Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭manniot2

JimToken wrote: »
    Got this stopped this morning

Told garda i was calling to the pharmacy for a health product on my way to the graveyard

Got waved on

very elaborate. why didnt you just say graveyard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭yawhat?

polesheep wrote: »
    No, his opinion is irrelevant. He should be reporting that the HSE state that they are under pressure. He should be impartial and objective. He is clearly neither.

What if he knows that they are not under pressure, and that the HSE are lying. Should he keep that to himself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yeah, HSE person was telling me of the abuse their contact tracers have had.

That's not surprising when they are not able to confirm to the person that they are calling where or when the contact took place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Nermal

circadian wrote: »
    I'm failing to see the problem. Care to elaborate?

If you support the suppression policy (I don't), doctors dancing around on TikTok is a sign your restrictions are too severe. You should be attempting to find equilibrium at the minimum set of restrictions that maximise the use of all available medical capacity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

manniot2 wrote: »
    A key principle of journalism should be scepticism. Especially when dealing with the establishment. Lee is a lap god for Tony.

Sceptism does not necessarily mean adopting a contradictory position. It's a means of rational inquiry. It can involve asking questions. There is however no requirement that these questions adopt a polarised position from the outset. I'd much rather a journalist to ruminate, investigate and enquire than just ask tough questions to placate our desire for perceived "tough" questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

i haven't seen the nursing home plans rolled out after the first time around, but anything short of a complete "bubble" set up would not be fit for purpose.

i.e. the carers basically live in the nursing home or else live at home but have zero social contacts. and tested as regularly as possible on a high priority list. absolute highest level of PPE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Wear a mask, doesn't matter how, just wear one. Fit in. Masks help. :rolleyes:

Is it true you are pretending to have a mental illness so you don't have to wear a mask on the bus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭JimToken

manniot2 wrote: »
    very elaborate. why didnt you just say graveyard?

What are the valid excuses for traveling outside 5km

• Advertisement

Poster with SOHF on Day 1 of Level 5! :D

Are you saying that I missed something? I'm not used to the subtleties of twitter.

JimToken wrote: »
    Got this stopped this morning

Told garda i was calling to the pharmacy for a health product on my way to the graveyard

Got waved on

You obviously didn't have much confidence in the health product.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭1641

Actually I find it quite shocking that people are being asked to put their lives on hold and possibly their income too, without being able to confirm for themselves that it is, in fact, necessary.
    That's not surprising when they are not able to confirm to the person that they are calling where or when the contact took place.

That would require the tracers to

1 Break the law, and
    2 Function as private detectives.

If this is how we are going to deal with the infection rate we might as well stay in lockdown for ever.

yawhat? wrote: »
    What if he knows that they are not under pressure, and that the HSE are lying. Should he keep that to himself?

His short reports are just that, reports. If he uncovers that then there would need to be a detailed investigation and exposure. Not that we'd get that from RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

I know there are lots of reasons to mistrust the HSE. Good reasons.

But contact tracing is kind of black and white (lets leave out schools here).

Contact tracers: "The contact tracing team have determined that you spent more than 15 minutes less than 2m from a person who has tested positive. You need to get a test."

Me: But I don't want to get a test. Tell me the name of the person who has tested positive and then I'll decide whether I need one.

Contact tracers: We can't do that.

Me: Well, I don't trust that you have done this right. The positive person might have misremembered how long I spent in their company, or I might be of the opinion that I was in fact 2m away from them. So I'm not going to get a test. I couldn't really give two sh*ts that it's highly unlikely you're wrong. I'm just going to cling to the fact that you might be wrong, so that I don't need to inconvenience myself. Back to the factory floor I go!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's not but this rarely gets mentioned in the gnashing of teeth about the system supposedly failing. There's little that can be done anyway if people don't conform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Roger_007 wrote: »
    The heavy traffic on the roads could be loads of people visiting graves?

The cold dead silence of the graveyard shattered like a pint glass hitting Grafton st by the trudging footsteps of the damned who are using that as an excuse to go beyond their permitted 5km circle for non essential reasons.

1641 wrote: »
    That would require the tracers to

1 Break the law, and
    2 Function as private detectives.

If this is how we are going to deal with the infection rate we might as well stay in lockdown for ever.

Then the law should have been changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

harr wrote: »
    The problem with golf is not walking around the course on your own it the groups of normally lads who would get together and play and probably car pool to drive to the course I would presume club house would need to be open as well .. same goes for swimming pool , most have have an hour’s session at a time so it would mean a lot of people using changing rooms at same time.

Well you presume wrongly.

Club house and lockers had been closed for level 3 already. And why the heck would you car pool for your < 5km trip to the golf course? Especially with massive golf bag and a trolley to transport too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭patnor1011

yeah, we need aussie or nz style lockdown. Sure....

https://twitter.com/9NewsAUS/status/1318632532716457986

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

No, his opinion is irrelevant. He should be reporting that the HSE state that they are under pressure. He should be impartial and objective. He is clearly neither.

An impartial objective journalist is effectively a parrot for an obviously biased unobjective source. This isn't good journalism either imo. Probably a matter for a different thread though.

• Advertisement

It's not but this rarely gets mentioned in the gnashing of teeth about the system supposedly failing. There's little that can be done anyway if people don't conform.

Then it seems to be yet another system failure from the HSE with, as usual, the people on the frontline getting the abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭prunudo

yet gaa (even intercounty) is perfectly acceptable :mad: they can fcuk off in my opinion, ill find a loophole to let me travel within my county and ill use it. They want their cake and to eat it with us working in schools, throw us completely under the buss with regards to safety and indoor numbers, and then stop us doing anything outside of 5km when we finally get home, i need to exercise or i wont be able to keep working to be honest.

Go for your spin, breathe in the fresh air, enjoy being out the elements. Given your circumstances, the restrictions are even more nonsensical. Don't feel you have to justify your actions on an anonymous web forum. Do what you think is right for you and your health, once you're not effecting others whats the harm, and you're far less likely of catching covid on a solo mountain bike ride in the woods than in a classroom for 6 hrs a day 5 days a week.
    Distance restrictions make no sense what so ever. Contact between people spreads covid, not being x distance from your home.

Turtwig wrote: »
    An impartial objective journalist is effectively a parrot for an obviously biased unobjective source. This isn't good journalism either imo. Probably a matter for a different thread though.

He's just reporting, not investigating. As you say, a matter for another thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

Fungie had an exit strategy. We don't.

JDD wrote: »

Contact tracers: "The contact tracing team have determined that you spent more than 15 minutes less than 2m from a person who has tested positive. You need to get a test."

Me: But I don't want to get a test. Tell me the name of the person who has tested positive and then I'll decide whether I need one.

Me: Well, I don't trust that you have done this right. The positive person might have misremembered how long I spent in their company, or I might be of the opinion that I was in fact 2m away from them. So I'm not going to get a test. I couldn't really give two sh*ts that it's highly unlikely you're wrong. I'm just going to cling to the fact that you might be wrong, so that I don't need to inconvenience myself. Back to the factory floor I go!!

It was all good until the made up nonsense in bold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

At first, when the toaiseach told us on Monday we were going to level 5, and non essential services were to close, I never understood it because there's no evidence of spread happening in non essential retail services. I think outdoor dining would be relatively safe. I was seriously p1ssed off whereas I supported the forst lockdown.

Then yesterday in the news we heard that contact tracing has collapsed, then it all made sense to me. They are trying to reduce community transmissions as much as possible.

Now I'm back to not being able to understand a god damn thing because the lockdown is not really a full lockdown. I was told there's loads of places still open like hardware shops, healthfood shops, etc and I suppose they are essential. There's still a lot of movement from people and it's not a full lockdown so I don't know if it will have the effects that it's supposed to have. Was there something in the news yesterday of some penalties coming in for people going against the guidelines and having parties, not wearing masks, etc. I suppose that will go some way into helping getting the numbers and cases down a bit.

37 confirmed cases in icu up from 35 yesterday.

4 admissions and 1 discharge so presumably that's one death in icu.

Jesus lads, why would you presume that? 4 out of 5 come out ok from ICU.

growleaves wrote: »
    Fungie had an exit strategy. We don't.

"So long and thanks for all the fish".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

And it is attitudes like that is why we're in the mess were are in the first place, it is not an inconvenience to get a test it makes sure your not infected so when you do go back to the floor your not spreading it all over the place and bringing it home to infect your family.

Shin

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

37 today, 35 yesterday. 4 admissions means 2 have left ICU. 1 discharged out of ICU into a non-ICU bed and one death.

• Advertisement

Then it seems to be yet another system failure from the HSE with, as usual, the people on the frontline getting the abuse.
    This sounds like blaming them because it rains too much! Unless we use aggressive East Asian contract tracing we can't force people to comply. GDPR, civil liberties etc. prevent that.

Turtwig wrote: »
    George is the RTÉ science correspondent and I really really REAALLY don't like the way he reports on certain stuff. That said, the job of the journalist is not to ask tough questions for the sake of being tough. It's to ask the questions to investigate and determine the value of truth to something. His conclusion whether we agree with it or not may just be that the system is over pressured. In which case he's perfectly entitled to opine that remark.

Side note : by him sticking up publicly for the tracing teams they'll be more amendable to providing him future info and feedback than if he publicly lynched them.

We may need to tell Claire Byrne.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Lady from the nursing home on radio 1, it's so sad to hear what's happening. And she's positive herself and has symptoms of a head cold. Just goes to show you can't self diagnose.

[/B]

It was all good until the made up nonsense in bold.

Do we have any evidence that contact tracers have called someone who wasn't in fact a close contact?

Not as far as I'm aware.

If you were called by the HSE to say that someone you previously slept with has tested positive for HIV and you need to get a test, would you insist on finding out the name of the person?

Would you refuse to get a test if the name wasn't given to you?

And even if you did all that, would you go on to sleep with someone without protection because you don't want to inconvenience yourself and you have decided that it is likely the original person or the HSE have got your identity wrong?

EDIT: It's all very well saying the law should be changed, but it is an EU law, we cannot unilaterally break it. It is there to protect the your right to other people not knowing your health records. If you're okay with the law being broken in this instance, perhaps you would be fine with your health records being made available to your parents, or employer, or prospective partners??

This sounds like blaming them because it rains too much! Unless we use aggressive East Asian contract tracing we can't force people to comply. GDPR, civil liberties etc. prevent that.

They could always ask for permission from the person who has tested positive to give details to those they are calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Let’s hope that we don’t get the NPHET predicted 64 - 84 additional people with COVID In ICU by Saturday week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Let’s hope that we don’t get the NPHET predicted 64 - 84 additional people with COVID In ICU by Saturday week.

That does seem somewhat unlikely at this stage!

While it's rising it's been a moderately slow increase.

In fairness I asked a stupid question because I'm obviously struggling with basic arithmetics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭manniot2

That does seem somewhat unlikely at this stage!

I wonder will nolan ever get a prediction right? It would really be a great day for himself and his buddy ferguson.

Do we have any evidence that contact tracers have called someone who wasn't in fact a close contact?

Not as far as I'm aware.

If you were called by the HSE to say that someone you previously slept with has tested positive for HIV and you need to get a test, would you insist on finding out the name of the person?

Would you refuse to get a test if the name wasn't given to you?

And even if you did all that, would you go on to sleep with someone without protection because you don't want to inconvenience yourself and you have decided that it is likely the original person or the HSE have got your identity wrong?

Contradiction in bold.

Not everyone has the luxury of a good employer. Some people will lose out more than others if they have to self-isolate.

I'm not against contact tracing, I think it's essential, but I fully understand why some people would want evidence of their close contact before agreeing to self-isolate.

They could always ask for permission from the person who has tested positive to give details to those they are calling.
    I think it's the 14 days that's really annoying people. If ever there was a need for a new tool or strategy it's there. It's a long time not to be sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

What number of cases do you guys think we will be at after 6 weeks lockdown?100 cases a day seems far fetched. I think around 600, hope I'm wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

What number of cases do you guys think we will be at after 6 weeks lockdown?100 cases a day seems far fetched. I think around 600, hope I'm wrong

That depends if people adapt their behavior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

In fairness I asked a stupid question because I'm obviously struggling with basic arithmetics.

We could be wrong. The gap between old icu new icu admissions and discharges could be something else.

People missing from the hospital maybe?:cool::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

With all the outcries from gym, companies and people I predicted this day next week we get an announcement of schools close for a few weeks and back to a march level lockdown

That depends if people adapt their behavior.
    It also depends how many of the lost close contacts have contracted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭1641

I think it totally depends on collective individual behaviours. I would expect it would be nearer the 100 myself if there is a high level of buy-in and compliance, but I suspect compliance will be a lot less this time.

I'm not against contact tracing, I think it's essential, but I fully understand why some people would want evidence of their close contact before agreeing to self-isolate.

Your right to know to prevent having to stay home for three to four days does not outweigh that original person's right to privacy. Sorry. It just doesn't. Even if you genuinely have concerns regarding your employment.

Be honest with the contact tracer. Tell them you can't isolate or you'll lose your job, and take your leave of the conversation. I can't see many employers wanting you about when you tell them that you're a close contact, but that you're coming into work anyway.

I suspect that most of those that are arguing the toss on the phone with the contact tracers are just f*ckin nosey, and want to find out who they caught it from. They also don't want to take the test because it's uncomfortable. That's it I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Nermal

The lockdown will only fail due to lack of will on the people's part. It's people that are driving these cases up so we do have to take a collective blame here instead of pointing the finger at the government the whole time.

If a strategy depends on an abundance of will from the people, and it's perfectly obvious to all of us that this will doesn't exist, is the problem with the strategy or the people?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement