Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

copeyhagen wrote: »
    Pretty sure the videos are fake
    Last one has a comment under saying town was dead.
    Family member was there last night till 6 and closed shop as Grafton st was dead.

This is 100% not true.

I don't know about the validity of the video but also don't understand why people come on and talk absolute sh!t.

Was on Grafton St last night between 7.15pm and however long it takes to walk from Stephens Green down to College Green.

To say "Grafton St was dead" is basically just an outright lie.

The street was pretty busy but I wouldn't say "packed".
    A few buskers out with small crowds gathered around them.

Small crowds gathered on some of the side streets that have people sitting outside. Not exactly particularly busy but could in no way be described as dead.

Except for down at the corner with Suffolk Street.
    A couple of dudes there playing guitars with a crowd across the entire width of Grafton Street with a lot of people drinking from plastic cups.
    Outside so I am sure this is OK but it was definitely busy.
    Still you have to weave your way through that crowd, brushing against them etc.

To the right towards Nassau Street there was a smaller crowd gathered.
    To the left along Suffolk Street it was pretty busy with a decent crowd of people gathered around.

To say Grafton Street was dead is a flat out lie and if that video was shot down the bottom end of Grafton then it is probably legit. It was getting busy down there just after 7pm for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Listening to Newstalk now and Donnelly waffling big time. Pat sticking it to him about the golf. I don't play golf but it is stupid not to allow it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

bennyl10 wrote: »
    people are surprised at check points?

We had these under level 3? If you know you have to be somewhere then leave earlier. This shouldn't be a shock to anyone.

The tailback you endured 2 weeks ago? ya it was always gonna happen again

If you dont have a letter from your employer then stay home.

If you need to get to school/your essential work then go earlier.

I'll bet you even wear those jackboots to bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/covid-19-contact-tracing-debacle-it-was-a-once-off-says-health-minister-donnelly-as-10000-close-contacts-slip-the-net-39653780.html
    Covid-19 contact tracing debacle: 'It was a once off' says Health Minister Donnelly as 10,000 close contacts slip the net
    Thousands not informed of potential exposure to virus

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

If we had actually enforced the lower level of restrictions and/or made an effort to increase hospital capacity we wouldn't need to have the much harsher ones now in place.

Instead those of us who have been paying heed to the restrictions have to deal with this nonsense thanks to the incompetence of the government/HSE.

Hospital capacity should have been increased. Had six months to do something... Ultimately tho, in my opinion, the real people to blame are those who didn't take it seriously.

House parties... Ignoring all the guidelines. You know the people who didn't give a f--k.

Take that guy who started the chain of events to infect 56 people. Didn't quarantine and then one of the people who he gives it to in turn, she goes to a house party while awaiting her results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Akabusi wrote: »
    Listening to Newstalk now and Donnelly waffling big time. Pat sticking it to him about the golf. I don't play golf but it is stupid not to allow it.

Theres absolutely zip difference between playing golf and going for a walk though a nice park. You just happen to be hitting a ball during that time. It is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭forumdedum

I don't find Donnelly impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Pat sticking it to him about the golf. I don't play golf but it is stupid not to allow it.

The Govt have based their decision on Golfgate rather than on the merits of risk involved in playing the game itself.

is_that_so wrote: »
    You still need to look to your experts to find smarter ways of managing things, adding new tools and of looking beyond just models. One narrow strategy only is a recipe for disaster on so many fronts.

That's the thing .... Locking down all the time without improving things is narrow minded.

Saying that things should never lockdown is extremely narrow minded too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It is that one size fits all approach and rather than having individual bodies lobbying, shutting them all down just leaving everyone unhappy but treated the the same is the simplest approach. This has to be 6 weeks only. If as is expected it goes on longer the appetite for this bludgeoning approach will wane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭manniot2

Donnelly boasting about us "leading the way in Europe". Is he fooking mental or just stupid.

That's the thing .... Locking down all the time without improving things is narrow minded.

Saying that things should never lockdown is extremely narrow minded too.
    One can argue that the government has developed a strategy, a pretty piecemeal one at best, but NPHET too need to offer up much more than just pronouncements on the disease.

hmmm wrote: »
    Good post. And we know for a fact that only one patient on the Oxford trial has died of Covid because it was sensationally reported this week. Now that unfortunate person (28 year old doctor btw) was in the placebo group, but if we have to wait for another 100 people to die to get data we could be waiting years.

Therefore, it will be a rushed vaccine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

manniot2 wrote: »
    Donnelly boasting about us "leading the way in Europe". Is he fooking mental or just stupid.

Given his trampoline nonsense earlier in the year I'd say it's the latter.

polesheep wrote: »
    Therefore, it will be a rushed vaccine.

So you advocate not taking the vaccine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭embraer170

marno21 wrote: »
    There is a queue of over 6km on the N22 approaching the Garda checkpoint in Cork.

It’s those who are simply trying to get to work and having a difficult enough time as is I feel sorry for.

Where on the N22 is that?

Time for someone to set up a Website with info on Garda checkpoints?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Longing

Stephen Donnelly said this is a "pre-emptive strike"

I have still tears running down my eye's. Is he for real. Your Pre Emptive strike Stephen let cases surge from under 350 cases a day two weeks ago to over 1,200 a day.

He is full of ***t

• Advertisement

Hospital capacity should have been increased. Had six months to do something... Ultimately tho, in my opinion, the real people to blame are those who didn't take it seriously.

House parties... Ignoring all the guidelines. You know the people who didn't give a f--k.

Take that guy who started to chain of events to infect 56 people. Didn't quarantine and then one of the people who he gives it to in turn, she goes to a house party while awaiting her results.

The biggest problem is that we are relying on people to behave in a sensible fashion when there are just too many out there who either just don't care or a too damn stupid to use a bit of common sense.

Last week a relative of mine was posting on whatsapp about having a fever and a chesty cough etc. Did she get tested? Nope. Did she go to church while she had these symptoms? Yes, she did.

Now, she may have been lying and seeking attention but at the end of the day there will be many like her out there.

You can pretty much guarantee that in the final rush to get stuff done yesterday, before things close, you'd have a few hundred people out there who know they have symptoms but are willing to take the chance because they want to get stuff before the lockdown starts.

The truth is we need people to be smart and responsible and careful at a time like this. Hahaha. It's laughable when you actually think about it. Like you just know thats too much to ask from some of these absolute morons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I can see Dr Daly being "resigned" fairly soon for letting that cat out of the bag.

So you advocate not taking the vaccine?

I don't advocate at all. I will decide for myself whether or not I should take it. Everyone else can decide for themselves.

Longing wrote: »
    Stephen Donnelly said this is a "pre-emptive strike"

I have still tears running down my eye's. Is he for real. Your Pre Emptive strike Stephen let cases surge from under 350 cases a day two weeks ago to over 1,200 a day.

He is full of ***t
    He is a very self-motivated individual who writes his own press releases!

I can see Dr Daly being "resigned" fairly soon for letting that cat out of the bag.
    He's a GP, who got a call from someone. This may not be untrue but it does make you wonder where he's going with it, apart from outrage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Maxpfizer wrote: »
    The biggest problem is that we are relying on people to behave in a sensible fashion when there are just too many out there who either just don't care or a too damn stupid to use a bit of common sense.

Last week a relative of mine was posting on whatsapp about having a fever and a chesty cough etc. Did she get tested? Nope. Did she go to church while she had these symptoms? Yes, she did.

Now, she may have been lying and seeking attention but at the end of the day there will be many like her out there.

You can pretty much guarantee that in the final rush to get stuff done yesterday, before things close, you'd have a few hundred people out there who know they have symptoms but are willing to take the chance because they want to get stuff before the lockdown starts.

The truth is we need people to be smart and responsible and careful at a time like this. Hahaha. It's laughable when you actually think about it. Like you just know thats too much to ask from some of these absolute morons.

Actually the biggest problem is its asymptomatic nature, which means that lad could have affected many many more by just sitting on a plane unawares.

That makes it almost impossible to trace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭forumdedum

manniot2 wrote: »

He should go to Europe sometime (when safe) and see how far behind we are here.

Signs of stability - green shoots but not an established trend.

530138.JPG

530139.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭bennyl10

I'll bet you even wear those jackboots to bed.

Ah yes. Realism is just awful.
    Of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nightmare.
    They need a protocol to deal with this, such as transferring out the staff and patients who are covid-free and bringing back in all the Covid+ staff who are able to work.
    With PPE the viral load should be minimised for everyone, and it's not ideal. However, it would avoid reaching a scenario where nursing homes are discovered abandoned and unstaffed, as happened in Spain back in March.
    Longing wrote: »
    Your Pre Emptive strike Stephen let cases surge from under 350 cases a day two weeks ago to over 1,200 a day.
    Cases would have reached 1,200 a day either way.

Calling it a "pre-emptive" strike is a kind of sand-bagging now in case the numbers don't turn out as bad as were forecast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

is_that_so wrote: »
    He's a GP, who got a call from someone. This may not be untrue but it does make you wonder where he's going with it, apart from outrage.

26 elderly with Covid in a home with only 1 nurse and 1 carer available to mind them for past 72 hours - maybe he wants for them to get help rather than simply to provoke ''outrage''?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,974 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

26 out 28 residents #COVID + . Only one Nurse and Carer available in last 72 hrs as all other staff positive .

Surely this can't be proper procedure, they must be able to source staff from somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭bennyl10

530138.JPG

530139.JPG

So the incidence it self is growing?
    But the growth rate is levelling slightly in the short term?

forumdedum wrote: »
    He should go to Europe sometime (when safe) and see how far behind we are here.
    Actually looking at how things are going in Europe he can claim that. It's still a PR message to make us feel better.

Maxpfizer wrote: »

Totally agree.
    That's why a part of me agrees that we need lockdown. It's like you're dealing with children. Idiots or a-holes who just don't care. The only way to deal with them is restrict things. Problem is you're also effect people who are taking things seriously.

Ahh... All I know is this whole Corona virus has made me realise how people are a-holes. Lol. Not everyone but there's a lot walking the streets out there.

Those who think Corona doesn't exist....
    Those who think it was made by the "new world order" as a way of "control"
    ... 5g.
    ... Those who want to get it up for others by not wearing a mask.

This world is a mad :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Whether you agree or not with the decision this week, should at least be accountable for misleading the public

https://www.buzz.ie/amp/news/tony-holohan-says-full-lockdown-wont-be-necessary-if-second-covid-19-wave-hits-ireland-373680?__twitter_impression=true

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Thanks Raind.

Are you basing the first on notified cases?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

wadacrack wrote: »

Didn't they completely shut their schools down? Be interesting to see our method with schools open in comparison.

Gruffalux wrote: »
    26 elderly with Covid in a home with only 1 nurse and 1 carer available to mind them for past 72 hours - maybe he wants for them to get help rather than simply to provoke ''outrage''?
    How did a nursing home with 2 carers stay open? If it's public that's a HSE problem, if it's private it's HIQA so why didn't they or he go through the proper channels?

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Ah yes. Realism is just awful.
    Of course.

Putting checkpoints up when people are going to work and school is realism now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Jim o Callaghan one of the first politicians coming out to say that we need to accept people are going to die in a trade off for the economy not collapsing. On Claire Byrne now

Actually the biggest problem is its asymptomatic nature, which means that lad could have affected many many more by just sitting on a plane unawares.

That makes it almost impossible to trace

I understand that but there is a level of personal responsibility involved and people need to step up.

If we take masks, for example. Nobody can force people to wear one and that's fine. I don't really think the government should be able to force people to wear one or tell people that they can't have visitors etc. However, I do want to take personal responsibility for myself and others so I see what's going on, I see the guidelines and I do what I can.

Too many are just taking the attitude of thinking they won't be told what to do and not giving a damn about other people.

We could have easily cut the case numbers right down if everyone was playing their part. Not zero obviously but we could have kept the numbers down and kept the rate of increase down too.

Now we look forward to another round of job losses etc because people are incapable of doing the right thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Didn't they completely shut their schools down? Be interesting to see our method with schools open in comparison.

I assume by "interesting" you mean "complete shítshow"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Yeah poor man is ****ed now

Like the young Doctor in Adare who treated his patients with Vit D, antibiotics etc instead of sending them to clog up hospitals, his quote of masks dont help was taken out of context and he was fired

Even if he made a mistake joining mask protest, he meant well and done good for his patients

Lockdown is a complete joke

Expirementing with kids in Schools and letting residents in Nursing homes to die and closing every SME in the country and letting GAA go on

I am out of this lockdown, going 80km to Killarney today to walk Torc waterfall on my day off

Closed my mask wearing gym for no reason

Gruffalux wrote: »

One nurse and one carer for 72 hours? That's simply not possible, no one could stay on their feet for 72 hours, never mind work. There is a lot more to this story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭Allinall

Whether you agree or not with the decision this week, should at least be accountable for misleading the public

https://www.buzz.ie/amp/news/tony-holohan-says-full-lockdown-wont-be-necessary-if-second-covid-19-wave-hits-ireland-373680?__twitter_impression=true

What's misleading?

This lockdown is nothing like the first one.

Schools open.
    Construction open.
    Hardware and DIY shops open.
    Inter-county GAA going ahead.
    Various health services which were stopped in March
    5k exercise limit instead of 2k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

One nurse and one carer for 72 hours? That's simply not possible, no one could stay on their feet for 72 hours, never mind work. There is a lot more to this story.
    The residents do sleep.

It is possible, they would sleep when the residents sleep.

You'd be utterly shagged though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

differential effect across subpopulations from isreal hmmmmmm

that statement would have me worried

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Surely this can't be proper procedure, they must be able to source staff from somewhere.
    And this is one example why the HSE is such a disaster in Ireland. Even with the thousands of middle-management folder-holders in the well-funded organisation, they cannot even figure out how to carry out basic healthcare processes in this country.

Quoting the full tweet from the doctor this morning:
    Just received a phone call from Nursing Home . 26 out 28 residents #COVID + . Only one Nurse and Carer available in last 72 hrs as all other staff positive . 1 person has died and another very ill. Nursing Home Say no help available from @HSELive
    This is an absolute disgrace, and those on the top should hang their heads in shame. Donnelly should resign, as he has shown that he is not capable to do the job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

What did the Israeli authorities close?Seeing as you are justifying a lockdown.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement