Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Imagine if we started reporting cases of flu on the news evey year...we would have millions of cases..since this so called virus is not much worse than the flu...it just shows you what a joke this whole thing is
    niallo27 wrote: »
    Can people stop referencing Italy, there was zero restrictions back in March and they were caught badly. You can compare that world to the one we live in now.

You can see what Hooter said above.

You dont put restrictions on during " Flu season"

So for Hooter to compare COVID19 to Flu is why we are running loackdowns.

Hooter Logic = Lockdowns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

It is going to take more and more stories like this for people to grasp what is going on. The stories from March are as forgotten as eaten bread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I just think there is way too much trust put in an organisation that is made of people that have been in charge of one of the worst health systems in Europe.

NPHET don't have any role in funding the HSE, that's the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭E36Ross

Stopped at a checkpoint this morning and asked if I was out working.......

I drive a bus.

E36Ross wrote: »

I drive a bus.

''I am Garda, how about yourself?'' :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Gruffalux wrote: »
    It is going to take more and more stories like this for people to grasp what is going on. The stories from March are as forgotten as eaten bread.

Just the flu bro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I just think there is way too much trust put in an organisation that is made of people that have been in charge of one of the worst health systems in Europe.

Nphet and the HSE are totally different organization. The HSE were not fully in favour of this lockdown. They weren't even informed of the level 5 recommendation from Nphet 2 weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

E36Ross wrote: »

I drive a bus.

That would have been funny if it was true. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭E36Ross

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    That would have been funny if it was true. ;)

100% true..... Why would I make it up?

Been waved through every other checkpoint iv came to, This is the first one where iv actually been stopped and spoken to.

joe40 wrote: »
    Nphet and the HSE are totally different organization. The HSE were not fully in favour of this lockdown. They weren't even informed of the level 5 recommendation from Nphet 2 weeks ago.

There's 10 members of HSE on NPHET including Colm Henry their COO so would think they would have to have known.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Gruffalux wrote: »

I totally get that there are different opinions on how best to proceed but the idea that this is no more serious than normal flu is idiotic.
    There are no easy answers and ultimately the long term approach will be a compromise so all aspects of society will be affected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

joe40 wrote: »

You are basing that on a vague tweet from Reid?

He said 4 days later we had 10 days to save health care.

Ignore him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Qiaonasen

Scaremongering hyperbole horse sh1t

It's not scare mongering. It is the reality of the situation. These things have all happened. It's typical denier behaviour. Dismiss the facts and call them bull**** without offering up a reasonable explanation for what is obvious. Covid19 is not the flu. Why is it so difficult to accept? Pandemics happen all the time. It is a reality of life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

They had 6 months to get all this sorted and didn't bother doing anything. Now we're faced with another 6 weeks of half the country shut down. It's infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Qiaonasen

In the long run, the pandemic might be the kick up the arse the government and HSE need to overcome decades of mismanagement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Qiaonasen wrote: »
    In the long run, the pandemic might be the kick up the arse the government and HSE need to overcome decades of mismanagement.

it should be

but won't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I too was that hopeful naive back in April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't understand why NPHET have made keeping schools open a priority. Is this not a political decision? And is this not a perfect example of the confusion of remits between NPHET and the government?
    Well NPHET work off stats mainly. If the stats they are getting are wrong then their recommendations can he wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

silverharp wrote: »
    4 infants died because of travel restrictions in Australia

https://twitter.com/theJeremyVine/status/1318834012945829888

What an absolute disgrace. Makes no sense at all. If that's not an essential journey then what the **** is? I have a nephew in hospital his entire 10 month long life with similar issues. 1 possible option is for him to be flown to London. I couldn't even imagine the government denying him that flight and allowing him to die.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Qiaonasen wrote:
    Unfortunately it won't be. They'll never learn.
    If you look at the civil service these days there's offices full of people who's only goal is to cut costs and they get a big pat on the back for it.
    If you counted up the wages spent on the people doing these jobs they are earning more than the cost cutting they are achieving. We'd have a much better health system without these people, we'd have much better facilities in many areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Too many HSE managers and union reps will shatter that dream very quickly. I worked there for a few years, it's beyond fixing.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

seamus wrote: »
    I too was that hopeful naive back in April.

same here, if anything the recent developments show there is no real appetite either in the HSE or government to tackle the fundamental issues in the HSE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

DubInMeath wrote: »
    What are they doing in the part of Spain your in and what's the plan for 2021?

Closed all bars and restaurants this week in Catalonia, they might introduce a nationwide curfew from 12am-6am (? pointless ??)

Takeway is still possible and schools open.

Household visits are possible, but I think there is a limit - but these are impossible to enforce.

For 2021, not sure, I know they want to cancel the 3 kings parades on January 5th, and restrict dinner meetings to 6 people - good luck with that, I'll comply but others won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

This just shows utter ignorance

NPHET have zero role in the running of the HSE

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

Eod100 wrote: »
    NPHET don't have any role in funding the HSE, that's the government.

That's not what he said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Government fears Nphet will seek new lockdown after Christmas break

Ministers hope it may be possible to move down to Level 4 earlier than planned

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/government-fears-nphet-will-seek-new-lockdown-after-christmas-break-1.4386974

We haven't even hit day 1 of this lockdown and we already have another one to look forward to

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

KrustyUCC wrote: »

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/government-fears-nphet-will-seek-new-lockdown-after-christmas-break-1.4386974

We haven't even hit day 1 of this lockdown and we already have another one to look forward to

it's all a bit depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

Ahh it won't be though. You can kick a dead cat all day long - but it will never bring it back. We'll have a few inquiries, sure, and be done with it after that. Be grand.

• Advertisement

This is our reality until there’s a vaccine that is effective and widely available

Stheno wrote: »
    it's all a bit depressing

Very

Lockdown seems to be the one and only tool that NPHET have to deal with the virus

This is our reality until there’s a vaccine that is effective and widely available

That could take years if it ever happens

I would be hopeful it will but until then there will have to come a point of living alongside the virus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

Bless :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Very

Lockdown seems to be the one and only tool that NPHET have to deal with the virus

Given the current situation what would you have implemented?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

23,000 calls over last week contract tracing did. That's is 137 calls every hour of every day.
    I wonder how many people are on the tracing team? why did they not just hire 500 or so people to do it? The call went out months ago for people available on contract basis!!
    If they had 500 doing it, it would be around 2 calls per day working 8 hours!!
    Well then that is beyond a joke.
    2.43 calls per day over 8 working hours. How is that not sufficient.
    Drumpot wrote: »
    Is contact tracing really that difficult a job to learn? There’s no way we could of trained up a lot more people in the last 6 months?
    ixoy wrote: »
    How does a contact trace even work? They still need the names from the person who tested positive and the phone numbers from them (the team are unlikely to have access). So are they just ringing those people up? Do they ring up the workplace, if any, as well? Shops visited? And, previously, restaurants/pubs?
    Contact tracing was initially performed by healthcare workers who were redeployed as their work decreased with the pandemic.
    When cases fell, these healtchare workers went back to their day jobs.

Contact tracing wasn't ever really a full time job. The system, had to be elastic; capable of having enough tracers to meet demand and not having too many tracers time taken up when cases were really low. There wasn't 450 people sitting around doing nothing during the summer, they went back to their normal roles.

Contact tracing is performed under the Public Health department.
    Public Health has long been short staffed and under resourced. Staff cannot be plucked and trained off the street. Collecting a lot of personal information on hundreds of people has to be handled properly.

I posted this link before, but this is the process of contact tracing from Dr. Marie Casey, a public helath Dr. https://twitter.com/marietcasey/status/1313896089376956416

1. Positive result gets fed into the National Contact tracing IT system where it enters a queue.
    2. The person is notified of their result by the first caller. They will also collect the enhanced data about them. This includes chronic disease risk factors etc. The caller advises them that he will shortly receive another call collecting their contacts for the 48 hours before his symptoms.
    3. The person goes away to think about who he was in contact with in that time and collects their mobile numbers. A caller will collect these.
    4. The call centre collects basic details on the places and businesses the person visited and records them as ”complex contacts”. These are tagged in the system for the Department of Public Health For that area to follow up (pubs cafes, sport etc)
    5. Regional Departments of Public Health deal with these contacts. Then based on that risk assessment they then contact those businesses.They ask them about their staff, protective measures in place, exposure time to determine whether they are cosidered close contacts.
    6. Often the business has to go away and check logs and get details. It’s complicated and time consuming. They add these contacts to the national IT system so they will be booked for a follow up call and swabs.

Dr. Casey also mentions in a subsequent tweet that it is getting hard for them to recruit people to do tracing as they are getting abused by the public.

It is a long and complicated process depending on the number of contacts a person has. Reducing your number of contacts not only prevents the spread of infection but it makes tracing a hell of a lot easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Well that was always on the cards. Essentially they reopen onto level 3 on the 1st December and we get a few weeks before cases start rising again.

All going well vaccination of front line staff and vulnerable should start Q1 2021 and that changes the dynamic then

• Site Banned Posts: 49 Softshoulder

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/1021/1172871-only-senior-inter-county-games-permitted-during-level-5/

Ah lads, what's the point of level 5 if this carry on happens?

GAA are scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

I would be hopeful it will but until then there will have to come a point of living alongside the virus

The Russians are already successfully using a vaccine with good results. They are actually sending out a second vaccine shortly also. Not sexy enough for western media though.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Dr. Casey also mentions in a subsequent tweet that it is getting hard for them to recruit people to do tracing as they are getting abused by the public.

And a zero hour contract for your trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/1021/1172871-only-senior-inter-county-games-permitted-during-level-5/

GAA are scum.

How are they scum?

They were told Inter County could continue, they weren't told it would only be senior and now the departments are off to clarify what is and isn't allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

With a bit of luck we should have one (or more) by the end of this year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

The Russians are already successfully using a vaccine with good results. They are actually sending out a second vaccine shortly also. Not sexy enough for western media though.

Yes, that's good news, the media just want doom and gloom...

How are they scum?

They were told Inter County could continue, they weren't told it would only be senior and now the departments are off to clarify what is and isn't allowed.

If underage county players are elite, then surely senior club players are elite too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭forumdedum

I wouldn't trust Putin with anything.

Yes, that's good news, the media just want doom and gloom...

My job involves some work with Chinese people from time to time and when I said I hope a vaccine comes soon they said they already have one in China and they're rolling it out to the priority groups already.

It's amazing how Europe and USA is seemingly always the first with the technology. It's never China or Russia, no, they could never do it before the US or Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

The HSE are getting a lot of grief, and rightly so.
    There's one area in which they've done fairly well - testing. A horror show at the start of the pandemic, but they got their act together and have steadily increased capability over the last few months as infections have risen.

If only they'd had the bloody foresight to understand that you have to increase tracing capacity in line with your testing capacity, then they might even have gotten away with doing so little to improve our hospital/ICU capacity.

530058.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

Hi all,

My work is closing after today due to level 5. I will have worked 13 hours this week so far, whereas I was originally rostered to work for 29 hours this week. My company has told us to not sign on for the PUP as they will continue to pay us an average of our wages over the past few months every week. However, we’ve been told that next week we are only going to get paid for the hours we worked this week (so 13 for me).

Because of level five, I’m losing out on around 16 hours this week. Am I entitled to apply for PUP or the wage subsidy scheme this week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,025 ✭✭✭shmeee

GAA are scum.

Alright lad, who pissed in your cornflakes?

They are awaiting clarification on the matter. There is games fixed for tonight.

I'm a GAA supporter and I'm surprised ANY GAA is still going ahead given the current circumstances.

It's all about money at the end of the day.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KennisWhale

Very

It's unsurprising that Tony Holohan came back from his, presumably, sad and harrowing few months leave of absence and lockdown is forced on the government from the NPHET advocacy group.

He stepped aside as CMO in the midst of the crisis and then waltzed back in despite missing a key few months. It's absolutely astounding, he is not in a position to be CMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Mmmmm.... Russian Vaccine..

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement