Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Boggles wrote: »
    According to Public Health, Glynn when he was acting CMO wrote to Reid 3 times to relay the concerns about contact tracing.

According to Reid himself he didn't notify the Health Minister.

But he is sorry and will aim for 60%-70%.

He should be fired out of a fúcking cannon.

Would Ryanair take over contact tracing, only half joking, they have a vested interest in seeing work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Boggles wrote: »
    According to Public Health, Glynn when he was acting CMO wrote to Reid 3 times to relay the concerns about contact tracing.

According to Reid himself he didn't notify the Health Minister.

But he is sorry and will aim for 60%-70%.

He should be fired out of a fúcking cannon.

And if he hadnotified Donnelly he in turn probably wouldn't have bothered letting the Taoiseach know.

Supercell wrote: »
    That's quite sad, this is supposed to be a free country, he has a different opinion which should be countered with facts not threats to stop him practising medicine which he is qualified to do. It undermines the HSE/NPHET when they lash out like a petulant child in this way.

The medical council is not the HSE/NPHET. It's an independent regulator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its not near as severe as Lockdown 1.0 but I don't think its supposed to be. That was literally stay in your house unless you need food or medicine. Loads still open today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I suspect the almost global, intermittent lockdowns may be having a teensy weensy effect too !!!
    Of course they are bad but the longer the lockdown the worse it gets..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Can someone explain the logic of people not being allowed to play golf, tennis, heck even swim in a pool full of chlorine. The health benefits of these activities which involve no contact with others far outweigh the benefit of their closure.

rob316 wrote: »
    Its not near as severe as Lockdown 1.0 but I don't think its supposed to be. That was literally stay in your house unless you need food or medicine. Loads still open today

Incremental steps. I fully expect a further tightening in a couple of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

rob316 wrote: »

It never could have been. They always knew that they would only get one shot at that.

Can someone explain the logic of people not being allowed to play golf, tennis, heck even swim in a pool full of chlorine. The health benefits of these activities which involve no contact with others far outweigh the benefit of their closure.

Thought tennis Ireland had announced last night that clubs could remain open?

Edit: I see TI put out a statement just 5 minutes ago telling clubs to suspend all activities with immediate effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,974 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Can someone explain the logic of people not being allowed to play golf, tennis, heck even swim in a pool full of chlorine. /QUOTE]

You could probably say the same about a lot of 'nonessential retailers,' libraries, cinemas etc. If you make an exception for everything you'll end up with a very porous lockdown...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

That is a fitness to practice issue. If I said the same things without evidence, my regulator (the PSI) would be questioning my fitness to practice. He took the coward's step of resigning rather than standing up for his convictions. If I held so steadfast views, I'd welcome my day in the tribunal.

Also, the medical council is not the HSE.

What has his opinion got to do with his fitness to practice? How many complaints had they received from patients? There were none mentioned in their letter, only complaints from other doctors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

You’d have to start to consider Reid’s position being untenable now. Not letting the Minister for Health know that tracing has basically collapsed is criminal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Supercell wrote: »
    That's quite sad, this is supposed to be a free country, he has a different opinion which should be countered with facts not threats to stop him practising medicine which he is qualified to do. It undermines the HSE/NPHET when they lash out like a petulant child in this way.

4 jobs gone and hundreds of patients without a doctor now, for daring to question the status quo.

polesheep wrote: »
    That would be one of the criteria I would use. Another would be the fact that I am not in an at-risk group. I also would be reluctant to take a rushed vaccine until it had been in general use for a period of time and demonstrated to be safe. Nothing unreasonable there. If, on the other hand, I was very vulnerable, I would be first in the queue.

Reasonable. You wouldn't be offered the vaccine early doors anyway though as you are not an at risk category.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You’d have to start to consider Reid’s position being untenable now. Not letting the Minister for Health know that tracing has basically collapsed is criminal.
    Not sure about that, he's not the only one not telling him things!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭harr

The problem with golf is not walking around the course on your own it the groups of normally lads who would get together and play and probably car pool to drive to the course I would presume club house would need to be open as well .. same goes for swimming pool , most have have an hour’s session at a time so it would mean a lot of people using changing rooms at same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

The more I think of it the more I think this lockdown wont do much. So much still open.

I was very militant during the last lockdown and I am considering still visiting my partner who is about 10KM away so if I am considering that the people who were less likely to comply the first time must not even consider sticking to it this time

Did Reid say he didn't tell him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

is_that_so wrote: »
    Not sure about that, he's not the only one not telling him things!

There’s a big difference between not telling “things” and not saying “oh ya by the way our entire tracing system collapsed for the weekend”

What has his opinion got to do with his fitness to practice? How many complaints had they received from patients? There were none mentioned in their letter, only complaints from other doctors.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/coronavirus-in-ireland-marcus-de-brun-claims-healthy-people-should-not-be-wearing-masks-l929n8hwd

Likely this, his comments aren't scientific in nature and are a risk to public health. Rather than apologise and say he got it wrong. He resigned his registration to save his reputation/ been recorded as been "struck off".

In my opinion, if he went to tribunal and refused to admit he was wronga bout his mask convictions, he would have been struck off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭manniot2

Mcdaid talking sense on newstalk despite Pat's best efforts to interrupt him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

rafi bomb wrote: »
    The more I think of it the more I think this lockdown wont do much. So much still open.

I was very militant during the last lockdown and I am considering still visiting my partner who is about 10KM away so if I am considering that the people who were less likely to comply the first time must not even consider sticking to it this time

I was also very strict with everything up until now i suppose, being told to continue working in school with 700 close contacts and in the same breath telling me i cant travel outside 5km to go mountain biking in the woods by myself is not sitting too well. Its the whole mixed message that they are sending out, this thing is okay but this is not even though it should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Reasonable. You wouldn't be offered the vaccine early doors anyway though as you are not an at risk category.

I imagine I'll be well down the list, which is as it should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

4 jobs gone and hundreds of patients without a doctor now, for daring to question the status quo.

How you question things actually matter. Especially if you have a position of responsibility. This is entirely different from disagreeing (or agreeing) with the status quo.

Even if there was no covid it kind of felt like a matter of time before things came to a head.

harr wrote:
    The problem with golf is not walking around the course on your own it the groups of normally lads who would get together and play and probably car pool to drive to the course I would presume club house would need to be open as well .. same goes for swimming pool , most have have an hour’s session at a time so it would mean a lot of people using changing rooms at same time.
    You share a ball in tennis even outdoors.
    No need for a clubhouse to be open for golf. No need to car pool either. I'm struggling to find an issue with playing golf.
    Swimming pools in Ireland are indoors so there's a problem.

Why did they leave Cavan out?

They didn't do anything. I didn't include Cavan. I included notional and Dublin originally. Added Donegal by request, Cork by request and Galway because I live there. I can add Cavan, but in a few days Cavan will be falling and somewhere else rising. Including all counties would be a bit of an eye chart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

rafi bomb wrote: »

They can easily make it work

PCR Tests are at a sensitivity of close to 40 now I believe

Drop that to low 30's you'd catch 4-5 times less positives

Don't put anything past this to Government to not be proved wrong ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Maxpfizer wrote: »

To say Grafton Street was dead is a flat out lie and if that video was shot down the bottom end of Grafton then it is probably legit. It was getting busy down there just after 7pm for sure.

my uncle owns a shop on grafton st, shut it at 6pm as grafton st was dead, as I said before.

so whos lying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭JimToken

manniot2 wrote: »
    Donnelly boasting about us "leading the way in Europe". Is he fooking mental or just stupid.

'Leading the way'

It's one of those phrases advertisers use

It can never be proven you're not doing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Guess it's easier to extend and roll back if needed than constantly extend it but still seems like we're in this for the long haul

https://twitter.com/MichealLehane/status/1319226660286320641

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭quokula

I was also very strict with everything up until now i suppose, being told to continue working in school with 700 close contacts and in the same breath telling me i cant travel outside 5km to go mountain biking in the woods by myself is not sitting too well. Its the whole mixed message that they are sending out, this thing is okay but this is not even though it should be.

Depriving you of mountain biking in the woods isn't depriving the entire nation's children of their education though. And if they allow mountain biking in the woods and nothing else, then those woods are going to get very crowded. So they better allow other things in other places. And next thing you know there's no point in the lockdown at all.

Did didn't do anything. I didn't include Cavan. I included notional and Dublin originally. Added Donegal by request, Cork by request and Galway because I live there. I can add Cavan, but in a few days Cavan will be falling and somewhere else rising. Including all counties would be a bit of an eye chart.

Out of curiosity with Cavans rate being so high how long do you think it would have taken for their cases to flatten due to lack of available uninfected hosts?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

That is another thing. Schools still open and work still on ( as it seems everywhere has classed themselves as essential apart from pubs, gyms and clothes shops) but you cant see 1 other person.

You would get more buy in if you could do the a household bubble with one other household

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

copeyhagen wrote: »
    my uncle owns a shop on grafton st, shut it at 6pm as grafton st was dead, as I said before.

so whos lying

Who knows. Maybe you are looking at the wrong times. Maybe things picked up after your uncle shut up shop.

One person is talking about a packed grafton street at 7PM. You say your uncle saw a quiet grafton street at 6PM. Both of those could be true without any lying.

eagle eye wrote: »
    You share a ball in tennis even outdoors.
    No need for a clubhouse to be open for golf. No need to car pool either. I'm struggling to find an issue with playing golf.
    Swimming pools in Ireland are indoors so there's a problem.

If the government closed everything but Golf the populist parties would have a field day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

manniot2 wrote: »
    Donnelly boasting about us "leading the way in Europe". Is he fooking mental or just stupid.

Best boys in the class again woohoo

First to go for a second national lockdown of over a month

Probably the slowest country to ease restrictions in Europe the first time around

Expect the same if not worse this time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

quokula wrote: »
    Depriving you of mountain biking in the woods isn't depriving the entire nation's children of their education though. And if they allow mountain biking in the woods and nothing else, then those woods are going to get very crowded. So they better allow other things in other places. And next thing you know there's no point in the lockdown at all.

getting out by myself on a bike for 2 hours is literally the only thing keeping me sane going into work in school at the moment, i live in a rural part of ireland so my sport doesnt draw huge crowds.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Out of curiosity with Cavans rate being so high how long do you think it would have taken for their cases to flatten due to lack of available uninfected hosts?

It's extremely high, but there's still 99 uninfected for every infected.

I suspect the standard 60-70% you need for herd immunity is a lot lower in the current world though. For herd immunity it needs 60-70% of people who are either a) frontline workers and in regular contact with the public by necessity or b) people who ignore the rules. Which you'd expect might be closer to 10% of the total population at a wild guess.

getting out by myself on a bike for 2 hours is literally the only thing keeping me sane going into work in school at the moment, i live in a rural part of ireland so my sport doesnt draw huge crowds.

If it was the only thing anyone in the country was allowed to do then the crowds would get pretty big pretty fast. Which means other things would have to open, which means bye bye lockdown, hello health service collapse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

quokula wrote: »

Other countries are managing to switch to online schooling, at least in part. Why can't we? This all or nothing narrative that we need to have schools open as normal or kids are going to be deprived of their education doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

It wouldn't be easy, but nothing about this whole situation is easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,311 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Eod100 wrote: »
    Guess it's easier to extend and roll back if needed than constantly extend it but still seems like we're in this for the long haul

https://twitter.com/MichealLehane/status/1319226660286320641

All that does is save a signature every few weeks, lazy really but can easily be rolled back.

There was a period of 24hrs i think in September where they forgot to sign in the continuation of the health act so technically for 24hrs pubs in Dublin for example could have opened and nothing could have been done about it.

All this does is extend out the deadline that was signed previously of 9th November. The level 5 stuff on fines etc remains until 1st December so without the act itself being extended out then everything ceases on the 9th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,543 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

They'll probably blame the GAA for that Grafton St. video as well

Other countries are managing to switch to online schooling, at least in part. Why can't we? This all or nothing narrative that we need to have schools open as normal or kids are going to be deprived of their education doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

It wouldn't be easy, but nothing about this whole situation is easy.
    We don't have one, we don't have the broadband infrastructure and there's little short term possibility of getting either plus it's of no great use for the small ones.

See that doctor who tweeted about the care home is now on Claire Byrne. The nurse in the care home has been on duty on her own for 73hrs straight.

The nurse and owner have been intouch with the HSE to get help and have beentold there is none available. No relief staff can be sourced is what they have been told

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Horrendous story there on Claire Byrne

Im sure there will be some nurses down this evening though

• Advertisement

All that does is save a signature every few weeks, lazy really but can easily be rolled back.

There was a period of 24hrs i think in September where they forgot to sign in the continuation of the health act so technically for 24hrs pubs in Dublin for example could have opened and nothing could have been done about it.

I think this is about conditioning the public that's it's going to be the long haul. The language from government has changed considerably in the past few days.

All this does is extend out the deadline that was signed previously of 9th November. The level 5 stuff on fines etc remains until 1st December so without the act itself being extended out then everything ceases on the 9th.

Yup that's what I thought alright. That said Martin did say virus will be with us for 2021 too. Unless a vaccine gets mass distributed before then or treatment gets developed quickly that seems inevitable.

See that doctor who tweeted about the care home is now on Claire Byrne. The nurse in the care home has been on duty on her own for 73hrs straight.

The nurse and owner have been intouch with the HSE to get help and have beentold there is none available. No relief staff can be sourced is what they have been told

That is horrendously sad.

It's horrific. Was promised that this would never happen again and yet it has.

Turtwig wrote: »
    I think this is about conditioning the public that's it's going to be the long haul. The language from government has changed considerably in the past few days.
    In that case they also need to come up with a far better plan with metrics, otherwise we'll have have half a dozen more pre-emptive strikes between now and June.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement