Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Eod100 wrote: »
    It's horrific. Was promised that this would never happen again and yet it has.

This is the breaking of the dam. Expect similar stories to start emerging.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

See that doctor who tweeted about the care home is now on Claire Byrne. The nurse in the care home has been on duty on her own for 73hrs straight.

The nurse and owner have been intouch with the HSE to get help and have beentold there is none available. No relief staff can be sourced is what they have been told

73 hours?? That is disgraceful, the poor nurse. They deserve far far better then that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

See that doctor who tweeted about the care home is now on Claire Byrne. The nurse in the care home has been on duty on her own for 73hrs straight.

The nurse and owner have been intouch with the HSE to get help and have beentold there is none available. No relief staff can be sourced is what they have been told

So much for "on call for Ireland". A big PR con job from government and HSE.

Lions led by donkeys very much comes to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Don't worry lads there will be a tribunal of enquiry into the handling and response to the present crisis. I going to hazard a guess at the outcomes ,systematic failures, lessons will be learned and our friends from the King's Inn have their economic recovery fast tracked. Happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

quokula wrote: »
    If it was the only thing anyone in the country was allowed to do then the crowds would get pretty big pretty fast. Which means other things would have to open, which means bye bye lockdown, hello health service collapse.

yet gaa (even intercounty) is perfectly acceptable :mad: they can fcuk off in my opinion, ill find a loophole to let me travel within my county and ill use it. They want their cake and to eat it with us working in schools, throw us completely under the buss with regards to safety and indoor numbers, and then stop us doing anything outside of 5km when we finally get home, i need to exercise or i wont be able to keep working to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

yet gaa (even intercounty) is perfectly acceptable :mad: they can fcuk off in my opinion, ill find a loophole to let me travel within my county and ill use it. They want their cake and to eat it with us working in schools, throw us completely under the buss with regards to safety and indoor numbers, and then stop us doing anything outside of 5km when we finally get home, i need to exercise or i wont be able to keep working to be honest.

Graveyards are going to be the busiest they have ever been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The nurse and owner have been intouch with the HSE to get help and have beentold there is none available.

The shocking thing about that is, no one is really surprised.

Let's be honest between that and letting contact tracing collapse, would anyone be really surprised if Reid was on the radio in the middle of December saying...

"Jaysus lads sorry again, we have run out of PPE, we will only get 30% right, 70% wrong".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

37 confirmed cases in icu up from 35 yesterday.

4 admissions and 1 discharge so presumably that's one death in icu.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Turtwig wrote: »
    I think this is about conditioning the public that's it's going to be the long haul. The language from government has changed considerably in the past few days.

To be honest I think its to think long term but there should be the start of a vaccine rollout in Q1 and that changes things.

Our government goes one way in what it says while others go another. Maybe not to build up hope and expectations perhaps but the landscape could potentially be very different very early in 2021

Yup that's what I thought alright. That said Martin did say virus will be with us for 2021 too. Unless a vaccine gets mass distributed before then or treatment gets developed quickly that seems inevitable.

Well you don't need a whole country vaccinated to significantly reduce restrictions but I think they just don't want to say it as then public buy in is further eroded.

I might add that the restrictions surrounding level 5 still lapse on 1st December regardless unless extended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

37 confirmed cases in icu up from 35 yesterday.

4 admissions and 1 discharge so presumably that's one death in icu.

Not necessarily a death,could of been discharged back to an ordinary bed in the ward,hopefully anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

There is an area of 78.627 square kilometers within 5 km of your home - loads and loads of room to exercise - enjoy it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

You’d have to start to consider Reid’s position being untenable now. Not letting the Minister for Health know that tracing has basically collapsed is criminal.

Ramp up testing “We’ve ramped up testing “ this mans mantra for months.

No point ramping up testing if you can’t back it up with tracking and tracing.

Another fraud this lad be better off back with fingal county council

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Im sure theres an army of anti-maskers, itsjustthefluers and people suddenly worried about mental health effects of lockdown, who never gave a ****e before, only too willing to pitch in and help.

And they wont even need PPE gear cause its all a hoax in their minds.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Out of curiosity with Cavans rate being so high how long do you think it would have taken for their cases to flatten due to lack of available uninfected hosts?

At current growth rate in the county (14 day incidence doubling in ca. 6 days in the county), would look like the below - assumes 1% mortality and this is shown on secondary axis due to the scale

530151.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Downlinz

So much for "on call for Ireland". A big PR con job from government and HSE.

Lions led by donkeys very much comes to mind.

Don't forget the nation of clowns who keep electing the same donkeys who have mismanaged our health service for decades.

We're all to blame for the horrendous toil and conditions our brave nurses have to continuously endure. I fear this winter could be the breaking point for many.

There is an area of 78.627 square kilometers within 5 km of your home - loads and loads of room to exercise - enjoy it :)

as has been used for everything else at this stage, doing my exercise (which cannot be done within 5km) is imperative for my mental health.

Not necessarily a death,could of been discharged back to an ordinary bed in the ward,hopefully anyway

It's my understanding that discharges from icu are usually discharges to ordinary wards rather than discharges from the hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

**** sake

Send a few student nurses or something

Good learning experience for those kids

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/coronavirus-in-ireland-marcus-de-brun-claims-healthy-people-should-not-be-wearing-masks-l929n8hwd

Likely this, his comments aren't scientific in nature and are a risk to public health. Rather than apologise and say he got it wrong. He resigned his registration to save his reputation/ been recorded as been "struck off".

In my opinion, if he went to tribunal and refused to admit he was wronga bout his mask convictions, he would have been struck off.

There is literally no scientific evidence that masks work outside of a controlled environment. We've had numerous scientists tell us that wearing a mask incorrectly could be worse than not wearing a mask. The WHO admitted they backed the wearing of masks due to political pressure rather than scientific evidence.

But again, none of that has any bearing on his fitness to practice. He could think the world was flat and the sun revolved around the earth. It wouldn't effect his fitness to practice. He wore a mask in his practice, he had his patients wear masks in his practice and full social distancing in his waiting room.

as has been used for everything else at this stage, doing my exercise (which cannot be done within 5km) is imperative for my mental health.

It's not your exercise. Theres plenty of room for exercise. It's your hobby. Like it or not a lot of us have had to stand down from hobbies.

There is literally no scientific evidence that masks work outside of a controlled environment.

Is it April again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mollser

Surely if they had the rapid testing in place for health care workers, it would have significantly cut down the nursing home issue? Another piece of remarkable ineptitude by our NPHET / HSE overlords.

How The NPHET are managing to land the government in all sorts of bother, when it is the NPHET and HSE that have responsibility for managing track and trace, testing and protecting the nursing homes, is beyond me. Tony is a political animal, I'll give him that. Criticism all directed at the government (who deserve to take some), but none to NPHET that i've heard in the media yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Was stopped at a checkpoint this morning already, I was cycling and the garda was pretty thorough, but quick and friendly. I was fairly chirpy for 7.30am and he looked surprised, it seemed like he'd been getting plenty of grief already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

There is a steel frame of a private hospital that was never built in Tullamore, some of you may have seen it as you drive by the town.

The steel structure is still fine, it is right beside the Midlands Regional Hospital. Just off the M6 and in a central location.

Would it not be prudent of the HSE to purchase this site an build a Covid hospital here ? It appears even with vaccines available we sill still need a to deal with Covid so surly this would make a prefect site for it as it is half built already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

It's horrific. Was promised that this would never happen again and yet it has.

At what point will the HSE be forced into submission and a total rebuild. How bad do things need to be for them to admit that they are failing? Where is their line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Sconsey

There is literally no scientific evidence that masks work outside of a controlled environment. We've had numerous scientists tell us that wearing a mask incorrectly could be worse than not wearing a mask. The WHO admitted they backed the wearing of masks due to political pressure rather than scientific evidence.

But again, none of that has any bearing on his fitness to practice. He could think the world was flat and the sun revolved around the earth. It wouldn't effect his fitness to practice. He wore a mask in his practice, he had his patients wear masks in his practice and full social distancing in his waiting room.

No scientific evidnce? you trying to peddle that nonsense in this thred now because no one will listen to you in the mask thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

At what point will the HSE be forced into submission and a total rebuild. How bad do things need to be for them to admit that they are failing? Where is their line?
    That sounds like a great plan in the middle of a pandemic, scrap the HSE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Is bringing a car for a service to a garage 8kms away allowed under current restrictions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

It's such a ball of spaghetti that no one wants to unravel it. Underneath the expensive HSE logo and re-branding exercise is just a dusty pile of old health boards. Incompatible systems, same reporting structures and lots of layers of management. Tusla is another failed rebrand. It's still the HSE underneath a very thin veil of a new colourful logo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

eigrod wrote: »
    Is bringing a car for a service to a garage 8kms away allowed under current restrictions?

Ah come on. Use your common sense.

mollser wrote: »
    Surely if they had the rapid testing in place for health care workers, it would have significantly cut down the nursing home issue? Another piece of remarkable ineptitude by our NPHET / HSE overlords.

How The NPHET are managing to land the government in all sorts of bother, when it is the NPHET and HSE that have responsibility for managing track and trace, testing and protecting the nursing homes, is beyond me. Tony is a political animal, I'll give him that. Criticism all directed at the government (who deserve to take some), but none to NPHET that i've heard in the media yet.

While I understand your point I'm not sure you understand the rates of false positivity and false negativity from these tests.

I know there are newer fast testing currently being evaluated. Hopefully they work better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,002 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

To be honest I think its to think long term but there should be the start of a vaccine rollout in Q1 and that changes things.

Our government goes one way in what it says while others go another. Maybe not to build up hope and expectations perhaps but the landscape could potentially be very different very early in 2021

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/oct/21/covid-vaccine-immunisation-protection

Well, the real mood music out of NPHET is vaccine is the goal. Rapid tests are being evaluated, slowly, but I get the impression they are not too bothered to go beyond what they've been doing to date as a strategy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

No it wouldn't, because rapid testing is not very accurate. You would have an even worse situation as people with covid would have a high likelihood of a false negative result, which psychologically would result in most people dropping their guard somewhat and becoming more lax with precautions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

There is a steel frame of a private hospital that was never built in Tullamore, some of you may have seen it as you drive by the town.

The steel structure is still fine, it is right beside the Midlands Regional Hospital. Just off the M6 and in a central location.

Would it not be prudent of the HSE to purchase this site an build a Covid hospital here ? It appears even with vaccines available we sill still need a to deal with Covid so surly this would make a prefect site for it as it is half built already

It would take 40 years to build and a cost of 20 billion , the country will probably be underwater then due to global warming.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

It’s so amazo exploring within my permitted exercise circle, done a few laps of Spars car park today, never knew where the wheely bins were kept until today.

It's not your exercise. Theres plenty of room for exercise. It's your hobby. Like it or not a lot of us have had to stand down from hobbies.

it is both my only form of exercise and my hobby, so unless the government get real about this lockdown as opposed to the mickey mouse **** they have done ill be continuing it

Another why aren't people like me posts. Leave them to it. If there's an issue it will be taken care of at the first checkpoint they meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

More political than the politicians themselves - you can see at the FF Ard Fheis, can't you? The big FF head on 'im!

Is anyone keeping a list of NPHET/HSE cock-ups here - and those going back before 2020 too? Is there enough paper/hard-drive space for said list?

• Advertisement

More political than the politicians themselves - you can see at the FF Ard Fheis, can't you? The big FF head on 'im!

Is anyone keeping a list of NPHET/HSE cock-ups here - and those going back before 2020 too? Is there enough paper/hard-drive space for said list?
    Just for clarity NPHET is a temporary entity which can be set up and dissolved by the MoH. It will go eventually although I think there is a strong case for freshening it up at this point.

Have read it and its been discussed a few times over different threads. An opinion piece offering nothing but ifs and buts without efficiency data even being published yet.
    Everyone knows(well they should have a good idea) a vaccine wont end covid, it isn't ending, it'll be an endemic, you'll get your vaccine that should (pending efficency data) reduce the impact therefore reducing pressure on hosptials and normal life begins to resume after time (slowly but surely).

Eventually people will have to wrap their heads around it, it might be a vaccine once a year, maybe every few years, we'll find out.

Full thread on vaccine development and testing etc so don't want to railroad this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Boggles wrote: »
    Is it April again?

In April the WHO and Dr Tony told us not to wear masks.

If masks work why is retail forced to close ?

If masks don't work why are we forced to wear them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I am a retired nurse and believe me that nurse willl stay a week if she is needed . Its horrendous for her /him and the nurse will start making errors and it wont be her /his fault . Its a disgraceful and awful situation to be left in .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Was stopped at a checkpoint this morning already, I was cycling and the garda was pretty thorough, but quick and friendly. I was fairly chirpy for 7.30am and he looked surprised, it seemed like he'd been getting plenty of grief already.

Did he wear a mask and gloves?

the-big-lebowski-1.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,834 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

This isn't surprising. Essential workers and people travelling for essential reasons still need to use public transport. If there's no enforcement of why people are travelling (how could there be when mask wearing can't or isn't being enforced) then not sure what they expected.

https://twitter.com/sandra_hurley/status/1319244876337287170

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-asia-india-54630863

Good to see them busy as ever in hospitals, and yes I am aware this is in India but there are countless videos from the UK of doctors and nurses pouncing about making tick tock videos ...

Then we have this kind of problem! He's back!

https://twitter.com/Orlaodo/status/1319230279337332736

• Advertisement

US2 wrote: »
    In April the WHO and Dr Tony told us not to wear masks.

If masks work why is retail forced to close ?

If masks don't work why are we forced to wear them?

So we are back to April.

Listen, I can't compete with whatever fúcking lunatics you choose to populate your twitter or youtube feed with.

So I'm not going, if that's okay.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement