidence is all that is required - just look at the theatre of waving around temperature scanners.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

Solli wrote: »
    I’m sorry to hear that foxyladyxx. I hope you are recovering well. Remember you were on this forum at the start of all this. How are you now?

Am doing really well now Solli. Thank you so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭BrianD3

CSO has a press release on excess deaths. Estimated to be 876 to 1192
    https://www.cso.ie/en/csolatestnews/pressreleases/2020pressreleases/pressstatementmeasuringmortalityusingpublicdatasourcesoct2019-sep2020/

In one way it is clever to use rip.ie for this purpose. OTOH, an amateur could also do this. Our system for registering deaths is a joke as are many other systems for capturing data. Not necessarily any fault of the CSO but doesn't look good that we are paying statisticians to extract data from a public domain, private sector website which was never meant as a statistical tool.

Also, I don't see any mention of statistical significance in that press release. Just because there is an increase in mortality vs previous years doesn't mean that it is a statistically significant change.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,317 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

No. If someone has a low viral load at security, it's not going to multiply that quickly to a detectable level 2 hours later.

If a test is claimed to take 15 mins. That doesn't include the time it takes for the person to queue, the performing the test to record all the persons details and explain the process to each person. It could take 20 to 30 mins per person.

How long would it take to test a plane load of people. How long would it take to test X amount of plane loads of people.

Will other countries accept results from rapid tests. If other countries use less reliable and inaccurate tests will we accept those passengers.

If the EU decide to use the same rapid tests then you have many countries relying on the same manufacturer to produce kits. Securing stocks of supplies will become an issue. Flights could be delayed or cancelled.

What do you do with people who test positive. Will they be permitted to fly. Will countries accept passengers who test positive. It would be a great pain for people and their wallets to get as far as the airport only to be told your carrying a virus and cannot fly.

How do you enforce quarantine. We already have issues with people not isolating waiting for a test, waiting for results and even people who know their positive.

1000%

The logistics and cost are two reasons why it won’t work...

There simply isn’t space in the airport to do it safely. To hire extra staff to facilitate it if there was space would be a cost that’s put onto the airlines that’s in turn going to be put onto tickets.

A passenger whose bags have been loaded into a freight container yet tests positive... the container has to be found, brought back to the cargo warehouse, everything unloaded...bag found, rest of bags loaded again, container reweighed, paperwork redone, have to wait for a tug driver to come back for the container, back out to the aircraft... then ... another call, same again !?!? Disaster, NOT workable.... take it from somebody who knows, not safe.

Airline misses its takeoff slot, in summer you’d be waiting over an hour to get a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

schmoo2k wrote: »
    7 Day moving average:

531466.jpg

I must say I was expecting this lockdown to be less effective due to general apathy, but pleasantly surprised...

Level 3 has basically had the same impact that a full lockdown had back in April.
    Scotland, who imposed similar restrictions earlier, have seen far less value from them.

It feels to me that we've been more than a little jammy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

https://www.voanews.com/covid-19-pandemic/irans-daily-covid-19-deaths-hit-record-health-official-says-true-toll-worse
    https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/iran-s-covid-death-toll-may-be-four-times-government-n1245028

Well not just us in Europe pressing the panic button.. Iran to go into second lockdown shutting all schools, mosques, shops and restaurants nationwide and a more serious form of lockdown in Tehran. Senior health staff voice concern over 'unacceptably high mortality rates' as the country's real death toll allegedly sits between 70,000-140,000 , making it one of the highest in the world and the highest per capita outside South America

The sound of hailstones gently battering your partners forehead, while a bout of mild hypothermia brings you both together beside a lukewarm radiator when returning to your room.

I find visors are great for keeping hail off my face as I sip Pinot Grigio through a paper straw in my back garden beside the wheely bins. A good coat and you would be totally sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Always_Running

What's going on with the case numbers in hospital?

As of 8pm last night 332 in hospital and now according to the data hub 268 as of 8am this morning. Was hardly 64 discharged in 12 hours?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

As of 8pm last night 332 in hospital and now according to the data hub 268 as of 8am this morning. Was hardly 64 discharged in 12 hours?

Mass discharges on a Monday with very few over the weekend, so you could say it's three days? So just under 22 a day the past three days?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Level 3 has basically had the same impact that a full lockdown had back in April.
    Scotland, who imposed similar restrictions earlier, have seen far less value from them.

It feels to me that we've been more than a little jammy.

The SNP want to see people suffer so they can blame the Tories. They have shown no leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Strumms wrote: »
    1000%

There simply isn’t space in the airport to do it safely. To hire extra staff to facilitate it if there was space would be a cost that’s put onto the airlines that’s in turn going to be put onto tickets.
    Yes, space is another huge issue. Each airport would have to build another wing to facilitate it. It couldn't be like security with meandering queues of people on top of each other. People have to be socially distant.

Extra airport staff needed to direct passengers. Healthcare professionals should be the ones performing the tests. What healthcare profession or department can afford to deploy staff to work at an airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Same happened last Tuesday, there were lots of admissions in the afternoon so the evening figure will be more relavant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Strumms wrote: »
    1000%

A passenger whose bags have been loaded into a freight container yet tests positive... the container has to be found, brought back to the cargo warehouse, everything unloaded...bag found, rest of bags loaded again, container reweighed, paperwork redone, have to wait for a tug driver to come back for the container, back out to the aircraft... then ... another call, same again !?!? Disaster, NOT workable.... take it from somebody who knows, not safe.

Airline misses its takeoff slot, in summer you’d be waiting over an hour to get a new one.

Pre flight tests should be taken in your local pharmacy up to 72 hrs before departure IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 25,317 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yes, space is another huge issue. Each airport would have to build another wing to facilitate it. It couldn't be like security with meandering queues of people on top of each other. People have to be socially distant.

Extra airport staff needed to direct passengers. Healthcare professionals should be the ones performing the tests. What healthcare profession or department can afford to deploy staff to work at an airport.

Yep, just not going to happen.

I think I’d rather stay at home then go through all that. Airports are a pain in the backside ever since 9/11. Throw in screening for covid, nahhh keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

I actually love Winter camping and picnicing. Nice warm weatherproof clothes, nice dry tent, a fkask of tea, the sound of the rain, very calming. Watching a campfire flickering, the stars overhead at night if clear. Snuggling up in warm sleeping bags. The chat, the cameradery. Beautiful scenic views, the frost in the morning and the walking in fresh brisk air....
    Each to their own :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

White vans, 5am, and a few strong lads. That worked very well in China. We have supply of empty office and retail space that could be turned into detention facilities fairly quickly. My headlock is impossible to get out of guys and I am willing to step up when I’m needed.

This schtick of yours isn't very good any more. Might have dislocated my funnybone at some point during "lockdown 2". :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Pre flight tests should be taken in your local pharmacy up to 72 hrs before departure IMO

That will only provide you some assurance that you are not affected, the country you want to visit or the airline you want to use have no assurance from a test performed like this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement