Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

niallo27 wrote: »
    Why would they wear masks walking home from school

I'm not saying they should.

But I would say there'll be a few cases from them chatting to each other for over 20 minutes or so. Not all were walking home of course, some were hanging around.

Case numbers will likely go up as a result amongst school going ages and then slightly up in their parents' age groups.

Will give the lockdown crowd on here and in NPHET something to get them hard/wet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Sharp increase in new cases in Germany.

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1319382087711875073

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Dan O'Brien making far too much sense on Prime Time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

GazzaL wrote: »
    Could we not just send NPHET and all the lockdown merchants to isolate in Leitrim and let the rest of us get on with life?

Weird post of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

Dan O'Brien making far too much sense on Prime Time.

He's absolutely ridiculous.

The whole panel is painting an incredibly depressing picture. They're all discounting the possibility of vaccines coming soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Antares35 wrote: »
    The curfew came in last week I think.

Initially it was the 9 largest cities last week but today it was increased to cover 75% of the population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The whole panel is painting am incredibly depressing picture. They're all discounting the possibility of vaccines coming soon.

Painting a picture of an inept response really.

The point about counting every positive test regardless of symptoms as a case was an interesting one..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭HBC08

Antares35 wrote: »
    The curfew came in last week I think.

But,but ,but we're under the strictest lockdown in Europe dont ya know?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Limpy wrote: »
    Bhastard... I mean that in a good way. Fair play.

Tell me about it! They go for a month every year- think it’ll be 3 or 4 this year. If the kids school shuts I’ll be joining them!

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

lawred2 wrote: »
    Painting a picture of an inept response really.

The point about counting every positive test regardless of symptoms as a case was an interesting one..

What I don't understand is, governments literally all over the world who are advised by experts, are completely inept and managing the situation terribly, but somehow 4 lads on prime time have it all figured out and would do better?

I didn't really see his point, if you test positive, you have Covid, therefore you're a case. What's the point of arguing about symptomatic Vs asymptomatic? Both have the virus, and both spread the virus

Jesus RTE would want us running out the door into traffic

M

The whole panel is painting am incredibly depressing picture. They're all discounting the possibility of vaccines coming soon.

There's no point in putting it all on black thinking we will be grand when the vaccine comes, it may never come in which case we will be completely bankrupt with the virus still spreading with us not having enough money to treat anyone. Look at Aids, still no vaccine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

manniot2 wrote: »
    Fair play to Michael Mcnamara. Some speech in the dail today. Lockdown strategy is to “Absolve the state of its failures rather than give any incentive for the state to do something”

Yeah he's good to be fair

Comes across really well

Donnelly the slimy git didn't even look at him when he made that speech today, odious man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

She can drop shopping to me anytime she wants.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

That poor man on the Tonight show whose mother is in the nursing home in Galway

And some senator making excuses that its impossible to keep our ffs

HBC08 wrote: »
    But,but ,but we're under the strictest lockdown in Europe dont ya know?

Are restaurants and retail shut in France. Can they travel over 5k.

What I don't understand is, governments literally all over the world who are advised by experts, are completely inept and managing the situation terribly, but somehow 4 lads on prime time have it all figured out and would do better?

I didn't really see his point, if you test positive, you have Covid, therefore you're a case. What's the point of arguing about symptomatic Vs asymptomatic? Both have the virus, and both spread the virus

The point is that we can generally carry all sorts of viruses and not be symptomatic. That's a reality.

I didn't see four lads with anything figured out for what it's worth. I didn't see much in the way of workable plans other than just getting on it.

They're all discounting the possibility of vaccines coming soon.

There's no vaccine until there's a vaccine.

If anyone doesn't understand that, we need to plan to get on with our lives without a vaccine. We need a plan that will get us back to as much normality as possible. The death rate relating to covid is tiny. I don't think anyone expects everything to get to normal tomorrow, but we need to get people back to work, we need to make sure entrepreneurs can keep going with their adventures, and we need people back spending and accessing life saving services as they previously did-or even better than before.

If a vaccine comes along, then great.

But look back at all the cancer and HIV research over the decades. And we're still here with those problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,043 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Stheno wrote: »
    That poor man on the Tonight show whose mother is in the nursing home in Galway

And some senator making excuses that its impossible to keep our ffs

It's just sh!t show after sh!t show, anytime you turn on the news it's just worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Zebra3 wrote: »
    There's no vaccine until there's a vaccine.

If anyone doesn't understand that, we need to plan to get on with our lives without a vaccine. We need a plan that will get us back to as much normality as possible. The death rate relating to covid is tiny. I don't think anyone expects everything to get to normal tomorrow, but we need to get people back to work, we need to make sure entrepreneurs can keep going with their adventures, and we need people back spending and accessing life saving services as they previously did-or even better than before.

If a vaccine comes along, then great.

But look back at all the cancer and HIV research over the decades. And we're still here with those problems.

And don't recall lockdowns when they started.

M

Shocking that there appears to be not a single plan in place if a nursing home had a mass breakout of Covid amongst staff, this is 8 months after it all kicked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭sleepyman

She can drop shopping to me anytime she wants.

Ha ha!!I was thinking the same thing!What a hottie!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭MOR316

Shocking that there appears to be not a single plan in place if a nursing home had a mass breakout of Covid amongst staff, this is 8 months after it all kicked off.

It's not really...

It's expected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Watching Prime Time, and there is always a charlatan on as a guest pulling stats from his hole.
    The average age of death from Covid19 in Ireland is mid 80's. Wrong.
    Only a handful of people have died in Ireland under 65. Wrong.
    Flu kills more people than Covid19. Wrong. Covid19 kills over ten times more people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,021 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I haven't watched RTE news or current affairs for about two years now, and am all the better for it. You can get the headline news from many other sources. Forget the drama, fake news, so called experts, terrifying the lot of us they are. Feck them.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭majcos

HSE operations report 22/10

Confirmed Covid cases in hospital 301 as of 8pm - down from 309 at 8pm yesterday.

37 confirmed Covid cases in ICUs up from 35 yesterday.
    21 of those ventilated.

0 Covid-related deaths in ICU last 24 hours

37 available ICU beds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

There's no point in putting it all on black thinking we will be grand when the vaccine comes, it may never come in which case we will be completely bankrupt with the virus still spreading with us not having enough money to treat anyone. Look at Aids, still no vaccine.

why would you need a vaccine against AIDs? The chances of contracting it are Tiny. Hardly a Valid comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,021 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Terrifying alright, but not surprising. Hope they get a plan in place when hospital and care staff are out on the 14 day self isolation. Could you imagine skeleton staff in hospitals if there is an outbreak amongst staff, and add in flu.

This is just ridiculous, and someone should be put up against a wall for the lack of forward planning. But I suppose the 50million Senior Managers in the HSE couldn't agree or just thought, feck it, be grand. Back to your clipboards.

As we all know the HSE is accountable to no one. And it shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭MOR316

Watching Prime Time, and there is always a charlatan on

Harsh on Miriam

• Advertisement

Watching Prime Time, and there is always a charlatan on as a guest pulling stats from his hole.
    The average age of death from Covid19 in Ireland is mid 80's. Wrong.
    Only a handful of people have died in Ireland under 65. Wrong.
    Flu kills more people than Covid19. Wrong. Covid19 kills over ten times more people.

What is the average age of death actually, it can't be far off 80, the median age is late 80s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

sleepyman wrote: »
    Ha ha!!I was thinking the same thing!What a hottie!!

Who’s the hottie?

UrbanFret wrote: »
    why would you need a vaccine against AIDs? The chances of contracting it are Tiny. Hardly a Valid comparison.

Yet we had a massive panic over it in the 80s and early 90s.

Fear all over the media. Concerts raising huge sums of money.

Phenomenal virtue signaling opportunities too.

Freddie Mercury dying, absolutely milked to death by vested interests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,005 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Compare the numbers posting here now to the first day after lockdown in March

Nobody cares anymore

Not that nobody cares, just the situation isn’t evolving all that much...

No news or updates on vaccines, the only thing that’s happening is a return to lockdown as numbers dis improve. Rinse, repeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

PsychoPete wrote: »
    It's just sh!t show after sh!t show, anytime you turn on the news it's just worse
    That's RTE for you.
    I can guarantee that your mental health will radically improve if you stop watching RTE. You can easily catch up on the news online without the need to watch the purveyors of doom at RTE.
    Life is too short to spend it hooked watching and listening to the constant stream of negativity from our national broadcaster. They are doing our country a major disservice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

I was a teenager in the 80s . I can't recall much of a panic, I suppose it's a bit like my children now who don't think this is much of a deal either.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Tip:- Stop watching/listening.You can get all you need to know on your phone/computer.
    Why people feel the need to be watching/listening to it 18hrs a day is beyond me.
    It's just the same old sh!t regurgitated day after day 7 days a week.
    You'll feel better for it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I haven't watched RTE news or current affairs for about two years now, and am all the better for it. You can get the headline news from many other sources. Forget the drama, fake news, so called experts, terrifying the lot of us they are. Feck them.
    Do you save any time really though, because you seem to post about not watching RTÉ with intense frequency :D

I'm only messing, I hate it as well. It's a pox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

Yeah, only 36 million active HIV infections last year and 1 million deaths, nothing like the current sars-cov-2 numbers.

M

I was a teenager in the 80s . I can't recall much of a panic, I suppose it's a bit like my children now who don't think this is much of a deal either.;)

There was ads all over TV, they were saying you could get it from a toilet seat or from shaking someones hand. It's to a degree a lot like the waffle going on about Covid, not a single case documented of anyone getting the virus from shopping in a supermarket yet the media have people feeling like they are walking around in the core of Chernobyl when they pop out to buy a few groceries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

It was harder to get your hole though......or maybe that was just an excuse I made up to make me feel better:)

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

What is the average age of death actually, it can't be far off 80, the median age is late 80s.

The mean age is 81, and the IFR for those under 65 is circa 0.3% and that's based on confirmed cases so it would of course be much lower.

Poster was correct on the point regarding Covid fatality being higher than flu, but could not call someone a charlatan for pointing out deaths are primarily in those above 80 and that there have been very few deaths in those under 65 relative to the number of cases.

"Handful" was obviously not meant to be taken literally.

Kivaro wrote: »
    That's RTE for you.
    I can guarantee that your mental health will radically improve if you stop watching RTE. You can easily catch up on the news online without the need to watch the purveyors of doom at RTE.
    Life is too short to spend it hooked watching and listening to the constant stream of negativity from our national broadcaster. They are doing our country a major disservice.

Post of the day ^^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 19 JJandthebear

Thats because there wasn't, certainly not in the mainstream media and definitely not over here, Freddie Mercury for example insisted he had the flu!. It took a long time for AIDs to be reported on or to be addressed on television, meanwhile it had been quietly decimating the gay community in many countries.

Actual police work?? Do you know how much paperwork comes from doing that??

Seems that they were busy giving a few fools a slap around the head earlier in Grafton street, about time too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,005 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There are really only two to three behaviors that will enable you to get aids.

695 people were diagnosed with AIDS in 1983-1999 in Ireland. Compare that with the 54,476 people that have been diagnosed with covid in just over 7 months in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭MelbourneMan

Kivaro wrote: »
    That's RTE for you.
    I can guarantee that your mental health will radically improve if you stop watching RTE.

Who is responsible for the find/replace of 'mood' for 'mental health', and how did they do to the whole internet in one go ?

Who is responsible for the find/replace of 'mood' for 'mental health', and how did they do to the whole internet in one go ?

I think the point being made is if you use online media wisely you won't be exposed to as much "sensationalist media hype"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Feisar

Not to bothered by the rules this time. They don’t apply to our elected officials so it’s a “nah yer grand” from me this time. Seems the rules don’t apply if yer attending a funeral of, what was it, someone you greatly respected. Golf for others etc.

First they came for the socialists...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

MOR316 wrote: »
    Arsehole on TV3 saying we should ban the sale of alcohol :D

He's actually talking nonsense.

Why are nursing homes locked down when alcohol is still for sale he asked

Ehhh...

The most vulnerable are in nursing homes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement