Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

With regards golf, lads, try to view it through the eyes of someone living in a block of flats with f all accessible amenities for the next six weeks.
    What will it do for compliance if there's a common view that the lockdown favours the wealthy not just in terms of economic impacts, but even in terms of what they can avail of during the "lockdown".

And where are our movers, landlords, shakers, judges, experts and leaders supposed to wind down with the lads? Obviously those in a grotty block of flats couldn’t afford membership anyway so they will have to make do with things more befitting their station such as tv. Word on the street in Dalkey is that Fair City is going to be repeated from episode one to keep the huddled masses calm for the duration of the lockdown, so they will be grand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 273 ✭✭Hqrry113

One should never underestimate the stupidity of others

The real stupid ones are the ones going on like Covid is like something out of the walking dead and it's gonna wipe us all out, Covid is just a worse version of the flu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Golfman64 wrote: »
    Public Parks will remain open. I don't see much of a difference whether you meet someone for a walk in a park or a walk around a golf course provided both are within 5KM of your home.

It isn't the 18 holes that are the issue...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

nthclare wrote: »
    I know this threads busy, but what's wrong with a single middle aged,young or elderly man or woman living alone, just getting into their car for a spin out to a headland and getting sea air, going fishing or foraging, a swim.

Especially people who are lonely and suffer from depression or have social anxiety.

Some people need their routine and this could save them from the tipping point, they're harming no one.

This..would be my thinking .
    The 2km rule really freaked me out and while 5 km is ok for me it would stop a lot of people going to the coast or the mountains to get fresh air and exercise.
    Is it not worse to have people milling around in heavily populated areas rather than national parks or coastal areas where there aren't so many people ?
    I appreciate that city coastal areas don't want crowds descending during level 5 , but am talking about those other more empty areas , to recharge and refresh .
    If you go for a spin to an empty beach or woodland and don't interact with anyone , I don't see the problem .

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

mloc123 wrote: »

What is? Clubhouses and Pro Shops will be closed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Champagne Sally

Any news on the swab numbers for today yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Any news on the swab numbers for today yet?

Not on the dashboard yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

My daughter just texted me to say she's never seen it so busy in the Jervis centre Dublin. She works retail and has seen it all but nothing like this. Gardai where outside Penny's this morning on Henry Street due to crowd issues. Also said mask wearing seems to have gone out the window.

I despair for our society when people can be this stupid.

I'm not sure I'd be so quick to blame the people when it's the government who decided a 2 day notice period was a good idea.

For anyone who thinks golfing is safe in these times, just ask poor Phil Hogan how it worked out for him.

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »

The holes can be sanatised with a drop of bleach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

For anyone who thinks golfing is safe in these times, just ask poor Phil Hogan how it worked out for him.

Is he ill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

My daughter just texted me to say she's never seen it so busy in the Jervis centre Dublin. She works retail and has seen it all but nothing like this. Gardai where outside Penny's this morning on Henry Street due to crowd issues. Also said mask wearing seems to have gone out the window.

I despair for our society when people can be this stupid.

We are truly a consumer generation that's very much disconnected from the physical world that we abuse, mine and take for granted.

If this COVID situation has reinforced what I had already thought, its that as a species we are hopelessly vulnerable to natural disasters. Worse still, many people have no meaningful desire to mitigate any of these risks if it costs money or means they cant do stuff they want to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Fifteen 18 year olds can train together, but two 18 year olds can't play golf.

Seems legit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

What’s the story with the Covid App now that track and trace has collapsed anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Sheepdish1 wrote: »
    It seems far more complex than people think. I did think there would be some roles that are more administrative type roles though? I thought the army were previously undertaking parts of the process previously and that there were volunteers that were able to do some roles?
    We had a poster here early on who volunteered they said they had to have training. yes the army /gardai helped out and some centers based in universitys. Hospitals have their own as well
    Personality also a factor when for example having the patience to deal with people over the phone who might be worried/panicking/angry etc.
    But yes some people could side step into roles with some training as they did last spring.

Some links to articles and videos I have saved re contact tracing over the last 8 months/ not in chronological order
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-ucc-transformed-in-contact-tracing-hub-1.4219195?mode=amp

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/seven-of-nine-contact-tracing-centres-have-been-closed-1.4275957?mode=amp

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30991801.html

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-hse-to-open-a-third-contact-tracing-centre-1.4334330?mode=amp

https://www.ucc.ie/en/academy/news/the-human-spirit-behind-the-ucc-contact-tracing-centre-.html

https://www.thejournal.ie/contact-tracing-graduates-5201823-Sep2020/

http://trinitynews.ie/2020/03/trinity-business-school-to-host-contact-tracing-volunteers/

Just to give a general idea of the work behind the scenes and how the situation changed over the last while.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Testing numbers are at a record high.

Of course they are, we are at record high numbers of positive results.

That doesn't change the fact that close contacts, right now, are not being identified and are not being tested. That is a fact. Accordingly we can no longer really rely on the figures to give an accurate picture of the spread of the virus on the ground until contact tracing catches up. It's going to be like March / April all over again - actual cases in the community will be far in excess of positive test numbers.

Asymptotic people will not be tested at the moment if contact tracing misses them, which is happening right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

ixoy wrote: »
    These people understand that you can still order most of this stuff online right? That Smyths will also have a click-and-collect for example, which - to be fair - they Tweet about.

It's not even like some of this should be a surprise. I went into town last Monday and did a good chunk of shopping on the assumption things would close (it was lovely and quiet too). Perhaps though I'm better informed/organised than others?
    A classic why isn't everyone like me post! Many people do not buy online for some very obvious reasons just as there are many who don't even know what a Tweet is or how to find one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Goldengirl wrote: »
    This..would be my thinking .
    The 2km rule really freaked me out and while 5 km is ok for me it would stop a lot of people going to the coast or the mountains to get fresh air and exercise.
    Is it not worse to have people milling around in heavily populated areas rather than national parks or coastal areas where there aren't so many people ?
    I appreciate that city coastal areas don't want crowds descending during level 5 , but am talking about those other more empty areas , to recharge and refresh .
    If you go for a spin to an empty beach or woodland and don't interact with anyone , I don't see the problem .

The problem is, people think they’re “clever” finding loopholes in the law with stuff like “oh they can’t enforce that”, as if it’s purely the responsibility of the government and the gardai to fix this pandemic. So you can’t just leave it up to discretion of a Garda, you need laws. So like the idiots breaking the rules ruining it for the rest of us, if they say it’s grand for someone living alone to go further, you’ll have a bunch of people up in arms that they’re being oppressed for not living alone, and another bunch of people thinking it’s gas and Mensa-level thinking to just tell a Garda at a checkpoint that they live alone.

Really what’s needed is common sense. But you know what they say about that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It was the 19th that did for poor Phil!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Positive Swabs

Positivity Rate
    6.66%

Swabs Completed

• Advertisement

Is he ill?

Absolutely Sickened

I'm not sure I'd be so quick to blame the people when it's the government who decided a 2 day notice period was a good idea.

Damned if they do and damned if they don't. A lot of pubs and restaurants were burned by stock going out of date before so government are trying to help.
    What’s the story with the Covid App now that track and trace has collapsed anyone know?

Not enough people using it to be very valuable.but it does have some use.

1,105 swabs from 16,583 tests.

6.66% positive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Positive Swabs

Positivity Rate
    6.66%

Swabs Completed

Could that number be any more creepy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Positive Swabs

Positivity Rate
    6.66%

Swabs Completed

Good numbers.

7-day positivity rate dropped to 7.12%

Boggles wrote: »
    Fifteen 18 year olds can train together, but two 18 year olds can't play golf.

Seems legit.

I would have more faith in two 18 year olds behaving appropriately while playing golf than two 50 year olds

Damned if they do and damned if they don't. A lot of pubs and restaurants were burned by stock going out of date before so government are trying to help.

Not enough people using it to be very valuable.but it does have some use.

They could have tried a different approach, like say keeping things open and punishing those who break the rules, rather than shutting down everything and punishing those trying to be compliant as well.

Closing the place down with a couple of days notice was always going to cause a rush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,187 ✭✭✭pauldry

seamus wrote: »
    Good numbers.

Itll be gone by Halloween. Yay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Is ok. It's 6.663450521%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Positive Swabs

Positivity Rate
    6.66%

Swabs Completed

I have to concede that it's looking like Seamus was probably right, and we're seeing the effects of level 3 being applied nationally really eat into the growth of the virus.

It remains to be seen if the pattern holds and if it would have been a realistic alternative to going to level 5, but fair play to Seamus for the call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

is it rounded up or down?

I have to concede that it's looking like Seamus was probably right, and we're seeing the effects of level 3 being applied nationally really eat into the growth of the virus.

It remains to be seen if the pattern holds and if it would have been a realistic alternative to going to level 5, but fair play to Seamus for the call.

Now imagine what could have happened if we actually enforced level 3!

6.66% positive

Not bad at all. + rate seemed to be spiralling out of control last week, so great to see it below 7% again.

Or the breakdown of contact tracing means the people most needing a test weren't tested and cases were missed.

We need more time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

Positive Swabs

Positivity Rate
    6.66%

Swabs Completed

Still very high numbers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Good numbers.

4 day positivity rate is 6.68%. Hopefully the downward trend will continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Or the breakdown of contact tracing means the people most needing a test weren't tested and cases were missed.

We need more time.

Possibly. But it's not that we're doing less tracing, right?

We're just not doing enough. Missing cases. This will have consequences down the line. I'd expect the positivity rate to still be growing now though, simply as there should be more virus in the community if our trajectory hasn't been altered by something.

I could be missing something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

RonaVirus wrote: »
    Why is the icon for the check in feature in the app a black fella when 98% of the country is white?

Worst app ever.

You are right. We need more white women riding da black lads to even things up. Hung like horses I believe the lucky feckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭redunited

6.66% positive

Is this after or before Track and Trace broke down?

• Advertisement

Clean up the conversation a bit guys please.

Good numbers.

530074.JPG

I wish I had never figured out where the raw data can be accessed. Cant stop making pointless charts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I knew you would find something negative about the numbers but I wasn't expecting that, fair play :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Drumpot wrote: »
    We are truly a consumer generation that's very much disconnected from the physical world that we abuse, mine and take for granted.

If this COVID situation has reinforced what I had already thought, its that as a species we are hopelessly vulnerable to natural disasters. Worse still, many people have no meaningful desire to mitigate any of these risks if it costs money or means they cant do stuff they want to do.

Surely knickers and toys are not essential items ?
    Would people not have the common sense to know that if the virus is spreading like it is, crowding into the city to buy stupid sxxx today and yesterday defeats the purpose?
    The virus doesn't discriminate between level 3 and level 5 .
    Maybe the message needs to be stronger for some thickos to understand .
    "If you want to have some level of normality for Christmas , stay away from crowds now and cop on , or you might be missing some family member due to Covid this December !"
    Too strong ? I don't think so ..
    or Something like the ad for CO alarms, with the canary singing " You might just end up Brown Bread !"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

I calculate that up to yesterday, the previous 7 days swabs total was 8147 and the 7 day cases announced total was 8159, so there shouldn’t be any backlog.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Qiaonasen

marno21 wrote: »
    Perhaps it might be time for this gentleman to take a walk down to the Treasury and take a look at the planned national accounts for 2020 & 2021.

Ireland is borrowing in excess of €20bn in 2021. 2021 will be the last year of such an endeavour. It cannot continue. Should there be no vaccine for us, we will have to start massive cutbacks including to the advanced healthcare that's keeping much of the population who are vulnerable to Covid-19 alive. There is a very good reason why mortality rates in slums in Asia and in large areas of Africa are so low; there is no quality healthcare to treat their primary underlying conditions and they have low life expectancy. The difference between Ireland and those countries is first world healthcare funded by a strong, advanced economy.

If there is no vaccine in 2021, or the usual academic waffle in that article comes to pass, we will have 2 options:

1. Continue locking ourselves in our houses and borrowing into economic collapse in which healthcare provision goes out the window anyway
    2. Find another route out of this mess, whatever you're having yourself that doesn't involve economic shutdowns.

You more or less have proven the point in the article. Option 1 wouldn't be normal. Option 2 will also not be normality. The pandemic does not care about the economy. Do not underestimate it. We are lucky to have never had to deal with something like this until now but historical precedent and current understanding of Corona all say that this is a world changing event on the scale of which those alive today have yet to understand.

• Advertisement

With regards golf, lads, try to view it through the eyes of someone living in a block of flats with f all accessible amenities for the next six weeks.
    What will it do for compliance if there's a common view that the lockdown favours the wealthy not just in terms of economic impacts, but even in terms of what they can avail of during the "lockdown".

Agreed to a point. But I don’t think that that means you bring it down to the lowest common denominator. This is not Spain in April. No-one is getting locked into their apartment. And there is no-one in Ireland that does not live within 5km of wide open spaces or the sea

This is not a lockdown by any stretch

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Would people not have the common sense to know that if the virus is spreading like it is, crowding into the city to buy stupid sxxx today and yesterday defeats the purpose?
    "If you want to have some level of normality for Christmas , stay away from crowds now and cop on , or you might be missing some family member due to Covid this December !"
    or Something like the ad for CO alarms, with the canary singing " You might just end up Brown Bread !"

Ah you never know, some of these people mass buying knickers might have been wearing the same pear since the first lock down.

And come on, toys at this time of year are kinda essential. Or are we all going to tell the kids that santa isnt coming cos he caught covid or something?

I think a lot of people are assuming the 6 weeks may not be 6 weeks, and are lashing in the Christmas shopping just in case. Yes you can buy lots online, but not everyone shops online.

During the last lockdown, we needed to get socks and underwear for our daughter and most online sellers had nothing. Because 90% of people buy these in penny’s, and they were closed, so Next, M&S, etc, all sold out quick.

I’m guessing people are taking the risk on the chance that they extend level 5 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Still very high numbers

Especially considering contact tracing is a complete mess right now.

530074.JPG

I wish I had never figured out where the raw data can be accessed. Cant stop making pointless charts

Not looking exponential anymore, is it!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement