Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Allinall wrote: »
    This is the nub of the issue.

If everyone ( or a large majority of people) did this, then we wouldn't have a fraction of the restrictions we have now.

Unfortunately, a large minority of people are selfish and think they know better.

Hmmmm.

Selfish pricks will always be selfish pricks and indeed they have played their part.

But make no mistake the majority of the blame goes on inept governance bowing to lobby groups and above all else ignoring science.

The 3 main reasons the virus has reseeded nationally.

1. Pinky Promise Border Control.

2. Encouraging the entire island to move around and even offering money to go on staycation.

3. Not having the balls or foresight to shutter what needs to stay shuttered or limit what needs to be limited, whilst not doing any sort of surveillance on the virus nationally.

Add to that the absolute dumbfúckery of the HSE and you get where we are this morning.

I'd be surprised if there is any easing of restrictions before the 14th of December and even more surprised we are not back into stay at home restrictions 6-8 weeks later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The roads sound very busy out there. A lot of my friends are saying they are still going to work but only 1-2 days a week.

You cannot police without consent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭appledrop

I can tell you here+ now this Level 5 is not going to work.

I have a long commute to work + it was actually busier this morning as more trucks on road.

What do they expect with over 1 million having to travel to school etc.

Its farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭forumdedum

majcos wrote: »
    HSE operations report 21/10

As of 8pm, 309 confirmed cases in hospitals.
    35 in ICU with 22 of those ventilated
    0 ICU deaths last 24 hours
    35 available beds

Are there just 70 ICU beds in Ireland?

forumdedum wrote: »
    Are there just 70 ICU beds in Ireland?

Roughly 290.

Roughly 290.

Thanks. That post said 35 currently in use and 35 remaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭Allinall

GazzaL wrote: »
    Fair play to the Gardaí for creating huge delays around the country today for people going to essential work and schools.

Any evidence of huge delays caused by the Gardai so far this morning?

I am involved in a large transport organisation with over 100 vehicles on the road, and have not heard of any unusual delays so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The rest are being used by non-Covid patients.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Covid_Scam

Like almost everybody here is saying, these IDIOTIC restrictions imposed on people by (excuse me...) idiots, conmen, and brainless heartless politicians, or so-called experts, all of them being bribed by wealthy evil controllers.

All the people, we must realize this scam and hold together and not being pushed and shoved around like we have no rights to even THINK differently. This is Modern slavery folks!!! And it only works because wast majority of the population are afraid and scared to death from nothing more than the seasonal flu :-(

We had flu every year before and we had to live healthily and boost our immune systems in order to prevent ourselves or heal. And all a sudden it doesn't WORK?!! ...and the only thing that works is the ridiculous lockdown and masks?!! Do you people hear how silly and stupid that really sounds?

WE are allowing this to HAPPEN by complying and acquiescing...

And Governments employing SNITCHES??!! Where the hell are we...?

People please, hold together, what they want is to divide us and demonize people like me and hundreds of thousands of others who see through their lies and agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The post is about Covid numbers

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I am involved in a large transport organisation with over 100 vehicles on the road, and have not heard of any unusual delays so far.

In Cork, there’s a 6km queue on the N22. There’s a 6km queue on the N25. It’s taking 40 minutes to get through these checkpoints

There’s a 2km queue on the N71 but this is easier to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Longing

Well my daughter delayed over half hour on the motorway huge tale backs. She would off been late for work. She is always 20mins early every morning her commute take 1hr 15m.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭manniot2

GazzaL wrote: »
    Fair play to the Gardaí for creating huge delays around the country today for people going to essential work and schools.

Put all their resources targeting people who are doing no harm while failing blatantly to deal with proper crime. A very bad sign for this country, shameful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Long tail back on some routes according to RTE news Garda diverting traffic to question drivers. At 8.30/9.00 in the morning it's obvious people ain't heading off on a jolly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Covid_Scam wrote: »
    Like almost everybody here is saying, these IDIOTIC restrictions imposed on people by (excuse me...) idiots, conmen, and brainless heartless politicians, or so-called experts, all of them being bribed by wealthy evil controllers.

All the people, we must realize this scam and hold together and not being pushed and shoved around like we have no rights to even THINK differently. This is Modern slavery folks!!! And it only works because wast majority of the population are afraid and scared to death from nothing more than the seasonal flu :-(

We had flu every year before and we had to live healthily and boost our immune systems in order to prevent ourselves or heal. And all a sudden it doesn't WORK?!! ...and the only thing that works is the ridiculous lockdown and masks?!! Do you people hear how silly and stupid that really sounds?

People please, hold together, what they want is to divide us and demonize people like me and hundreds of thousands of others who see through their lies and agenda.

A wast amount of Russian disinfo :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Christ where to start with this hyperbolic nonsense...modern slavery...lol.
    Covid is not the same as the seasonal flu, that is moronic.
    Where are these government snitches jobs advertised? PAS?
    Your username makes it clear what your agenda is....
    Maybe stick to ranting on facebook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭prunudo

They reduce capacity on public transport, implement a wishy washy level 5 lockdown with more exceptions than not and then wonder why the roads are busy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭bennyl10

people are surprised at check points?

We had these under level 3? If you know you have to be somewhere then leave earlier. This shouldn't be a shock to anyone.

The tailback you endured 2 weeks ago? ya it was always gonna happen again

If you dont have a letter from your employer then stay home.

If you need to get to school/your essential work then go earlier.

Decent sized drop in hospital.

305, 26 in, 36 out.

Is that you Gemma?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Gruffalux wrote: »
    A wast amount of Russian disinfo :pac:

I wonder who putin up to it.

The story on RTE today about the uselessness of these vaccines needs to printed and posted to everyone in this country. We need to wake up quickly, we can ruin the economy/society now for no reason or we can realise that this aint going anywhere and actually live with it!

bennyl10 wrote: »
    people are surprised at check points?

We had these under level 3? If you know you have to be somewhere then leave earlier. This shouldn't be a shock to anyone.

The tailback you endured 2 weeks ago? ya it was always gonna happen again

If you dont have a letter from your employer then stay home.

If you need to get to school/your essential work then go earlier.

Maybe put the checkpoints out at times when people aren't going to work. Anyone travelling to work has been designated essential by their employer, therefore why have guards wasting thier time getting the same answer from tens of thousands of people. Better to deploy them at times when social visitors are out and about.

Colleague was stopped by a guard this morning who just said "I suppose your going to work as well" and waved him on before he even answered. Pointless exercise, and anyone seeking to bypass the restrictions knows exactly which route to take as the guards seem to always set up the checkpoints at the same locations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭OldRio

1 post. I wonder who that could be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Judging by the primary school close to me, either they didn't open or nobody sent their kids in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

manniot2 wrote: »
    The story on RTE today about the uselessness of these vaccines needs to printed and posted to everyone in this country. We need to wake up quickly, we can ruin the economy/society now for no reason or we can realise that this aint going anywhere and actually live with it!

But living with it would also mean lock down when the numbers get too high. Especially in winter months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Is that you Gemma?

Thank the gods for the ignore button on that OP post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Boggles wrote: »

305, 26 in, 36 out.

That’s one person in every 15000 of the population.............not exactly a doomsday scenario.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Reid has to resign or be sacked from the HSE. Its been a clusterf*ck from the get-go.
    What do you have to do to be sacked in the public sector or from the HSE?

You cannot be sacked for incompetence. Don't let any public servant convince you otherwise. I was in the HSE for several years - they don't even do proper performance appraisals. It's a ticket-the-box and everyone gets their time based increments no matter what.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Judging by the primary school close to me, either they didn't open or nobody sent their kids in.

Possible outbreak?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

305, 26 in, 36 out.

Terrific! If this keeps up we’ll be out of 5 quickly!

How are the ICU numbers also? And discharges or passed away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

This is the nub of the issue.

If everyone ( or a large majority of people) did this, then we wouldn't have a fraction of the restrictions we have now.

Unfortunately, a large minority of people are selfish and think they know better.
    I'm not convinced by that at all. If everyone was compliant we would still have significant restrictions.

The post is about Covid numbers

Thanks, I found the wording a little confusing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Terrific! If this keeps up we’ll be out of 5 quickly!

How are the ICU numbers also? And discharges or passed away?

Not released yet. Recorded at 11am reported sometime between 11 and 12

Also what is with the hospital numbers.

324-36+24 is no where close to 305.

Are we talking about 7 deaths in hospital?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Here's a question I'm sure its ok but
    My brother gets his little one minded from 9 to 1 by his mother in law while he is work then on his lunch break collects her and drops her to his own mother for the afternoon , then collects her at 6 , it slightly over 5 k away

Is that seen as ok ?

But living with it would also mean lock down when the numbers get too high. Especially in winter months.

Living with it has to be in a sustainable manner as we are in this for the very long term. Keeping people within 5km of their houses is not sustainable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

My brother gets his little one minded from 9 to 1 by his mother in law while he is work then on his lunch break collects her and drops her to his own mother for the afternoon , then collects her at 6 , it slightly over 5 k away

Is that seen as ok ?

The majority of Guards have cop on. I doubt there'll be an issue except with a few here which should be ignored.

It would appear as grim as it sounds, like before not everyone is being afforded ICU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Is that seen as ok ?
    Yes, for childcare.

Tell him he isnt allowed to stop for a chat or have a cup of tea though.

The premise of the report that the RTE story is based on is the the study designs are setup to only detect reduction in mild cases, not severe cases. And while this is true, this is a function of the underlying stats and not that they don't foresee a reduction in severe disease.

If a vaccine developer enrols 10,000 patients in a trial, they may only expect to see 5% of those actually exposed to the virus in that time (probably much less). That's 500 potential cases. But of those only 25 would be potential severe cases requiring hospitalisation. That's a tiny sample size to draw any statistical conclusion on. So they use the larger number, the mild cases to complete the statistical analysis. The same mechanism should work across the population though.

The stats say, to detect a 50% reduction in severe cases you would need 384 candidates, therefore with 5% hospitalisations and 5% of the population exposed to the virus, you would need to enroll 150,000 patients in the trial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Living with it has to be in a sustainable manner as we are in this for the very long term. Keeping people within 5km of their houses is not sustainable.
    Of course it isn't sustainable.
    But other places have tried it (and for a much longer time) like Melbourne.

That’s less terrific

Sadly it appears so and isn’t what we need to be seeing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The stats say, to detect a 50% reduction in severe cases you would need 384 candidates, therefore with 5% hospitalisations and 5% of the population exposed to the virus, you would need to enroll 150,000 patients in the trial.
    Good post. And we know for a fact that only one patient on the Oxford trial has died of Covid because it was sensationally reported this week. Now that unfortunate person (28 year old doctor btw) was in the placebo group, but if we have to wait for another 100 people to die to get data we could be waiting years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

You're right that it's not sustainable.
    Neither is letting it out of control. There's no best answer to this sadly.

You can't keep locking everything down while at the same time you have to lockdown when he cases are spiking.

• Advertisement

Is that seen as ok ?

If only one of granny's minds. Technically you could drive to a house 100km away for childcare

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

It would appear as grim as it sounds, like before not everyone is being afforded ICU.

Tell me about it, numbers truly are terrifying. Its like Telly Bingo hosted by the grim reaper. I literally feel like I have seen a ghost every time I see George Lee, the sheer sense of terror I feel afterwards has me in the want of a stiff drink. Thank you sweet Jesus for RTE, supplying us with the truth like they say in their ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Thank the gods for the ignore button on that OP post
    Out of curiosity: How did you achieve that?
    That poster had only one post, so you had to read the post in order to put him/her on ignore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You can't keep locking everything down while at the same time you have to lockdown when he cases are spiking.
    You still need to look to your experts to find smarter ways of managing things, adding new tools and of looking beyond just models. One narrow strategy only is a recipe for disaster on so many fronts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

If we had actually enforced the lower level of restrictions and/or made an effort to increase hospital capacity we wouldn't need to have the much harsher ones now in place.

Instead those of us who have been paying heed to the restrictions have to deal with this nonsense thanks to the incompetence of the government/HSE.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement