Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,548 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The track & trace call contact centre is like something out of the 1970's, they have phone handsets instead of headsets so have the phone in one hand struggling to type on the other, they won't spend a hundred to save a few thousand in efficiency, typical HSE/Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

https://www.principalsforum.org/?page_id=1265

Interesting survey. Amongst other things, of schools surveyed 1 in every 4 schools have experienced a covid case/s in their school. 1 in 4 schools also saying that they do not have a suitable isolation room for covid cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭political analyst

Its called drift or drove immunity in Cavan

Is this what you're getting at?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antigenic_drift

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭aziz

saabsaab wrote: »
    Will there be enough of an improvement in time to go back to level 2 for Christmas.

Not a hope in hell

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

Will there be enough of an improvement in time to go back to level 2 for Christmas.

Unfortunately, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Can someone help me with the rules: positive spouse, isolates for 10 days from what day- date he became symptomatic and started isolating? Spouse and kids (if negative) restrict movements for 14 days from what day, the day spouse got symptoms or the day they test negative? What happens to the few days in between, could the recovered spouse get reinfected immediately if negative spouse/kids show symptoms on day 13 for example? Can recovered spouse leave the house after 10 days even if others are still restricting ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

So essentially you are asking will you be able to go to the pub!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Will Tony allow us out for a socially distant pint at Christmas?

Get me the fck out of this ****tte hole

• Advertisement

The fact there hasn't been more of a fuss over this is amazing..

The same people championing this are scolding any moves made for power in Poland and Hungary.....

this move right now is significantly more extreme and violating of our civil rights than anything these guys have done...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

But where can you go? Especially now.

But where can you go? Especially now.

Taking the piss? any other country can let you go hotel and relax , have a meal and a drink

Taking the piss? any other country can let you go hotel and relax , have a meal and a drink

No. How would you get there, especially with a 5km limit now!

If this happened in another country we would have EmmaJanPansy screamy it is a coup and a violation of our human rights...

What is happening in Ireland right now is disgusting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Will our hospitals really 'get overrun with Covid 19 patients'? Last time we heard this, we invested millions in booking up private hospital beds only to leave them empty. An over reaction to what we feared could happen but which never materialised (except in our imagination).

you seriously don't know why it didn't happen here?

A second wave was always on the cards especially when so many were not taking basic precautions.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Bunnypaws

What is happening in Ireland right now is disgusting

Never a truer word was said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Is this what you're getting at?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antigenic_drift

Ah yes, of course they'd be accumulating mutations in Cavan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KennisWhale

No. How would you get there, especially with a 5km limit now!

If you're leaving the country, to be fair, it's not a worry for those staying behind in terms of covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Tony would want the pubs closed and everyone locked up of there was no covid never mind now, now if you have cancer in a nursing home then do what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭manniot2

I wonder what will this cervical check tribunal have in store for auld Tony.

froog wrote: »
    you seriously don't know why it didn't happen here?

We should have been overrun last Sunday, we were told 2 weeks ago we would be overrun in 2 weeks. Can you explain why we weren't overrun. Restrictions were the same.

A second wave was always on the cards especially when so many were not taking basic precautions.

Your right. We should have stayed in permanent lockdown.

niallo27 wrote: »
    We should have been overrun last Sunday, we were told 2 weeks ago we would be overrun in 2 weeks. Can you explain why we weren't overrun. Restrictions were the same.

Overrun my bollox. The hospitals have never had a quieter October

manniot2 wrote: »
    Overrun my bollox. The hospitals have never had a quieter October

Exactly, but people won't believe you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭aziz

manniot2 wrote: »
    I wonder what will this cervical check tribunal have in store for auld Tony.

When is this happening,love to see Tony get tore a new one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

People saying about how the hospitals aren't overrun and they should have been overrun by now etc etc

Concerning this virus,in my opinion and my opinion only I believe we haven't hit the most dangerous phase of it since it arrived here yet

Previously we were able to get out in the fresh air,long warmish days etc
    Now we have cold dark days of winter around the corner,lots of people stuck inside,hot centrally heated stuffy homes.

I truly believe the worst part of this virus so far will be November to March 2021.
    I know I sound like a bundle of joy,and I truly hope I'm wrong but the winter months in this part of the globe plays right into the hands of viruses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/varadkar-says-dumping-contact-tracing-problem-on-gps-unfair-1.4387464
    The Tánaiste told the meeting that the HSE contact tracing services would now “reset” and get the system back up and running again.

Leo's fix for contact tracing is to turn it off and on again. Stephen Donnelly said this is a one-off issue which has now materialised.

Of course no-one in government saying they are responsible, it's the HSE's fault for getting rid of the contact tracers during the summer, and then not rehiring enough of them.

The track & trace call contact centre is like something out of the 1970's, they have phone handsets instead of headsets so have the phone in one hand struggling to type on the other, they won't spend a hundred to save a few thousand in efficiency, typical HSE/Government.

My office, in a major multinational was the same until just over a year ago

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Steve F wrote: »
    People saying about how the hospitals aren't overrun and they should have been overrun by now etc etc

Concerning this virus,in my opinion and my opinion only I believe we haven't hit the most dangerous phase of it since it arrived here yet

Previously we were able to get out in the fresh air,long warmish days etc
    Now we have cold dark days of winter around the corner,lots of people stuck inside,hot centrally heated stuffy homes.

I truly believe the worst part of this virus so far will be November to March 2021.
    I know I sound like a bundle of joy,and I truly hope I'm wrong but the winter months in this part of the globe plays right into the hands of viruses

I've been feeling the same. The worst of the pandemic is still ahead of us.

(no, i don't do parties either).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Beanybabog wrote: »
    Can someone help me with the rules: positive spouse, isolates for 10 days from what day- date he became symptomatic and started isolating? Spouse and kids (if negative) restrict movements for 14 days from what day, the day spouse got symptoms or the day they test negative? What happens to the few days in between, could the recovered spouse get reinfected immediately if negative spouse/kids show symptoms on day 13 for example? Can recovered spouse leave the house after 10 days even if others are still restricting ?

beany this page I think will answer your questions top part for the oh and scroll down fir the what if you live with people. If you still have a question post. hope your all doing ok today.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/managing-coronavirus-at-home/self-isolation.html

apologies forgot add link. oops a daisy

Reading through this thread today, the vast majority have retreated into their confirmation bias, on all sides. Try to read something that doesn’t feed your preconceived perception, whatever that may be. It may not change your view, but will at least inform you of some of the facts that you may not otherwise see because you choose to not look, and maybe give you the perspective that everything isn’t always black and white

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KerryConnor

I agree... but in Germany it seems to be working better. They are testing massively in schools. All staff are tested every fortnight and kids reguarly too.

we've only tested 10k kids and staff in 2 months so we have no idea what's really going on in schools - if we were proper mass testing and properly isolating outbreaks it would make a huge difference
    My own personal opinion is that the schools are now the main drivers, and have been fairly significantly responsible for the second wave all around, and that the new restrictions will indeed slow down the increase a lot but not stop it altogether. We'll remain on top of a wavering and maybe slightly rising plateau, which, if/when schools close, and all else being still equal, we will see a significant decrease.

Sadly this is hugely problematic for society and I, for one, can't see any good solutions to both stabilise the virus and make fairly ordinary living workable. It's a cr@p situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I've been feeling the same. The worst of the pandemic is still ahead of us.

(no, i don't do parties either).

Yeah, it's disappointing - I personally am not in the "I told you so" crowd, and genuinely expected we'd get well past Christmas without severe restrictions, but obviously things got worse quicker than that.

speckle wrote: »
    beany this page I think will answer your questions top part for the oh and scroll down fir the what if you live with people. If you still have a question post. hope your all doing ok today.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/managing-coronavirus-at-home/self-isolation.html

apologies forgot add link. oops a daisy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The fella who died in the Oxford trial was on a placebo.

• Advertisement

ADE?
    He died from COVID. He was on a placebo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Thinking a resort in SE Asia myself for the week after Christmas and into the new year. I've no problem self isolating for 2 weeks in January. Poxy month anyway.

About the schools being drivers it seems a great coincidence that the rates of covid started rising at the end of August beginning of Sept. Clear from the graphs.

He died from COVID. He was on a placebo.

They really need to make an official announcment rather than unknown source. Just one line like yours above should suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭beenhad

I've looked for these job vacancies on HSE website and none advertised! Was there a closing date? Are they still looking for staff

• Advertisement

The fella who died in the Oxford trial was on a placebo.

That's good to hear, was looking pretty grim that coincidence given the tiny amount of people that young who die of covid

They really need to make an official announcment rather than unknown source. Just one line like yours above should suffice.
    They did make an announcement. They said the trial is not affected. That means it was a placebo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Reading through this thread today, the vast majority have retreated into their confirmation bias, on all sides. Try to read something that doesn’t feed your preconceived perception, whatever that may be. It may not change your view, but will at least inform you of some of the facts that you may not otherwise see because you choose to not look, and maybe give you the perspective that everything isn’t always black and white

"All sides Father? What other sides are there?"

"False sides?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

forumdedum wrote: »
    I wouldn't trust Putin with anything.

Why, because Sky News tell you as much?

The Russians have a vaccine, the media just don't that getting out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Thinking a resort in SE Asia myself for the week after Christmas and into the new year. I've no problem self isolating for 2 weeks in January. Poxy month anyway.

We are banned from most Traditional SE Asian tourist countries, such as Thailand, Vietnam etc. So good luck with that idea.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement