Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

forumdedum wrote: »
    I wouldn't trust Putin with anything.

Well when he didn't take it himself..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,025 ✭✭✭shmeee

hasdanta wrote: »
    Hi all,

My work is closing after today due to level 5. I will have worked 13 hours this week so far, whereas I was originally rostered to work for 29 hours this week. My company has told us to not sign on for the PUP as they will continue to pay us an average of our wages over the past few months every week. However, we’ve been told that next week we are only going to get paid for the hours we worked this week (so 13 for me).

Because of level five, I’m losing out on around 16 hours this week. Am I entitled to apply for PUP or the wage subsidy scheme this week?

Your employer can claim the increased EWSS rates for any payroll pay dates after 19th October so if your payroll is done this week, tomorrow or Friday paydate then you are entitled to the EWSS which is an employer subsidy, not an employee subsidy btw.

Very messy going on PUP for 3 days and then back off it again, don't think it can even be done from what I know and its payment is for a full week, not part of a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

hasdanta wrote:
    Because of level five, I’m losing out on around 16 hours this week. Am I entitled to apply for PUP or the wage subsidy scheme this week?
    You are definitely entitled to something. Just call and enquire as to how to go about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

The Russians are already successfully using a vaccine with good results. They are actually sending out a second vaccine shortly also. Not sexy enough for western media though.

I am all for good news but Russia....really?530059.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Given the current situation what would you have implemented?

I can see why they went for a lockdown even if we are the only country in Europe to go for such a long one

Funny how other countries with worse cases than us didn't go for the nuclear option but still it's here now

The question then is what happens next?

I don't believe NPHET for a second on this lockdown being only 6 weeks

But lets say by some miracle it's successful and we go to level three on 1st of December

That is still very very restrictive on people

No pubs, restaurants, stay without your own county

Retail back up and running

The first lockdown we had went from March 12 to June 29th where we couldn't travel to other counties

That was 15 weeks and 3 days

This lockdown is 6 weeks minimum

That's 21 weeks minimum of not being able to see friends, family and partners if you happen to live in another county

Level three would add a couple of more weeks to that

We might be given dispensation to travel around Christmas for a week or two before NPHET want another lockdown in January

For weeks, six weeks? at level 5 again before the slow unwind

We were painfully slow at easing restrictions the first time around

NPHET will be even slower to ease this time around and at best that would be level three again in February

Starting tonight to the end of February is over 4 months

The opportunity for couples seeing each other is very limited in that time if there's another lockdown

This six weeks is going to be very hard not to mind having a third lockdown in January potentially

Lockdowns should be a last resort when things are collapsing not a go to plan from NPHET

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Poor old Scotland - 28 deaths reported today.

1,739 new cases, 605 in Glasgow and Clyde.
    873 in hospital, 73 in ICU

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Nermal

On the 'brink' of having to prioritise some patients for ICU treatment over others. Grim, unpleasant decisions, but ones that have to be made - so what?

There seems to be an impression in this thread that if the last ICU bed is filled and another patient enters the door the hospital will spontaneously combust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is a third lockdown after Christmas quite likely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Gael23 wrote: »

Absolutely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Swabs today will be very interesting

If we below 900 it’d be good progress

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I wouldn't really have much faith in the testing numbers at the moment considering the enormous difficulties being encountered by contact tracing over the last number of days. Many close contacts simply aren't being contacted let alone tested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Yes.

R number with level 3 restrictions is about 1.3-1.4 (nolan). During christmas the r number will shoot up significantly ( I don't know what significantly means but let's say 2.6-3.5) leading to a large spike in cases which will not be sustainable.

If we go into December with 100 cases a day with those r numbers it will be back at over a 1000 cases a day by mid january.

Can we at least get through this one first before thinking about a third one? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/1021/1172871-only-senior-inter-county-games-permitted-during-level-5/

Ah lads, what's the point of level 5 if this carry on happens?

GAA are scum.
    Take a chill pill or go for a walk

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭quartz1

The GAA seem to have become our new Catholic Church such is their power and reach . Senior Inter County Championship been run I could accept because they can take some precautions and it will provide entertainment to a lot of people who are restricted but all other under age games are a joke. ....those games and training sessions will create unnecessary contact between households at a time the rest of us are confined to our homes. It's not right to restrict funerals while allowing the GAA do what they wish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Very

Lockdown seems to be the one and only tool that NPHET have to deal with the virus

100% agree.

I've been living basically at level 4/5 restrictions for months anyway if I were to compare the guidelines to how I've been living.

We have kept contacts down- Daughter has had playdates but with kids she sits beside in school only. Haven't bothered with shops and shopping centres as I just don't feel like browsing or spending time in places plastered in yellow covid warnings and reminders of our new (ab)normal everywhere, same goes for pubs and restaurants. Did day trips over the summer rather than staying in hotels, have continued to cut my own hair:D
    The way I've been getting through is running and walking in places nearby where I can get out in nature and forget about it all. Now thats gone with the 5k rule (I live rurally and roads around me are not safe to walk or run) and so are my daughters playdates even though she still sits beside her pals in school- our house is pretty depressed at the moment, usually I'm good at seeing the bright side but struggling today big time!
    Sorry for the rant!

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭manniot2

"NPHET trying to find a balance" by putting us into the most restrictive lockdown in Europe. You can only laugh at the BS at this stage.

The January lockdown will be the one that finishes us off, it might even begin to tickle those in the comfort of the public sector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I wouldn't really have much faith in the testing numbers at the moment considering the enormous difficulties being encountered by contact tracing over the last number of days. Many close contacts simply aren't being contacted let alone tested.
    Testing numbers are at a record high.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Qiaonasen

I don't want to be alarmist or hysterical or anything but the first vaccine for smallpox was created in 1796 and the disease was finally eradicated in 1980.
    Just would like to put vaccines in some context. Yes many different factors at play but a vaccine will not end this mess for years. We should demand reparations from China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Qiaonasen wrote: »
    I don't want to be alarmist or hysterical or anything but the first vaccine for smallpox was created in 1796 and the disease was finally eradicated in 1980.
    Just would like to put vaccines in some context. Yes many different factors at play but a vaccine will not end this mess for years. We should demand reparations from China.
    Thanks for that Donald.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Nolan said next two weeks could be bad.

Today is like a mix between Christmas Eve and the day of a wake before funeral tomorrow

I think the government will want to have retail open in the lead up to Christmas ewhatever the situation on December 1st

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

manniot2 wrote:
    "NPHET trying to find a balance" by putting us into the most restrictive lockdown in Europe. You can only laugh at the BS at this stage.

The January lockdown will be the one that finishes us off, it might even begin to tickle those in the comfort of the public sector.
    Do you want the hospitals to get overrun?
    If you want to compare our lockdown the other countries then go find one with a health service as bad as ours and see how that works out for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

My job involves some work with Chinese people from time to time and when I said I hope a vaccine comes soon they said they already have one in China and they're rolling it out to the priority groups already.

It's amazing how Europe and USA is seemingly always the first with the technology. It's never China or Russia, no, they could never do it before the US or Europe.

In fairness the Chinese wouldn't be safety priority , if there is some side effects they will accept it ...

My job involves some work with Chinese people from time to time and when I said I hope a vaccine comes soon they said they already have one in China and they're rolling it out to the priority groups already.

It's amazing how Europe and USA is seemingly always the first with the technology. It's never China or Russia, no, they could never do it before the US or Europe.

Have you ever heard of Thalidomide? There is a reason why proper testing is needed.

manniot2 wrote: »

Give over with this public sector bashing rubbish. It's as lazy as it is nonsense. The payscales are online and anyone and everyone is free to apply if they think it's a cushy number.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Liberalbrehon

manniot2 wrote: »

Lockdowns will end when the money markets say "enough is enough" or vaccines work >80%. I think the former before the latter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭batman75

Hard not to see another lockdown after Christmas most likely in January. Michael Martin might have finally achieved his life’s ambitions but I wouldn’t like to be in his shoes. It must be a nightmare.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

quartz1 wrote: »
    The GAA seem to have become our new Catholic Church such is their power and reach . Senior Inter County Championship been run I could accept because they can take some precautions and it will provide entertainment to a lot of people who are restricted but all other under age games are a joke. ....those games and training sessions will create unnecessary contact between households at a time the rest of us are confined to our homes. It's not right to restrict funerals while allowing the GAA do what they wish.

The underage groups in other sports are mixing. I See it in soccer too every week. Im all for keeping things open,.i dont understand why its half hearted tho. Close people's lively hoods but leave schools open, make no sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,025 ✭✭✭shmeee

shmeee wrote: »
    Alright lad, who pissed in your cornflakes?

They are awaiting clarification on the matter. There is games fixed for tonight.

I'm a GAA supporter and I'm surprised ANY GAA is still going ahead given the current circumstances.

It's all about money at the end of the day.....

Minor and U20 "paused" until further notice.

https://twitter.com/officialgaa/status/1318882952965652481?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

100%, I don;t know why these protestors outside the dail aren't marching on the Chinese embassy...

In fairness the Chinese wouldn't be safety priority , if there is some side effects they will accept it ...

The stakes are much higher in China. It's a brutal authoritarian regime with no transparency. If the party starts to lose control it will descend into anarchy very quick. The party have no wiggle room. They have to throw everything at this.
    Second point is China are rolling out the vaccine locally without it having passed phase 3 trials. Safely isn't a priority for them.
    Lastly, the party know they caused this mess. They want to win the vaccine race at all costs to rebuild China's reputation and carry out vaccine diplomacy.

Do not trust anything about China. Nothing there is as it appears. Look at the news of an Italian journalist in hospital with Covid there currently and documenting his experience. They are giving him medicine and he has no choice. He cannot refuse. That is what you are dealing with. China has no ethics.

Only thing is things are looking optimistic on the vaccine front in the very near future

• Site Banned Posts: 49 Softshoulder

Have you ever heard of Thalidomide? There is a reason why proper testing is needed.

And only Europe and USA do proper testing eh? The baddies Russia and China never do anything safely?

Somehow Pfizer were planning on having their vaccine ready before the end of the year. So if you would, I'd be really interested to know how a couple of months extra makes all the difference??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

And only Europe and USA do proper testing eh? The baddies Russia and China never do anything safely?

Somehow Pfizer were planning on having their vaccine ready before the end of the year. So if you would, I'd be really interested to know how a couple of months extra makes all the difference??

Did you even research the tiniest bit on vaccine development before posting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Contact tracing has utterly collapsed.

Swabs today will be a guesstimate of how much disease there is out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭zinfandel

would not be too reliant on any figures, my son in city centre and girlfriend unwell, been given a test appointment on outskirts of kildare , which would involve taking 3 buses putting more people at risk if positive, so they declined and will probably never know if positive, obviously isolating in the meantime. .

The stakes are much higher in China. It's a brutal authoritarian regime with no transparency. If the party starts to lose control it will descend into anarchy very quick. The party have no wiggle room. They have to throw everything at this.
    Second point is China are rolling out the vaccine locally without it having passed phase 3 trials. Safely isn't a priority for them.
    Lastly, the party know they caused this mess. They want to win the vaccine race at all costs to rebuild China's reputation and carry out vaccine diplomacy.

Do not trust anything about China. Nothing there is as it appears. Look at the news of an Italian journalist in hospital with Covid there currently and documenting his experience. They are giving him medicine and he has no choice. He cannot refuse. That is what you are dealing with. China has no ethics.

I bet you wrote that on your Chinese phone.

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »

We arent doing that bad with testing, some EU countries have positivity rates in the 20s

We always beat ourselves up but we not doing too bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

froog wrote: »
    Nolan said next two weeks could be bad.

Some people here feel that the benefits of nationwide level 3 will only be seen over the coming days. Grey smoke has been seen in terms of positivity rates in virus tests over the last few days. So there is some hope. Nphet would be suggesting would be minimal.

Can see know why social distancing and reducing contacts so important. And that's just a weekend's worth of confirmed cases.

I'd say GPs are rightly furious. What the hell were the government at during summer? Off on their holidays sure

Limpy wrote: »
    I bet you wrote that on your Chinese phone.

I didn't. I used my laptop. I don't see what the connection is?

• Site Banned Posts: 49 Softshoulder

petes wrote: »
    Did you even research the tiniest bit on vaccine development before posting?

Don't need to buddy.

Somehow Europe can create a vaccine in about 8 months yet China can't do it in about 11.

Remember China had the virus two months before it came wholly to Europe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

zinfandel wrote: »
    would not be too reliant on any figures, my son in city centre and girlfriend unwell, been given a test appointment on outskirts of kildare , which would involve taking 3 buses putting more people at risk if positive, so they declined and will probably never know if positive, obviously isolating in the meantime. .

Why did they not make contact to change how the test is taken? Hope they are OK.

• Advertisement

zinfandel wrote: »

Sisters husband tested positive monday. Rest of family told to wait for test, they have no symptoms but nobody has called to test them yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

The % positivity and the amount of tests will speak for themselves, anyone that thinks they might need testing has a responsibility to get tested, they shouldn't need big brother to tell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Just a reminder folks which some of us here have been doing since early on. Keep a list of your contacts even on a piece of paper/diary/fridge for the next while. Keep your receipts from purchases/online bank statement to jog your memory. You can despose of them later. Ask your kids/teenagers about their day in school etc naturely without alerting them to the to the reason why unless age apprioate. And jot them down too. you can put a star by those who would be deemed close contact and those who might be high risk.

What the Russians effectively did is call approval for proceeding to phase 3 trials, approval of the vaccine. What their vaccine is being used for at the moment is a large scale trial. Exactly the same as Pfizer, J&J, Astra Zeneca et al.

Putin just wanted to be able to shout first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I have always thought that the HSE senior management were always way too focused on doing status reports than doing any important internal work.
    Did we need Paul Reid and Co doing daily number updates and Q&A with the media during the summer? Wouldn't a lot of that time have been better spent planning for the future, increasing capacity, improving track&trace etc.

If the CEO or any senior management of any organisation spent half their day collecting, summarising and reporting daily status data, you would know the organisation was in big trouble.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement