Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quokula

MOR316 wrote: »
    Question...

I have a videographer travelling 30km from Dublin to film something for me for a few hours next week. Now with the new restrictions, what happens?

We're told to work from home unless your presence is needed, which his obviously is. But, would this be seen as essential travel?

Any help on this would be appreciated because neither of us have a clue

Nobody is being asked to stop working if they can’t work from home, so this should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUKKBN27528G

Almost 4000 people currently hospitalised with covid in Czech Republic , far worse already than our peak hospital strain and unfortunately for CZ doesn't look like peak has been reached yet in cases

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MOR316

quokula wrote: »
    Nobody is being asked to stop working if they can’t work from home, so this should be fine.

Thank you from me and an "oh bollocks" from my wallet :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

This is actually an underestimate. It was 500 per day two weeks ago, it’s over 1000 per day now. There would be no reason for the number of cases not to continue to grow at the rate they have been if we didn’t change course, meaning 1000 per day would become 2000 two weeks from now then 4000 two weeks after that. Without restrictions we could be looking at 16000 cases per day by Christmas, were the last few weeks’ growth rate to be left unchecked.

Probably continue growing now unfortunately for next 2 weeks now anyhow before they stabilise / drop hopefully .
    Could be up to 2000 a day before that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

This is actually an underestimate. It was 500 per day two weeks ago, it’s over 1000 per day now. There would be no reason for the number of cases not to continue to grow at the rate they have been if we didn’t change course, meaning 1000 per day would become 2000 two weeks from now then 4000 two weeks after that. Without restrictions we could be looking at 16000 cases per day by Christmas, were the last few weeks’ growth rate to be left unchecked.

Dublin stabilised at Level 3 in respect to growth and it had an effect in LOK previously. Seemingly Donegal is already showing a decrease in numbers and that is even before the effects of Level 4 kick in.

The only place it is going unchecked is in the school environment which is still open.

NPHET have predicted about 100 in ICU by Saturday week based on their modelling. That is set in stone as any effect of the new restrictions on behaviour will not have kicked in at that point.

bb1234567 wrote: »
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUKKBN27528G

Almost 4000 people currently hospitalised with covid in Czech Republic , far worse already than our peak hospital strain and unfortunately for CZ doesn't look like peak has been reached yet in cases

Can't remember , was it there that they had the massive street party to celebrate coming out of restrictions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I think the rate is around 0.6% and probably less if the infection rate remains with younger people and vulnerable are protected. We are also not sure what would have been the effect of the Level 3 and 4 measures put in place only last week. It seems there are encouraging signs from Donegal anyway.
    Have you a good link for that 0.6%? I was basing 1% off what has been happening in Ireland for the last while (while it was mostly circulating against young people, I suspect), but if you have more reliable data, I'd be interested. It sounds on the low side, even outside Ireland.

And I don't see these encouraging signs people are talking about from Donegal? A link for that would definitely be appreciated, as I'm there at the moment..

Ficheall wrote: »
    Have you a good link for that 0.6%? I was basing 1% off what has been happening in Ireland for the last while (while it was mostly circulating against young people, I suspect), but if you have more reliable data, I'd be interested. It sounds on the low side, even outside Ireland.

And I don't see these encouraging signs people are talking about from Donegal? A link for that would definitely be appreciated, as I'm there at the moment..

And Dublin apart from a couple of days of "" stability "has just continued slowly climbing .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Starting to think like Tracey. Where's my fast car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Ficheall wrote: »

This article refers to a consensus of 0.6% https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/04/health/coronavirus-death-rate.html . It rightfully highlights that this is dependent on many factors including demographics and health system capability.

The CDC has more recently released a series of scenarios which breakdown IFRs in demographic groups - https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/planning-scenarios.html

Detail Irish data is available here but they do not use the IFR but rather the CFR. We all know that many went untested In the period March and April https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/casesinireland/epidemiologyofcovid-19inireland/COVID-19_Daily_epidemiology_report_(NPHET)_20201019%20_Website.pdf

The point on Donegal was comments here that numbers there have been reducing including on the figures published yesterday but I accept one or two days does not make a trend. Saying that one would expect that with all the focus on Donegal particularly a few weeks back it would start to translate to lower numbers as behaviour changed and the restrictions kicked in.

Edit -
    Breakingnews.ie have one of the better maps I have seen showing the 14 day rate North and South. Tomas Doherty is the journalist and he has links to the sources and the data.

This shows that relatively speaking Donegal is no longer an outlier in terms of high numbers which indicates that the growth has slowed.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/covid-19-in-ireland-latest-county-by-county-data-1021310.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,634 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Bought a Oculus VR Headset today, time to escape covid reality and head to virtual Hawaii for 6 weeks folks!

Aloha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,682 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Just after watching PT
    Is McConkey a real doctor or did he get it from an online course - every time someone asks a question of him (that other doctor tonight who speaks very well) he just pulls a furrowed brow face like he has no idea what was just asked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,634 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Beanybabog wrote: »
    I’m not sure, we only found out so I’m reading stuff now. I have to get me and kids tested. Apparently we had to wait for contact tracing to contact us but that’s scrapped for now, given that they’re overwhelmed. If I test positive as an asymptomatic person my contacts would only be gone back
    24 hours and I’ve had zero... I kept me and kids in since oh got a cough

I hope negative and take care

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

If they can, get stuff delivered. If they can't a neighbour would surely help and leave the shopping at the doorstep. We do that for our neighbour when ordering our grocery shopping online, and it's grand. He can walk up to the shop to buy the paper and a lottery ticket and have a chat, but would not be able to carry shopping home. He refuses our offer of driving him there, is a bit wary of virus transmission. That's ok.

Or contact ALONE.

Also most places now have a Community Response team. They will shop, collect prescriptions etc. And An Post are asking postmen to take outgoing mail; they have allowed NO POSTAGE since the first lockdown to all cocooners within Ireland.

Give Citizens Information a call for more details and support information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Gps are being asked to refer anyone who identifies themselves as a close-contact to their practice on for a test for next 10 days or so i.e. if you haven't been contacted by public health team yet but are close contact of someone who has tested positive you can get tested.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Beanybabog hope you got some sleep, try keep windows open and get your husband to clean bathroom etc after use.
    Hopefully you and the kids get tested today and all will be ok. Best of luck with the results and pregnancy. Hard time to be expecting but think of those newborn snuggles x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Czech republic. Twice our population. About same landmass. Things have escalated badly there in a matter of weeks. In the first 17 days of October same number died from covid as in previous 8 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Gruffalux wrote: »
    Czech republic. Twice our population. About same landmass. Things have escalated badly there in a matter of weeks. In the first 17 days of October same number died from covid as in previous 8 months.

They obviously didn’t have a high death rate early this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Contact Tracing sat on a wall, Contact Tracing had a great fall; All the government's ministers and all the HSE's men, couldn't put Contact Tracing back together again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

They obviously didn’t have a high death rate early this year?

Yeah, they were the poster boys and girls first wave.

They brought in masks early on.

530036.jpg

Deaths similar trend

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭pawdee

dmakc wrote: »
    This won't be as autocratic as people make out. The cot is essential under caring for a child. Then use that excuse over and over again for the next few times

That's grand until she's cot.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

How would we know there was 16000 cases per day? Or do you mean 16000 cases in the country but not tested?
    We aren't doing 16000 tests a day and even if we were it would mean every single test has to come back positive.

If you mean not tested then theres probably that number out there already and more than likely higher with people with no symptoms.

See the issue with testing here??
    Inaccurate and shouldn't be used to lock us down or scaremonger the population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Bought a Oculus VR Headset today, time to escape covid reality and head to virtual Hawaii for 6 weeks folks!

You will not be disappointed. We have a HTC vive in our house and it is amazing. Incredibly immersive.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Contact Tracing sat on a wall, Contact Tracing had a great fall; All the government's ministers and all the HSE's men, couldn't put Contact Tracing back together again.

What an utter clusterfcuk! We now have to rely on people to do their own contact tracing... I can see that working well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

It’s a pity our PR fee collecting media doesn’t have the balls to call out the failure and falling apart of contact Tracing for what it actually is.

A broken healthcare system.

Just plain broken.

Ironic that one of the worst health ministers in the history of the state is now the Taoiseach presiding over this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It’s a pity our PR fee collecting media doesn’t have the balls to call out the failure and falling apart of contact Tracing for what it actually is.

A broken healthcare system.

Just plain broken.

Ironic that one of the worst health ministers in the history of the state is now the Taoiseach presiding over this.

But but he brought in the smoking ban. He has built his career off that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

fritzelly wrote: »
    Just after watching PT
    Is McConkey a real doctor or did he get it from an online course - every time someone asks a question of him (that other doctor tonight who speaks very well) he just pulls a furrowed brow face like he has no idea what was just asked

Some clown college gave him something anyway. The most outlandish predictions he comes up with and absolute doomsdayer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

And that in a eggshell is why were are in lockdown for 6 weeks now .

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    And that in a eggshell is why were are in lockdown for 6 weeks now .

Ye crack me up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Yeah, they were the poster boys and girls first wave.

They brought in masks early on.

530036.jpg

Deaths similar trend

Once they get the masks back on, their figures should fall off a cliff within a week/10 days? Since masks are so effective?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Ye crack me up

Would be hilarious if it wasnt so sad and true unfortunetly .

Once they get the masks back on, their figures should fall off a cliff within a week/10 days? Since masks are so effective?

Sure, why not?

Wear them at home and in bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Department of Education instructs principal to reopen school he closed because of covid.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/education/department-of-education-instructs-principal-to-re-open-school-he-closed-because-of-covid-39647433.html

The principal closed the school after 7 cases were confirmed across students of 500. The DOE told him to reopen.

Have to feel bad for the principal here. He's trying his best to keep his students and staff safe and this happens. Not sure what difference a few days before the mid term break would make bit the DOE seem to want to safe face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Department of Education instructs principal to reopen school he closed because of covid.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/education/department-of-education-instructs-principal-to-re-open-school-he-closed-because-of-covid-39647433.html

The principal closed the school after 7 cases were confirmed across students of 500. The DOE told him to reopen.

Have to feel bad for the principal here. He's trying his best to keep his students and staff safe and this happens. Not sure what difference a few days before the mid term break would make bit the DOE seem to want to safe face.

Remember when the nursing homes took restrictions into their own hands and were told off for it back at the start of this?

Anyone remember how that turned out?

A principal with principles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Remember when the nursing homes took restrictions into their own hands and were told off for it back at the start of this?

Anyone remember how that turned out?

Ssh you're not supposed to mention them. I believe Tony said not to blame anyone, not surprised he said that either. As I remember Tony asked nursing homes not to act unilaterally like we had no idea last March who were the most vulnerable. The news about Italy was fake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Fúcking Omnishambles!

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

To be honest I hope to see cases skyrocket in schools, they closed everything else without any intelligence but left them open. Why state that kids are better off in school, there are plenty of adults that are better off going to the gym, yet they closed them. IDIOTS.

EDit wrote: »
    What an utter clusterfcuk! We now have to rely on people to do their own contact tracing... I can see that working well

What do we think contact tracing really is?

Can you tell me who you were in close contact within 48 hours of getting symptom?
    Can you give me their contact details?

That's essentially it, and any reasonable individual should have contacted anyone they interacted with once they got the result (or even when they were going for a test to give them the heads up).

Trouble is many of us are not reasonable people, and many people have this misplaced sense of shame or embarrassment at relating that information to others, and the expectation that its not my responsibility, its governments job.

If more people took some personal responsibility, we would not be near the current levels. Contact tracing should also have been better resourced, and that is a government failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭manniot2

Its a farce beyond all comprehension, but "what else can we do"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

To be honest I hope to see cases skyrocket in schools, they closed everything else without any intelligence but left them open. Why state that kids are better off in school, there are plenty of adults that are better off going to the gym, yet they closed them. IDIOTS.

I'd like to see more egg on the DOE and DOH's face like anyone, but I'd also like be able to see my family in Limerick this Christmas.

Nice guy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

What do we think contact tracing really is?

Can you tell me who you were in close contact within 48 hours of getting symptom?
    Can you give me their contact details?

That's essentially it, and any reasonable individual should have contacted anyone they interacted with once they got the result (or even when they were going for a test to give them the heads up).

Trouble is many of us are not reasonable people, and many people have this misplaced sense of shame or embarrassment at relating that information to others, and the expectation that its not my responsibility, its governments job.

If more people took some personal responsibility, we would not be near the current levels. Contact tracing should also have been better resourced, and that is a government failing.

I would like to think duty to others would first over misplaced shame. Concealing it from others who could end up losing someone because of it..... that burden should weigh way heavier than someone's embarrassment.

Words fail me at the thought someone can't see this tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

A principal with principles
    A principal doing a solo run, just talking to his board and making public health calls about his region was going to end one way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

The only idiot here is you.you should be ashamed of yourself wishing to “see cases Skyrocket” in schools.
    What a horrible thing to say.
    You’d wonder where humanity is going when you see posts like that.

• Site Banned Posts: 49 Softshoulder

This is barely a lockdown. So many businesses are going to be open.

You'd have a shorter list of businesses closing than opening:

- Pubs
    - Restaurants
    - Barbers
    - Clothes shops
    - Retailers
    - Gyms

Phone shops staying open, car dealers staying open, electrical outlets staying open, opticians staying open, banks staying open, landrettes and drycleaners staying open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Can the mods pull this horrible post and ban this nasty ignoramus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Is this an angry teenager alert or just roid rage?! Do you yearn for people you dislike to be infected with horrible diseases? Either way you might want to do some reflection on what you are actually contributing to society!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

I want to remind you that schools are somewhat childcare facilities for many parents that have no other option but to go to work [essential workers]. Are you free to mind my children if that happens? For free of course, because we pay upfront for afterschool care and that's non-refundable, and we're not paying twice for the same thing.
    I hate them for closing the gyms too, btw.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

So, we are where we are with this six weeks lockdown because contact tracing broke down and the Government couldn't be bothered increasing ICU beds over the last 8 months. Jesus wept.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement