Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Was that George Lee that ran right up to them again after the presser ended?

Come on George!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

saabsaab wrote: »
    There was a report in June that DNA analysis was being done to determine the origins of the virus within Ireland. (Cillian De Gascun?) Said it would be useful in a second wave. Has there been any further news on this?
    Haven't seen him in months. He's probably swamped.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭majcos

Had the press briefing on tv on in the background this evening. It’s the first time I have seen any of the press briefings since pandemic began.

It went on for about an hour and a half! Wandered in and out of room so I wasn’t watching it properly but I can’t believe how long it was on for. Is that typical? I never realized they lasted that long. Could not have watched that every day or even twice a week.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

majcos wrote: »
    Had the press briefing on tv on in the background this evening. It’s the first time I have seen any of the press briefings since pandemic began.

It went on for about an hour and a half! Wandered in and out of room so I wasn’t watching it properly but I can’t believe how long it was on for. Is that typical? I never realized they lasted that long. Could not have watched that every day or even twice a week.

Its usually an hour to an hour and a half

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭manniot2

They can’t get Tony cervical off the stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Mother-in-law on the phone to my other half in tears after hearing G.Lee making outlandish statements that everyone is 100 times more likely to catch COVID now than 4 months ago....talk about ****ing fake news, sensationalist bull**** from RTE yet again frightening mostly the type of person that has done things right for months and therefore haven’t increased their likelihood i.e. people who bother watching the news.

So many metrics would have to be accessed to determine regional and individual increased likelihood of infection with increased case numbers- not to mention we don’t even know how many of these cases are infectious.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭majcos

Stheno wrote: »
    Its usually an hour to an hour and a half
    Must be so repetitive.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Ballyjamesduff LEA in Cavan now has a 14 day incidence rate of 1488, which means that 1.5% of the population of that area has tested positive in the last 14 days.

Seems a bit risky to have schools open in an environment where 1 in every 67 people has tested positive in the last fortnight.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Must be so repetitive.

Yep they used to be shorter. I rarely watch them now as they are so verbose

And the tone has changed recently and is quite condescending - it generally goes along the lines of "well peoples behaviour has caused this", nothing addressed regarding the waste of the six months we had to get our Health Services improved even a little

marno21 wrote: »
    Ballyjamesduff LEA in Cavan now has a 14 day incidence rate of 1488, which means that 1.5% of the population of that area has tested positive in the last 14 days.

Seems a bit risky to have schools open in an environment where 1 in every 67 people has tested positive in the last fortnight.

Sounds like the gaa did some damage. And yet they are allowed to play on. What a country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,620 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Mother-in-law on the phone to my other half in tears after hearing G.Lee making outlandish statements that everyone is 100 times more likely to catch COVID now than 4 months ago....talk about ****ing fake news, sensationalist bull**** from RTE yet again frightening mostly the type of person that has done things right for months and therefore haven’t increased their likelihood i.e. people who bother watching the news.

So many metrics would have to be accessed to determine regional and individual increased likelihood of infection with increased case numbers- not to mention we don’t even know how many of these cases are infectious.

Nothing to do with George or RTE.
    The 14-day incidence was at 3 per 100,000 at the end of June - today it is 302 per 100,000 population. The risk of you being exposed to COVID-19 is now 100 times greater than it was 4 months ago. Please limit your risk by staying at home and following public health advice.

- Dr. Heather Burns, Deputy Chief Medical Officer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Wear a mask, doesn't matter how, just wear one. Fit in. Masks help. :rolleyes:

*Dr Kim Roberts of the Trinity College virology department told The Irish Times that while there was some evidence suggesting face masks when worn correctly can have “a modest effect” on reducing transmission of Covid-19, “if not worn correctly, masks can pose as a hazard and can potentially increase the risk of transmission of the virus”.

* US Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams not only wants people to stop buying facemasks to prevent the novel coronavirus, but warns that you actually might increase your risk of infection if facemasks are not worn properly.

"You can increase your risk of getting it by wearing a mask if you are not a health care provider," Adams said during an interview.

"Folks who don't know how to wear them properly tend to touch their faces a lot and actually can increase the spread of coronavirus," Adams said.

*Using a mask incorrectly however, may actually increase the risk of transmission, rather than reduce it.
    https://www.who.int/csr/resources/publications/Adviceusemaskscommunityrevised.pdf

*Acting Chief Medical Officer Ronan Glynn says while the level of compliance is encouraging, there are huge risks if people do not wear a mask properly.

"If we can just take the opportunity to remind people that if you are wearing them to wear them properly.

"We are seeing far too many people walking around with them under their chin.

"We are seeing many people wearing them but with their nose exposed.

"Neither of those things provide any protection and indeed may increase the risk."
    US2 wrote: »
    So you can't answer the question atall.

What's Twitter and YouTube got to do with the questions I asked ?

If masks work why have shops been forced to close ?

Actually, I'd like to hear an official answer to that question too. If they are of much use at all, then you could have retail open without much risk as people don't hang around for a significant amount of time. So if they are closing retail, it would suggest that they don't think masks are preventing spread. No?

I get masks in closed environments for long periods of time. But US2's question is valid imo.

Actually, I'd like to hear an official answer to that question too. If they are of much use at all, then you could have retail open without much risk as people don't hang around for a significant amount of time. So if they are closing retail, it would suggest that they don't think masks are preventing spread. No?

I get masks in closed environments for long periods of time. But US2's question is valid imo.

You'll be waiting, there is no one here that posts on an official capacity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

If someone is crying over a statistic on an rte broadcast, covid is the least of their worries.

Boggles wrote: »
    Nothing to do with George or RTE.

- Dr. Heather Burns, Deputy Chief Medical Officer

RTE and G.Lee have a responsibility to be non sensationalistic. Metrics don’t work like that regardless of who came up with them.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

I've never watched one.

RTE and G.Lee have a responsibility to be non sensationalistic. Metrics don’t work like that regardless of who came up with them.

He was quoting this evenings press release from NPHET. :confused:

Statistically as a whole the figure is accurate.

TBF there is a certain irony in you giving out about someone being sensationalist. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

1212 per 100k in the Ratoath LEA. Crazy numbers.

D.Q wrote: »
    If someone is crying over a statistic on an rte broadcast, covid is the least of their worries.

Even if they are 82?

Hope you’re as tuned in when you’re that age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

I get that there may be some factors that have reduced the risk of death in terms of treatment or perhaps the more conscious "shielding" of vulnerable groups for want of a better word, but I am having trouble with the following.

Nolan said now we would expect to see 5 deaths per 1000 or and IFR of 0.5%. But he reckons at the height of this we were only missing 1 in 3 cases. So say if that was true of the figures up to summer's end and we have caught nearly all since I would guess that's in and around 100K.

And IFR of 0.5% though totalling 1871 would be 374,200 cases. Now I don't doubt that is in excess of the actual infections but that is not far off 4 times how many they think have been infected.

So basically even though I know the above is way to simplistic, I can't help but feel the two statements regarding estimated cases and estimated IFR don't stack up and feel that they are underestimating the total number of cases.

• Advertisement

1212 per 100k in the Ratoath LEA. Crazy numbers.

Where can you see these numbers?

I get that there may be some factors that have reduced the risk of death in terms of treatment or perhaps the more conscious "shielding" of vulnerable groups for want of a better word, but I am having trouble with the following.

Nolan said now we would expect to see 5 deaths per 1000 or and IFR of 0.5%. But he reckons at the height of this we were only missing 1 in 3 cases. So say if that was true of the figures up to summer's end and we have caught nearly all since I would guess that's in and around 100K.

And IFR of 0.5% though totalling 1871 would be 374,200 cases. Now I don't doubt that is in excess of the actual infections but that is not far off 4 times how many they think have been infected.

So basically even though I know the above is way to simplistic, I can't help but feel the two statements regarding estimated cases and estimated IFR don't stack up and feel that they are underestimating the total number of cases.

IFR goes ape**** if the virus is let loose in Care Home and palliative care
    facilities.

The most accurate number to extrapolate up from is probably hospitalizations.

Boggles wrote: »
    He was quoting this evenings press release from NPHET. :confused:

Statistically as a whole the figure is accurate.

TBF there is a certain irony in you giving out about someone being sensationalist. :)

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.

I’m not saying it wasn’t statistically correct, but people less clever than you don’t have perspective.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

manniot2 wrote: »
    Where can you see these numbers?
    https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

marno21 wrote: »

Thats when we need localised responses, I know the countrys CT is gone Jim Bergerac, but there should be an upper limit over which schools should go online/distance till the numbers go down.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Just back from collecting the little one from camogie. There's was about 300 people in the park Between walkers, parent's and players. I guess its herd immunity or bust.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Chicke

Dont think the restrictions are going to work like they did in March to flatten the curve.people were genuinely worried back then now they are tired/frustrated and dont take the situation seriously enough.Employers not allowing people work from home...I hope Im wrong but what happens next if this lockdown doesnt work........

Chicke wrote: »
    Dont think the restrictions are going to work like they did in March to flatten the curve.people were genuinely worried back then now they are tired/frustrated and dont take the situation seriously enough.Employers not allowing people work from home...I hope Im wrong but what happens next if this lockdown doesnt work........

Traffic where I live in Dublin was about 25% normal volumes today

babyboom wrote: »
    My son's year (TY) were sent home early today as the school was so short staffed. Only 5th and 6th years to attend tomorrow. Two teachers tested positive at the weekend. I suspect the other teachers have been identified as close contacts by the teachers themselves rather than the HSE.

Would make more sense to send the 5th and 6th years home

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭JimToken

We just keep copying what everybody else does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Stheno wrote: »
    Traffic where I live in Dublin was about 25% normal volumes today

I passed through a few towns today, traffic was pretty much normal and the only places I seen closed was hairdressers and barber. Looked like business as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭boardise

Irish Talking League - Premier Division.

Verbosity 3; Brevity 0.
    Loquacity 5; Conciseness 2
    Directness 1;Digression 4

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brookers

I work in a public office, we see about 200 people a day x 5 days. ALL coming in cars with additional people and on public transport. Where I live traffic volumes very high, some non essential shops open, playgrounds packed, parents on top of each other outside school. People not avoiding you like they used to. Im not sure this lockdown is going to work in the same way as it did before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Limpy wrote: »
    Just back from collecting the little one from camogie. There's was about 300 people in the park Between walkers, parent's and players. I guess its herd immunity or bust.

There would of only been 298 if you didn't take your little one to camogie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭prunudo

Either boards is broken again or people don't care. Haven't seen the main covid thread so quiet in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭JimToken

China goes into lockdown

All Takeaways ordered to close

tenor.gif?itemid=9741636
    prunudo wrote: »
    Either boards is broken again or people don't care. Haven't seen the main covid thread so quiet in a long time.

Sorry, I was out chopping wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭boardise

Even if they are 82?

Hope you’re as tuned in when you’re that age.

Interesting to consider different attitudes among the elderly. One general assumption would be that anyone over, say, 80 is battle hardened and marked as a survivor -either from a good immune system or a degree of mental fortitude.
    The lady referred to here exhibits some hyperanxiety about things -and there's nothing wrong with that.. perhaps being ultra cautious has been her survival ploy.

Funnily enough I saw a vox pop on Ch.4 news y'day and up pops this woman who says,and I quote, ''I'm 83 and I don't give a sod.'' She accepts she'll be checking out fairly soon and if C19 gets her - it get's her...so be it. Feisty lady . If I was the virus I'd give her a wide berth ! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

It's funny, my local park had got back to normal in the last month or so, joggers, people walking their dogs, not particularly busy.
    Last couple of days it's mobbed again, seems tell people you are restricted to 5km and they have to get out. You can tell them easily - they are the ones giving you 10 meters gap as you go by. Maybe all we need to do to combat obesety is to make the 5km permanent!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

mloc123 wrote: »
    Genuine question... why do people think NPHET are "suppressing school cases"? What is the pay off for them on this?

Honestly I think if they now said schools were a major source of covid spreading in the community it would be lights out for Tony, NPHET and the government.

They just want to hold on to power no matter what.
    That's all it comes down to. Despite what they say they don't give two ****s about the nations health or the economy for that matter. If they did the whole Dail and public service would be put on the PUP to save the exchequer some money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

rodders999 wrote: »
    Lost 3 hours of my life to Garda checkpoints on the way to and from work today.

If only they were as proficient at breaking up massive house parties and shutting down 3 day piss ups inside pubs after county finals as they are at inconveniencing essential workers maybe we wouldn’t be at level 5 to begin with.

Actual police work?? Do you know how much paperwork comes from doing that??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

acupuncturist got made an essential service today but gyms aren't?
    f*cking ridiculous

#openthegyms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭prunudo

Sorry, I was out chopping wood.

I was having dinner, expected to be wading through pages but barely one extra in the time i was away.

OH got stopped on way back to work after lunch earlier. She's in childcare and was within 5km eitherway but the garda was adamant she needed a letter to say she was essential worker.
    I thought i read that letters weren't needed anymore, and anyway given there are no laws her attitude seemed a bit excessive given people are just trying their best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Limpy wrote: »

How big is this team and I presume everyone else there was saying the same about you.

There would of only been 298 if you didn't take your little one to camogie

Im pro herd immunity so the more the merrier.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Dr Tony is an arrogant ass.

Shouldn’t even be still employed in the role he has let alone running the show

Should have been sacked after the cervical cancer scandal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think that's a bit unfair.

Why don't you sign up and do the job how you think it should be done?

Probably be shunned. Ref: M. McCabe.

prunudo wrote: »
    I was having dinner, expected to be wading through pages but barely one extra in the time i was away.

OH got stopped on way back to work after lunch earlier. She's in childcare and was within 5km eitherway but the garda was adamant she needed a letter to say she was essential worker.
    I thought i read that letters weren't needed anymore, and anyway given there are no laws her attitude seemed a bit excessive given people are just trying their best.

Its a bit of a dose on the first day, esp like you said no laws yet

My OH works in a primary school, she asked for a letter a couple if times, they finally made one up. Printed lastnight, she works 50mins away but manages to avoid any checkpoints.

niallo27 wrote: »
    How big is this team and I presume everyone else there was saying the same about you.

There was soccer and camogie on an all weather pitch. New development with a gravel path around it. Gang's of youths kicking balls around and hanging about outside. Atleast 200 kids on the pitch. I dropped her and left. The only peaceful hour i get all day lol

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

Interesting to see 14 day incidence rate in Donegal had started to decline before level 5 started and even before/close to when level 4 started.

The Donegal folk look like they're trying to draw Mount Errigal on the chart there!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement