Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭manniot2

That depends if people adapt their behavior.

it will depend on how sensitive they set the tests at the time and also how much spread happens in schools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

I was in Mullingar earlier and was in one of their shopping centres were a particular retail chain who only sells clothes and has a few stores around the country were open as normal. Clearly a big FU to the restrictions and to the people and also other businesses who are abiding by the new restrictions. Also, just incase someone says it, no it wasn't for click an collect. It was open for anyone to walk in and out with a couple of people in there browsing when I passed by. I'm probably not allowed name the company here but these should be named and shamed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

What number of cases do you guys think we will be at after 6 weeks lockdown?100 cases a day seems far fetched. I think around 600, hope I'm wrong
    The question will be what do NPHET think? Their track record on easing of restrictions is not great. Personally don't expect it to happen on December 1 and that there will be other reasons not to do so. It's only planned to go back to Level 3 anyway, which will probably stay till Christmas, thus messing up a lot of family Christmases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

shocksy wrote: »
    I was in Mullingar earlier and was in one of their shopping centres were a particular retail chain who has a few stores around the country were open as normal. Clearly a big FU to the restrictions and to the people and also other businesses who are abiding by the new restrictions. Also, it wasn't for click an collect, it was open for anyone to walk in and out with a couple of people in there browsing when I passed by. I'm probably not allowed name the company here but these should be named and shamed.

what do they sell?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

patnor1011 wrote: »
    This lockdown is a comedy gold designed to fail.
    They should instead employ 1000's new doctors and nurses rather than putting 240k people out of work.

Absolutely designed to fail. It will either be renewed on December 1st or else in mid January when we're back at 1200 cases a day.

Meanwhile they can't be arsed providind staff to nursing homes where the problems are, increase ICU capacity significantly and tracking is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

I was in Mullingar earlier and was in one of their shopping centres were a particular retail clothes chain who has a few stores around the country were open as normal. Clearly a big FU to the restrictions and to the people and also other businesses who are abiding by the new restrictions. Also, just incase someone says it, no it wasn't for click an collect. It was open for anyone to walk in and out with a couple of people in there browsing when I passed by. I'm probably not allowed name the company here but these should be named and shamed.

Why aren't you allowed name the company

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭mikekerry

Is it true that people are automatically flagged as covid positive if they don't turn up for tests?
    I've heard it from a few sources.
    Surely this is pushing up the figures but a large amount

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

mikekerry wrote: »
    Is it true that people are automatically flagged as covid positive if they don't turn up for tests?

NO

what do they sell?

Sorry just edited the post now, just clothes, nothing else.
    Why aren't you allowed name the company

Because Boards Mods and Admins don't take to kindly to people naming companies in the wrong. I've seen it in the past. If they can confirm it's okay I'll gladly name and shame the retail chain. I contacted them on their very active social media page about it and was ignored.

Where are these 1000's of doctors and nurses that can be employed, I didn't know there was a pool that big just waiting for employment?

The lockdown will only fail due to lack of will on the people's part. It's people that are driving these cases up so we do have to take a collective blame here instead of pointing the finger at the government the whole time.
    Pointing fingers at people is not an effective strategy and may reduce that will even more. They need to be kept on board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

Sounds like bull

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

What number of cases do you guys think we will be at after 6 weeks lockdown?100 cases a day seems far fetched. I think around 600, hope I'm wrong

Depends what gets classes as a case IMO

PCR testing needs to be substituted in favour of more accurate Means of tracing people who are sick/infected and infections.

Would be good to see hospital and ICU numbers improve but I would hold my breath as it’s coming into the worst time of year for hospital capacity even in non Covid times.

On a side note I’m sitting in my car about to collect the kids from school, Clusters of parents standing around chatting in close proximity, one lady has just jumped into the car in front for an old chin wag out of the cold.
    I don’t see case numbers coming down too much!

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I was in Mullingar earlier and was in one of their shopping centres were a particular retail chain who only sells clothes and has a few stores around the country were open as normal. Clearly a big FU to the restrictions and to the people and also other businesses who are abiding by the new restrictions. Also, just incase someone says it, no it wasn't for click an collect. It was open for anyone to walk in and out with a couple of people in there browsing when I passed by. I'm probably not allowed name the company here but these should be named and shamed.

Pennys or TK Maxx?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭mcburns07

600 after 6 weeks would be an absolute disaster and result in Level 5 being extended a few weeks at least. It's very unlikely that it will be that ineffective.

Talk of non compliance is off the mark too, most people will do their bit to reduce the spread.

mcburns07 wrote: »
    600 after 6 weeks would be an absolute disaster and result in Level 5 being extended a few weeks at least. It's very unlikely that it will be that ineffective.

Talk of non compliance is off the mark too, most people will do their bit to reduce the spread.

Well first 2 weeks is already set and we could be near 2000 by then so not really a disaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,650 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I don't know if this should be in the TA thread in Afterhours or Cries of Coronavirus in Ranting and Raving, but getting the Salthill bus into the city centre, on the journey there and back, two couples on the bus, one sitting in the crossed off seats. OK bus was fairly empty but at the same time it bloody irks me that the couples can't sit on window seats across from each other.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Today is a bad day in the hospital. Frightening how much staff are off through close contacts/positive tests. Currently trying to get through to occy health to see if I need to self isolate. ****!

mloc123 wrote: »
    Pennys or TK Maxx?

Neither of them two, but one of the other stores in that shopping centre.

F*ck it. It was DV8 Fashion. I'd be interested in knowing if the rest of their stores are open around the country today.

On a side note I’m sitting in my car about to collect the kids from school, Clusters of parents standing around chatting in close proximity, one lady has just jumped into the car in front for an old chin wag out of the cold.
    I see the same out my window now, all very relaxed and shooting the breeze.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Today is a bad day in the hospital. Frightening how much staff are off through close contacts/positive tests. Currently trying to get through to occy health to see if I need to self isolate. ****!

Yeah, I've heard similar from a few hospitals in Dublin alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭1641

I heard that if you pass within 500 metres of a testing centre you are counted. I am staying home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Well first 2 weeks is already set and we could be near 2000 by then so not really a disaster

Level 3 impacts are just kicking in now and they seem to have relatively stabilising effect without bringing numbers down. So i expect we have peaked at around 1,300 daily cases. I hope i am right but it will stay at that kind of level for about 2 weeks and then hopefully drop from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

1641 wrote: »
    I heard that if you pass within 500 metres of a testing centre you are counted. I am staying home.

That's wrong, it's 500 feet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

There's 150 staff including 50 porters out sick in the CUH.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

F*ck it. It was DV8 Fashion. I'd be interested in knowing if the rest of their stores are open around the country today.

Google says the shop is open in Fermoy, whereas other shops Google page says they are temporarily closed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

I don't know if this should be in the TA thread in Afterhours or Cries of Coronavirus in Ranting and Raving, but getting the Salthill bus into the city centre, on the journey there and back, two couples on the bus, one sitting in the crossed off seats. OK bus was fairly empty but at the same time it bloody irks me that the couples can't sit on window seats across from each other.

They live together, sleep together so what would them sitting separately on the bus archieve?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It was DV8 Fashion.

Never heard of them. :confused:

tenor.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Not down here but I've heard this is the policy in the North.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭boetstark

Here in limerick most stores open on o connell Street and surrounding streets. Only ones closed are big name ie penny's and bt. Counted 4 pound shops open loads of people walking around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Heard they are staying opened because they sell work gear so they have labelled themselves essential

• Advertisement

Google says the shop is open in Fermoy, whereas other shops Google page says they are temporarily closed

Also says it's open for Mullingar. I'd take that with a pinch of salt though as to what google says as stores may not have updated their opening hours to temporarily closed yet, but as stated they were definitely open for full business with people browsing inside and someone buying something at the till.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

is_that_so wrote: »

They should be absolutely terrified, cowering in their cars for fear of catching Covid19. I still see some people doing old normal things on my way to Spar each morning and it makes me want to vomit. Laughter (more droplets) particularly annoys me during these incredibly sobering and grim times. Keeping a good eye on the neighbors anyway, in case the authorities need any details about their activities going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

boetstark wrote: »
    Here in limerick most stores open on o connell Street and surrounding streets. Only ones closed are big name ie penny's and bt. Counted 4 pound shops open loads of people walking around

The pound shops sell products that deem them essential (cleaning products, some DIY stock, animal food etc.

mcburns07 wrote: »

I think deliberate non-compliance is definitely a minority - but more of a minority than it had been. But there are lots of people who think of themselves as compliant but still do there own "little thing", thinking they are safe, eg, a kid's birhday party. But much non-compliance is because many people have become tired and/or complacent, eg,

Heard they are staying opened because they sell work gear so they have labelled themselves essential

I didn't hear that myself, but I can tell you for cetaintly they don't sell workgear in this store. All just casual clothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

is_that_so wrote: »

Meanwhile the small shop up the road who gets maybe a handful of customers every few hours can't open. If I were a SME owner i'd be wanting to tear this government a new arsehole ..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Haha, their website has one workwear shirt. Hope the shops have more work gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

JDD wrote: »
    Your right to know to prevent having to stay home for three to four days does not outweigh that original person's right to privacy. Sorry. It just doesn't. Even if you genuinely have concerns regarding your employment.

Be honest with the contact tracer. Tell them you can't isolate or you'll lose your job, and take your leave of the conversation. I can't see many employers wanting you about when you tell them that you're a close contact, but that you're coming into work anyway.

I suspect that most of those that are arguing the toss on the phone with the contact tracers are just f*ckin nosey, and want to find out who they caught it from. They also don't want to take the test because it's uncomfortable. That's it I'd say.

There are people who won't be paid if they have to self-isolate and that is a big issue. They are already on low income and may simply not be able to afford to self-isolate. It's an indictment of what we have become as a society.

I've had the test and it isn't even what I would describe as uncomfortable. I had my teeth cleaned in the dentists yesterday and I would gladly have had ten Covid tests instead:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Let it go, life's too short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

We need the R number at .5 to get there. Victoria in Australia had a more restrictive lockdown (closed schools etc) and only got to about .65 in that time. Doesn't bode well given we're keeping schools open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭zinfandel

boetstark wrote: »
    lots bending the rules, if they sell masks and sanitiser they seem good to go.
    a shoe shop selling safety shoes... good to go...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Paddygreen wrote: »
    They should be absolutely terrified, cowering in their cars for fear of catching Covid19. I still see some people doing old normal things on my way to Spar each morning and it makes me want to vomit. Laughter (more droplets) particularly annoys me during these incredibly sobering and grim times. Keeping a good eye on the neighbors anyway, in case the authorities need any details about their activities going forward.

Jesus you are taking this too far or are you working with some security force?

jobeenfitz wrote: »

Just a regular boards poster :D

Is there a Nphet briefing today?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

jobeenfitz wrote: »

Ex FCA. I’m not enlisted atm but still have the uniform in case they need me.

Staffwise, there seems to be a larger cohort of staff catching covid-19 than in March. Troubling for ability of HSE to resist this type of stress. I've come around to the idea that it was a huge error not bringing in level 5 two weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

1641 wrote: »
    Is there a Nphet briefing today?
    A few sore heads if there is. I'm sure they were up all night celebrating their successful coup d'etat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

We could be wrong. The gap between old icu new icu admissions and discharges could be something else.

People missing from the hospital maybe?:cool::pac:

530167.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

There's 150 staff including 50 porters out sick in the CUH.
    Staffwise, there seems to be a larger cohort of staff catching covid-19 than in March. Troubling for ability of HSE to resist this type of stress. I've come around to the idea that it was a huge error not bringing in level 5 two weeks ago.

Are they all testing positive or self isolating due to possible exposure?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Paddygreen wrote: »
    Ex FCA. I’m not enlisted atm but still have the uniform in case they need me.

Your country needs you. Throw on the uniform lad and search out those house parties. Shouldn't be hard found, apparently every second house is throwing one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement