Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

niallo27 wrote: »
    We should have been overrun last Sunday, we were told 2 weeks ago we would be overrun in 2 weeks. Can you explain why we weren't overrun. Restrictions were the same.

what?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

speckle wrote: »
    ADE?
    placebo?

Placebo is something they give in trials. One half gets the vaccine the other half gets something else. Think they compare the two groups and hopefully the group that got the vaccine has better outcomes. I think that's it.

ADE is antibody dependent enhancement. I think this is where your own antibodies work against you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

The fella who died in the Oxford trial was on a placebo.

Is there anything official about him on a placebo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The fella who died in the Oxford trial was on a placebo.

A meningitis vaccine is hardly a placebo.
    A source familiar with the matter told Reuters that the trial would have been suspended if the volunteer who died had received the COVID-19 vaccine, suggesting the person was part of the control group that was given a meningitis vaccine.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-brazil-vaccine-idUSKBN2762MO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Once again - great graphs on breaking news.ie. Sweden v us is extraordinary, And to think some think Greece is a problem.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/covid-19-in-ireland-latest-county-by-county-data-1021367.html

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Computer Science Student

Been off boards for a while, curious what is the general narrative in here?

Lockdown desperately needed to happen, save lives at all costs narrative or death curve flatline narrative?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Lockdown desperately needed to happen, save lives at all costs narrative or death curve flatline narrative?

Over reaction

Level 3 enforcement would have been
    enough

Not given enough time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

WB

Depends on who you ask

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

The Russians have a vaccine, the media just don't that getting out there.

You mean the Russians stole a vaccine. We have the exact same vaccine but it is rightly in Phase 3 trials still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Some believe the biggest coincidence in the history of humankind happened when cases skyrocketed just after they crammed one million people indoors in poorly ventilated schools with no social distancing.

Other than that, no news really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

On this thread it ranges from there is a problem but probably an over reaction as it came down to lack of enforcement On house parties etc. To let’s call in the army, implement curfews and build a wall with NI.

Once again - great graphs on breaking news.ie. Sweden v us is extraordinary, And to think some think Greece is a problem.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/covid-19-in-ireland-latest-county-by-county-data-1021367.html

The comparison between ourselves, Finland and Norway would be the one I would be wondering about in terms of numbers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭majcos

Placebo is something they give in trials. One half gets the vaccine the other half gets something else. Think they compare the two groups and hopefully the group that got the vaccine has better outcomes. I think that's it.

ADE is antibody dependent enhancement. I think this is where your own antibodies work against you.
    I don’t know the context of the original use of the abbreviation of ADE but in medication trials usually refers to Adverse Drug Effect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭FrogmanBegins

manniot2 wrote: »
    I wonder did the authors envisage a situation where unelected public sector workers would be deciding what the "common good" is, with little or no balance and proportionality, and dissenting voices squashed.

You can already see it here with the usual posters acting like the public morals brigade wagging the finger at everyone else. This has to be the last lockdown. Things need to get back normal by mid 2021.

The current situation is economically and socially unsustainable. It's easy to lecture people on the internet but when people can't pay the bills or the mortgage then you can expect the #holdfirm routine to get old very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Just something anecdotal. I'm not particularly pro or anti lockdown, for the record.

Anyway. I mentioned months ago in the thread I've had urgently needed surgery cancelled due to the virus back when it first started to hit ireland. I finally had said surgery today.

And unfortunately because of the nature of my health issue, that additional wait of around 8 months has resulted in my condition worsening so much that when they cut me open, they had to abandon the planned procedure, do another procedure, and now I need another major operation in 6 weeks, because that additional waiting time caused far more damage to happen inside my body. They also found "lumps" that shouldn't be there so now I've had biopsies done too.

All I can say right now is the HSE can go and ****e. I'm lucky, because if my delays caused that much damage to me, what the HELL have they done to cancer patients and patients with worse illnesses than myself?

This is an absolute disaster for non-covid patients who've had treatment put off for so long.

I think you may be over doing the drama here.

Ventilators are now required much less in the treatment of patients as doctors have learned more about the virus.

Unless you have a life threatening underlying condition you are really highly unlikely to die from the virus.

Will our hospitals really 'get overrun with Covid 19 patients'? Last time we heard this, we invested millions in booking up private hospital beds only to leave them empty. An over reaction to what we feared could happen but which never materialised (except in our imagination).

Our media tend to focus on the worst case scenarios. Every outbreak, every local spike in infections, all the worst countries. While the scenes from some areas in Northern Italy in March/April were scary, this was not and is not the norm by any means. (I was recently in Rome - it was very relaxed).

We don't hear much about places like Vietnam (where my daughter currently lives) where life is back to normal with no restrictions and hardly any cases at all.

We need some balance to all the hysteria and blanket negativity. Covid 19 is nasty. It is dangerous to old people, those with severely compromised immune systems and the severely obese. They need to be protected.

The rest of us need to get on with living.

****ing hell you're a brave man for saying that Deus.

PmMeUrDogs wrote: »
    Just something anecdotal. I'm not particularly pro or anti lockdown, for the record.

Anyway. I mentioned months ago in the thread I've had urgently needed surgery cancelled due to the virus back when it first started to hit ireland. I finally had said surgery today.

And unfortunately because of the nature of my health issue, that additional wait of around 8 months has resulted in my condition worsening so much that when they cut me open, they had to abandon the planned procedure, do another procedure, and now I need another major operation in 6 weeks, because that additional waiting time caused far more damage to happen inside my body. They also found "lumps" that shouldn't be there so now I've had biopsies done too.

All I can say right now is the HSE can go and ****e. I'm lucky, because if my delays caused that much damage to me, what the HELL have they done to cancer patients and patients with worse illnesses than myself?

This is an absolute disaster for non-covid patients who've had treatment put off for so long.

I'm sorry to hear that that's ****ing unacceptable and unforgivable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Why, because Sky News tell you as much?

The Russians have a vaccine, the media just don't that getting out there.

I rarely watch Sky News.

A bit long in power to be trusted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭majcos

HSE operations report 21/10

As of 8pm, 309 confirmed cases in hospitals.
    35 in ICU with 22 of those ventilated
    0 ICU deaths last 24 hours
    35 available beds

aziz wrote: »
    When is this happening,love to see Tony get tore a new one

I must say seeing the fat bald prick getting it in the neck would be the only Christmas present I'd need.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Sorry to hear about that, same thing happened my grandad. Had prostate cancer diagnosed in February, very common for men his age and no big deal, totally operable. But the tumour became very large during the pandemic due to postponed treatment. When they began radiotherapy again in June the now much larger tumour did not respond to the treatment that would have worked during early growth stage. Unfortunately it is now inoperable. He has been given hormone treatment which has helped for now but unfortunately looks like he has had 5-10 years of his life taken away due to covid restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

yes no and everywhere in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Is there anything official about him on a placebo?

Wouldn't exactly call it official.
    A participant who died during a trial of AstraZeneca Plc’s Covid-19 vaccine in Brazil hadn’t received the company’s shot, according to a person familiar with the matter.

The person asked not to be identified because the information isn’t public.

Let's hope it's confirmed soon that he was on a placebo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

I must say seeing the fat bald prick getting it in the neck would be the only Christmas present I'd need.

Feck, I was after getting you an elf on the shelf. Hope I kept the receipt.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry to hear that that's ****ing unacceptable and unforgivable.

I'll get on with things and hope my biopsies are clear and my next operation works because that's all I can do.

But ffs, I can only imagine the danger more seriously ill patients are facing right now. How hospitals essentially cut off treatment to so many people is an absolute disgrace. Whoever was behind these decisions will have blood on their hands IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Spain and Argentina both passed one million cases today, France and Columbia will also be the 7th and 8th countries to reach 1 million cases in the next 2-3 days

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about that, same thing happened my grandad. Had prostate cancer diagnosed in February, very common for men his age and no big deal, totally operable. But the tumour became very large during the pandemic due to postponed treatment. When they began radiotherapy again in June the now much larger tumour did not respond to the treatment that would have worked during early growth stage. Unfortunately it is now inoperable. He has been given hormone treatment which has helped for now but unfortunately looks like he has had 5-10 years of his life taken away due to covid restrictions

I'm so, so sorry to hear that. The government/hse need to be held accountable for this decision. Best wishes to you and your grandad

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Computer Science Student

Just leaving this here as a reminder that any daily cases time series is completely disingenuous.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/full-list-covid-19-tests-per-day?time=2020-02-20..latest&country=~GBR

Apologies away with the fairies got it right, this sort of ADE situation was what I was potentially concerned about
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41564-020-00789-5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

****ing hell you're a brave man for saying that Deus.
    He never mentioned long covid and how it affects even asymptomatics.
    Latest is that antibodies don't last in everybody, if anybody.
    My wife is from the US, two of her friends contracted covid in April. They got tested for antibodies in June and both had them. They got tested again last week and only one has them now.

Of those known to have contracted the virus on more than one occasion most uav got a mire severe dose second time around.

Blondini wrote: »
    Feck, I was after getting you an elf on the shelf. Hope I kept the receipt.

There ain't much for the elf to see me do other than sit at my desk all day. I'll take a voucher though 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Anyone else notice a lot of shops staying open because they have suddenly become essential services ..
    A shop close to me who would class themselves as a gift shop .. candles and likes well a lot cheap tat more on the lines of a euro shop has it on Facebook they are allowed stay open because they sell PPE ( cheap face masks)
    Another textile shop pulling the same stunt and are suddenly selling PPE style products.
    A lot of places seemingly trying to find loop holes..

eagle eye wrote: »
    My wife is from the US, two of her friends contracted covid in April. They got tested for antibodies in June and both had them. They got tested again last week and only one has them now.

Of those known to have contracted the virus on more than one occasion most uav got a mire severe dose second time around.

I think regards to antibodies they're supposed to fade after a while. It means the covid is fully gone from your system and t cells attack any future infection. I'm open to correction on this though

I'll get on with things and hope my biopsies are clear and my next operation works because that's all I can do.

But ffs, I can only imagine the danger more seriously ill patients are facing right now. How hospitals essentially cut off treatment to so many people is an absolute disgrace. Whoever was behind these decisions will have blood on their hands IMO.

We're essentially running our health service for and entirely around covid. It's unsustainable. I don't believe for a second we should let covid rip but the price we're paying now is too much

eagle eye wrote: »

Antibodys are not the be all and end all of our amazing immune situation. I thought there wss less than 6 documented cases of re infection last time I looked 2 who had it harder the second time after mild cases the first time and one death from a terminal cancer patient in their 80s. Stand to be corrected as everything moves so fast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think regards to antibodies they're supposed to fade after a while. It means the covid is fully gone from your system and t cells attack any future infection. I'm open to correction on this though

The T-cell thing is interesting but there's nothing definitive about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

harr wrote: »
    Anyone else notice a lot of shops staying open because they have suddenly become essential services ..
    A shop close to me who would class themselves as a gift shop .. candles and likes well a lot cheap tat more on the lines of a euro shop has it on Facebook they are allowed stay open because they sell PPE ( cheap face masks)
    Another textile shop pulling the same stunt and are suddenly selling PPE style products.

loop holes.. trying to stay afloat morelike, fair play to them

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

harr wrote: »

Absolute vermin.. Why can’t they stay home holding firm to save lives? I’m fully in favour of detention facilities that will process these reprobates into complient citizens. Works well in China, time we sent a task force to find out how things are done.

Paddygreen wrote: »
    Absolute vermin.. Why can’t they hold firm to save lives? I’m fully in favour of detention facilities that will process these reprobates into complient citizens. Works well in China, time we sent a task force to find out how things are done.

good god

• Advertisement

Absolute vermin.. Why can’t they stay home holding firm to save lives? I’m fully in favour of detention facilities that will process these reprobates into complient citizens. Works well in China, time we sent a task force to find out how things are done.

I love you paddy. I want you to know that should I potentially die in some horrific accident tomorrow.

Unless the gift shop has popped up in a nursing home, I'm pretty sure the customers will be safe. Do people really not look at the figures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Sounds like Paul Reid needs to hand in his resignation notice fast and take ineffective middle management with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,548 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Welcome to The Iron Curtain for the next 6 weeks or longer, it won't be easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Our Nation has passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

That's just not going to happen in any democracy, so it's a bit of a pointless discussion.

In terms of what is and isn't an essential service, that needs to be defined. One person's essential is another person's frivolous purchase.

I've seen nothing beyond a fluffy reference to "essential retail"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭perrito caliente

Can you still eat/drink outside?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Sounds like Paul Reid needs to hand in his resignation notice fast and take ineffective middle management with him.

Never going to happen. The issue is not with the CEO it is with the fiefdoms and Unions within the HSE and I include consultants in that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Welcome to The Iron Curtain for the next 6 weeks or longer, it won't be easy.

#Stay Home
    #Stay Safe

• Advertisement

Can you still eat/drink outside?

No, takeaway only

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement