Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Can you still eat/drink outside?

In your own back garden, yes if you fancy it. At a table in front of a restaurant, not so much...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

We lost everything because Micheal Martin has a 2 inch dick and is afraid of Mary Lou McDonald

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Reid has to resign or be sacked from the HSE. Its been a clusterf*ck from the get-go.
    What do you have to do to be sacked in the public sector or from the HSE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Welcome to The Iron Curtain for the next 6 weeks or longer, it won't be easy.
    I thought it was the twitching curtain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

We lost everything because Micheal Martin has a 2 inch dick and is afraid of Mary Lou McDonald

Doubt he even has one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Never going to happen. The issue is not with the CEO it is with the fiefdoms and Unions within the HSE and I include consultants in that too.

It would be a start. They need to start cutting from the top. The ineptitude and mismanagement is a disgrace and if it doesn't happen soon, it never will. Ideally the whole shambles of the HSE needs to be scorched, start again, we will always be on the precipice of disaster if we continue with this setup. Total reform needed. This is the last chance saloon, if we don't get our act together and make rapid changes and cut off the head of the serpent we will continue to suffer. If Stephen Donnelly or the government aren't willing to do their part, they should step aside, they cannot continue to demand compliance while refusing to address the elephant in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

0.15% of CZ's population tested positive today. Surely the record for highest case total per capita of any country in the world in the world since March

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭majcos

I think regards to antibodies they're supposed to fade after a while. It means the covid is fully gone from your system and t cells attack any future infection. I'm open to correction on this though
    Depends on the disease. First come IgM antibodies which can last a few weeks. If test positive for IgM antibodies, infection is active or quite recent. Then come IgG antibodies which can last long term months to years to an entire lifetime. It is relatively easy to measure antibodies so testing for this is cheaper and more available. In some diseases, the antibody levels drop but that does not mean all immunity is gone. The upstream components of the immune system that have been triggered by the first infection are still there but dormant.

T cell immunity consists of helper cells that help B cells to produce antibodies and cytotoxic cells that directly kill infected cells. When they are first triggered, they take a while to kick in. However, once triggered, memory cells can then lie dormant but react faster and stronger if the same attacker or virus comes along. If virus attacks again, antibodies are produced more quickly and perhaps at higher levels and infected cells are mopped up more rapidly. These cells are more difficult to measure so testing is not done routinely for these type of cells.

For some diseases, even if antibodies are gone, memory T cells still exist that can react to provide some immunity to a second infection but it is technically harder to measure and quantify this type of immunity than it is to measure antibody levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

I thought it was the twitching curtain?

Surely it's one of those heavy blue anti infection curtains they have in hospital wards?

Can you still eat/drink outside?
    You must be living somewhere caliente. It’s been raining for the last 48 hours where I am. My sandwich would be very soggy if I tried to eat it outdoors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

In your own back garden, yes if you fancy it. At a table in front of a restaurant, not so much...

Personally I think people should be restricted to one hour in their back gardens per day. There is just too much temptation to do old normal stuff like spark up the bbq and invite people over. People who will inevitably arrive with bags of Galahad or some other intoxicating brew. Fun + Covid19 = Death

440Hertz wrote: »
    Surely it's one of those heavy blue anti infection curtains they have in hospital wards?
    The magical soundproof ones that give complete privacy and confidentiality when pulled around a patient in a six bedded room?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

World-first coronavirus test can detect superspreaders, infectious rate

https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavirus/health/worldfirst-coronavirus-test-can-detect-superspreaders-infectious-rate/news-story/297a3b4b233fd482523726028946efba

Also CDC study suggests Covid-19 can be passed in brief interactions:

Previously, the CDC described a close contact as someone who spent 15 minutes or more within six feet of someone who was infectious. Now, the agency says it’s someone who spent a cumulative 15 minutes or more within six feet of someone who was infectious over 24 hours, even if the time isn’t consecutive, according to an agency spokesperson.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/10/21/cumulative-time-covid-19-spread/

I always thought this to be the case, if you have repeated interactions with someone shedding virus, shouldn't matter if it is less than 15 minutes, if it is culminatuve. I think they need to drop this whole 'if you're 2m away from people you don't need to wear a mask' on its head, reiterate the importance of wearing mask in indoor spaces or crowded areas, 2M is simply not enough without it.

ETA: added second link and removed duplicate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

majcos wrote: »
    The magical soundproof ones that give complete privacy and confidentiality when pulled around a patient in a six bedded room?

Well to be honest there is nothing in this world that can muffle or silence the hospital fart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

That gave me a great giggle before bed. nite all
    May the sun shine tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭perrito caliente

You must be living somewhere caliente. It’s been raining for the last 48 hours where I am. My sandwich would be very soggy if I tried to eat it outdoors.

Beautiful day down south!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

HSE operations report 21/10

As of 8pm, 309 confirmed cases in hospitals.
    35 in ICU with 22 of those ventilated
    0 ICU deaths last 24 hours
    35 available beds

15 down on this morning. Any reduction is helpful in maintaining capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Queried

How common are muscle aches on their own as a symptom of covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MOR316

Never going to happen. The issue is not with the CEO it is with the fiefdoms and Unions within the HSE and I include consultants in that too.

I am flabbergasted he even has a job that high in the first place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Paddygreen wrote: »
    Personally I think people should be restricted to one hour in their back gardens per day. There is just too much temptation to do old normal stuff like spark up the bbq and invite people over. People who will inevitably arrive with bags of Galahad or some other intoxicating brew. Fun + Covid19 = Death

100% agree.

There needs to be a help line similar to the welfare fraud line to report these people.

The fact is we need to be a zero covid Ireland by Christmas. If that means fining, or even locking up these Covidiots, then so be it. Social distancing has gone out the window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

^^^ Mr Tony won't be happy

Fact-check: first video is tonight. The previous one was posted 17 Oct.

s1ippy wrote: »

These saps don't realize the longer this goes on the more the government has to borrow, it will be their generation paying for it.

They’re in “last hurrah” mode. The test of this will be in the days from now on. If there are still scenes like that, we’ve a problem.

I wonder if we’ll see the pro-virus, anti reality brigade out protesting on Saturday and whether the Gardai will actually do anything if they do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

He says he was in the city (Dublin, I assume, since he's posting about Grafton Street) at 6:30pm and it was busy. So was I, and I thought it was really quiet - except for restaurants/pubs which were full. Full as in 15 people outdoors.

I'm just saying if you record a video at what is arguably one of the busiest spots in the country, there's going to be people (and buskers). If they can record a similar video from tomorrow on, then there's some work available for the Gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Great to see people living their best life's. I'll be doing the same myself this weekend. Miss the lockdown party's

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

440Hertz wrote: »
    They’re in “last hurrah” mode. The test of this will be in the days from now on. If there are still scenes like that, we’ve a problem.

I wonder if we’ll see the pro-virus, anti reality brigade out protesting on Saturday and whether the Gardai will actually do anything if they do?

The Chinese have the right idea. Detention and Re-education will be the only solution when dealing with the uncooperatives going forward...

• Advertisement

No they don’t have the right idea. They’re an authoritarian state with no concept of human rights.

If covid management though social distancing works in Ireland it will be primarily be by people voluntarily cooperating to get through it and making it work because they want to and because they care, not because they’re being threatened by an all powerful state that will force them into submission.

This is a depressing and frightening enough mess as it is, without going down that road!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MOR316

The next two inches are crucial

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Josuke

Are house viewings allowed under new restrictions? I can't find a clear answer anywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

MOR316 wrote: »
    The next two inches are crucial

He still manages to screw us all with it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Paddygreen wrote: »
    The Chinese have the right idea. Detention and Re-education will be the only solution when dealing with the uncooperatives going forward...

This kind of thinking is exactly what led to the biggest atrocities on this planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

The next two lockdowns are crucial.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

s1ippy wrote: »

We need more of this. Not less. Let the govt know that we aren’t zoo animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

El Sueño wrote: »
    Source?

His torso

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

We need more of this. Not less. Let the govt know that we aren’t zoo animals.

By behaving like thick animals? Okey Doke Welly.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

Reid has to resign or be sacked from the HSE. Its been a clusterf*ck from the get-go.
    What do you have to do to be sacked in the public sector or from the HSE?

And wasn't he only mocking the British track and trace system not so long ago, too?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

Doubt he even has one.

One inch or one dick. Please clarify.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 114 ✭✭RonaVirus

The youth are a thundering, national disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

RonaVirus wrote: »
    The youth are a thundering, national disgrace.

And their music's shiite.

Bhlarrrgghhh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭prunudo

I know its a minority but some people really don't get it, its a kick in the face to workers, buisness owners, people with cancelled medical appointments and everyone struggling to do their best at present.
    I'm no lover of lockdowns and question the severity of some restrictions and logic of others. But i still respect the virus, keep my contacts down and don't gather in crowded spaces even if outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

One inch or one dick. Please clarify.

Sure he's a langer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

You can travel to Ireland from wherever you want and go wherever you want. However, if you reside in Ireland you're restricted to 5km.

Comedy gold :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There is a queue of over 6km on the N22 approaching the Garda checkpoint in Cork.

It’s those who are simply trying to get to work and having a difficult enough time as is I feel sorry for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

prunudo wrote: »
    I know its a minority but some people really don't get it, its a kick in the face to workers, buisness owners, people with cancelled medical appointments and everyone struggling to do their best at present.
    I'm no lover of lockdowns and question the severity of some restrictions and logic of others. But i still respect the virus, keep my contacts down and don't gather in crowded spaces even if outside.

And the same people celebrating the parties claim to support/care for those very people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭Allinall

prunudo wrote: »

This is the nub of the issue.

If everyone ( or a large majority of people) did this, then we wouldn't have a fraction of the restrictions we have now.

Unfortunately, a large minority of people are selfish and think they know better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Pretty sure the videos are fake
    1 Is dated 17th
    1 shows not a single.person wearing a mask, so is probably from years ago
    Last one has a comment under saying town was dead.
    Family member was there last night till 6 and closed shop as Grafton st was dead.
    So at 9pm all the pubs closed and everyone ran over to Grafton st for a popup rave?

Seems legit. Get the army in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Fair play to the Gardaí for creating huge delays around the country today for people going to essential work and schools.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement