Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

They live together, sleep together so what would them sitting separately on the bus archieve?

I presume that it is so that space is maintained between all passengers.

If two people sit together, the person on the aisle seat is nearer to the person on the seat opposite, than they would be if all passengers used the window seats.
    Also for passengers leaving and boarding the bus, a bit of space is maintained.

Not saying it's right or wrong, but I presume that's why the window seats are the ones that are to be used, and not the aisle seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

They live together, sleep together so what would them sitting separately on the bus archieve?

Maybe they should buy two single beds and move them 2m apart... could be like the 1960s again :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

shocksy wrote: »
    Neither of them two, but one of the other stores in that shopping centre.

F*ck it. It was DV8 Fashion. I'd be interested in knowing if the rest of their stores are open around the country today.

Maybe Plumb the debts was in stacking the shelfs with PPE and work boots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Maybe Plumb the debts was in stacking the shelfs with PPE and work boots

I prefer you when you are being humourous, no need for smartass digs. Be nice.

Stheno wrote: »
    Are they all testing positive or self isolating due to possible exposure?

A mixture of both but things were fine on Monday and worse than they were in March now (with today been particularly bad). Still can't get through to occy health (which is a sign in of itself)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Haha, their website has one workwear shirt. Hope the shops have more work gear.

The regulations are so daft and what's just as daft is retail owners who don't exploit loopholes.

Could never understand why "wet" pubs couldn't sell sandwiches for 9 euro just to stay open.

Or why clothes shops can't sell builders gloves, boots, shirts etc. If they even branched out and sold shovels, they'd be deemed essential!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Stheno wrote: »
    Are they all testing positive or self isolating due to possible exposure?

Hospital clinical staff only have to self isolate until they get a negative test result (which are same day or next day in hospital). They don't have to remain home for 14 days like other close contacts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Absolutely designed to fail. It will either be renewed on December 1st or else in mid January when we're back at 1200 cases a day.

Meanwhile they can't be arsed providind staff to nursing homes where the problems are, increase ICU capacity significantly and tracking is a joke.

The problem is that Irish trained nurses and doctors tend to leave the country as soon as they are qualified and work abroad. So there are not enough left

If they stayed to serve the country that trained them?
    Even for a few years?

Also large numbers of health care staff off sick with covid.

Wondering too about the privately - owned nursing homes? Do they recruit their own staff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

A mixture of both but things were fine on Monday and worse than they were in March now (with today been particularly bad). Still can't get through to occy health (which is a sign in of itself)

This is hard to hear. Yes I think the delay in level 5 is looking like a huge mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I prefer you when you are being humourous, no need for smartass digs. Be nice.

Ah theres always the odd dig here and there.

I'll get the expert to apologise

0011d99d-531.jpg

Im this much sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Graces7 wrote: »
    The problem is that Irish trained nurses and doctors tend to leave the country as soon as they are qualified and work abroad. So there are not enough left

If they stayed to serve the country that trained them?
    Even for a few years?

Wondering too about the privately - owned nursing homes? Do they recruit their own staff?

Not to personal but I remember that you lived abroad or maybe are not originally Irish, it just seems to me like you have expectations of others, I don't think it would be fair not to give them the choice to see other parts of the world when young

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Theres a serious lack of compliance out there - its actually quite funny seeing all the "essential" shops open just because they sell a face mask or hand sanitizer.

However I did predict that compliance in level 5 restrictions would not be adhered to. One day in and its like theres no lock down at all!!!!

Our idiot over lords havent got it wrong again have they??

It wouldnt be the first time - case tracing failures,failure to plan for a second wave, Golfgate, 2 ministers resigning,U turns every couple of weeks, a taoiseach that doesnt even know how to speak in public (maybe hes retarded or something), A Tanaiste who just plays populist politics, a health minister who doesnt know whats going on in his department.

If i did half the **** ups this lot did Id be sacked on the spot.

These are the biggest joke of a government I have ever seen in my life.

What does it take for the electorate to call for their heads??

They just need to call a GE and get on with letting someone with half a brain manage the country and pandemic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,330 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Not to personal but I remember that you lived abroad or maybe are not originally Irish, it just seems to me like you have expectations of others, I don't think it would be fair not to give them the choice to see other parts of the world when young

fwiw I'm Irish and I think if your training was paid for by the State, you should have to work X years in the health service, either public or private (where your taxes will be paying it back). When you consider the cost of training a doctor, it's not sustainable at the moment.

I think this happens in Canada and Australia.
    If you don't want the strings, pay for the training yourself.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Regarding compliance with rules even if they are obvious written down and told to someone you will get approx 10% who won't comply. Even then you can 'talk' 8% into complying or going along but there is always a 1% or so that are a nightmare to deal with and have to be forced to leave or comply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

I presume that it is so that space is maintained between all passengers.

If two people sit together, the person on the aisle seat is nearer to the person on the seat opposite, than they would be if all passengers used the window seats.
    Also for passengers leaving and boarding the bus, a bit of space is maintained.

Not saying it's right or wrong, but I presume that's why the window seats are the ones that are to be used, and not the aisle seats.

Ok I'll play along.
    If they live together and sleep together we can assume that if one has the virus they are both likely to have the virus right?

Then by separating them they are likely to spread the virus over a wider area, especially as they'll probably end up shouting across the bus at each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Theres a serious lack of compliance out there - its actually quite funny seeing all the "essential" shops open just because they sell a face mask or hand sanitizer.

However I did predict that compliance in level 5 restrictions would not be adhered to. One day in and its like theres no lock down at all!!!!

It wouldnt be the first time - case tracing failures,failure to plan for a second wave, Golfgate, 2 ministers resigning,U turns every couple of weeks, a taoiseach that doesnt even know how to speak in public (maybe hes retarded or something), A Tanaiste who just plays populist politics, a health minister who doesnt know whats going on in his department.

They just need to call a GE and get on with letting someone with half a brain manage the country and pandemic.

He’s not a retard, he is a very special young man who dreamed of being teashock since he was a little lad bouncing on Bertie’s knee. What does Bertie say about dada da virus anyway? Is he cocooning or something. Haven’t seen a trace of him in ages, he usually has an opinion on everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Any swabs today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

1033 positive swabs, positivity rate of 5.8%. 7 day average has dropped to 6.9%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

1040 positive swabs in last 24 hours from a huge 17,856 tests. Positivity rate 5.82%

Last 8 days, up to yesterday, 9252 positive swabs, 9326 positive cases announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

saabsaab wrote: »
    Regarding compliance with rules even if they are obvious written down and told to someone you will get approx 10% who won't comply. Even then you can 'talk' 8% into complying or going along but there is always a 1% or so that are a nightmare to deal with and have to be forced to leave or comply.

Behavioral scientists say that about 20% of the population will do their own thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

1,040 positive swabs on 17,856 tests - 5.82% positivity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭boetstark

I would say after one day this so called lockdown is 50% at best. Had to drive through the city to collect so from school. Loads of people out and about more businesses open than closed. A journey of 18km round trip not a garda to be seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

In the border region where I live you could increase the percentage of non compilers to 80%. They have a border mentality and rules are never for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Benimar wrote: »
    1,040 positive swabs on 17,856 tests - 5.82% positivity

Thats good.... Right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Thats good.... Right?
    Compared to the last 14 days yes that's sort of good, but the standards are quite low

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,631 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I agree. This government will mostly likely be seen as the worst in modern times. It took them 5 months to form the government too. What were they at?

That said I am not sure another election would improve things much. The caliber of candidates is quite poor. The only TDs talking sense are Roisin Shortall (SDs) and Alan Kelly (Lab) and he was the man that made a mess of Irish Water with help from his FG colleagues and Trickle Hogan.

I think they lost hearts and minds with the Clifden elite party after Dara said 'Covid loves to party'. It will definitely have an effect on Level 5 compliance. The levels plan and rollout have been a disaster from Day 1.

To borrow Akan Dukes words in relation to Irish Water....

A glorious, god-awful mess has been made of the Living with Covid plan, we've ended up with a system now that no rational person would have invented if they had sat down to put this kind of system together. The hope must be that it will work lamely until some sort of coherent system is put in place.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

Thats good.... Right?

At least it's not a hugely increased number.

Obvious question is: how many close contacts are being missed, and is that why the positivity rate has decreased?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Yea positivity rate decreases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Thats good.... Right?

Better yes, good in the sense positivity is going in the right direction.

However, its still the 2nd highest actual swab total in the last 4 days, so there is a long road ahead to get things down to the levels we need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Polar101 wrote: »

Obvious question is: how many close contacts are being missed, and is that why the positivity rate has decreased?

Second obvious question. How many close contacts have been identified by individuals doing their own contact tracing that would be considered casual contacts by a professional (theyeby having a lower chance of picking up the virus).

The decrease in the positivity rate has happened for a few days now so we should be positive. Just not too positive.

We have a few Dunnes Stores in our town, one is food only fair enough they need to open, 2 sell both clothing and food again fair enough. Another sells only clothing/homeware and they are staying open by selling tins of quality street and biscuits ffs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

It's believed between 10,000 and 15,000 close contacts were missed over the weekend due to the 'reset' of the system.

It's obviously going to have an impact on the testing numbers as many of them will never end up going for a test.

Conversely, many cautious people who would be inclined to get a test but may not need one have been contacting GP's looking for tests. GP's have stated that they feel they are obliged to send them forward for a test given the issue with contact tracing over the weekend. This will also skew the testing numbers as many of these will return negative results.

It's a mess. People who don't need testing are getting tested while close contacts have been missed. The numbers are pretty useless at the moment.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/covid-19-contact-tracing-debacle-it-was-a-risk-based-decision-we-had-to-make-hse-ceo-paul-reid-regrets-decision-was-made-to-have-covid-19-patients-inform-their-close-contacts-39653780.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Compared to the last 14 days yes that's sort of good, but the standards are quite low

The positivity rate is falling exponentially :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

About 10,000 close contacts will have been missed.

We could crunch the numbers on it, but in general if they don't turn up for tests, we should see testing numbers go down and positivity rates go up.

Mass testing can throw that off though. Any impact from these missed contacts should be relatively small and may not even appear in the stats. But we'll see tomorrow and over the weekend anyway.

Good numbers today. In line with what we'd expect if there's a consistent downward trend. Suggests positivity rate could be 4% by Halloween. That's a long way out though.

They're going to be looking under the couch cushions if they want to announce more than 1,100 cases today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

We have a few Dunnes Stores in our town, one is food only fair enough they need to open, 2 sell both clothing and food again fair enough. Another sells only clothing/homeware and they are staying open by selling tins of quality street and biscuits ffs.

Good on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

The positivity rate is falling exponentially :)

The next two weeks are critical...

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭zinfandel

pretty sure we have been saying that since March, wearing a bit thin...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

odyssey06 wrote: »
    fwiw I'm Irish and I think if your training was paid for by the State, you should have to work X years in the health service, either public or private (where your taxes will be paying it back). When you consider the cost of training a doctor, it's not sustainable at the moment.

I think this happens in Canada and Australia.
    If you don't want the strings, pay for the training yourself.

Exactly, The taxpaying citizens are investing big money in you...

It costs just shy of 300,000 euros to fully train a doctor here.

The public are investing this money in YOU to become qualified for to help THEM here, US ...not to help and treat other people in other countries.

If a person rocked up, said in a pre medical college interview... “ yes my plan is to work hard, get qualified and move to Australia !” I want and expect the interview panel to say.. “ ok, thanks for your honesty. As a result of what you have told us however we need to inform you that you are no longer eligible to participate on this course.”

Also on accepting a place on the course there should be a requirement to sign a contract....

“ on successfully completing my degree I commit to remaining fully available for a minimum period of six years to work within the health services in Ireland, i acknowledge now that failure to do so without good reason will make me liable for the reimbursement of the entire cost of the medical degree. “...

We train doctors not just so they become doctors, but so they help people, here....investing money and expertise in them, so they can use those qualities to help US...

If I give my Hyundai dealer 50,000 for a Santa Fe..l I expect to be able to collect it, drive it and own it. Not given away to someone else. Same principle when WE spend OUR money training doctors .

Maybe we’d be having a better reaction to battling covid if we’d done this.

zinfandel wrote: »
    pretty sure we have been saying that since March, wearing a bit thin...

The next 3 weeks are critical...shake things up a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

seamus wrote: »
    About 10,000 close contacts will have been missed.

We could crunch the numbers on it, but in general if they don't turn up for tests, we should see testing numbers go down and positivity rates go up.

Why up?
    Tests of close contacts are presumably more likely to have positive tests. If these are omitted then if everything else remains more or less the same are you not introducing a bias to tests being less positive than previously?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Strumms wrote: »

We train doctors not just so they become doctors, but so they help people, here....investing money and expertise in them, so they can use those qualities to help US...

If I give my Hyundai dealer 50,000 for a Santa Fe..l I expect to be able to collect it, drive it and own it. Not given away to someone else. Same principle when WE spend OUR money training doctors .

Same should apply to all college degrees. At least partially. Should have to pay Irish taxes for a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I got a call from the contact tracers today to tell me I'm a contact, my husbands test was Monday. They just ask him who his contacts are and what their numbers are. It was actually much more efficent to do it ourselves, me, my kids and friend are already isolated and tested. He was also waiting until today to get his code to upload to the app which is a very long time in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Great to see the numbers decline. Level 3 restrictions kicking in now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

Beanybabog wrote: »
    I got a call from the contact tracers today to tell me I'm a contact, my husbands test was Monday. They just ask him who his contacts are and what their numbers are. It was actually much more efficent to do it ourselves, me, my kids and friend are already isolated and tested. He was also waiting until today to get his code to upload to the app which is a very long time in my opinion

Is he very sick?. Hope you all get over it quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭manniot2

Could we put 20b into protecting the nursing homes instead of locking up healthy people? At some stage we will have to just consider doing this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭quokula

Strumms wrote: »

Pretty sure paying for and owning human beings as if they're objects has been frowned upon for a few hundred years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

There are a lot of people literally waiting for the minute the hub thing updates. I'm assuming as you are in lockdown you don't have a lot to do.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Why up?
    Tests of close contacts are presumably more likely to have positive tests. If these are omitted then if everything else remains more or less the same are you not introducing a bias to tests being less positive than previously?

The more likely contacts to test positive are household contacts however, who, all things being equal, know they are contacts, and the most likely to have a positive test are contacts who have symptoms. Given the issue occurred with results processed at the weekend, these should be showing up independently already as would have been exposed mid to late last week. If the downward trend continues, the contract tracing issue will have had no appreciable impact on the rate, if it jumps back in the next few days, its quite possible it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Beanybabog wrote: »
    Must be a backlog with the app. Checking daily and it's usually around 100-150 people a day uploading their contact IDs. There were 374 uploading their IDs over the past 24hrs.
    Really is no excuse for delays on that front.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement