Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭forumdedum

s1ippy wrote: »
    Ciara comes off as somebody completely detached from reality. She takes the minority, shocker opinion and runs with it against any constructive criticism and everyone backs down because they're like "well I guess you're a doctor". It's nearly like a very tired comedy segment at this stage.

Yes she goes for the minority shocker opinion every time. Highly irresponsible behaviour in these times.

My own former doctor is an absolute asshole. I'm sure he was fine at his job but truly an asshole.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

Every point Ciara Kelly made this morning was correct, and im no fan. Can you please highlight what she said that was incorrect?

manniot2 wrote: »
    Every point Ciara Kelly made this morning was correct, and im no fan. Can you please highlight what she said that was incorrect?

I didn't hear all she said.

Incorrect? Not necessarily but to say she hasn't time to present her own practical constructive solution is pathetic. We can all talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Speaking to lots of "non-essential" businesspeople this morning, most will continue to remain open. Good on them. Zero cases amongst them, why should they shut their doors when schools, off licences and the GAA carry on?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Strumms wrote: »
    40.3 million worldwide cases

1.1 million worldwide deaths , 1852 in Ireland.

Yes , the flu evidently.

1.1 million deaths worldwide. About 800 million infected as estimated by the WHO. About 3 times as bad as the flu. So no, not the flu, but not exactly off by orders of magnitude either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭quartz1

I past a GAA pitch last Saturday around midday . On the field there were mayby 6 or 8 large pods of kids on the playing pitch. However each kid seemed to have a parent and they were all huddled in groups or sitting in cars chatting and have mini socials....very little distancing and not a lot.of masks.

We need the lockdown but its serious for SMEs and self.employed .....if we don't get this right in a few weeks time nothing will have been accomplished

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Lots of non-essential retail can find a way to stay open, especially due to the click-and-collect clause in the text of essential retail
    any other retail outlet that operates an online or other remote system of ordering goods for purposes of collection at the retail outlet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

GazzaL wrote: »
    Speaking to lots of "non-essential" businesspeople this morning, most will continue to remain open. Good on them. Zero cases amongst them, why should they shut their doors when schools, off licences and the GAA carry on?

Gives around a million people a form of escapism at the weekends . Is it just GAA or all sports ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

I hate that expression.
    Just irritates me so much. Overused as you say but I think it's gotten used so much people don't even know the meaning of it..as every week "the next two weeks are crucial"

I think it's something people regurgitate to make them sound more clever or something.

I think its used tongue in cheek these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

People seem to be furious this morning. I think 2 or 3 days ago people were expecting 4 (or 4.5) at most. I met a few people in the local village this morning and overreaction is the prevalent opinion.

And rightly so. There was no reason in the world to ban outdoor dining as an example. There's no evidence that spread is occurring in non essential retail and services. I don't believe that this will target the areas where spread is occurring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    It would be essential to some, but not all, my own physio is just an average joe, dealing with average joe injuries, nothing too serious I'd imagine, I'd imagine most serious injuries would be dealt with via the HSE, and I'd like to think those physio services are still operational, as they would certainly be critical

HSE physio are cancelled - unless you’ve come in off a car wreck. Having said that I’m not sure if it was an option that I’d want to go into an environment where there are two thousand workers milling about and one in four have covid diagnosis. Wouldn’t mind my body parts to be fixed thou - not all illnesses or injuries can be treated or assessed virtually or can be fixed within a few months treatment. I guess A covid diagnosis is the worst of the two evils.

It boils my blood to see so many kids milling around shops and supermarkets - no masks, no parental supervision, not a care in the workd and then all sharing chrisps and bottles of coke outside - its a total joke. Where are their parents? There should be spot fines and covid inspectors with proper powers like they have on the continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

When the gaa hadn’t the foresight or the manners to cancel the championship the government should have done it for them yesterday.
    But I’d imagine a lot of paddywhackery and back patting went on in the background and it got left alone.they should be ashamed of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Gives around a million people a form of escapism at the weekends . Is it just GAA or all sports ?

According to many on here its just GAA members that can spread Covid-19. Soccer and Rugby etc seem to be immune

Boils down to who can make sacrifices in this often me me me world.

I want to protect others and I want to see people who dedicated so much of their time to their businesses survive this.

Some people just don't care. They don't see the long term effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Basically a retail outlet that has a website can stay open if they want

quartz1 wrote: »
    I past a GAA pitch last Saturday around midday . On the field there were mayby 6 or 8 large pods of kids on the playing pitch. However each kid seemed to have a parent and they were all huddled in groups or sitting in cars chatting and have mini socials....very little distancing and not a lot.of masks.

We need the lockdown but its serious for SMEs and self.employed .....if we don't get this right in a few weeks time nothing will have been accomplished

I agree. The issue isn’t so much with the kids, it with the crowds of parents that are accompanying them. I never wanted a lockdown and don’t particularly support the measures, but if we are going to do it, we need to do it properly and not this half-assed lockdown that we are facing into now. Everyone at home....no school, no sport, out only to exercise etc. Or it will have been a grand old waste of time

• Registered Users Posts: 32,717 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

statto25 wrote: »
    According to many on here its just GAA members that can spread Covid-19. Soccer and Rugby etc seem to be immune
    I didn't see huge celebrations, marches etc linked to many football or rugby matches the past few weeks though did you?
    I did see plenty of GAA ones...which were also linked to serious outbreaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

GazzaL wrote: »

Of course you where Walter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

It does seem strange though, if I have this correct, that they allow various sports, and allow school kids to play sports and attend school, that technically I cannot visit my 80yr old mother or even stand in her garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KennisWhale

forumdedum wrote: »

I want to protect others and I want to see people who dedicated so much of their time to their businesses survive this.

"I want", "I want". Pretty selfish and self-righteous. This is exactly the smug, ignorance that doomers portray which has put us in this lockdown fiasco. Hype merchants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Exactly 22 hours from covid test to result. I'm impressed by that, not gonna lie. Negative of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭quartz1

statto25 wrote: »

Gaa County Finals ...junior B to Senior.....Pubs and Clubhouses taking the absolute pi** all summer .

They gave a hand last March but when summer came the decided Restrictions didn't apply to them ...

"I want", "I want". Pretty selfish and self-righteous. This is exactly the smug, ignorance that doomers portray which has put us in this lockdown fiasco. Hype merchants.

I have put you in lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭babyboom

I don't get why people can't see the logic in shutting non essential retail. My daughter works in a shopping centre. It has been packed for at least the last month or more. People out for a day browsing, bringing their kids and letting them run amok in shops. She works in a book shop and she's had customers come in, browse with no intention of buying and then leave their empty coffee cups on top of the books. If she confronts them she gets abuse. There are far too many people who have just returned to normal. I find it very strange that we are in this (hopefully) once in a lifetime pandemic but people are determined to behave as if life is normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

So schools were able to open because there was no wide spread community transmission.
    Level 5 is needed because of widespread community transmission.

I really cannot see how they'll remain open as the critical mass of virus builds.

https://twitter.com/MartinaBroe1/status/1318428754788683777?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

can we protest to get a hosepipe ban added to the restricitons, we need this to be taken seriously....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

I'm seeing very little in these measures that will make any sort of difference tbh. It's the absolute lightest of L5's possible. People thinking we are going to see numbers down to any sort of level that will enable Xmas to go ahead and resemble any sort of normality are living in the clouds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

forumdedum wrote: »

Step too far this time.

We done it before and look where we are now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

That 56 case outbreak from the lad returning from abroad that didn't self isolate highlights the weakness at the borders and the ineffectiveness of the request (which is all it is) for 2 weeks restricted movements.

I'd also be very wary of the timing of Fine Gaels video regarding the measure being confusing given the details of the 56 became available the following morning.

And worst still, looks like nothing will be done about. Eamon Ryan saying he had a phone call with his counterparts in the UK and Germany. I mean this is the man's remit, and now on the 20th of October he is having a phone call with them. No details beyond that. Pathetic

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement