Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Limpy wrote: »
    Im pro herd immunity so the more the merrier.

I'm pro leprechauns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Compare the numbers posting here now to the first day after lockdown in March

Nobody cares anymore

Oh I think a majority do alright, and will follow the rules for the good of society. But at the same time might take a chance here and there for their sanity.

It's just that people are weary of the "same sht different day" information now. We know what has to be done. Some of us have a bit of time on our hands and use it by denigrating everything and everyone due to frustration and anger, which is very understandable.

The whole thing is playing politics and that includes Nphet, meanwhile we see the farce of the HSE and those poor nursing home residents in Ballinasloe. Jayzis I wouldn't expect that in a hovel of a country.

Many are totally fed up, can't see anyone, can't go anywhere, nothing to do etc. etc. And there is little light at the end of the tunnel either. Ramping up big time all over Europe too. Belgium is in rag order for example as is Spain.

I dunno anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭jackboy

theballz wrote: »
    acupuncturist got made an essential service today but gyms aren't?
    f*cking ridiculous

#openthegyms

That’s gas. Conning people is an essential service now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Supercell wrote: »
    It's funny, my local park had got back to normal in the last month or so, joggers, people walking their dogs, not particularly busy.
    Last couple of days it's mobbed again, seems tell people you are restricted to 5km and they have to get out. You can tell them easily - they are the ones giving you 10 meters gap as you go by. Maybe all we need to do to combat obesety is to make the 5km permanent!

I go for a cycle most evenings. Its nice to see all of the lovely ladies back out running and exercising. They went back to the Gyms in the last few months. Only this time they are wearing more clothes unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Goldrickssan

I go for a cycle most evenings. Its nice to see all of the lovely ladies back out running and exercising. They went back to the Gyms in the last few months. Only this time they are wearing more clothes unfortunately.

Weirdo

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭manniot2

Good man Richard haha

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

Would make more sense to send the 5th and 6th years home

And wouldn't you think teachers would have the sense to not be in close contact with each other?

Unleeeeess <strokes chin> being close-contacts is their handy way to avoid having to strike (and lose pay with it). Yes! Like the blue flu - but sneakier - and still on full pay! Ok, so my money is on all the teachers dropping out through close-contacts right after mid-term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Honestly I think if they now said schools were a major source of covid spreading in the community it would be lights out for Tony, NPHET and the government.

They just want to hold on to power no matter what.
    That's all it comes down to. Despite what they say they don't give two ****s about the nations health or the economy for that matter. If they did the whole Dail and public service would be put on the PUP to save the exchequer some money.

I have no particular grá for the government or NPHET.... but this is a very strange rant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Is it pronounced Enfet or Neffet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Wombatman wrote: »
    Is it pronounced Enfett or Neffett?

Neffett

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Mind you dont end up in a canal while you are staring!

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Neffett

Not if you're Matt Cooper :rolleyes: EN-FET

He can't pronounce anything correctly though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭prunudo

Its a bit of a dose on the first day, esp like you said no laws yet

My OH works in a primary school, she asked for a letter a couple if times, they finally made one up. Printed lastnight, she works 50mins away but manages to avoid any checkpoints.

She got a letter in the afternoon from her manager so its all good, just sounded like a power tripping gaurd. If you want to drive around all day within your 5km thats your own business, they can't stop you.
    Seems as usual they go after the easy pickings and try and scare the innocent folk.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Oh I think a majority do alright, and will follow the rules for the good of society. But at the same time might take a chance here and there for their sanity.

It's just that people are weary of the "same sht different day" information now. We know what has to be done. Some of us have a bit of time on our hands and use it by denigrating everything and everyone due to frustration and anger, which is very understandable.

The whole thing is playing politics and that includes Nphet, meanwhile we see the farce of the HSE and those poor nursing home residents in Ballinasloe. Jayzis I wouldn't expect that in a hovel of a country.

Many are totally fed up, can't see anyone, can't go anywhere, nothing to do etc. etc. And there is little light at the end of the tunnel either. Ramping up big time all over Europe too. Belgium is in rag order for example as is Spain.

I dunno anymore.

I think people are just pissed off with the flip flopping and u-turning that this government keep doing.

Id have more respect for them if they just put a plan in place and kept to it for the time frame allocated to it.

Level 2? Nope Dublin is on level 3 and a little bit the same day its announced.
    Level 3 for the whole country - we`ll stick to it for 14 days.
    10 days in and its level 5 for the whole country..but its not really level 5. Its level 3 with a bit of 4 and 5 mixed in.
    We were told we`d go up through the levels Not jump from 2 to 5.

Schools aren't causing outbreaks???--everyone on this thread knows differently and Id hazard a guess that anyone on the thread with kids in school has gotten texts about a student or teacher in the school with covid.

This is whats pissing people off...make a ****ing decision for **** sakes.
    Grow a pair and stick to the plan.
    Tell the truth. We`ll have more respect for you if you do.

Oh yeah and get rid of Donnelly -hes the most condescending prick in the government. He seems to talk down to everyone and hes never wrong.

Tony cervical on the late late again tomorrow. Get me the sick bucket.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

mcburns07 wrote: »
    I have no particular grá for the government or NPHET.... but this is a very strange rant.

Im just feeling all covided out this evening!!!

Its a bit of a dose on the first day, esp like you said no laws yet

My OH works in a primary school, she asked for a letter a couple if times, they finally made one up. Printed lastnight, she works 50mins away but manages to avoid any checkpoints.

I'm a graphic designer. I'm also out of work. I will make a letter saying anything you want with any logo you may need on it for €20! ;)

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Im just feeling all covided out this evening!!!

:pac: Understandable, I think we're all flipping between anger and resignation on a daily basis.

Wombatman wrote: »
    Is it pronounced Enfet or Neffet?

Enfet. N-PHET.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Private hospitals seem to have gone off the HSE Operations reports
    Laois number, 2 different ones being listed on GOV.IE and hub
    22-10-2020-p1.jpg
    22-10-2020-p2.jpg
    22-10-2020-p3.jpg
    22-10-2020-p4.jpg
    22-10-2020-p5.jpg
    22-10-2020-p6.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

boardise wrote: »
    Interesting to consider different attitudes among the elderly. One general assumption would be that anyone over, say, 80 is battle hardened and marked as a survivor -either from a good immune system or a degree of mental fortitude.
    The lady referred to here exhibits some hyperanxiety about things -and there's nothing wrong with that.. perhaps being ultra cautious has been her survival ploy.

Funnily enough I saw a vox pop on Ch.4 news y'day and up pops this woman who says,and I quote, ''I'm 83 and I don't give a sod.'' She accepts she'll be checking out fairly soon and if C19 gets her - it get's her...so be it. Feisty lady . If I was the virus I'd give her a wide berth ! :D

We have both ends of the spectrum in our house- my mother in law is a fearful type, always has been.
    My parents on the other hand embrace life and told me they didn't want to spend a winter in miserable weather and lockdown- asked me to book flights to Tenerife and are now in an apartment over there till jan/feb 21 all going well.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

Stheno wrote: »
    Yep they used to be shorter. I rarely watch them now as they are so verbose

And the tone has changed recently and is quite condescending - it generally goes along the lines of "well peoples behaviour has caused this", nothing addressed regarding the waste of the six months we had to get our Health Services improved even a little

Journalists are not asking pertinent questions maybe? The few times I watched them I found the journos asked about ten questions in one, how could anyone give a reasonable answer to multiple questions like that?

Sorry I haven't watched even one of them to the end, and don't anymore either, nor watched RTE news since around Easter. The news will filter through, abridged and to the point mostly from other sources without the drama attached. Some posters here have been amazing too with their up to the minute appraisals of the Pressers and analyses of the stats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Went out for a jog this afternoon and part of my jog took me past loads of kids walking home from school.

None of them gave a toss about social distancing or wearing masks.

Now I know you can say that they were in school together, but I spent a lot of years walking home or to the shops after school with friends from different classes, different years or even people from my class that I didn't sit near.

A six figure number of people put out of a job for what looks like will bring very little difference.

Who do NPHET and FFFG and the Greens blame then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Strangeness abounds. It definitely feels like there are a lot more shops open now than the March lockdown. Dublin streets still pretty full of people. Yes restaurants only takeaway, bookstores, other non-technology shops closed....but all that seems to amount to is simply creating hassle and inconvenience for people who need "non-essential" stuff, without giving a clue what that's supposed to do to curb the virus. Are we getting 1,000 cases a day due to people visiting bookstores or sitting down to have a cup of coffee? Hardly.

Public transport 25% percent capacity, but cars free to go as you will.....what does that do besides create chaos and worry for people needing the bus, and push them toward using/getting a car instead?

Along with schools open etc, it seems that in Level 5 lockdown, the vast majority of avenues for the virus to spread are still open, while all the businesses and services being shut down will at most provide an incremental decrease to the spread rate.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

We have both ends of the spectrum in our house- my mother in law is a fearful type, always has been.
    My parents on the other hand embrace life and told me they didn't want to spend a winter in miserable weather and lockdown- asked me to book flights to Tenerife and are now in an apartment over there till jan/feb 21 all going well.

Bhastard... I mean that in a good way. Fair play.

manniot2 wrote: »
    Tony cervical on the late late again tomorrow. Get me the sick bucket.

Don't watch it, boycott it.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Neffett

The Nphet. It’s not a standalone entity but a specific group formed for a specific function

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

US2 wrote: »
    In April the WHO and Dr Tony told us not to wear masks.

If masks work why is retail forced to close ?

If masks don't work why are we forced to wear them?
    Boggles wrote: »
    So we are back to April.

Listen, I can't compete with whatever fúcking lunatics you choose to populate your twitter or youtube feed with.

So I'm not going, if that's okay.
    US2 wrote: »
    So you can't answer the question atall.

What's Twitter and YouTube got to do with the questions I asked ?

If masks work why have shops been forced to close ?
    Actually, I'd like to hear an official answer to that question too. If they are of much use at all, then you could have retail open without much risk as people don't hang around for a significant amount of time. So if they are closing retail, it would suggest that they don't think masks are preventing spread. No?

I get masks in closed environments for long periods of time. But US2's question is valid imo.
    Boggles wrote: »
    You'll be waiting, there is no one here that posts on an official capacity.

Being pedantic, but still not able to offer a shred of a helpful response I see to this question.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

My prediction is school's won't go back after midterm and Numbers will largely stay the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Went out for a jog this afternoon and part of my jog took me past loads of kids walking home from school.

None of them gave a toss about social distancing or wearing masks.

Now I know you can say that they were in school together, but I spent a lot of years walking home or to the shops after school with friends from different classes, different years or even people from my class that I didn't sit near.

A six figure number of people put out of a job for what looks like will bring very little difference.

Who do NPHET and FFFG and the Greens blame then?

Why would they wear masks walking home from school

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Nobody cares anymore

Yeah you could miss 100 pages in 15 mins back then

Think its gonna pick up soon though

Europe is starting to burn, will be a fire soon

Lombardy Italy situation will happen in some places

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Seamai wrote: »
    That's frightening, three quarters of the French population are under curfew from 9pm tonight.

The curfew came in last week I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

saabsaab wrote: »
    There was a report in June that DNA analysis was being done to determine the origins of the virus within Ireland. (Cillian De Gascun?) Said it would be useful in a second wave. Has there been any further news on this?

https://twitter.com/elaneyk1/status/1318894227208736768?s=19

Apparently there has been a pilot study on genome sequencing of the virus in Ireland in various populations.
    It'll probably be a while before the data is published.

It would be useful to look at clusters in settings like schools and then determining whether they are all from the same strain or whether they were inflected in other settings. These variations may provide insight as to whether asymptomatic cases are from a different strain to those who become ill etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Apparently there has been a pilot study on genome sequencing of the virus in Ireland in various populations.
    It'll probably be a while before the data is punished.

It would be useful to look at clusters in settings like schools and then determining whether they are all from the same strain or whether they were inflected in other settings. These variations may provide insight as to whether asymptomatic cases are from a different strain to those who become ill etc.

Freudian slip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Nobody cares anymore

Or perhaps they are tired of the same old stuff being posted, or the constant bickering between diametrically opposed camps that drowns out any middle ground.

Plus, I think people still care but are bone weary of the constant coverage dragging their spirits down.

Fair play to Michael Mcnamara. Some speech in the dail today. Lockdown strategy is to “Absolve the state of its failures rather than give any incentive for the state to do something”

So the latest angle is the lockdown isn't strict enough and it's being written off before it even starts!

Some people are hard to please......

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brookers

Limpy wrote: »
    Bhastard... I mean that in a good way. Fair play.

Great people....life too short, if you pensioners and have the dosh, get the hell out.....

So the latest angle is the lockdown isn't strict enough and it's being written off before it even starts!

Could we ship all these people off to China? They would love it there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Almost every US states seeing large increases in cases..it must be a seasonal virus, it's just too much of a coincidence that most of the Northern Hemisphere even central Asian countries are all experiecing massive increases since Autumn began, with cases reducing massively in southern hemisphere at almost the exact same time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Dublin 14 Day LEA incidence numbers published today for 6th October to 19th October. Only 6 out of 31 LEA's saw a decline in cases confirming Level 3 was unsuccessful in cancelling out growth in Dublin. Socio-economic trend continues to be evident in the city and areas already with the highest incidence mostly showing increased growth compared to lower incidence areas

LEA Date Range Cases Increase LEA per 100k ROI per 100k Population
    BALLYMUN-FINGLAS LEA-6, DUBLIN 06/10/20 to 19/10/20 251 73.10% 456.3 279.3 55,010
    PALMERSTOWN-FONTHILL LEA-5, DUBLIN 06/10/20 to 19/10/20 147 98.65% 386.5 279.3 38,035
    ARTANE-WHITEHALL LEA-6, DUBLIN 06/10/20 to 19/10/20 194 41.61% 379.2 279.3 51,156
    CLONDALKIN LEA-7, DUBLIN 06/10/20 to 19/10/20 170 50.44% 365.4 279.3 46,520
    BLANCHARDSTOWN-MULHUDDART LEA-5, DUBLIN 06/10/20 to 19/10/20 125 56.25% 354.0 279.3 35,307
    LUCAN LEA-5, DUBLIN 06/10/20 to 19/10/20 114 48.05% 341.1 279.3 33,421
    BALLYFERMOT-DRIMNAGH LEA-5, DUBLIN 06/10/20 to 19/10/20 150 4.90% 325.6 279.3 46,068
    TALLAGHT SOUTH LEA-5, DUBLIN 06/10/20 to 19/10/20 104 44.44% 293.2 279.3 35,465
    ONGAR LEA-5, DUBLIN 06/10/20 to 19/10/20 102 10.87% 284.6 279.3 35,834
    CABRA-GLASNEVIN LEA-7, DUBLIN 06/10/20 to 19/10/20 149 34.23% 254.0 279.3 58,652
    CASTLEKNOCK LEA-6, DUBLIN 06/10/20 to 19/10/20 116 54.67% 251.5 279.3 46,126
    SWORDS LEA-7, DUBLIN 06/10/20 to 19/10/20 128 26.73% 249.2 279.3 51,370
    FIRHOUSE-BOHERNABREENA LEA-5, DUBLIN 06/10/20 to 19/10/20 85 34.92% 248.5 279.3 34,202
    KIMMAGE-RATHMINES LEA-6, DUBLIN 06/10/20 to 19/10/20 136 -2.16% 243.5 279.3 55,861
    SOUTH WEST INNER CITY LEA-5, DUBLIN 06/10/20 to 19/10/20 99 26.92% 233.8 279.3 42,344
    NORTH INNER CITY LEA-7, DUBLIN 06/10/20 to 19/10/20 131 -3.68% 205.9 279.3 63,612
    HOWTH-MALAHIDE LEA-7, DUBLIN 06/10/20 to 19/10/20 115 23.66% 204.8 279.3 56,139
    PEMBROKE LEA-5, DUBLIN 06/10/20 to 19/10/20 86 62.26% 189.1 279.3 45,473
    TALLAGHT CENTRAL LEA-6, DUBLIN 06/10/20 to 19/10/20 80 31.15% 185.1 279.3 43,215
    SOUTH EAST INNER CITY LEA-5, DUBLIN 06/10/20 to 19/10/20 75 27.12% 184.7 279.3 40,603
    RATHFARNHAM-TEMPLEOGUE LEA-7, DUBLIN 06/10/20 to 19/10/20 87 35.94% 181.6 279.3 47,909
    DONAGHMEDE LEA-5, DUBLIN 06/10/20 to 19/10/20 69 7.81% 165.9 279.3 41,593
    BALBRIGGAN LEA-5, DUBLIN 06/10/20 to 19/10/20 58 65.71% 158.6 279.3 36,570
    RUSH-LUSK LEA-5, DUBLIN 06/10/20 to 19/10/20 54 92.86% 155.7 279.3 34,674
    STILLORGAN LEA-6, DUBLIN 06/10/20 to 19/10/20 42 61.54% 137.7 279.3 30,508
    CLONTARF LEA-6, DUBLIN 06/10/20 to 19/10/20 74 27.59% 136.6 279.3 54,182
    BLACKROCK LEA-6, DUBLIN 06/10/20 to 19/10/20 39 85.71% 115.6 279.3 33,727
    KILLINEY-SHANKILL LEA-7, DUBLIN 06/10/20 to 19/10/20 40 -6.98% 105.0 279.3 38,082
    DUNDRUM LEA-7, DUBLIN 06/10/20 to 19/10/20 38 -11.63% 101.5 279.3 37,452
    DÚN LAOGHAIRE LEA-7, DUBLIN 06/10/20 to 19/10/20 37 -13.95% 88.9 279.3 41,627
    GLENCULLEN-SANDYFORD LEA-7, DUBLIN 06/10/20 to 19/10/20 28 -20.00% 76.5 279.3 36,622

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Almost every US states seeing large increases in cases..it must be a seasonal virus, it's just too much of a coincidence that most of the Northern Hemisphere even central Asian countries are all experiecing massive increases since Autumn began, with cases reducing massively in southern hemisphere at almost the exact same time

Not at all, it’s Trumps fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Being pedantic, but still not able to offer a shred of a helpful response I see to this question.

Work vs Don't work is not a binary question.

It's more do masks reduce risk.

So if I'm 2 metres away from you and you have covid and you are infectious and you breath in my direction as you tllk. You spray out particles of virus that travels in water droplets.

The mask will catch some of these droplets while other droplets pass through the mask in my direction.

So for the sake of argument let's say you are throwing out 20 droplets seeded with the virus every second and 5 are caught by the mask. By you wearing the mask you are reducing the risk of infecting me by a qaurter. Im also wearing a mask but if the mask catch the viral droplets I'm likely to mess up and touch the mask and catch the virus from hand to mouth anyway so wearing a mask doesn't protect me much.

So 100% of the population wearing a mask in all settings might reduce the unmitigated R0 figure from 5(per Nolan in today's press briefing) to 3.75 (made up figure based on my suggestion that a mask catches a quarter of droplets. The real figure is different).

Wearing a mask will help but it doesn't bring the R0 below 1. Especially since many people refuse to wear masks properly. We need additional measures like those introduced in level 5.

So do masks work? Well obviously it doesn't prevent transmission but instead reduce the amount of transmission. This is apparently not enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

bb1234567 wrote: »

It would highly unusual for a respiratory disease not to be seasonal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

No. What is needed is logic, effectiveness, and a clear plan - all of which are lacking. You either need real, total lockdown with a clear mission to end the virus, or let the economy live and be fair to people. This kind of neither here nor there, we'll do this but only a bit of it, etc. simply creates confusion, it is ineffective, and is damaging to the society as a whole

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Antares35 wrote: »
    The curfew came in last week I think.

It's being widened significantly from tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It'll probably be a while before the data is punished.

New Zealand are already on it.
    5 Oct, 2020 Kiwi scientists have designed a new way to unravel the genomic origins of "tricky" Covid-19 cases, which could shed fresh light on Auckland's August outbreak.

Genome sequencing creates a "genetic fingerprint" of a virus that has infected a person, and can help public health officials untangle different cases involved in an outbreak through their genetic sequences.

In New Zealand's first wave of Covid-19, scientists sequenced the genomes of 649 separate cases to reveal nearly 300 different introductions from different parts of the world.
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/covid-19-coronavirus-how-nz-genome-sequencing-just-got-smarter/I5DCDOCJHBRZWDTDEAVZ746WVM/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Work vs Don't work is not a binary question.

It's more do masks reduce risk.

So if I'm 2 metres away from you and you have covid and you are infectious and you breath in my direction as you tllk. You spray out particles of virus that travels in water droplets.

The mask will catch some of these droplets while other droplets pass through the mask in my direction.

So for the sake of argument let's say you are throwing out 20 droplets seeded with the virus every second and 5 are caught by the mask. By you wearing the mask you are reducing the risk of infecting me by a qaurter. Im also wearing a mask but if the mask catch the viral droplets I'm likely to mess up and touch the mask and catch the virus from hand to mouth anyway so wearing a mask doesn't protect me much.

So 100% of the population wearing a mask in all settings might reduce the unmitigated R0 figure from 5(per Nolan in today's press briefing) to 3.75 (made up figure based on my suggestion that a mask catches a quarter of droplets. The real figure is different).

Wearing a mask will help but it doesn't bring the R0 below 1. Especially since many people refuse to wear masks properly. We need additional measures like those introduced in level 5.

So do masks work? Well obviously it doesn't prevent transmission but instead reduce the amount of transmission. This is apparently not enough.

What is more effective? Mask at 1 metre social distance or no mask at 2 metres social distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Could we not just send NPHET and all the lockdown merchants to isolate in Leitrim and let the rest of us get on with life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Don't watch it, boycott it.

Don't normally watch it but will now. Easy to moan and blame.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement